PDA

View Full Version : excel & IE

Czar Soonerov
5/19/2006, 03:28 PM
We use IE at work & at the end of the day we download reports from our home office server. About 3 weeks ago we started getting an error message saying the file could not be located. So I have to log off the computer as the user and log back on as the admin. and then it works fine. It's getting to be a pain in the a$$ and the company computer guy (Nick, his name really is Nick) can't figure it out.

Help?!? :O

Mjcpr
5/19/2006, 03:31 PM
Sounds like a permissions issue. That's all I'm going to say because I don't know anything else about Admin permissions and whatnot.

For some reason I thought you were self-employed. Or do you just talk like that so you're not so lonely at work?

mdklatt
5/19/2006, 03:32 PM
We use IE at work & at the end of the day we download reports from our home office server. About 3 weeks ago we started getting an error message saying the file could not be located. So I have to log off the computer as the user and log back on as the admin. and then it works fine. It's getting to be a pain in the a$$ and the company computer guy (Nick, his name really is Nick) can't figure it out.

It sounds like you no longer have read privileges on the folder on the home office server that contains the reports. But surely Nick would have checked that already....

FYI and FWIW, I don't think this has anything to do with Excel or IE. YWIA.

Flagstaffsooner
5/19/2006, 03:33 PM
The servers blinker fluid is obviously low.

Czar Soonerov
5/19/2006, 03:36 PM
Hmm, I'll ask him.

I quit the tax bidness in December. I have no stress now, the only thing I worry about is showing up. No more calls at 9 at night or on the weekends, no more deadlines. Did I mention I have no stress now?

Mjcpr
5/19/2006, 03:38 PM
I quit the tax bidness in December. I have no stress now, the only thing I worry about is showing up. No more calls at 9 at night or on the weekends, no more deadlines. Did I mention I have no stress now?

I don't think you two take the SO seriously anymore. First you had a career change then VK tries to take out a large cement block in your new car and today is the first we've heard of it.

Disappointing.

n8v_ndn
5/19/2006, 03:39 PM
Typical Support Answer (upgrade) :texan:
http://i3.microsoft.com/h/en-us/i/ie7_beta2_2_10.jpg

How does this match up to the problem?

"Cannot find the file" error message when you open Excel files from outside of Excel (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/296055/en-us)

BeetDigger
5/19/2006, 03:43 PM
Sounds like a server problem. Go give it a quick swift kick, that should take care of it. If that doesn't work, unplug all of the cables on back and then plug them back in. Do it while it is up and running and while other folks are attempting to read and write to it. It may not fix the problem but it should be loads of fun to mess with your co-workers.

Partial Qualifier
5/19/2006, 03:43 PM

Help?!? :O

Are you logging off your Windows network domain account, and then logging on as the local computer's admin account -- and then it works?

colleyvillesooner
5/19/2006, 03:45 PM
http://www.horrordvds.com/reviews/misc/pictures/nerds.jpg

BlondeSoonerGirl
5/19/2006, 03:46 PM
Leave it to PQ to geek-up a good thread...

Oh, wait...

Partial Qualifier
5/19/2006, 03:46 PM
And if you can, clarify what you mean about Excel & IE - for example, are these Excel reports, and you go to an intra-company website and click links to these excel reports? Or what.

Czar Soonerov
5/19/2006, 03:47 PM
Are you logging off your Windows network domain account, and then logging on as the local computer's admin account -- and then it works?

Yes. It has two domains on it, our local computer and the home office domain. Both work if I log in is the admin. but not as the user.

Czar Soonerov
5/19/2006, 03:48 PM
And if you can, clarify what you mean about Excel & IE - for example, are these Excel reports, and you go to an intra-company website and click links to these excel reports? Or what.

exactly.

Partial Qualifier
5/19/2006, 03:51 PM
Log in as the local admin account again, right-click My Computer, select Manage.

Navigate to "Local users & groups", open groups, then double-click "Administrators".

Click Add, go find your normal Domain account, add it to the Administrators group, then log off the admin acct. and log back on as your normal domain account and see if that fixes it.

Probably not the best solution but it'd be a quick way to rule out alot of possible causes.

BlondeSoonerGirl
5/19/2006, 03:52 PM
Oh, blimey...

Mjcpr
5/19/2006, 03:53 PM
MOVE!!

Czar Soonerov
5/19/2006, 03:54 PM
I left the laptop at work. I'll do it on Monday. Did I mention that I get off at 3 every day? :D

Partial Qualifier
5/19/2006, 03:56 PM
When you click the reports, does it normally prompt you to save them -- or does it just open up an Excel instance inside of IE, and then you save it off somewhere?

Partial Qualifier
5/19/2006, 03:56 PM
Oh, blomey...

...go on

Czar Soonerov
5/19/2006, 04:00 PM
When you click the reports, does it normally prompt you to save them -- or does it just open up an Excel instance inside of IE, and then you save it off somewhere?

It promps to save or open. I've tried both & I get the same message. Would a new user account be the easiest way to go?

Partial Qualifier
5/19/2006, 04:17 PM
Like a new local account which you could create yourself? You could try that, it'd rule out (or identify) the possibility that there's something wrong with your P.C.'s Windows "profile" for the CzarS domain account, or maybe something they're pushing out with group policy which is affecting domain user profiles.

You've tried emptying CzarS's cache & cookies, etc. basic stuff like that?

Partial Qualifier
5/19/2006, 04:22 PM
Surely they haven't dinked up the permissions on the file/web server so that it's local admin account is the only account that has permissions to it... and your local admin account's password happens to match the file/web server's local admin account.. surely not but it's a possibility.

And you know the home office domain's admin password? Is it the same as the local computer's admin password, and Nick told you what it was? :eek:

OCUDad
5/19/2006, 04:22 PM
For five bucks, you can go down to your nearest office supply store, buy a half dozen No. 2 pencils and a bunch of graph paper. Problem solved.

BeetDigger
5/19/2006, 04:24 PM
Did I mention that I get off at 3 every day? :D

Pervert.

Czar Soonerov
5/19/2006, 04:28 PM
Surely they haven't dinked up the permissions on the file/web server so that it's local admin account is the only account that has permissions to it... and your local admin account's password happens to match the file/web server's local admin account.. surely not but it's a possibility.

And you know the home office domain's admin password? Is it the same as the local computer's admin password, and Nick told you what it was? :eek:

Yes, as far as I can tell. We are a small company, it's not like it's a major corporation or anything.

Partial Qualifier
5/19/2006, 04:35 PM
Sorry for the overanalyzation then. Nick needs to check the permissions either on the file server/folder where the .XLSes live, or on the I.I.S. site/page itself. It's probably that simple if it's affecting everyone

Czar Soonerov
5/19/2006, 04:43 PM
I don't think it's a permissions thing. It opens the adobe acrobat reports with no problems, it's just the excel reports that it doesn't open.

mdklatt
5/19/2006, 04:44 PM
I don't think it's a permissions thing. It opens the adobe acrobat reports with no problems, it's just the excel reports that it doesn't open.

Then check the permissions on the Excel reports. Never mind...MOVE!