PDA

View Full Version : Honey We're Killing the Kids

proud gonzo
5/19/2006, 09:21 PM
on TLC--has anybody watched this show? It's on now and my god, the kid is crybaby. This family is used to giving the 9 year old son anything he wants and now OH MY LORD he has to eat healthy food of reasonable proportions and actually exercise instead of sitting on his butt playing gameboy all day.

It's sad and funny all at once.

Melo
5/19/2006, 09:37 PM
I've watched it. I think it is interesting to see how these kids eating and exercising habits are influenced by their parents. Most of the children on that show are whiney, undisciplined, etc, but it's all the parents fault. They dont tell their children when to stop, and they never tell their children 'no'. Or if they do tell them No, they never enforce it, and dont punish the children when needed. I've stopped watching the show because it irritates me,

Skysooner
5/19/2006, 09:40 PM
I just heard my cousin had his family try out for American Nanny or one of those shows and made the semis before they decided against showing his family. Yet another black eye for my extended family.

jacru
5/19/2006, 10:06 PM
the real "winners" don't get selected. Well adjusted people don't bring in the ratings.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/19/2006, 10:54 PM
One thing that irrates me is hearing parents say" i want my kids to have all the things i didnt" or "want them to not experience the things I did"...which there are a certain amount of things obviously that kids shouldnt go thru....

but giving your kids every single thing they ask for because you didnt get it is stupid.....the experiences you had helped form who you are so telling them "no" every once in a while(or a lot) is good for them....

Now I shall step off of my box

LoyalFan
5/20/2006, 08:52 AM
Circa the mid-80's, I hunted and fished with a guy who was morbidly obese. When I first made his acquaintance I thought "Jeebus! Whatta pork!" Then, I met his wife and 9-yr-old son...OMG! That woman was so fat she had her own Zip Code and the poor kid was well on his way to an early death from obesity. Broke my pea-pickin' heart.
As our friendship grew, I watched, sadly, as the son progressed further down the drain.
Example: One evening, after all hands had enjoyed some great dove shooting at my lease, we repaired to a private boozery and steakhouse in a small Texas town. Fat Earl had brought his kid down to camp with us overnight and so the lad took his place at the table with the gr'ups.
The toothsome young morsel that was our server (and the owner's daughter) sashayed over and asked Fat Earl what he'd like. (Are you sitting down?) The response: "The 16 oz T-bone, TWO baked potatos, I want extra butter and sour cream with those, and six rolls. For dessert I want the chocolate cake with an extra scoop of ice cream." Wow!
Then, she turned to the boy, who'd spent the day engulfing a large package of Oreos(TM), several bags of chips, Slim Jims(TM) and at least a dozen Big Red (TM) sodas. His order? Two cheeseburgers, double fries, onion rings, and the same dessert as Dad's. To drink? "Big Red"..."We don't have that."...so the kid goes to the truck and returns with FOUR cans of that crap.
A few days later, Mrs F.E. tells me they've withdrawn the Cartman lookalike from public school and are suing the district. Reason: "Those heartless little bastards make fun of him." It was all I could do to refrain from harpooning the bitch.
I ask you, ladies and gentlemen of the jury; Should there not be a place in prison and, later, Hell, reserved for people who do this to their kids?

LoyalTheSlightlyPortlyFan

StoopTroup
5/20/2006, 09:00 AM
I've watched it. I think it is interesting to see how these kids eating and exercising habits are influenced by their parents. Most of the children on that show are whiney, undisciplined, etc, but it's all the parents fault. They dont tell their children when to stop, and they never tell their children 'no'. Or if they do tell them No, they never enforce it, and dont punish the children when needed. I've stopped watching the show because it irritates me,
How many children have you raised?

BoogercountySooner
5/20/2006, 09:12 AM

Ding Ding Ding we have a winner!:)

dolemitesooner
5/20/2006, 09:12 AM
dUDE SHE HAS LIKE 4 KIDS BY 2 DIFFERANTT BABY DADDYS

BajaOklahoma
5/20/2006, 10:00 AM

Melo, you get it. Ignore the others.
Last night, Lil Baja and I went to an early dinner at a local Tex-Mex place. I knew that we were risking the company of families of young kids, so not a big deal.
The two moms in the corner booth had 5 kids, all under age 5. None of the kids would remain seated for longer than a few minutes. They ran between the tables full of other diners, laughing and yelling, while the moms sat and talked. Annoying, but the kids weren't screaming in anger.
The couple left before us and stopped to talk to the moms. Not sure of their exact words, but the mom's faces were getting red and they were NOT happy. They left in a huff shortly after that.
As we left, we passed many families with well-behaved kids. The parents were busy entertaining them and keeping them appropriate. Kudos to them.
I spent many a meal in the car with a young child who could not behave, while my husband and other children enjoyed their meal. Our rule was once you misbehave and are removed to the car, you do not go back in. The kids learned quickly how to behave.

