PDA

View Full Version : athlons top 25!

HwMchUBnch
5/18/2006, 11:08 PM
is gonna have OU at #1. they r currently on #8 and as each day goes by they r releasing another ranking up until may 24th which will show who they have #1 overall. well some kid on an ncaa forum found a way to see the whole top 25 right now. im pretty excited they have OU ranked #1. whats ur thoughts on this? anyways here is the top 25 below along with a link to the website.

25. Nebraska
24. Arizona State
23. Utah
22. Texas Tech
21. Virginia Tech
20. Tennessee
19. Oregon
18. TCU
17. Florida State
16. Iowa
15. Georgia
14. Miami
13. Michigan
12. Clemson
11. LSU
10. Louisville
9. Auburn
8. Cal
7. Texas
6. West Virginia
5. Florida
4. Ohio State
3. USC
2. Notre Dame
1. Oklahoma

here is a link to the website
http://www.athlonsports.com/college-football/

Vegas Sooner
5/18/2006, 11:17 PM
....what forum??

HwMchUBnch
5/18/2006, 11:18 PM
http://boards.ign.com/ncaa_football_ea/b6051/117829192/p1/?46

go about halfway down the page and that is when they figure out how to view the whole top 25.

jccouger
5/18/2006, 11:28 PM
I dont want us to be ranked that high preseason

BASSooner
5/18/2006, 11:34 PM
no......no.....no.......

yermom
5/18/2006, 11:38 PM
heh, changing the date on my computer freaked it out

BASSooner
5/18/2006, 11:39 PM
yup crap...they have us at #1

kelloggOUballa
5/19/2006, 02:49 AM
hah my computer too.....funny stuff tho

HwMchUBnch
5/19/2006, 06:06 AM
its exciting. gives me hope that we have a better team then i thought.

AlbqSooner
5/19/2006, 06:59 AM
Athlon is traditionally as wrong as Playboy with its pre-season picks. The only time I want to be ranked #1 this season is after the BCS title game.

NormanPride
5/19/2006, 10:24 AM
Who cares. Preseason hype is one of the things wrong with CFB. This kind of crap screws good teams over later in the season. It's the human mind's tendency to believe hype that puts teams like ND at the top when they haven't beaten anyone of worth. It's that same tendency that puts 80 SEC teams in the top 25 even though half of them have .500 w/l records.

The BCS was originally created to eliminate this, but the people who run it pandered too much to public opinion and added MORE of a human element rather than eliminating it completely, which is what we need if we don't have a playoff like every other damn sport that's worth anything.

sooner94
5/19/2006, 10:28 AM
I kind of like that we are #1 in at least one poll. Obviously its not a poll that matters, like the coaches poll and the other one that goes into the BCS. But it shows that people know last year was an off year. I remember the studio guys at CBS, and especially ABC, at the end of last season were really talking about how good OU could be this season.

I think Ohio St will be #1 in those and have all the pressure starting out (then their D will get exposed).

We'll be top 5 or not much outside of the top 5 in the main polls.

AD for Heisman! It's been a while since we have had a Heisman winner.;)

soonervegas
5/19/2006, 10:39 AM
Has someone told NickZepp about this?

tnobis60
5/19/2006, 10:58 AM
interesting statistic in Athlon article

Texas has posted the best record in Division I-A over the last five years at
56–8

sooner94
5/19/2006, 11:15 AM

56–8

And in 4 of those 5 years there is a certain team that beat them, often by a large margin.

snp
5/19/2006, 11:58 AM

56–8

:rolleyes: Who did half of those losses come against?

OU has the best record over the past 6 years.

FlatheadSooner
5/19/2006, 12:07 PM

56–8

OU = more championship wins + more championship games > SAXET
:D

Coloradosker
5/19/2006, 12:09 PM
WTF? No offense to you sooners, I think you guys are going to be good next year, but there are plenty of teams that deserve the #1 ranking over you right now. Too many unanswered questions about your OL and AD. JMHO.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
5/19/2006, 12:11 PM
So, whorns, if both tOSU and OU are ranked ahead of you guys, guess how many losses you'll have after the game in early Oct. on a "neutral? field.

