PDA

View Full Version : Why not undefeated?

CrimsonChampion
5/17/2006, 04:47 PM
I've noticed several posts of Sooner fans predicting 11-1, 10-2, and even 6-6!

If we get wins against Oregan and Texas, which we will, It'll be another serious title run. IMO, it's already a serious title run, we went 7-5 with a bowl loss in '99, Stoops first year. Then followed up with a magical season in 2000, a team that was built for '01, '02 title teams. Coach Stoops said it himself, we were still building in 2000 and ended up running the table and taking it all. We did stumble in the years after, but still managed a Rose Bowl victory and 2 other title games.

I'm just saying don't forget the magic

BASSooner
5/17/2006, 05:13 PM
11-1 and 10-2 are very realistic maybe 9-3 if we lose to the aggots on kyle field. There is no way we go 6-6, that is just nick's delusional opinion. If we beat texas, texas a&m, and oregon, we'll go undefeated and I believe we can beat all 3 of those teams.

Octavian
5/17/2006, 05:24 PM
National championship seasons are incredibly difficult to achieve.

Oklahoma has won 7 AP national titles. In those seven seasons, only 4 of them were undefeated. That means 4 times since the AP's inception in 1936, OU went undefeated and won the national championship: 4 times in 70 years. The number of Sooner NCs is exponentially higher than the vast majority of programs in America and absolutely higher than every one except two!: ND(8), USC(also 7)

It's really, really, hard to win a NC. That being said, OU's NC teams didn't necesarily come in our best years. We were probably better in 78 than 75. We were definetly better in 86 (and probably 87) than 85. Our 2003 squad was much more dominant than the 2000 team.

The difference is often simple good fortune. In 85, Tennessee beat Miami...we beat Penn St.=NC. In 2000, Torrence makes a pick=NC. 87, Jamelle breaks his leg, 2003=JW breaks more than he doesnt. 78, Billy fumbles on the 3 in Lincoln. Its often just the difference between good and bad luck.

Like, having to play Miami and LSU in their own backyards for all the marbles...thats incredibly bad luck. Snoop Minnis getting suspended before the 2000 NCG, thats incredibly fortunate (and those weren't even on the field happenings). Pick out any championship team (save Nebraska 95 in my lifetime) and you'll find two or three crucial points where they flat-*** lucked out and somehow snatched victory from the jaws of defeat.

We all wanna win the NC of course but the odds are against basically every team every year. To expect 10-2 from a young squad is pretty brash. If we win more than that and/or somehow find ourselves in the National Championship Game on Jan 8, we'll have used some Sooner Magic to get there and we'll need some more to win it.

TheGodfather889
5/17/2006, 06:06 PM
National championship seasons are incredibly difficult to achieve.

Oklahoma has won 7 AP national titles. In those seven seasons, only 4 of them were undefeated. That means 4 times since the AP's inception in 1936, OU went undefeated and won the national championship: 4 times in 70 years. The number of Sooner NCs is exponentially higher than the vast majority of programs in America and absolutely higher than every one except two!: ND(8), USC(also 7)

It's really, really, hard to win a NC. That being said, OU's NC teams didn't necesarily come in our best years. We were probably better in 78 than 75. We were definetly better in 86 (and probably 87) than 85. Our 2003 squad was much more dominant than the 2000 team.

The difference is often simple good fortune. In 85, Tennessee beat Miami...we beat Penn St.=NC. In 2000, Torrence makes a pick=NC. 87, Jamelle breaks his leg, 2003=JW breaks more than he doesnt. 78, Billy fumbles on the 3 in Lincoln. Its often just the difference between good and bad luck.

Like, having to play Miami and LSU in their own backyards for all the marbles...thats incredibly bad luck. Snoop Minnis getting suspended before the 2000 NCG, thats incredibly fortunate (and those weren't even on the field happenings). Pick out any championship team (save Nebraska 95 in my lifetime) and you'll find two or three crucial points where they flat-*** lucked out and somehow snatched victory from the jaws of defeat.

We all wanna win the NC of course but the odds are against basically every team every year. To expect 10-2 from a young squad is pretty brash. If we win more than that and/or somehow find ourselves in the National Championship Game on Jan 8, we'll have used some Sooner Magic to get there and we'll need some more to win it.
This post makes alot of sense and I agree with it completely. But it makes me less optimistic.:( I want another National Title so badly!!!!!!!!!!!

OUGreg723
5/17/2006, 07:32 PM
This post makes alot of sense and I agree with it completely. But it makes me less optimistic.:( I want another National Title so badly!!!!!!!!!!!

HAH. We all do man, and we will get one soon enough. Don't be less optimistic. You only win national chamionships when your standards are that high and you know your going to win. Oklahoma Football is a special thing, and our program does all the right things to increase our odds of winning the NC. Stoops will win another one or maybe even two by the time hes done. No Doubt in my mind.:)

sooneron
5/17/2006, 08:00 PM
Why? Because this team has yet to prove to me that they can close a team out when they are ahead. If we allow teams like Baylor to hang (no offense sic), we will have trouble on the road against the most solid teams.

MiccoMacey
5/17/2006, 08:01 PM
It's easy to homer in a call of undefeated.

But be realistic and realize that chance is veeeeerrrry slim. It's possible, but not probable.

Be honest and state what you believe we'll actually do, and not what you want us to do.

That's why if we beat Oregon, our chances of being undefeated go way higher. Until then, I say 10-2.

sooneron
5/17/2006, 08:02 PM
double post

StoopTroup
5/17/2006, 08:35 PM
If Bob believes it's possible...I believe it's possible.

