PDA

View Full Version : Kyle Ambrogi story on ESPN

kelloggOUballa
5/18/2006, 12:21 PM
sad stuff....

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/eticket/story?page=ambrogi

yermom
5/18/2006, 12:39 PM
i hope i never have to deal with that... most of the people i care about are kinda past the suicidal age anyway, i guess

Legendarybud
5/18/2006, 02:27 PM
I don't think there is an age limit on suicide. Burned into my heart and soul forever, are the memories of a June day when I was just sixteen. On that day my father took a gun and ended his life with a bullet to the heart. A death by suicide leaves those who mourn with so many unanswered questions. Whenever I read an article like this one, that long ago June day seems like only yesterday.

TheGodfather889
5/18/2006, 04:30 PM
That's a very sad story. When you feel that bad you just don't care about anything and you are willing to take your life to end that misery.

melbitoast
5/18/2006, 04:58 PM
I saw that story last night, and it just gave me gut-rot. I had a friend in h.s. that committed suicide shortly after the season was over. It's a memory that will be burned in my mind forever. Knowing where he did it, how he did it, etc. It just leaves questions that can never be answered and memories you never wish you had.

Jello Biafra
5/18/2006, 10:13 PM
terrible. you guys do realize this could have been Dan Cody a few years back.......

Rhino
5/18/2006, 10:34 PM
I read this around 3pm today and I'm still thinkin' about it.

Man...

yermom
5/18/2006, 10:39 PM
I don't think there is an age limit on suicide. Burned into my heart and soul forever, are the memories of a June day when I was just sixteen. On that day my father took a gun and ended his life with a bullet to the heart. A death by suicide leaves those who mourn with so many unanswered questions. Whenever I read an article like this one, that long ago June day seems like only yesterday.

i guess statistically speaking, it seems more likely for younger ones

i'm sorry to hear about your father, you just never know what is going on in someone's head :(

i know all about not having a dad in those years, it's tough man

Jason White's Third Knee
5/19/2006, 09:09 AM
Mental illness is so hard to recognize, diagnose and treat. I am sure pleanty of people are asking what he had to be sad about... and the answer is probably 'nothing'. It doesn't matter. Sometimes a chemical inbalance can make a person feel like they are about die, or that everyone else just died. When you are smart enough to know that these thoughts are completely irrational, you also know that something is wrong with you and that thought only compounds the problem. It can make a man spin out of control.

Jimminy Crimson
5/19/2006, 09:38 AM
Man, that's a sad story.

One that needs to be out there, though.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/20/2006, 12:55 AM
The mind is a vicious battlefield for some people and nobody even knows what they are going thru...dealing with these thoughts a lot growing up myself, I am lucky that i recognized what was going on and was able to deal with it...In my own way, i come to realize thoughts are somewhat like junkmail...dont really know where they are coming from but it keeps coming...and once you respond to one, more are on the way....There is a verse in the bible about "taking thoughts captive".....

We talked about this with our teens at church a few weeks back...I wore handcuffs while i was speaking showing them that if they cant take their thought captive, thoughts will take you captive...and before you know it your thinking of things that dont make any sense, like killing yourself when to everyone else you have everything

KingDavid
5/20/2006, 03:38 AM
The mind is a vicious battlefield for some people and nobody even knows what they are going thru...dealing with these thoughts a lot growing up myself, I am lucky that i recognized what was going on and was able to deal with it...In my own way, i come to realize thoughts are somewhat like junkmail...dont really know where they are coming from but it keeps coming...and once you respond to one, more are on the way....There is a verse in the bible about "taking thoughts captive".....

We talked about this with our teens at church a few weeks back...I wore handcuffs while i was speaking showing them that if they cant take their thought captive, thoughts will take you captive...and before you know it your thinking of things that dont make any sense, like killing yourself when to everyone else you have everything

Taking thoughts captive is impossible when the chemistry is out of whack. That story was over the minute he decided that his "medication was not working." That's the whole battle ground. Anything that can be done to get the medication properly prescribed and into the person's veins is perfectly acceptable. Here's one scenario of which I've heard:

"So Frank, you want to die. How do you plan on doing it? How would you kill yourself?"

"I have a gun."

"Will you show it to me?"

"Here you go."

"Now, I'm going to point this at you and shoot you. Here. I've got you squared up in the sights."

"Put that down, man. What the hell are you doing?"

"Well, unless you want me to ruin my life while taking yours, here's the deal: you and me are going down to the psychiatric center and we're going to check you in until we can figure this out."

"There's no way in hell I'm going to a looney-ben, bro. You'd better just pull the trigger."

"I'll do it. I promise. But why can't we make this deal: why not go to a freaking looney-ben for a bit before you kill yourself? What could it hurt to have that experience under your belt before you knock yourself off?"

"True."

"And then I won't have to kill you."

"True."

"Shall we go,then?"

"Sure."

Any means necessary, I say . . .

"

stoops the eternal pimp
5/20/2006, 11:07 AM
Its hard but not impossible...And I m not being anti meds...I m not Tom Cruisin here

And what is it that caused there chemicals to become imbalanced? from Understanding Chemical Imbalance by Jake Van Der Borne

Over the years, researchers have noted a handful of possible underlying reasons for a chemical imbalance, from genetic factors to irregular brain development.

