View Full Version : Video - car runs on water

Jerk
5/18/2006, 08:04 PM
I hope this is not a scam!

http://www.junk-halftracks.com/water%20vedio.htm

Better sell my Exxon stock!

Jerk
5/18/2006, 08:35 PM
Come on, ppl. This is really interesting. Especially if you're a geek, nerd, or maybe you just want to sock it to the big oil companies.

BajaOklahoma
5/18/2006, 08:48 PM
Hmmmm, how safe is it?

OUHOMER
5/18/2006, 08:51 PM
well, if i could down load it i would. I have dail up and it sucks....

But dare i say hard to believe....

achiro
5/18/2006, 08:59 PM
I saw this the other day. 100 miles on 4 ounces of water.:eek:

It started with a welder and he converted to his car. The welder is suppose to be getting mass produced soon I hear.

hurricane'bone
5/18/2006, 09:00 PM
That was awesome.

dolemitesooner
5/18/2006, 09:33 PM
wow...its hard to belive

scaldeddawg
5/18/2006, 09:37 PM
I suppose with today's crazy gas prices, this water-car stuff would pop up again.

Everyone do a Google search on Brown's Gas. Unforunately, this is nothing new. Water electrolysis sucks at generating hydrogen.

Beano's Fourth Chin
5/18/2006, 09:46 PM
Where does the electricity come from? Gotta generate it with something.

hurricane'bone
5/18/2006, 09:49 PM
Oh and they busted this on mythbusters a few episodes ago

skycat
5/18/2006, 09:49 PM
"Unique electrolysis process"

Color me unimpressed.

sooneron
5/18/2006, 10:01 PM
Aanyone think this guy will have a mysterious accident?

mrssoonerhubler
5/18/2006, 10:14 PM
hmm...

Norm In Norman
5/18/2006, 10:24 PM
No lieutenant, your men are already dead.

chisdavis
5/18/2006, 10:30 PM
Hoax

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_fuel_cell

Love,
Chris

Norm In Norman
5/19/2006, 08:01 AM
Although I'm not saying this isn't a hoax and i'm not saying these things aren't related, they don't appear to be the same thing. If anything, the names are different.

As Beano said, the electricity would have to come from somewhere. You could plug it into the wall, which is electricity made via fossil fuels or you could generate the electricity with a gas generator, but it is impossible for it to run on it's own energy and be so efficient. I think either there are a lot of details left out of that video or it's a hoax.

Now of course using a gas generator in the car wouldn't be so bad if you could get like 60mpg or something.

5/19/2006, 09:12 AM
Maybe the electricity is produced by a small hydrogen powered engine that is powered by the electricity it produces.

skycat
5/19/2006, 10:09 AM
Although I'm not saying this isn't a hoax and i'm not saying these things aren't related, they don't appear to be the same thing. If anything, the names are different.

As Beano said, the electricity would have to come from somewhere. You could plug it into the wall, which is electricity made via fossil fuels or you could generate the electricity with a gas generator, but it is impossible for it to run on it's own energy and be so efficient. I think either there are a lot of details left out of that video or it's a hoax.

Now of course using a gas generator in the car wouldn't be so bad if you could get like 60mpg or something.

He's getting hydrogen fuel by electrolysis. He's doing substantially the same thing as is in the link. This is abundantly clear if you read his patent. No matter how you do this, you are going to use more energy making the hydrogen gas, then you can get out by burning it. Period. End of story. Otherwise you'd have a perpetual motion machine.

If you want to make a car that runs on hydrogen, by far, and I mean by far, the most efficient source of getting hydrogen is by processing... coal.

Water will be a fine source for getting hydrogen when we've got nuclear fusion solved. Extremely cheap and plentiful electricity from a clean source is the only thing that makes this idea (home electrolysis) viable. Until then, forget about water power.

Osce0la
5/19/2006, 10:11 AM
All this means is the price of water will soon skyrocket...

yermom
5/19/2006, 10:15 AM
He's getting hydrogen fuel by electrolysis. He's doing substantially the same thing as is in the link. This is abundantly clear if you read his patent. No matter how you do this, you are going to use more energy making the hydrogen gas, then you can get out by burning it. Period. End of story. Otherwise you'd have a perpetual motion machine.