UNDEFEATED.

TheGodfather889
5/17/2006, 08:59 PM
HAH. We all do man, and we will get one soon enough. Don't be less optimistic. You only win national chamionships when your standards are that high and you know your going to win. Oklahoma Football is a special thing, and our program does all the right things to increase our odds of winning the NC. Stoops will win another one or maybe even two by the time hes done. No Doubt in my mind.:)
That's why I rooted against Texas in the Rose Bowl. I didn't want them to be able to say they've won one more recently for fearing that I'd have to hear that for awhile.

Jello Biafra
5/17/2006, 08:59 PM

If we get wins against Oregan and Texas, which we will, It'll be another serious title run. IMO, it's already a serious title run, we went 7-5 with a bowl loss in '99, Stoops first year. Then followed up with a magical season in 2000, a team that was built for '01, '02 title teams. Coach Stoops said it himself, we were still building in 2000 and ended up running the table and taking it all. We did stumble in the years after, but still managed a Rose Bowl victory and 2 other title games.

deep down, I think EVERYONE thinks we can do but noone wants to say it.

kinda like sayin "sweep" the night before game 4 or....
sayin "shutout" with 8 minutes to go in a hockey game
or saying "rain" anytime while you are in the field in the military. (more times than not, you will get a stank booty asss whoopin for saying the R word)

Sooner Magic? I'm cool with it. will i say undefeated? not a chance. It would be cool to predict but i'd much prefer the surprise of an undefeated season at around the 1 minute mark in the NC game :)

goingoneight
5/17/2006, 09:31 PM
UAB = OUr line will have some issues, but they gotta be really f***** up to not open a whole for AD against UAB "defense." This game and next will allow us time to make stupid mistakes and workhorse our proven players to win.
Washington = Show up and root in pride of OUr team, we could seal OUr first blowout as soon as the thrid quarter. Don't wager it, but count on it...
OREGON = Ngata gone means that Oregon would have been eaten up on those two fake punts and OU wins 24-7. For a team who is only going to get better, I'm not so worried about OU's chances in Eugene. Sh*t could definitely happen, but new faces on the D who looked better in a spring game than OUr D did all of last season makes me happy. Jonathan Stewart or whatever his name is may be good, but we got better.

RRS 101 = Key losses on their team include Huff, Taylor and VY, take away those guys and put in a Freshmen at VY, a second stringer at MH, and Jamaal Charles at RB/WR = OU would not have won the 2005 game, but they would have at least 14 points, and the VY magic takes away two TDs. 45-14= 31-14. Now do you think a majorly improved OU squad will flounder? A loss is possible, yes. But UT dominating OU in 2006? Hold your horns, steers; we may end up with another game like 2001, a game where one critical play crowns the RRS victor. I would wager OU shutting out UT before UT dominating OU. Bomar isn't fumble-happy anymore and given a strong AD, the endzone is ours at least twice.

Rest of the schedule seems like a cakewalk, right? Think again, when a team makes it over a hill, they are likely to collapse when least expected. The road games against Aggie and Aggie-lite have got us before, and OUr rapid-fire offense in 2004 only won by 7 in College Station after JW threw a near-perfect game. UT 2005 only won by 11 with many bad calls in their favor at College Station, they can and will be a problem. Aggie-lite flat out sux, but that never stopped them from giving their daddy a game in previous Boone Pickens games.

Conflicts await all the way to the end of the season. I'll bet on a BIG 12 Title, though...

tbl
5/17/2006, 09:40 PM
Why would aTm pose a problem? Am I missing something?

BTW, spek for Octavians post. Well said... but if you think about it, we were in the NC game 3 out of 5 years. Pretty impressive, but the losses didn't come from "luck". Getting there, maybe... but not actually losing it.

olevetonahill
5/17/2006, 10:24 PM
I have lots of Crimson glasses for free . Yall need some ;)
Im say AD heisman this yr OU #8
07 Bomar heisman # 9 :D :D :D :D :D :D
Prove me wrong Right now ;)

jacru
5/17/2006, 10:46 PM
"...All things are possible to him who believes."
Mark 9:23

westcoast_sooner
5/17/2006, 11:19 PM
I can't wait for the season, and think about it pretty often. Undefeated? Dunno. I could see a lot of games going our way, but we have to stay healthy, and the OL has to improve. The good thing is that they have a couple of games to start getting their collective acts together before we to to Eugene and Dallas. I like the fact we have an extra prep week (and a week to rest up) before heading to the RRS, too. But we also play 4 of the last 5 games on the road - with two of those being in College Station and stoolwater.

We'll have to play very well to have a successful season, but either way, this should build the foundation for 2007.

BASSooner
5/18/2006, 12:06 AM
Stoops factor + Sooner magic=undefeated season

Stoops factor=guarantee CC win and a great bowl win

sooner94
5/18/2006, 12:55 AM
I'd love to predict an undefeated season, but as posted above, its very tough to do. Even if you are the best team, you still need luck to pull it off.

One thing I really like for this season is that I think we are a little below the radar screen. We will be improved, and everyone expects that, but there is a lot of doubt out there about Bomar's ability and AD's "ability to stay healthy." Bomar finished the season strong and I like his resolve (god I love that line!- thanks Les). With respect to AD, the ankle was a fluke injury last year, and despite being "hurt all year" , he lead the Big 12 in rushing behind a bad O line. Injury problems?- the guy hold 80lb dumbells and jumps onto a box 36" off the ground. Most college football players would hurt themselves trying to do that. Yeah, AD has problems staying healthy. Ramonce Taylor would hurt himself trying to jump 3 feet in the air with a 5lb backpack strapped to him (a "borrowed" backpack).

