PDA

View Full Version : i think i found out how car sellers are getting around carfax...

stonecoldsoonerfan
5/18/2006, 12:32 PM
was thinking about buying a pickup. started looking around on autotrader and cars.com. when i was running a carfax report on a p/u, i found that the previous owner had "x" amount of miles on the p/u (this is the owner BEFORE the ones currently owning/selling it). the people that were trying to sell it (almost always dinky dealerships) were advertising the same amount of miles. the problem with that was that the title had changed hands like TWO YEARS BEFORE them. it appears that they didn't roll back the odometer to an amount of miles LESS than the previous person, they just "hadn't put any miles on it in the months/years they had the vehicle". :rolleyes:

this is, of course, absent of any salvage title or anything like that. in other words, it hadn't been sitting there wrecked for a long period of time.

if you use carfax or the like, be sure to pay attention to stuff like this. i hadn't thought of that before. thank God i caught that.

yermom
5/18/2006, 12:54 PM
who says it wasn't wrecked and fixed without ever being bought by a salvage? ;)

walkoffsooner
5/18/2006, 01:04 PM
car dealers teach screw you classes

yermom
5/18/2006, 01:34 PM
there are a TON of ways to get screwed at a car dealer... i know a lot and i haven't even worked at one, i'm sure there are more ;)

crawfish
5/18/2006, 01:43 PM
The guy I bought my Camry for reported 25,000 fewer miles than were on the car when he bought it, according to Carfax. Of course, we'd already had the car two years before we found that out. :mad:

We reported him to the authorities, but I don't know if anything ever came of it.