PDA

View Full Version : OU to receive the BCS from USC?

sooneriniowa
5/18/2006, 08:54 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AjyTGs6ANB2APb2XI1FJYbAcvrYF?slug=cr-bush042806&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

If the alleged payments indeed began in 2004, USC's national championship following that season could be in jeopardy.

Am I reading this correctly?

sooner n houston
5/18/2006, 08:58 PM
no

goingoneight
5/18/2006, 08:59 PM
Yes, but we kind of don't want to look too far into that. Baylor could have played a better game in the 2005 OB than we did. It will be the crystal ball that hangs above the ceiling of the Switzer Center we will always remember as the title OU didn't deserve. I'd rather scrape the USC name off of the trophy and give it to next year's titleist, myself, but what do I know?

Crimson Kid
5/18/2006, 08:59 PM
no.

jccouger
5/18/2006, 09:03 PM
No

sooner94
5/18/2006, 09:08 PM
Give it to Auburn. It would be embarassing if we got it.

Octavian
5/18/2006, 09:36 PM
We dont wanna open that pandora's box.

If the NCAA got into the business of retroactively yanking NCs from programs, it would be an endless free-for-all and no program can act as if they were completely clean at all times.

If there've been so many USC transgressions, why not place them on probation for 3-5 like they've always done to schools who are caught violating the laws? I dont get it.

Octavian
5/18/2006, 09:37 PM
oh...and Auburn should get nothing.

BASSooner
5/18/2006, 09:38 PM
give it to auburn, they went undefeated in the SEC and in their bowl game, give it to them.

Jason White's Third Knee
5/18/2006, 09:43 PM
Screw that. We can use the cash, baby! I mean, we need to put up AD's falks now that usc raised the bar.

Octavian
5/18/2006, 09:43 PM
why? Under the pre-established rules to which their conference and their academic institution agreed upon....they didn't qualify for the national championship game.

AzianSooner
5/18/2006, 09:55 PM
The Sooners will get one by themselves this year.

Ruuuuuufus
5/18/2006, 09:58 PM
donate it to Baylor

SicEmBaylor
5/18/2006, 10:24 PM
We dont wanna open that pandora's box.

If the NCAA got into the business of retroactively yanking NCs from programs, it would be an endless free-for-all and no program can act as if they were completely clean at all times.

If there've been so many USC transgressions, why not place them on probation for 3-5 like they've always done to schools who are caught violating the laws? I dont get it.

Well said, I totally agree.

And OU doesn't want a tainted title. OU has a great tradition of only claiming definitive national championships unlike other universities that I could mention. There's no reason to muck up OU's reputation in that respect.

SicEmBaylor
5/18/2006, 10:25 PM
donate it to Baylor
Nice gesture but I think we'll pass...;)

Vegas Sooner
5/18/2006, 11:11 PM
The Sooners will get one by themselves this year.
agreed!

CrimsonChampion
5/19/2006, 12:23 AM
I say Auburn should get it if anything, they went undefeated and won their bowl game.

Not to mention, if you go through the sec like that undefeated, you should have a shot at the title.

Give me a +1 please

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
5/19/2006, 12:36 AM
Auburn should get it.

sooner518
5/19/2006, 12:53 AM
take it from USC and blow it up or something. I sure as hell dont want it.

Egeo
5/19/2006, 01:26 AM
I say Auburn should get it if anything, they went undefeated and won their bowl game.

Not to mention, if you go through the sec like that undefeated, you should have a shot at the title.

Give me a +1 please
i think they played two d1aa teams that year and were very close to losing to VT

im not saying they werent a great team - but just give it to nobody

SoonerShark
5/19/2006, 02:34 AM
Auburn?

If Florida was found to be ineligible for the NCAA basketball championship this year after the fact, who would be the champion? Would you give it to a team that failed to make it to the final game? No.

OKC Sooner
5/19/2006, 02:45 AM
I never liked hand-me-down's when I was a kid, don't like 'em now.

Sooner in Tampa
5/19/2006, 05:11 AM
If I am not mistaken, it doesn't matter to us at all. If the NCAA pulls the championship from SUC...then there just will not be champion recognized for that year. They do not pass it along to the next program.

Taxman71
5/19/2006, 06:50 AM
Wasn't Utah just as deserving as Auburn (undefeated)? That door should be closed NOW.

goodonya
5/19/2006, 08:14 AM
I won't be changing my bumper sticker to 8 for this rot. USC pummeled us, they are the champs. I don't care if their players lived in a teepee or the Waldorf. Their domiciles had no effect on our play.

CincySooner
5/19/2006, 08:34 AM
the reason you give it you auburn is because they were ranked #2 in the final polls after the bowls.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
5/19/2006, 08:45 AM
Wasn't Utah just as deserving as Auburn (undefeated)? That door should be closed NOW.