Soonerman08
5/19/2006, 01:03 PM
WTF? No offense to you sooners, I think you guys are going to be good next year, but there are plenty of teams that deserve the #1 ranking over you right now. Too many unanswered questions about your OL and AD. JMHO.

Problem with your logic is there really is NO clear cut #1 team out there. Notre Dame???? Too many questions on Defense, and as I recall Defense is important in winning a national title, plus yeah their offense will be good, but I am thinking Ohio State's offense will be much better than Notre Dame. (See Last season's Fiesta Bowl). I am not too convinced that we are #1 caliber just yet, but top 5 easily. It looks as though our defense might return to the Stoops' defense of old, and if that is the case then everyone watch out. OU's back! :P

snp
5/19/2006, 01:12 PM

Well as long as you preface your statement with "no offense" then everything is a-okay!

And also, add some content to the thread. List what teams you think are better.

chriscappel
5/19/2006, 01:16 PM
is gonna have OU at #1. they r currently on #8 and as each day goes by they r releasing another ranking up until may 24th which will show who they have #1 overall. well some kid on an ncaa forum found a way to see the whole top 25 right now. im pretty excited they have OU ranked #1. whats ur thoughts on this? anyways here is the top 25 below along with a link to the website.

25. Nebraska
24. Arizona State
23. Utah
22. Texas Tech
21. Virginia Tech
20. Tennessee
19. Oregon
18. TCU
17. Florida State
16. Iowa
15. Georgia
14. Miami
13. Michigan
12. Clemson
11. LSU
10. Louisville
9. Auburn
8. Cal
7. Texas
6. West Virginia
5. Florida
4. Ohio State
3. USC
2. Notre Dame
1. Oklahoma

here is a link to the website
http://www.athlonsports.com/college-football/

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v123/antunesrj/Nelson_haha.jpg

Quack 10
5/19/2006, 01:28 PM
Athlon is traditionally as wrong as Playboy with its pre-season picks.

That is a fact! I don't mind where they ranked Oregon, but Cal is WAY too high.

soonerhubs
5/19/2006, 01:29 PM
Well as long as you preface your statement with "no offense" then everything is a-okay!

The "WTF?" preface annoyed me the most.

To be shocked by a preseason ranking is kinda silly because they hold about as much clout as a fly or Gary Barnett. (No offense :))

PDXsooner
5/19/2006, 01:30 PM
maybe i'm retarded, but where do you change the date?

SoonerJedi
5/19/2006, 01:52 PM

I agree and disagree.

I disagree that there aren't "plenty of teams" that deserve to be ranked above OU. There are no questions about AD either (but I do agree with you about our OL - it depends a lot on how the JC players we picked up do). AD is a starter on any team in the nation. I think Ohio State should be #1, other than that everyone has questions right now. This isn't like last year where you knew USC would be #1 coming into the year. Everyone at the top has dropped off, and a lot of teams that weren't ready to contend last year are going to be much improved this year. There just isn’t anyone devoid of questions this year.

Notre Dame is ranked highly by everyone, but they were trounced by Ohio State last year when it mattered. They played tough against USC, but really they didn't have a big list of impressive wins. They barely beat Michigan which got pummelled by Nebraska in the bowl game - and that was Notre Dame's one "big win".

USC has lost most of their offense, and their defense isn't that good. They have recruited well, but it's not easy to try and plug-and-play an almost entirely new offense.

Texas drops because they lost too many key defensive players plus the only player they've had in six years that gave OU a problem stopping. They won't be as good as last year breaking in a new QB.

There are some good SEC teams like LSU, Auburn, and Florida, but each have questions and it's hard to tell who can come out of that mess.

It's not like there are a lot of programs standing head-and-shoulders above everyone else this year. With Oklahoma returning so much of it's team, and with the impressive win that it had over Oregon (who thought that they were a BCS team), and considering what they did with AD not healthy there are high expectations for the team now that AD seems to be at 100%. Oklahoma may have entered that dreaded category of being over-rated .... but with the other competition out there, we are only a little bit over-rated.

