PDA

View Full Version : Medical question.....

Stanley1
5/18/2006, 08:58 AM
Is there a way of telling if you have a torn rotator cuff? How do the doctors test for it, MRI?

Mjcpr
5/18/2006, 08:59 AM
You sure are hurt a lot.

OUinFLA
5/18/2006, 09:01 AM
If you get it fixed, you have lost one reason for your golf score on a bad day.
Or in my case , everyday.

colleyvillesooner
5/18/2006, 09:02 AM
http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31349&highlight=rotator+cuff

Lots of good help here. Mine went away by the way.

Oh and post 3 by me is pure gold. :D

soonerbrat
5/18/2006, 09:04 AM
Tests for a rotator cuff tear
The main symptoms of a complete rotator cuff tear are pain and weakness. Tests for rotator cuff tears include the following:

Drop arm test: Hold your arm straight out to your side (90 degrees) with your thumb down. Lower your arm slowly. If it drops suddenly, you probably have a rotator cuff tear.
Hold your arm straight out to the side, level with your shoulder, with your palm facing down (hand in a fist). Your health professional will press your arm down to determine your strength in this position.
Raise your arm straight in front about shoulder height (90 degrees) and turn your wrist so your thumb points toward the floor. Your health professional tries to push your arm down against your resistance. If your rotator cuff is weak or torn, you will not be able to hold your arm steady as your health professional pushes down on it.
Raise your arm straight in front about shoulder height (90 degrees) and turn your palm up toward the ceiling. Your health professional will try to force your hand downward against your resistance. If your rotator cuff is weak or torn, you will not be able to hold your arm steady as your health professional pushes down on it. If you have more pain or weakness in this position, you may also have bicep tendon damage.
Hold your arm at your side, bend your elbow, and turn your wrist so your thumb points toward the ceiling. Your health professional will try to force your hand in toward your stomach as you resist by trying to rotate your arm outward. If your rotator cuff is weak or torn, you will not be able to hold your arm steady as your health professional pushes on it.

IB4OU2
5/18/2006, 09:04 AM
MRI probably.....and arthroscopic if they detect something. (tell Chickie to ease up a bit.)

1stTimeCaller
5/18/2006, 09:06 AM
could just be your labrum

OUinFLA
MRI probably.....and arthroscopic if they detect something. (tell Chickie to ease up a bit.)

wouldnt you get the torn rc if your arm actions were too..........violent?
It's likely Chickie wasnt around when this happened.

Stanley1
You sure are hurt a lot.

I used to never get hurt. :O Gettin' old is the suck.

Stanley1
5/18/2006, 09:08 AM
People, I'm thinking it is from gold on Tuesday. I woke up yesterday and it was sore, and today its a little worse. I still have strength in it, I mean, once I get it up to the "T" position, I can hold it there. Its the pain it takes to get it there that sucks.

May try to ice it today, and see how it feels tomorrow. If no better, I may go get the test, just so I know. Cortizone shot, here I come.

IB4OU2
5/18/2006, 09:12 AM
wouldnt you get the torn rc if your arm actions were too..........violent?
It's likely Chickie wasnt around when this happened.

True, are hairy palms a symptom as well Stan?

1stTimeCaller
5/18/2006, 09:19 AM
What is a labral tear?
The shoulder joint is a ball-and-socket joint. The socket of the shoulder blade holds the ball of the upper arm bone. The socket is called the glenoid. The labrum is a lip of connective tissue located where the shoulder ligaments, which make up the joint capsule, connect to the edge of the socket. Ligaments are strong bands of tissue that attach bone to bone, helping to hold the ball in the socket. The tendon of the biceps muscle in the upper arm attaches to the shoulder just above the labrum. A tear in the labrum can occur during a shoulder or arm injury.