Utah looked better in their bowl game than Auburn did against Va Tech. I generally agree the SEC champ should get the nod but they were very fortunate to escape with a win against a Va Tech team that struggled late in the year.

I'll take the trophy though if no one wants it. :D

Spray
5/19/2006, 08:49 AM
You vacate the championship. You don't award it to another program. That's insane.

TripleOption14
5/19/2006, 10:25 AM
You vacate the championship. You don't award it to another program. That's insane.

Yep!!! One does not get rewarded for scheduling Lousiana St., Louisana-Monroe, and The Sh!tadel!!!

footballfanatic
5/19/2006, 10:44 AM
The NCCA would absolutely hate to put USC on future probation. They make too much TV money off of them. They will say it's better to punish them retroactively.

snp
5/19/2006, 12:14 PM
Utah looked better in their bowl game than Auburn did against Va Tech. I generally agree the SEC champ should get the nod but they were very fortunate to escape with a win against a Va Tech team that struggled late in the year.

I'll take the trophy though if no one wants it. :D

So the hell what? VT was a much better team than PITT. Are you really going to try and make that arguement?

Stuggled late in the year, huh?

VT 55 -6 Maryland
VT 24 - 10 Virginia
VT 16 - 10 Miami

And that VT team was one bad PI call away from beating USC. Albeit, it was the first game of the year, but they looked much better vs them than we did.

4everasooner
5/19/2006, 12:35 PM
Give it ND. There always getting handouts from the media and the ncaa.

soonerlaw
5/19/2006, 02:10 PM
Just a guess, but I think USC would have to forfeit those games, meaning that as far as the books go, OU would have won that game. At the same time, that doesn't mean that OU would be the NC. I don't think there is a stipulation in the BCS championship game that if the winner can't fulfill his duties, the runner up gets to be the NC. I agree that it would be vacated. But honestly, the chances of the NCAA and the BCS yanking that NC from USC is probably close to zero.

CrimsonChampion
5/19/2006, 03:52 PM
I personally will not claim that title as ours, and if it's given to us, we should give it to Auburn, if possible. :/

SoonerShark
5/19/2006, 03:57 PM
Auburn did not get up to bat. Auburn does not get the homer.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
5/19/2006, 04:00 PM
So the hell what? VT was a much better team than PITT. Are you really going to try and make that arguement?

Stuggled late in the year, huh?

VT 55 -6 Maryland
VT 24 - 10 Virginia
VT 16 - 10 Miami

And that VT team was one bad PI call away from beating USC. Albeit, it was the first game of the year, but they looked much better vs them than we did.

I'll take back the comment about struggling late. The North Carolina, Wake Forest and NC State games were earlier in the year. In 2004 every team on USC's schedule looked better against USC than we did so you'll get no argument here.

The point was the VT team had several bad calls go against them and they still nearly beat Auburn while I was expected Utah to beat Pitt, I thought Pitt would expose them as being a solid but not top 5-10 caliber team and would play them close and instead they walked all over Pitt and probably could have beat them much worse than they did.

If I had to vote between Auburn and Utah I would have voted for Auburn myself. I'm just saying that the presumption is that if USC is stripped of the title that OU doesn't deserve it (which I tend to agree) and that it means Auburn is tha champ (which I think is at least debatable).

The title should be vacated if USC is stripped.

Gandalf_The_Grey
5/19/2006, 04:01 PM
http://www.hoffco-inc.com/wwe/thist/wwe/wrld-hhh05-1.jpg

I say we give it to Triple H

JLB
5/19/2006, 04:40 PM
Why would any Sooner want a momento from the worst *** whooping in school history resting in the hallowed halls of the Switzer Center.That loss effected my grandmother so much,she would not talk to my mom,who by the way is a Husker fan,for a month.
That loss really ****ed alot of people off.It looked so rigged.See im still making excuses as to why we lost.

goingoneight
5/19/2006, 07:42 PM
How about we put the crystal ball on a fishing line and dangle it above Mike Gundy's head. We can see how many times he jumps for it like fish to the bait. :D

Socrefbek
5/19/2006, 07:51 PM
How is the NCAA going to take away something they do not award in the first place? I believe it would fall to the BCS and AP to decide if they were going to recognize USC as their champion if the NCAA or PAC 10 declared any of USC's games as forfeits.

Just sayin'

5/19/2006, 08:29 PM
Why would any Sooner want a momento from the worst *** whooping in school history resting in the hallowed halls of the Switzer Center.That loss effected my grandmother so much,she would not talk to my mom,who by the way is a Husker fan,for a month.
That loss really ****ed alot of people off.It looked so rigged.See im still making excuses as to why we lost.I don't think it ever looked rigged. If it was, it wouldn't have been so lopsided, so fishy looking. Instead, it was just the second time in memory that an OU team simply QUIT.(first time was the K State game in the Big 12 championship game the year before) We sorely need to NEVER PLAY DEAD AGAIN.

snp
5/20/2006, 03:56 AM
The point was the VT team had several bad calls go against them and they still nearly beat Auburn while I was expected Utah to beat Pitt, I thought Pitt would expose them as being a solid but not top 5-10 caliber team and would play them close and instead they walked all over Pitt and probably could have beat them much worse than they did.