Key Games (basically repeating above for the most part)

Oregon- Autzen is a tough environment. We are the better team, but who knows what will happen. I give us 2/3 chance to win this one.

Tejas- Pretty even match-up this year, us having the edge if the D is as good as expected.

A&M- They always play us tough in College Station, even under Stoops.

Trailer Park U- 2 L's and 2 close games under Stoops. in state rival can be tough.

Missou/Col/ISU- I see one of these games being tougher than expected.

Tough to run the table here, but again, it would be unexpected, and I like that. Remember 2000 when we were underdogs in three games that year (Texas, KSU round 1, FSU- someone correct me if I'm wrong on that). We won't be dogs that many times this year, but we were out to prove something, which is the case this year.

bearass
5/18/2006, 01:42 AM
Missou/Col/ISU- I see one of these games being tougher than expected.

I agree with this but the game is Mizzou, the roads games seem to kill us in confrence. No Brad Smith, but last yr. the backup QB was a special PR guy in some situations.

olevetonahill
5/18/2006, 02:06 AM
Man Yall need my glasses
Ask jello aka (can ) if I didnt predict the 2000 season :cool:
I missed the safety, It should have been 13 -0 season and 13-0 game :cool:
We start the NEW streak as of 2 games ago :D ;) :cool:

Brophog
5/18/2006, 02:07 AM

There is always a game that seems to give a team problems even if it's not against the best of competition. aTm could be that game.

okieballin
5/18/2006, 11:44 AM
undefeated in o6? thats a pretty big glass of crimson cool-aid to drink.
oh, what the hell! i'll go ahead and chug it!Hook 'em

sooneron
5/18/2006, 12:06 PM

Yes

2000 At ATM-
OU- 35 atm -31
2002 At atm -
OU- 26 atm- 30
2004 At atm
OU- 42 atm - 35

I see a loss and two squeakers at Pyle field in the Stoops reign. We are still a young and somewhat undisciplined team- Fran loves the trickery. We need to mature a lot this season.

CrimsonChampion
5/18/2006, 12:07 PM
I expected an average season last year, but all the past season's since 2000, I've expected title runs. I expect, not predict, atleast a BCS bowl appearance.

I honestly do believe we have a good shot at the title if we can get through Tex, Oreg, & aTm, at Kyle Field.

The final part of our schedule will be tough since it's alot of road games, just not huge threats. OSU always kinda worries me because we ARE their national championship game.

soonerloyal
5/18/2006, 01:08 PM
I ALWAYS look for an undefeated season. I don't expect perfection from my Sooners, I just start every season believing positively. If it happens, awesome. If not, well, what's the worst I've done? Hope for the best for my favorite team.

My grandmother always said, "Hoping for less than the best for your team sells them short." You argue with her. I know better.

SicEmBaylor
5/18/2006, 02:34 PM
There is always a game that seems to give a team problems even if it's not against the best of competition. aTm could be that game.

You're either an Aggie or you haven't been watching Aggie games. No freaking way they beat OU this year; absolutely no chance in hell.

Fran and the Reform School boys will have a 3-4 win season and then he's fired (though I hope they keep him around for at least a couple more years).

SicEmBaylor
5/18/2006, 02:37 PM
I ALWAYS look for an undefeated season. I don't expect perfection from my Sooners, I just start every season believing positively. If it happens, awesome. If not, well, what's the worst I've done? Hope for the best for my favorite team.

My grandmother always said, "Hoping for less than the best for your team sells them short." You argue with her. I know better.

That's a really good attitude to have. I don't share it though. I'm too pessimistic a person. But I try to at least be realistic.

tnobis60
5/18/2006, 04:18 PM
two things.

1. A&M is tough at home, no matter what. Even with Fran, i still think they could put together at game against UT or OU.

2. Does anyone know how good Oregon is going to be this year, or supposed to be? anyone have any in depth analysis links on CFN or something?

TheGodfather889
5/18/2006, 04:38 PM
two things.

1. A&M is tough at home, no matter what. Even with Fran, i still think they could put together at game against UT or OU.

2. Does anyone know how good Oregon is going to be this year, or supposed to be? anyone have any in depth analysis links on CFN or something?
Oregon's offense will be good but their defense won't be very good. Hmm,sounds like a typical Pac 10 team.:D

Tear Down This Wall
5/18/2006, 04:46 PM

"The magic" you refer to included veteran offensive linemen (Burcham, Kempenich, Romero, Skinner, Duncan) and defensive linemen (Callens, Richardson, Fisher, Wilson-Guest), cornerbacks (Thompson, Strait) recruited to play cornerback, a highly effective punter (Ferguson I), and once in a lifetime QB (Heupel), and two highly agitated Floridians looking to make a splash back home in the Orange Bowl (Marshall, Jones). So, it's a little different.

2006: Iffy offensive line, great DEs, unproven DTs, questions at corner, who knows at punter, a head case a QB, etc.

Maybe the linebackers in 2006 are equal athletically to those in 2000. I also think the receivers could be be in 2006 than in 2000.

Largely, though, the cast of characters is vastly different and far less experienced than the 2000 crew. The exception was the secondary.

Please, all involved...can we stop trying to compare every season that comes down the pike to 2000?