HwMchUBnch
5/19/2006, 02:46 PM
maybe i'm retarded, but where do you change the date?

u have to change the date on ur computer. u know the clock thats usually in the corner of ur computer screen. double click on it and mess with it and u can change the date.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
5/19/2006, 02:58 PM
why do you hate yo?

emoinwinter
5/19/2006, 04:28 PM
I know that last year NCAA 06 (the video game for the people that don't know) used Athlon as their rankings in the game. Maybe this year they will do the same.

goingoneight
5/19/2006, 07:51 PM
I know Lester is a jackoff and all, but why is he ranked No. 11? He did pretty damn good with LSU in what was a supposed "rebuilding year."
I don't want him to be even in the top 25, but what is fair is fair...

Vegas Sooner
5/19/2006, 08:28 PM
it is pretty blurry--but it does look like its Oklahoma. nice

SoonerJedi
5/20/2006, 10:43 AM
I know Lester is a jackoff and all, but why is he ranked No. 11? He did pretty damn good with LSU in what was a supposed "rebuilding year."
I don't want him to be even in the top 25, but what is fair is fair...

Probably because 5-10 teams look better than LSU. (Auburn and Florida may be better than them in their own conference!) Where exactly do you think they should be?

BTW, its not as if Sabien didn't leave him with a ton of talent.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/20/2006, 11:59 AM
I wonder what ADs ratings are going to be on NCAA 07..

TheGodfather889
5/20/2006, 12:21 PM
I don't think Athlon having us as #1 is too much pressure. There would be pressure if the real polls that matter had us at #1 in the preseason.

TheGodfather889
5/20/2006, 12:22 PM
Oh, I don't know probably around a 99.:D

Flagstaffsooner
5/20/2006, 12:29 PM
Looks like Athlon fixed their little bug. It would be funny if they changed their ratings now.

Flagstaffsooner
5/21/2006, 01:46 PM
silly, silly, whorns (http://forums.hornfans.com/php/wwwthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=football&Number=4222072&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=0&fpart=)

BASSooner
5/21/2006, 01:50 PM
silly, silly, whorns (http://forums.hornfans.com/php/wwwthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=football&Number=4222072&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=0&fpart=)
pretty entertaining to see how those guys don't know any better:D

TheGodfather889
5/21/2006, 02:03 PM
I want to beat Texas' *** so bad.

BASSooner
5/21/2006, 02:09 PM
oh we will. Everytime we've had a good defense we've beaten texas.

HwMchUBnch
5/21/2006, 02:31 PM

its a 98 i believe. someone posted on the ncaa video game the ratings of some players and they said AD was a 98 overall.

Octavian
5/21/2006, 02:41 PM

Hook 'em

Snead was at the OU game last season taking notes on how to whip gooner ***. I heard he had a big freakin' smile on his face. He was probably thinkin' he could make all the throws Vince was making that day, and that the OU secondary blows ***. And he was probably right on both accounts.

Snead will not miss a wide open receiver streaking across the middle en route to the end zone. Nice try. Hey Sooners I want to know how you're going to stop Jamaal Charles from shoving that football up your ***?

A lot of confidence in someone they've never seen

Flagstaffsooner
5/21/2006, 02:54 PM
OU & ND are the cradle of college football. Having OU play & beat ND in the title game to move in a 1st place tie for the most NC's is what everyone wants to see.
:cool:

King Crimson
5/21/2006, 03:09 PM

LSU returned 18 starters last year in Lester's first year. i don't know what you talking about.

emoinwinter
5/21/2006, 08:39 PM

It looks like he is rated a 97 this year (even though we all know that he should be rated a 99, since he was a 97 last year.)

http://i1.tinypic.com/zimvmd.jpg

Hopefully the rosters aren't final. Last year AD's strength on the game was a 78, so it looks like they did make some adjustments to the current roster. They have Thibs as an impact player and over Birdine at DE, and Thompson as the #1 WR. Like I said, hopefully the ratings aren't final.

I started a thread over at Insider (http://mb22.scout.com/fouinsiderfrm20.showMessage?topicID=1478.topic) where you can view all the updated OU content for 2007. Looks like the game release is 7/18. I hate having to wait that long.