The most promising is the theory that chemical imbalance actually stems from our own thoughts and actions.

Thoughts, behaviors and chemical imbalance
You might be asking yourself, “How can my own thoughts and behaviors affect the balance of brain chemicals?”

Everything we do and every thought that goes through our minds happens as a result of the production, release and absorption of naturally occurring chemicals in our brain like hormones, neurotransmitters and amino acids.

Learning about the specific thought patterns that trigger our stress, anxiety or depression is one of the most important steps for starting to cope with chemical imbalance. Once we identify the negative interpretations and thoughts we have in these situations, we can begin to develop and apply positive thinking patterns and behaviors that can help us to manage chemical fluctuations.

In theory, Cognitive Behavior Therapy actually targets the underlying causes of chemical imbalance. When we are able to control our thought patterns and understand why we feel the way we feel, our brain begins to respond differently when faced with anxious or depressive situations. Just as the anxiety and depression we may experience now took many months or years to be realized, reversing the hard-wired thought patterns may take some time to come to fruition.....

Legendarybud
5/20/2006, 08:52 PM
Apparently I need to quit posting since the only comments I receive are always in red. Anyway, it's been interesting. I will never understand why my comments about my dad's suicide resulted in all red comments. That was kind of painful to see, but I'm trying to see it your way. Apparently, his life and death had meaning only for me. I should not have shared.

Collier11
5/21/2006, 05:24 PM
Apparently I need to quit posting since the only comments I receive are always in red. Anyway, it's been interesting. I will never understand why my comments about my dad's suicide resulted in all red comments. That was kind of painful to see, but I'm trying to see it your way. Apparently, his life and death had meaning only for me. I should not have shared.

I dont get it either, some people are just jerks around here. While normally not relevant to this board, when in context of the story I dont see the problem with it. Some people around here just feel better about themselves for giving out red, WHY?? I dont know!

Big Red Ron
5/21/2006, 07:48 PM
I don't think there is an age limit on suicide. Burned into my heart and soul forever, are the memories of a June day when I was just sixteen. On that day my father took a gun and ended his life with a bullet to the heart. A death by suicide leaves those who mourn with so many unanswered questions. Whenever I read an article like this one, that long ago June day seems like only yesterday.I understand a little bit. My best friend shot himself when we were just 18. He left a not about how he wanted his funeral and the party to follow but no reason as to why he did it. Sucks, bad.

birddog
5/21/2006, 07:57 PM
i think you're seeing red because you'll get negged for even mentioning red. i've been hit a couple of times for it. crazy. my advice is just keep posting what you want and not react to the red.

Chi Gamma Blackness
5/22/2006, 12:08 AM
It's so sad when you hear of something like this because no matter what there will always be that guilt that you could have said or did something....terrible news. I do hope that no matter what he has found peace somewhere...prayers and blessings to his family and friends.

Octavian
5/22/2006, 01:14 AM

I have no idea why anyone would neg you for that. Your comments about your dad were completely in line w/ the thread and nowhere near out of bounds.

Actually Im really suprised.

Collier11
5/22/2006, 02:16 AM
I have no idea why anyone would neg you for that. Your comments about your dad were completely in line w/ the thread and nowhere near out of bounds.

Actually Im really suprised.

Octavian you know that there are some ****** bags around here that get off on negging people, are you really surprised??

Collier11
5/22/2006, 02:25 AM
For those of you who are negging a guy who is talking about his brother who committed suicide, you are truly pathetic. THere are those of you who get off, get some sort of gratification, or feel more important or powerful by negging people and if this is you, you are SAD! Truly, get a life! And if you negged this guy for what he said about his brother, you need to be banned for being a heartless P.O.S! Remember people, this is a message board, nothing more. Get over yourselves and join us back in the real world when necessary...

snp
5/22/2006, 02:49 AM
Let's not turn this thread into a bitchfest about negging.

Sorry to hear about all your guy's losses. Hopefully you'll never experience it again.

Scott D
5/22/2006, 08:16 AM
yeah what SNP said...there's no place for a bitchfest about negative reputation. People need to quit being so damned concerned with it.

oh and Collier...I'm heartless, but I didn't give out any negative rep.

Collier11
5/22/2006, 01:11 PM
Im not trying to turn this into a bitchfest, I just dont think its right to attack a guy(however it is done) for talking about his deceased brother

Big Red Ron
5/22/2006, 10:45 PM
oh and Collier...I'm heartless, but I didn't give out any negative rep.Then what does that say about those that did?

Weak.

Scott D
5/23/2006, 01:10 PM
Then what does that say about those that did?

Weak.

*shrug* I just wanted to promote the fact I'm heartless...I didn't read anything else in the thread :D

NDIrish
5/26/2006, 08:40 PM
Wow, Kyle Ambrogi went to my school. You don't even know how hard it was when we found out about this. He was oneof the nicest guys you would ever meet. He always had a smile on his face and always could make you feel better. He could really play football too. Nobody had any idea why he would have any reason to do something like that.