SicEmBaylor
5/18/2006, 04:56 PM
two things.

We almost beat them at Kyle last year and they're not going to be any better this year. No way OU loses.

BASSooner
5/18/2006, 05:16 PM
"The magic" you refer to included veteran offensive linemen (Burcham, Kempenich, Romero, Skinner, Duncan) and defensive linemen (Callens, Richardson, Fisher, Wilson-Guest), cornerbacks (Thompson, Strait) recruited to play cornerback, a highly effective punter (Ferguson I), and once in a lifetime QB (Heupel), and two highly agitated Floridians looking to make a splash back home in the Orange Bowl (Marshall, Jones). So, it's a little different.

2006: Iffy offensive line, great DEs, unproven DTs, questions at corner, who knows at punter, a head case a QB, etc.

Maybe the linebackers in 2006 are equal athletically to those in 2000. I also think the receivers could be be in 2006 than in 2000.

Largely, though, the cast of characters is vastly different and far less experienced than the 2000 crew. The exception was the secondary.

Please, all involved...can we stop trying to compare every season that comes down the pike to 2000?
actually you can compare the defense to 2000. OUr secondary is the best thing we have with Wolfe and Smith locked in at corner Harris PROBABLY starting and Jason Carter/Keenan Clayton, 2nd coming along are OUr LBs and than the DL. Unproven DTs? Pendleton is alright but Bennet is pretty darn good. OUr DEs are outstanding with the potential of being better than that Jackson/Cody duo. Offensively...that's a different story, we still have issues to handle there.

TheGodfather889
5/18/2006, 05:36 PM
I don't think OU loses to A&M but Kyle Field is a tough place to play. All the pressure is on us because we're Oklahoma and we're expected to win. So the fans and students get riled up and go crazy and it makes Texas A&M play like a different football team. I went to Kyle Field for the 2004 game and that was the loudest stadium I've ever been in.

BASSooner
5/18/2006, 05:41 PM
yeah i went to kyle field a couple of years ago when KU was playin them. My dad was a KU alum and he and my mother had a friend who's son was attending a&m so they took us down for the a&m experience. My mom(a KSU alum) LOOOOOOVED it and went in with the tradition. I don't know how but she did. I respect their tradition but damn I really wanted out of college station the day we went down there. Although Kyle Field is THE loudest stadium I've been to besides the cotton bowl, it's not very attractive.

CrimsonChampion
5/19/2006, 12:19 AM

We went 7-5, bowl loss in '99.

8-4 with a strong finish this past year, a bowl victory against one of the top ranked teams of the nation.

IMO, we weren't proven until we beat the living hell out of Texas in 2000.

All I am saying is that it's time to start expecting big things again.

SoonerJedi
5/19/2006, 02:03 PM

We are once again in the position of having the ability to beat everyone we play. But remember that we had that same ability in 2001 and 2002 and lost to loser nobodies like OSU and Texas A&M.

I think we are capable of going undefeated ... it's just a question of whether we will. There are certainly a lot of reasons to compare to the 2000 year.

(6-6??! What idiot put that out?!)

SoonerJedi
5/19/2006, 02:26 PM

Hind sight is playing tricks on you.

Going into the 2000 season, our offensive line was called "questionable" by most college anaylsts. Our defense was considered to be a big weakness. They labeled OU as an offensive "trick" team much like Texas Tech is labeled today. The spread was all they had going for them and they said we could be much improved and still not match the 7 wins we had in 99.

The DTs are unproven (through probably far and away more talented).

Bomar is hardly a headcase. Heupel was great but averaged 15 Ints a year (while playing as a Junior and Senior), so it's unfair to label Bomar who threw only 10 as a Freshman.

Hind-sight is playing tricks on you.

After Jason White's stellar performances of setting OU records in passage, Bomar's freshman year flew under the radar. It made it easy to miss the fact that Bomar had ended the year (his Freshman year) with the 8th best passer rating in OU history.

Tear Down This Wall
5/19/2006, 03:40 PM
Hind sight is playing tricks on you.

Going into the 2000 season, our offensive line was called "questionable" by most college anaylsts. Our defense was considered to be a big weakness. They labeled OU as an offensive "trick" team much like Texas Tech is labeled today. The spread was all they had going for them and they said we could be much improved and still not match the 7 wins we had in 99.

The DTs are unproven (through probably far and away more talented).

Bomar is hardly a headcase. Heupel was great but averaged 15 Ints a year (while playing as a Junior and Senior), so it's unfair to label Bomar who threw only 10 as a Freshman.

Hind-sight is playing tricks on you.

After Jason White's stellar performances of setting OU records in passage, Bomar's freshman year flew under the radar. It made it easy to miss the fact that Bomar had ended the year (his Freshman year) with the 8th best passer rating in OU history.

To various answerers:

As to the OL comparisons - the guys coming into 2000 had more games under their belts than the guys that are playing this year. That's why I said they were more experienced. They were. Plus, heading into 2000, we hadn't had years of OL attrition.

As to Heupel and Bomar - you must be kidding:

Interceptions
Heupel threw one interception in every 34.5 passes in 1999.
Heupel threw one interception in every 31.5 passes in 2000.
Bomar threw one interception in every 30.8 passes in 2005.

Touchdown to interception ratio
Heupel threw 2.1 touchdowns for every 1 interception in 1999.
Heupel threw 1.3 touchdowns for every 1 interception in 2000.
Bomar threw 1 touchdown for every 1 inteception in 2005.