StoopTroup
5/20/2006, 10:03 AM
Some of us like to let our kids run around while we have our jollies watching the folks around us get mad in the face. Then we tab out and go home, tuck them in, read to them, say their prayers and tell them stories of great Sooner Football moments. Then we head into the kitchen and sit on our ice chest and post on the South Oval. :D I'm just kidding BTW.

dolemitesooner
5/20/2006, 10:14 AM
Some of us like to let our kids run around while we have our jollies watching the folks around us get mad in the face. Then we tab out and go home, tuck them in, read to them, say their prayers and tell them stories of great Sooner Football moments. Then we head into the kitchen and sit on our ice chest and post on the South Oval. :D I'm just kidding BTW.
:D

proud gonzo
5/20/2006, 12:15 PM

just because someone doesn't have kids means they can't have an opinion on parenting? I still live with my parents for a third of the year and I damn well remember how I was raised. i think that gives me the right to have an opinion on raising children.

Czar Soonerov
5/20/2006, 12:43 PM
Opinions are just like *******s, everyone's got one.

/obligatory

Sooner_Bob
5/20/2006, 12:49 PM
It's a little different when you're the one who actually has to do the discipline. My biggest problem is I'm not consistent. I think that is the problem with a large majority of parents these days. Well, that and the fact that they don't want to "damage" the psyche of their kid by spanking them.

Spare the rod, spoil the child . . .

Flagstaffsooner
5/20/2006, 01:00 PM
Our rule was once you misbehave and are removed to the car, you do not go back in.In the trunk on a 100 degree day will teach the little boogers.;)

BajaOklahoma
5/20/2006, 01:08 PM
In the trunk on a 100 degree day will teach the little boogers.;)

How about we make it the parents who fail to control their kids?
Or, even better, they have to pay for everyone's meal?

StoopTroup
5/20/2006, 01:13 PM
When they are yours and you are ultimately responsible...it's just different.

Say you adopt and the kids becomes a mass murders...you will always have the out that...It must have been genetic. :D

MamaMia
5/20/2006, 02:03 PM
My sister and I were dining at the Olive Garden last week. We were sitting next to a table with 3 adults whos 4 children were acting like little monsters. They were also running the poor little waitress ragged, bless her heart. The manager finally asked them to either settle the kids down or leave. They left without paying the bill. We tipped the waitress an extra 10.00 to help make up for some of the money she lost.

I just dont get it. My husband and I took five 9 and 10 year old pee wee football players, a 4 yr. old little boy and his 7 year old sister to the Red and White game and sat in the club. The deal was that if just one of them misbehaved we would not go to Joes Crab Shack after the game.

Everytime just one of those kids even so much as thought about acting up, I'd give them my evil eye and they would say "What?" All I had to do was say "You know what." We got two comments from strangers on how well behaved the kids were. I bought them those twinkling glasses at Joes because I was proud of them for respecting the rules.

StoopTroup
5/20/2006, 02:10 PM
Threats like that won't always work.

What if just one of them didn't want Joe's Crab shack and was evil enough to wait until you were in the club section to have his/her meltdown.

I've got a nephew that is so freakin diabolical that it seems he enjoys upsetting everyone...no matter the cost.

He's better than he was 2 years ago though.

He can comb his hair, tuck his shirt in and head to the nicest event and if you didn't know him, you'd swear he's an angel. But at his worst...he frankly scares the heck out of me. I'm pretty sure he's going to take his future Teams to state and have an outstanding College career before going to prison after his 3rd NFL season.

Melo
5/20/2006, 02:30 PM
just because someone doesn't have kids means they can't have an opinion on parenting? I still live with my parents for a third of the year and I damn well remember how I was raised. i think that gives me the right to have an opinion on raising children.

Amen to that.

MamaMia
5/20/2006, 03:24 PM
Threats like that won't always work.

What if just one of them didn't want Joe's Crab shack and was evil enough to wait until you were in the club section to have his/her meltdown.

I've got a nephew that is so freakin diabolical that it seems he enjoys upsetting everyone...no matter the cost.

He's better than he was 2 years ago though.

He can comb his hair, tuck his shirt in and head to the nicest event and if you didn't know him, you'd swear he's an angel. But at his worst...he frankly scares the heck out of me. I'm pretty sure he's going to take his future Teams to state and have an outstanding College career before going to prison after his 3rd NFL season.I have taken most of these same kids for years, so I knew for a fact that they wanted to go to Joes. The kids who have a history of misbehaving were not invited.

