PDA

View Full Version : TV Alert

AllAboutThe'O'
5/17/2006, 05:24 PM
Native Okie (and current OU student) to appear on "Wheel of Fortune" tonight:

http://www.muskogeephoenix.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060517/NEWS01/60516021/1002

StoopTroup
5/17/2006, 05:31 PM
No Crimson or Cream?

OUt!

StoopTroup
5/17/2006, 06:41 PM
My Wife told me to lighten up and cheer him on.

OK...I'm watching...but it's painful.

StoopTroup
5/17/2006, 06:51 PM
2nd place...

It was fixed.

hurricane'bone
5/17/2006, 06:54 PM
Here's the story on my friend Kyle who appeared on the show in March.

Kyle Wiemar appeared on ‘Wheel of Fortune,’ won $42,000 worth of prizes

by Whitney Coleman
March 27, 2006

Being in the spotlight isn’t foreign to OU drum major Kyle Wiemar.

His position may have even prepared him for the TV lights of “Wheel of Fortune,” which shone kindly with $42,000 in winnings.

Wiemar, music education senior, walked away from the show, which aired March 17, with $11,000, a trip to the Cayman Islands worth $7,000 and a 2006 Jeep Wrangler.

“I’m a huge nerd. I’ve watched game shows all my life, and it was always my favorite,” Wiemar said.

Ken Wiemar said his son always liked to watch game shows and even made up his own as a child. He said he attributes his son’s ability to work under pressure on game shows to his experience as drum major.

“He’s used to performing in public and kept his wits about him,” Ken Wiemar said.

Kyle Wiemar said he joked with his parents as a child about being on the show but said he never thought he’d make it on his favorite show.

“I like that anybody can do it,” he said. “You don’t have to be super smart, but it’s not all luck either.”

Though he didn’t meet host Pat Sajak until the show began, he said Vanna White made an appearance in her pajamas with no makeup on before the show.
Kyle Wiemer• Music education senior• Pride of Oklahoma drum major• Competed on ABC’s “Wheel of Fortune” on an episode that aired March 17• Won $42,000 in cash and prizes

“You really did get to see Vanna,” Wiemar said. “Everything you want them to be, they are.”

Wiemar was assigned to the fifth of six shows filmed that day.

After an entire day of anticipation, Wiemar said he was happy to step into the hot seat.

“My goal was to solve a puzzle,” he said. “I solved the first couple puzzles, and before I knew it I had $15,000.”

Wiemar said that at one point, he had $7,000 and knew he could solve the next puzzle, but got greedy and spun. He landed on bankrupt.

The girl next to him, a University of Texas student, solved the puzzle. But at game’s end, Wiemar quieted her boasting about UT’s national championship when he topped her $18,000 winnings by $256 and headed to the bonus round.

Wiemar said making it to the bonus round was a childhood dream fulfilled. He said beating out contestants from Texas and the University of Southern California made the victory even sweeter.

He said he was most excited about the overall value of his winnings and being able to pay off his credit card.

His father said though he’s concerned about the taxes inherent with the winnings, his son is responsible enough to handle the money.

“Kyle has always wanted to do it,” Ken Wiemar said. “It’s been kind of a childhood dream of his, and I was glad he got to do it.”

StoopTroup
5/17/2006, 06:58 PM
They wouldn't let him wear red but they gave her a red Jeep.

Penguin
5/18/2006, 06:31 AM
Why does the audience always clap while the wheel is spinning?

I mean, is it really that huge of a feat to get that thing spinning?