Completion percentage
Heupel completed 63.11% of his passes in 1999.
Heupel completed 64.62% of his passes in 2000.
Bomar completed 54.2% of his passes in 2005.

Efficiency
Heupel's QB efficiency rating was 135.50 in 1999.
Hepeul's QB efficiency rating was 136.42 in 2000.
Bomar's QB efficiency rating was 113.48 in 2005.

You throw in Bomar inability to handle a snap from center and you're looking at a QB far less than half the QB Heupel was. You throw in Bomar's inability to lay off the alcohol in public thereby brinning bad publicity to the school and you're looking a QB less than a quarter of the QB Heupel was. You throw in Bomar stupid ball spiking stunt at the end of the Holiday Bore and you're looking at a QB that isn't one-tenth the QB Heupel was.

CrimsonChampion
5/19/2006, 03:47 PM
To various answerers:

As to the OL comparisons - the guys coming into 2000 had more games under their belts than the guys that are playing this year. That's why I said they were more experienced. They were. Plus, heading into 2000, we hadn't had years of OL attrition.

Interceptions

Completion percentage

Efficiency

You throw in Bomar inability to handle a snap from center and you're looking at a QB far less than half the QB Heupel was. You throw in Bomar's inability to lay off the alcohol in public thereby brinning bad publicity to the school and you're looking a QB less than a quarter of the QB Heupel was. You throw in Bomar stupid ball spiking stunt at the end of the Holiday Bore and you're looking at a QB that isn't one-tenth the QB Heupel was.

I do see where you're coming from with your stats posted, however, I honestly never buy into all that. What's happened has happened, Bomar has struggled at times, but he has also shown much promise.

AD will be back in full force this year, and we have some MONSTERS of linemen. The line is still a big question, and I think if they are successful, we'll be on our way to the big game.

I do appreciate your stats, and with a coach like Bobby, you'll definatly see a big improvement in those areas.

Tear Down This Wall
5/19/2006, 03:49 PM
Also, Bomar's QB efficiency rating of 113.42 makes his the 15th best of all-time behind even Wishbone QBs J.C. Watts, Danny Bradley, Steve Davis, Jamelle Holieway and Thomas Lott:

1. - Eddie Crowder - 1950-52 - 171.98

2. - Claude Arnold - 1948-50 - 160.13

3. - Jason White - 1999-04 - 153.74

4. - Dave Robertson - 1970-72 - 151.21

5. - Jamelle Holieway - 1985-88 - 141.53

6. - Steve Davis - 1973-75 - 135.96

7. - Josh Heupel - 1999-00 - 135.92

8. - Cale Gundy - 1990-93 - 134.85

9. - Jack Mildren - 1969-71 - 128.19

10. - Bob Warmack - 1966-68 - 128.02

11. - Nate Hybl - 2000-02 - 123.60

12. - J. C. Watts - 1978-80 - 123.24

13. - Thomas Lott - 1976-78 - 118.76

14. - Danny Bradley - 1981-84 - 116.52

15. - Rhett Bomar - 2004-05 - 113.48

CrimsonChampion
5/19/2006, 03:54 PM
All that is what has happened, not what will happen.

Once again though, the stats are appreciated.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
5/19/2006, 04:21 PM
To various answerers:

Interceptions

Completion percentage

Efficiency

Probably not a fair comparison at this point with Bomar and Heupel. Heupel as a first year or second year college player was at Weber St or Snow JC so if you are going to compare progress then Bomar is way ahead. Of course using that same though Bomar would need to go undefeated in 2007. I do think Bomar's passer rating will probably be much better this year. Heupel was as smart a college QB as any EVER in my book. You compare most college QB's to Heupel and they look like drooling cavemen in comparison. That said Bomar has HUGE upside and his QB rating the last 4 games had to dwarf the earlier part of the year.

The spike at the end of the Holiday Bowl was stupid but Bomar played real well the rest of the game and that game was an AD fumble(?) away from developing into a blowout of a top 5 team so I don't think it was a bore.

As for going undefeated? We certainly can win all the games. Smart money says that we probably lose one "somewhere" because there will be some close games. Individually though every game looks like a win to me and I think anyone that thinks we will be anywhere close to 6-6 is batshiat crazy.

Tear Down This Wall
5/19/2006, 05:01 PM
Probably not a fair comparison at this point with Bomar and Heupel. Heupel as a first year or second year college player was at Weber St or Snow JC so if you are going to compare progress then Bomar is way ahead. Of course using that same though Bomar would need to go undefeated in 2007. I do think Bomar's passer rating will probably be much better this year. Heupel was as smart a college QB as any EVER in my book. You compare most college QB's to Heupel and they look like drooling cavemen in comparison. That said Bomar has HUGE upside and his QB rating the last 4 games had to dwarf the earlier part of the year.

The spike at the end of the Holiday Bowl was stupid but Bomar played real well the rest of the game and that game was an AD fumble(?) away from developing into a blowout of a top 5 team so I don't think it was a bore.

As for going undefeated? We certainly can win all the games. Smart money says that we probably lose one "somewhere" because there will be some close games. Individually though every game looks like a win to me and I think anyone that thinks we will be anywhere close to 6-6 is batshiat crazy.

There's no doubt that Bomar has huge upside. I was simply responding to a poster who answered my post about Heupel being a once in a lifetime by saying Bomar threw less interceptions. I demonstrated that was a fallacy based on interception ratio.

The topic of discussion is 2006 and can we go undefeated. Some bring up the 2000 season. My original post asked that we not compare any teams in the future to the 2000 team. One of my reasons was Heupel.