How old is your nephew?

jrsooner
5/21/2006, 10:15 AM
I spent many a meal in the car with a young child who could not behave, while my husband and other children enjoyed their meal. Our rule was once you misbehave and are removed to the car, you do not go back in. The kids learned quickly how to behave.My kids hate that!!! I always make sure I have a book, ipod, etc. readily available in the car for myself. They have to sit down, be quiet, and seatbelted in until the rest of the family comes out. :)

crawfish
5/21/2006, 11:47 AM
Amen to that.

Right on! I was an expert on raising kids once, too. :cool:

StoopTroup
5/21/2006, 11:57 AM
I have taken most of these same kids for years, so I knew for a fact that they wanted to go to Joes. The kids who have a history of misbehaving were not invited.

How old is your nephew?
8 in August.

yermom
5/21/2006, 11:57 AM
Right on! I was an expert on raising kids once, too. :cool:

if you can't control your kids, why punish everyone else by taking them out in public? :P

StoopTroup
5/21/2006, 11:58 AM
Kids are going to have off days.

yermom
5/21/2006, 12:04 PM
yeah, but those kids are allowed to act that way, it's not like the parents can't do something, they just aren't

either before or during

crawfish
5/21/2006, 12:06 PM
if you can't control your kids, why punish everyone else by taking them out in public? :P

You can't train 'em to behave if you don't ever put 'em in the situations to begin with.

Oh, and "control" is something I gave up years ago. Little buggers have minds of their own. Who knew?

yermom
5/21/2006, 12:10 PM
i'm not talking about control, i mean like the examples above taking them out of the situation

StoopTroup
5/21/2006, 12:13 PM
People who don't have kids should stow it IMO. :D

The ones that do and have their kids under control may have them medicated for all I know. I think you just have to pull them to the side, get down on their level, make sure they are looking you in the eye and calmly explain why you are taking the time to talk to them. It works for me 9 times out of 10. If kids are being unruly they may just be trying to get your attention. On the other hand they may just be playing around or bored or hungry or even tired. The more you take them out and expose them to the world the more they are going to see all of your perfect children as an example. :D

yermom
5/21/2006, 12:19 PM
so Craw and StoopTroup, why didn't you pay your bill at Olive Garden last week? :P

StoopTroup
5/21/2006, 12:28 PM
They kept saying "just say when" while grating the parmesan...I just wouldn't say when and then I told her to go get another brick when she ran out, I told her to hurry up and come back before it was cold. ;)

She never came back so I turned the kids loose. :D

StoopTroup
5/21/2006, 12:46 PM
BTW...

I'd never take the kids to Mahogany's or Flemings but McGills or Charlestons...you better be ready for us. ;)

Czar Soonerov
5/21/2006, 01:09 PM

Why don't you take some of your own advice and quit punishing everyone else by taking Doleo out in public.

:dolemite:

BajaOklahoma
5/21/2006, 03:30 PM
Stoop, I am talking toddler age. By the time they passed that age, they knew what was expected. By age 2, my daughter could participate at the Holiday meal at the Country Club. I would bring small, quiet toys to amuse them, if needed. But they were my kids and their behave was my responsiblity. As a parent, if you choose to put them in a situation they can't handle, it is your job to remove them. My kids were always amazed that some parents wouldn't control or remove their kids.

yermom
5/21/2006, 03:35 PM
Why don't you take some of your own advice and quit punishing everyone else by taking Doleo out in public.

:dolemite:

touche

MamaMia
5/21/2006, 04:25 PM
8 in August.
Drop him off at my house for a week.

StoopTroup
5/21/2006, 04:56 PM
Drop him off at my house for a week.
Heh...I think I could straighten him out too.

The thing is...he's so crafty that he'd be a model child for us.

Ten minutes back with his parents and he'd be plotting something...lol.

soonerbrat
5/21/2006, 05:11 PM
I watched that show once. The family had hordes of candy all over the house. The mom was a smoker and drank tons of coffee and she was supposed to give all that up cold turkey and she flat refused. The dad hid candy in his closet but then 'fessed up and threw it out. When they were throwing out all the processed food, the mom had a fit when the dad tried to throw out the ketchup. they went shopping for fresh foods and the mom didn't even know the names of the vegetables. they had never bought any before. I had to leave before it was over, so i'm not sure what happened.

BoogercountySooner
5/21/2006, 05:41 PM
I think the computer enhanced aging of the kids is stupid. That is all!

Czar Soonerov
5/21/2006, 09:34 PM
One of our nephews (9) was grossed out when our son ate some green beans in front of him, he'd never seen them before. The nephew is a good athlete, but he's quite a chunk. His diet seems to consist of pepperoni pizza & candy.

Before we had our first, we decided to use the nephew as a model on how not to raise our kids when it comes to eating habits.