Big Red Ron
5/22/2006, 01:33 AM
Who is #20 this year?

Coloradosker
5/22/2006, 09:02 AM

LSU, Auburn, Ohio St. Like I said, if AD isn't healthy, you guys are in for a long year. If your OL doesn't make great strides, you're in for a long year. I think you are top 5, but not #1. If you disagree, fine, but tell me why you should be #1.

Crimson Kid
5/22/2006, 09:08 AM
tell me why you should be #1.

Cause were ou, and everyone knows we won't be down for long. ;)

footballfanatic
5/22/2006, 09:34 AM
Who cares. Preseason hype is one of the things wrong with CFB. This kind of crap screws good teams over later in the season. It's the human mind's tendency to believe hype that puts teams like ND at the top when they haven't beaten anyone of worth. It's that same tendency that puts 80 SEC teams in the top 25 even though half of them have .500 w/l records.

The BCS was originally created to eliminate this, but the people who run it pandered too much to public opinion and added MORE of a human element rather than eliminating it completely, which is what we need if we don't have a playoff like every other damn sport that's worth anything.

Great post.

emoinwinter
5/22/2006, 10:19 AM
Who is #20 this year?

I think it might be Mike Hart. He is one of their impact players this year. Anybody else have any ideas?

snp
5/22/2006, 04:08 PM
There's no way Hart is anywhere close to AD. Or anyone else for that matter.

The first people that came to mind was Lynch (Cal), Irons (Auburn) or Garrett Wolfe (NIU). None of them are #20.

Deangelo Williams was number 20 last year though.

emoinwinter
5/22/2006, 04:12 PM
There's no way Hart is anywhere close to AD. Or anyone else for that matter.

The first people that came to mind was Lynch (Cal), Irons (Auburn) or Garrett Wolfe (NIU). None of them are #20.

Deangelo Williams was number 20 last year though.

I know that from some of the screenshots some of the midmajor teams still did not have updated rosters yet. Garrett Mills was still in the game for instance. Maybe it is Deangelo Williams. I know that Hart isn't anywhere near AD, but maybe EA doesn't know that. They obviously don't know that AD is deserving of a 99 either though.

BASSooner
5/22/2006, 08:54 PM
The last time we were ranked #1 on athlon sports was 2003 when we had the juggernaut defense and the outstanding offense....so maybe we just might see something spectacular in OUr team this year...

CincySooner
5/23/2006, 09:43 AM
oh we will. Everytime we've had a good defense we've beaten texas.

ummmm our defense was pretty good last year...

yermom
5/23/2006, 10:04 AM
it wasn't great, especially in that game

with our thin DL we had to send too many guys to get pressure... we let a lot of passes get completed and kill us

CincySooner
5/23/2006, 10:14 AM
well of course our defense wasn't good in that particular game, but I was thinking of the season's performance as a whole.

sooneron
5/23/2006, 11:29 AM
Too many unanswered questions about your OL and AD. JMHO.
AD? :confused:
I guess doing the 3 ft platform leaps with 80 lb dumbells in each hand and looking really sharp against a solid D in the spring game isn't considered ready to play up in Lincoln. It seems pretty ****ing ready to me! Maybe it's not smash your girlfriend's head into a mailbox Lawrence Phillips ready, but ready nonetheless!

Coloradosker
5/23/2006, 02:11 PM
AD? :confused:
I guess doing the 3 ft platform leaps with 80 lb dumbells in each hand and looking really sharp against a solid D in the spring game isn't considered ready to play up in Lincoln. It seems pretty ****ing ready to me! Maybe it's not smash your girlfriend's head into a mailbox Lawrence Phillips ready, but ready nonetheless!

I was talking about his health, you know, the excuse that you used for all of your losses last year.

Octavian
5/23/2006, 02:22 PM
I was talking about his health, you know, the excuse that you used for all of your losses last year.

eh...he wasn't 100% when he torched the whiteshirts in Lincoln :rolleyes:

Coloradosker
5/23/2006, 02:24 PM
eh...he wasn't 100% when he torched the whiteshirts in Lincoln :rolleyes:

That's very true, and you still only managed to win by 7 against a team that got torched by KU. All I'm saying is that he needs to be 100% for you guys to even remotely be considered a #1.