The year 2000 was the year 2000. This is 2006. The strengths and weaknesses of the teams are completely different in most areas.

CrimsonChampion
5/19/2006, 05:44 PM
There's no doubt that Bomar has huge upside. I was simply responding to a poster who answered my post about Heupel being a once in a lifetime by saying Bomar threw less interceptions. I demonstrated that was a fallacy based on interception ratio.

The topic of discussion is 2006 and can we go undefeated. Some bring up the 2000 season. My original post asked that we not compare any teams in the future to the 2000 team. One of my reasons was Heupel.

The year 2000 was the year 2000. This is 2006. The strengths and weaknesses of the teams are completely different in most areas.

I agree

soonerboy_odanorth
5/19/2006, 06:41 PM
We're going to have to give this very young team and the offensive line time to gel (again), we'll have a thin defensive secondary (regardless of how talented), and an erratic (behaviorally) only-a-sophomore QB who now has a book out on him and won't not take on tacklers.

For any of you sunshine pumpers that claim to know a bleepin' thing about football, that should be enough for you to understand we will not go undefeated. No chance! Book it!

That would be as ludicrous as thinking a #18 team could climb all the way to #1. Not with the BCS as it stands, not in a million years mon friends...

CrimsonChampion
5/20/2006, 03:40 PM
We're going to have to give this very young team and the offensive line time to gel (again), we'll have a thin defensive secondary (regardless of how talented), and an erratic (behaviorally) only-a-sophomore QB who now has a book out on him and won't not take on tacklers.

For any of you sunshine pumpers that claim to know a bleepin' thing about football, that should be enough for you to understand we will not go undefeated. No chance! Book it!

That would be as ludicrous as thinking a #18 team could climb all the way to #1. Not with the BCS as it stands, not in a million years mon friends...

What was our ranking going into the 2000 season? Pretty sure we were around 18 coming off a 7-5 bowl loss season.

Anything can happen, and it's not just a dream, it's what's expected in Norman.

Soonerman08
5/20/2006, 04:20 PM

A thin secondary?????? I believe we haven't had this much depth in the secondary since 2003. We're hardly thin in the secondary, the only place we're thin at is O-Line and even then we won't be down by numbers as much as experience.

MiccoMacey
5/20/2006, 07:10 PM
A thin secondary?????? I believe we haven't had this much depth in the secondary since 2003.

Depth, yes.

Experienced talent, maybe.

We don't have a Derrick Strait, or even a Michael Thompson.

We have some kids that we think can be good, but no one has yet to show me that they are top-notch level players like what we've had in the past.

I hope Marcus Walker can fully recover and be the dominant player I watched in High School.

I hope DJ is all we expect he will be, as he showed a lot of growth in just one year's time.

I hope Reggie Smith is the impact player our coaches think he might be.

I hope Lendy Holmes has the same success Andre Woolfolk had when he switched to defense.

But we still have a lot of young players, and that's the scary part of our secondary.

We have no lock-down, DS type player that you just KNOW will beat the other team's best receiver play after play after play.

BASSooner
5/20/2006, 07:16 PM
BJW said that Brian Jackson was going to be the second coming....he's injured though:(

goingoneight
5/20/2006, 07:57 PM
next conversation, please...

josh09
5/20/2006, 08:09 PM
11-1 and 10-2 are very realistic maybe 9-3 if we lose to the aggots on kyle field. There is no way we go 6-6, that is just nick's delusional opinion. If we beat texas, texas a&m, and oregon, we'll go undefeated and I believe we can beat all 3 of those teams.

ya thats what i was thinkin, those ags pose a threat cuz its at kyle field. i would also have said the same about aggie lite if it were about 2 years ago, but now they just suck

Chi Gamma Blackness
5/22/2006, 12:19 AM
"...All things are possible to him who believes."
Mark 9:23

Amen!

Scott D
5/22/2006, 12:31 AM
BJW said that Brian Jackson was going to be the second coming....he's injured though:(

yeah the second coming of Eric Bassey

Chi Gamma Blackness
5/22/2006, 12:36 AM
I don't think OU loses to A&M but Kyle Field is a tough place to play. All the pressure is on us because we're Oklahoma and we're expected to win. So the fans and students get riled up and go crazy and it makes Texas A&M play like a different football team. I went to Kyle Field for the 2004 game and that was the loudest stadium I've ever been in.

I was at that game too...the student section was absolutely insane and I'm pretty sure I got motion sickness from all the swaying. The girl standing next to me said (after they got 2 touchdowns on us), "If they get another touchdown we won't be able to come back." Some support! I got so mad and told her to shut her mouth and root for her team....they needed our energy and dang it I screamed myself hoarse by halftime. I rememeber going to the bathroom and coming back just in time to see us intercept a nice pass...I knew at that moment we were going to win. The last 6 seconds of the game were the best...everyone was on their feet and screaming...freakin' amazing.
So let's just do ourselves and our team a big favor and don't doubt their ability. They need OUr support. No matter how bad it looks, no matter how good, they play to the end and so we give them that same respect. Boomer Sooner!

Coloradosker
5/22/2006, 09:20 AM
With only two really difficult games on the schedule (UT and UO) I think it is entirely possible. You've got some landmines with aTm, TT, and ISU, but if you play the way you know you can, I could easily see undefeated going into the CCG.

soonerboy_odanorth
5/22/2006, 12:57 PM
ding ding ding we have a winner...