How does it occur?
The labrum can be torn by:

dislocating your shoulder
falling onto your arm
a forced movement of your arm or shoulder
using your arm to break a fall
lifting a heavy object
use of your shoulder in sports with a repetitive, high velocity overhead movement, such as throwing a ball or serving in tennis.
What are the symptoms?
The symptoms of a labral tear are:

arm and shoulder pain
arm and shoulder weakness
painful overhead movements of the shoulder
clicking or grinding sounds or sensations when you move your shoulder.
How is it diagnosed?
Your health care provider will check your shoulder for pain, tenderness, loss of motion, or joint looseness as you move your arm in all directions. He or she will ask if your shoulder pain began suddenly or gradually. You may have an x-ray to see if there are any fractures in the shoulder.

Your health care provider may recommend that you get an MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) of your shoulder. An MRI is a special scan that shows bone, ligaments, cartilage, and muscle. The MRI may be done with an arthrogram. In an arthrogram, a special dye is injected into the shoulder to outline the structures within the joint, providing a better look at the labrum and other shoulder structures.

You may have an arthroscopy, a surgical procedure in which a small fiber-optic scope is inserted into your shoulder joint so your doctor can see all the structures in your shoulder. Many times, labral tears are finally diagnosed when arthroscopy is performed to look inside a shoulder that has persistently caused pain and other symptoms.

How is it treated?
At first treatment may include:

putting ice packs on your shoulder for 20 to 30 minutes 3 to 4 times a day
taking anti-inflammatory medicines such as ibuprofen
doing shoulder rehabilitation exercises.
Large labral tears usually need to be fixed in surgery. The tear in the labrum may be repaired or the torn parts trimmed away. Any scar tissue may be removed. If you have torn shoulder ligaments, they may be reattached. If you have a small labral tear you may choose to avoid activities that cause shoulder pain rather than have surgery.

How long will the effects last?
Pain from labral tears of the shoulder may last a long time. The pain can periodically go away but then come back with certain movements of the shoulder. Symptoms may last until the torn labrum is fixed with surgery.

http://www.med.umich.edu/1libr/sma/labtear.gif

Mjcpr
5/18/2006, 09:22 AM
You're thinking of labia.

1stTimeCaller
5/18/2006, 09:24 AM
lemme do a GIS for 'labia'

Mjcpr
5/18/2006, 09:24 AM
lemme do a GIS for 'labia'
Torn labia I think he said.

slickdawg
5/18/2006, 09:52 AM
It'll likely be an MRI to see what tissues have been damaged. Does the pain
feel like it's in the shoulder joint?

Jimminy Crimson
5/18/2006, 10:40 AM
Did any of you honkies do the 'bucket of love' excercise for your cuffs while playing sports? :mack:

SoonerInKCMO
5/18/2006, 10:54 AM
Gettin' old is the suck.

You're twenty-****in'-eight! :mad: :mad:

Dadgum punk-*** kids! :mad: :mad:

walkoffsooner
5/18/2006, 01:23 PM
Go in to pitch if coach pull's you early you may have torn rotater cuff.

Scott D
5/18/2006, 01:26 PM
You're twenty-****in'-eight! :mad: :mad:

Dadgum punk-*** kids! :mad: :mad:

oh he's in for a world of hurt in his 30s :D

JohnnyMack
5/18/2006, 01:28 PM
Stan is the Ken Griffey, Jr. of the SO.

slickdawg
5/18/2006, 01:29 PM
like he makes 10% of what "the dl kid" makes.

Scott D
5/18/2006, 01:31 PM
btw, JohnnyMack is the Sam Bowie of the SO.

Stanley1
5/18/2006, 01:32 PM
I'm 10x the hitter KG Jr. is. :)

JohnnyMack
5/18/2006, 01:36 PM
btw, JohnnyMack is the Sam Bowie of the SO.

I'm not too familiar with Sam Bowie, is he one of these players pictured here?

http://espn-i.starwave.com/media/apphoto/8e8d42ba-84e1-4790-b863-81a310bd5609.jpg

Scott D
5/18/2006, 01:37 PM
heh

GDC
5/18/2006, 01:47 PM
I once had a partially torn rotator cuff and impingement syndrome after a truck wreck, it healed up with physical therapy and no surgery, but I eventually had to have part of the clavicle removed when it bacame arthritic. Bone surgeries hurt like hell.