If I had to vote between Auburn and Utah I would have voted for Auburn myself. I'm just saying that the presumption is that if USC is stripped of the title that OU doesn't deserve it (which I tend to agree) and that it means Auburn is tha champ (which I think is at least debatable).

The title should be vacated if USC is stripped.

Utah had the number 1 QB in the draft, a good offense, as well as a great coach. They were no slouch and would've given many teams a run for their money. Like 110 teams in the nation. They were probably a legit top-10 team.

Too bad we'll never know. :(

Flagstaffsooner
5/20/2006, 04:11 AM
I don't think it ever looked rigged. If it was, it wouldn't have been so lopsided, so fishy looking. Instead, it was just the second time in memory that an OU team simply QUIT.(first time was the K State game in the Big 12 championship game the year before) We sorely need to NEVER PLAY DEAD AGAIN.I guess you missed the OB game with Arkansas.

BASSooner
5/20/2006, 09:48 AM
well the good thing is OUr team knows how to win AND lose and we can pull ourselves out of a losing situation thanks to OUr rebuilding year. We won't be in such a rude awakening next year. If we stop making plays and the other team has more points than we do, OUr team will just try even harder to get ahead than just quit. This year even though we went 8-4, we never gave up at the end of the year

5/20/2006, 10:21 AM
I guess you missed the OB game with Arkansas.GOOD POINT! I remember that game as different from the two I mentioned, however, in that the team had apparently gotten incredibly overconfident, was equally incredibly hung-over, Lacewell gave our playbook to Holz(or so I heard), because of his anger with Switzer, and Arkansas was probably better than ANYONE thought. It was one of Holz' best coaching jobs, ever. But, you're right. At some point, the team did quit. The NC was ours for the taking that yr., and we blew the OB.

1991SOONER
5/26/2006, 11:30 PM
I don't think it ever looked rigged. If it was, it wouldn't have been so lopsided, so fishy looking. Instead, it was just the second time in memory that an OU team simply QUIT.(first time was the K State game in the Big 12 championship game the year before) We sorely need to NEVER PLAY DEAD AGAIN.

Two of the most horrifying games I've ever watched. I mean, before it wasn't so bad because when OU lost, they simply were outplayed. But these 2 games I will NEVER understand...

The good news is that I believe those days are behind us...

yermom
5/26/2006, 11:58 PM
that K-State game was weird, basically everyone knew we'd still make the Sugar Bowl with a loss

goingoneight
5/27/2006, 02:53 PM
well the good thing is OUr team knows how to win AND lose and we can pull ourselves out of a losing situation thanks to OUr rebuilding year. We won't be in such a rude awakening next year. If we stop making plays and the other team has more points than we do, OUr team will just try even harder to get ahead than just quit. This year even though we went 8-4, we never gave up at the end of the year

actually, at times they tried to pull themselves out oif winning situations. Look at aTm, Nebbish, Baylor, Oregon games... we had the momentum there, and in those games we should have had double-digit victories by the early fourth quarter, but the scores ended within a touchdown or field goal of an OU loss. That shows the lack of a characteristic "leader" that we are in serious need of.

Scott D
5/27/2006, 02:58 PM
Listen to me....we leave it be...and let our children claim it 50 years from now when we're all too senile or dead to care :D

IronHorseSooner
5/27/2006, 03:11 PM
After being out for a while, let me chime in. It would be great to have #8, but if the boys get out there this year or next, it would make the "Game That Shall Never Be Mentioned" be "somewhat" forgotten....Other Sooner MNCs have been associated with some great games and plays ('85 OB, 2000 OB,etc.). If we took that title from SUC, then that titled will be FOREVER mentioned with THAT GAME! Just let it be vacated by SUC. Auburn and Utah did not get to that game, and were deemed by the BSC as undeserving to play in the title game. Why should they be rewarded? They were good, but they didn't get there. Utah was a victim of circumstance, and Auburn played a :twinkies: OOC schedule. We deserved to play in the game, we just played like shiznit! If we don't take it, then it should be vacated.

Texas Golfer
5/29/2006, 10:09 PM
Auburn should get nothing. The NCAA and BCS will not take their title away but, if they did, OU would have been just as undefeated as Auburn and we didn't play LA-Monroe, LA-Lafayette, and The Citadel that year as did Auburn.

Also Auburn played a lesser VT team and got beat in every category except the scoreboard. They weren't even the better team on that field that night and certainly wasn't better than OU.

Octavian
5/29/2006, 10:11 PM
a Golfer sighting!