Tear Down This Wall
5/22/2006, 01:12 PM
yeah the second coming of Eric Bassey

Come on, man. Bassey's problem was hardly talent. Most of the problem was the coaching staff moving him around year after year. Was he Roy Williams in 2002? No. But, we were in a Rose Bowl following the 2002 season, not the half-arsed Holiday Bore. He sealed the Alabama win that year with an fumble return for a TD, and closed out a close game at Mizzou by intercepting Brad Smith late in the fourth quarter.

I happen to like Brian Jackson because he was recruited to play corner, and they appear to be keeping him at corner! What a novel idea.

Scott D
5/22/2006, 01:34 PM
yes but ironically, he was a safety in high school.

Tear Down This Wall
5/22/2006, 04:01 PM
yes but ironically, he was a safety in high school.

Actually, it's not ironic at all, nor is it coincidental. Because many schools were recruiting Jackson as a cornerback, it is neither "surprising" nor "apparently contradictory" that he will play cornerback in college.

i·ron·ic
adjective

Definition:
1. involving irony: deliberately stating the opposite of the truth, usually with the intention or result of being amusing

2. apparently contradictory: involving a surprising or apparently contradictory fact

Is it really irony or is it merely coincidence?
When you use irony, ironic, and ironically, be sure that you use them in contexts associated with stark incongruity, inconsistency, or even folly, and not in contexts associated with things merely coincidental or improbable. This use of ironically is inappropriate, and coincidentally is the better choice: Ironically, both the defense counsel and the prosecutor graduated from Yale Law School. Appropriate use of irony requires an incongruity between what is expected and what has happened in fact: Ironically, because they lacked sophisticated computers they developed efficient algorithms that can now add to the power of supercomputers.

From the wayback machine's stop during the Jackson recruiting era, lo those many months ago...
Brian Jackson
Cornerback
DeSoto (TX)

Height: 6-foot-0
Weight: 191 pounds
40-yard dash: 4.5 seconds

RIVALS.COM RANKINGS 5.7

Position Ranking: 20
Rivals.com Cornerbacks 2005 (20)
Postseason Texas Top 100 2005 (34)

For Jackson, another visit wasn't worth the risk 1/27/2005 SoonerScoop.com
Texas cornerback finalizes official visit plans 1/17/2005 HawgSports.com
Commitment has one visit left 1/13/2005 SoonerScoop.com
Sooner commit to visit Arkansas? 1/6/2005 HawgSports.com
Sooners have Christmas 'cover'ed 12/25/2004 SoonerScoop.com
Jackson ready to rest after hosting Mike Stoops 12/14/2004 SoonerScoop.com
Norman in the plans for standout cornerback? 12/12/2004 SoonerScoop.com
Arizona Football Notebook: Big recruiting weekend 12/8/2004 GOAZCATS.com
Jackson could be in Norman this weekend 11/21/2004 SoonerScoop.com
Jackson's recruiting heating up 11/18/2004 SoonerScoop.com
Texas CB still high on Cats 11/9/2004 Rivals.com Football Recruiting
Arizona commitment notebook: Thomas leads DeSoto 11/1/2004 GOAZCATS.com
Jackson misses out on road trip 11/1/2004 SoonerScoop.com
Key recruit to watch OU-OSU this weekend 10/25/2004 SoonerScoop.com
One-on-one with Brian Jackson 10/18/2004 Rivals.com Football Recruiting
Jackson impressed by Sooners' defense 10/10/2004 SoonerScoop.com
Jackson ready to see Shootout 10/7/2004 SoonerScoop.com
A New Twist For Brian Jackson? 10/6/2004 RedRaiderSports.com
Texas corner looking to be wowed by OU 9/28/2004 SoonerScoop.com
Jackson has a new favorite 9/22/2004 Rivals.com Football Recruiting
Texas cornerback has Arizona at the top 9/22/2004 GOAZCATS.com
Battle for Brian Jackson brewing 9/8/2004 Rivals.com Football Recruiting
Jackson talks about three finalists 8/18/2004 SoonerScoop.com
Jackson checking out top three 8/1/2004 Rivals.com Football Recruiting
Cats Stay Hot; Land Texas Safety 7/15/2004 GOAZCATS.com
Cats claw commitment #4 and possibly #5 7/12/2004 GOAZCATS.com
OU in on do-it-all Texas corner 7/12/2004 SoonerScoop.com
Texas CB adding offers 6/21/2004 Rivals.com Football Recruiting
Texas corner looking for early opportunities 5/5/2004 HawgSports.com
Stars still shine, despite NIKE Camp rainout 5/1/2004 Rivals.com Football Recruiting
Texas CB has two offers 4/8/2004 Rivals.com Football Recruiting
DeSoto duo list Oklahoma 2/26/2004 SoonerScoop.com

http://ccc.rivals.com/prospectnam.asp?Sport=1&pr_key=26426&Type=1

Octavian
5/22/2006, 04:22 PM
Bassey's problem was hardly talent. Most of the problem was the coaching staff moving him around year after year.

When a senior gets repeatedly beat by 10 yards on fly patterns, thats not coaching.

Eric's problems were between his ears.

cjames317
5/22/2006, 04:46 PM
All your endzone belong to us.

SoonerJedi
5/22/2006, 07:30 PM

I’ll graciously ignore the “attrition” quote as college football has attrition year in and out. You are correct that they are more experienced, but there’s no evidence that the JC players we brought in won’t ultimate provide a steady line. It’s just too early to tell.