SweetheartSooner
5/23/2006, 02:26 PM

WTF? There was this one game down in Lubbock where we blamed the refs.

Octavian
5/23/2006, 02:26 PM
All I'm saying is that he needs to be 100% for you guys to even remotely be considered a #1.

thanks for clearing that up.

emoinwinter
5/23/2006, 06:39 PM
That's very true, and you still only managed to win by 7 against a team that got torched by KU. All I'm saying is that he needs to be 100% for you guys to even remotely be considered a #1.

And explain to me how that helps you by admitting NU got "torched" by KU?

Plus, the OU v. NU game was played in Lincoln. Different ballgame than playing in Kansas.

Big Red Ron
5/23/2006, 08:40 PM
Nebraska is just a little embarassing these days. I'm sure they felt the same whe we had Blake too.

SoonerJedi
5/24/2006, 12:24 AM
Didn't Nebraska whip the snot out of Colorado? That's funny to hear Colorado fan talk about "you only won by 7" when his team got creamed.

Coloradosker
5/24/2006, 09:07 AM
Didn't Nebraska whip the snot out of Colorado? That's funny to hear Colorado fan talk about "you only won by 7" when his team got creamed.
See that little "sker" on the end of my name?

And BTW, you shouldn't call NU embarassing when we ended up with the same record as you last season.

CincySooner
5/24/2006, 09:39 AM
@ colosker

so from what you are saying its shameful to beat a decent team by only 7? you have two options.

1) either NU was a bad team and OU should have won by more

OR

2) NU was a decent team and a 7-point road win over you guys is a good solid win.....

your choice there fella. make a decision.

(and dont get me started on record comparison.... NU's schedule doesnt hold a candle to OU's last year.)

HwMchUBnch
5/24/2006, 11:18 AM
well looks like OU is number one. even though we already knew this its still cool to see.

Octavian
5/24/2006, 11:51 AM
you shouldn't call NU embarassing when we ended up with the same record as you last season.

Nebraska's biggest win in 5 years

http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/4549/alamo5kn.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Salt City Sooner
5/24/2006, 12:02 PM
"And BTW, you shouldn't call NU embarassing when we ended up with the same record as you last season."
Team A's schedule:

Opponents finished with an aggregate record of 96 wins against 46 losses.

OOC included teams that finished a combined 30-7, with 2 conference championships, & all three teams won their bowl game.

Team A played the 6th ranked team in the nation, (whose only loss in the '05 regular season was to the defending national champions), in their bowl game.

Team A also got the pleasure of playing the team that won the national championship.

Team B's schedule:

Opponents finished an aggregate 76-64.

OOC's included how many teams with even a winning record? Oh yeah, NONE.
This OOC slate also included a 1-AA team.

Team B played the 20th ranked team in the nation (a team who managed to lose 3 games at home) in their bowl game.

The best team on this schedule finished 9-3.

Lest we forget, how did that head to head meeting between A & B on B's home field go?

Yeah, those twin 8-4 records of team A & team B are REALLY similar. :rolleyes:

ADs_Agent
5/24/2006, 12:03 PM
if Nebraska starts Zac Taylor again this year, don't expect them to do better than 7-4

Luthor
5/24/2006, 12:49 PM
Oh yeah buddy. The Athalon rocket scientists had Texas at #6 last year. Those guys are really lights out over there.

RedstickSooner
5/24/2006, 01:46 PM
Like I said, if AD isn't healthy, you guys are in for a long year.

Yeah. We're totally unique in that sense. There isn't a single other team out there with a really kick-*** player, where if that player got hurt, the team would suffer.

Fact is that he IS healthy, and what's more, we've got great depth at the position. I see no reason to rank us #1, but you're way out of line when you act like it's some affront to the football gods to do so.

We aren't exactly East Popcorn State.

mandingo
5/26/2006, 04:24 AM
Athlon's 2005 Preseason Rankings:

1. USC
2. Tennessee
3. Iowa
4. Oklahoma
5. Florida State
6. Texas
7. Michigan
8. Louisville