If you want to make a car that runs on hydrogen, by far, and I mean by far, the most efficient source of getting hydrogen is by processing... coal.

Water will be a fine source for getting hydrogen when we've got nuclear fusion solved. Extremely cheap and plentiful electricity from a clean source is the only thing that makes this idea (home electrolysis) viable. Until then, forget about water power.

it's not perpetual motion if you are using up water, but since burning hydrogen makes water, i'm thinking it's pretty tough to net energy by getiing Hydrogen from water first...

the Clampetts figured this out years ago, btw ;)

skycat
5/19/2006, 11:46 AM
it's not perpetual motion if you are using up water, but since burning hydrogen makes water, i'm thinking it's pretty tough to net energy by getiing Hydrogen from water first...

the Clampetts figured this out years ago, btw ;)

It is perpetual motion if you use water with no other power source, which is just what 12 was getting at.

5/19/2006, 12:32 PM
Actually, I was just talking out of my butt.

I'm talented like that.

Vaevictis
5/19/2006, 12:44 PM
After reading the patent, I am not convinced that the system as presented doesn't have potential for increasing efficiency of an internal combustion engine.

What he says he's doing is using electrolysis and injecting the resultant hydrogen and oxygen into the engine proper. I can see this method improving the efficiency of the engine and producing a net increase in power *if* what's really happening is that the increased amount of oxygen is causing a more efficient burning of gasoline.

Think of it as a super-charger that, instead of forcing atmosphere into the engine, forces a 50% oxygen 50% hydrogen gas into the engine. Compare that with atmosphere which is only about 20% oxygen.

skycat
5/19/2006, 12:54 PM
After reading the patent, I am not convinced that the system as presented doesn't have potential for increasing efficiency of an internal combustion engine.

What he says he's doing is using electrolysis and injecting the resultant hydrogen and oxygen into the engine proper. I can see this method improving the efficiency of the engine and producing a net increase in power *if* what's really happening is that the increased amount of oxygen is causing a more efficient burning of gasoline.

Think of it as a super-charger that, instead of forcing atmosphere into the engine, forces a 50% oxygen 50% hydrogen gas into the engine. Compare that with atmosphere which is only about 20% oxygen.

He may be able to increase the efficiency of the engine using a mixture of hydrogen and oxygen. But he is then using some of that power to produce more of the gas.

Electrolysis is not an efficient method of producing hydrogen.

If all he was claiming was the ability to make hybrid hydrogen/gas cars that run more efficiently than current automobiles in an effort to convert some of our reliance on foreign oil into reliance on domestic coal reserves, he may have been onto something. But any claim that using on-vehicle energy to create hydrogen fuel out of water is going to improve effiency is hogwash.

scaldeddawg
5/19/2006, 01:42 PM

Maybe a little, but a fellow named Carnot back in the 1800's put a limit on it. Realistic heat engines here on Earth approach somewhere around 40%.

Vaevictis
5/19/2006, 02:01 PM
Maybe a little, but a fellow named Carnot back in the 1800's put a limit on it. Realistic heat engines here on Earth approach somewhere around 40%.

That may be, but we're not talking about efficiency in terms of heat converted to work. We're talking efficiency in terms of fuel converted to work, which is something else.

It's partially dependent on efficiency in terms of heat converted to work, but it's also dependent on how much of the fuel is converted to heat. My understanding is that a portion of the fuel that is "used" is not actually combusted in a usable fasion and that increasing the amount of oxygen in the process increases the amount that is.

5/19/2006, 02:11 PM
Throw a square in there and I think we've got a winner.

slickdawg
5/19/2006, 02:18 PM
that is some ultra cool shiznit!

Ike
5/19/2006, 02:36 PM
the news anchor should have asked a few more questions, because I gaurantee that it couldn not run on water alone. It would need some outside source of power. Still, I could see it as possible that this could indeed improve the gase mileage of a car considerably.