I wasn’t saying Bomar was as good as Heupel. You are misstating what I said to tear it down. Heupel was deserving of a Heisman his junior and senior year. Bomar was not last year.

To Bomar’s defense though, he was a freshman. Huepel was a junior and senior! It’s unfair to do a direct comparison, however if I am permitted to only take the end of Bomar’s year, then the numbers are much improved and better than Huepel’s in one case.

Bomar began with 4/7 ratio as he we thrust into the offense to be the starter. Heupel knew he was the starter going into his seasons. Bomar finished the year with a 6/3 ratio. If you count Bomar’s last 5 games he threw an interception every 44.33 passes … which is better than the numbers you gave for Huepel (I didn’t double check your figures). Granted I am comparing only the most recent results of Bomar's against whole seasons for Heupel, but still you have to be blind to dismiss Bomar as a bad QB as you seem to be doing.

Completion percentage
Considering only the final 5 games (which includes the Texas Tech game where Bomar struggled early), Bomar’s percentage goes up to 59%. Still not better than Heupel’s but more comparable.

Efficiency
Bomar’s final five games he had a 133.31 passer rating. Again, not as good a Heupel, but in the same range.

Scott D
5/22/2006, 08:35 PM
Actually, it's not ironic at all, nor is it coincidental. Because many schools were recruiting Jackson as a cornerback, it is neither "surprising" nor "apparently contradictory" that he will play cornerback in college.

i·ron·ic
adjective

Definition:
1. involving irony: deliberately stating the opposite of the truth, usually with the intention or result of being amusing

2. apparently contradictory: involving a surprising or apparently contradictory fact

Is it really irony or is it merely coincidence?
When you use irony, ironic, and ironically, be sure that you use them in contexts associated with stark incongruity, inconsistency, or even folly, and not in contexts associated with things merely coincidental or improbable. This use of ironically is inappropriate, and coincidentally is the better choice: Ironically, both the defense counsel and the prosecutor graduated from Yale Law School. Appropriate use of irony requires an incongruity between what is expected and what has happened in fact: Ironically, because they lacked sophisticated computers they developed efficient algorithms that can now add to the power of supercomputers.

From the wayback machine's stop during the Jackson recruiting era, lo those many months ago...
Brian Jackson
Cornerback
DeSoto (TX)

Height: 6-foot-0
Weight: 191 pounds
40-yard dash: 4.5 seconds

RIVALS.COM RANKINGS 5.7

Position Ranking: 20
Rivals.com Cornerbacks 2005 (20)
Postseason Texas Top 100 2005 (34)

For Jackson, another visit wasn't worth the risk 1/27/2005 SoonerScoop.com
Texas cornerback finalizes official visit plans 1/17/2005 HawgSports.com
Commitment has one visit left 1/13/2005 SoonerScoop.com
Sooner commit to visit Arkansas? 1/6/2005 HawgSports.com
Sooners have Christmas 'cover'ed 12/25/2004 SoonerScoop.com
Jackson ready to rest after hosting Mike Stoops 12/14/2004 SoonerScoop.com
Norman in the plans for standout cornerback? 12/12/2004 SoonerScoop.com
Arizona Football Notebook: Big recruiting weekend 12/8/2004 GOAZCATS.com
Jackson could be in Norman this weekend 11/21/2004 SoonerScoop.com
Jackson's recruiting heating up 11/18/2004 SoonerScoop.com
Texas CB still high on Cats 11/9/2004 Rivals.com Football Recruiting
Arizona commitment notebook: Thomas leads DeSoto 11/1/2004 GOAZCATS.com
Jackson misses out on road trip 11/1/2004 SoonerScoop.com
Key recruit to watch OU-OSU this weekend 10/25/2004 SoonerScoop.com
One-on-one with Brian Jackson 10/18/2004 Rivals.com Football Recruiting
Jackson impressed by Sooners' defense 10/10/2004 SoonerScoop.com
Jackson ready to see Shootout 10/7/2004 SoonerScoop.com
A New Twist For Brian Jackson? 10/6/2004 RedRaiderSports.com
Texas corner looking to be wowed by OU 9/28/2004 SoonerScoop.com
Jackson has a new favorite 9/22/2004 Rivals.com Football Recruiting
Texas cornerback has Arizona at the top 9/22/2004 GOAZCATS.com
Battle for Brian Jackson brewing 9/8/2004 Rivals.com Football Recruiting
Jackson talks about three finalists 8/18/2004 SoonerScoop.com
Jackson checking out top three 8/1/2004 Rivals.com Football Recruiting
Cats Stay Hot; Land Texas Safety 7/15/2004 GOAZCATS.com
Cats claw commitment #4 and possibly #5 7/12/2004 GOAZCATS.com
OU in on do-it-all Texas corner 7/12/2004 SoonerScoop.com
Texas CB adding offers 6/21/2004 Rivals.com Football Recruiting
Texas corner looking for early opportunities 5/5/2004 HawgSports.com
Stars still shine, despite NIKE Camp rainout 5/1/2004 Rivals.com Football Recruiting
Texas CB has two offers 4/8/2004 Rivals.com Football Recruiting
DeSoto duo list Oklahoma 2/26/2004 SoonerScoop.com

http://ccc.rivals.com/prospectnam.asp?Sport=1&pr_key=26426&Type=1

Watch...Film.....Case.....Closed. Actually I'll make it simpler for you...90% of high school safeties are safeties because they tend to be the best athlete on defense...that and they weigh less than 220 lbs.