PDA

View Full Version : How Good Will OU Be This Year

Cack
5/17/2006, 10:51 AM
as some of you man know from the non sports forums ... i'm a Gamecock so i don't know much about OU ... outside of Peterson ... so how's your team going to be this year?? ... i'm just a College Football fan and didn't come here to talk smack or anything ... just curious how OU was going to be this year ... where do you think you'll finish in conference etc etc

Carolina is shaping up nicely (if any of you care) ... thanks to Darth Visor :D ... right now ESPN has us one of the top 5 hottest recruiting schools in the nation ... so that's pretty fun ... who knows i might have to come on here and talk a little smack when we play ya'll for the NC :eek:

snp
5/17/2006, 10:53 AM
According to our resendent expert Nick, we should flounder around a 6-6 record before firing Stoops and replacing him with a watermelon.

Cack
5/17/2006, 10:54 AM
haha ... yeah there's always a few people that think you're not going to win a game ... and you should be starting the waterboy at QB instead of that rubber arm guy ... i always just remind myself ... theirs a reason this person (who says all that) is typing infront of a computer screen and not coaching or palying

critical_phil
5/17/2006, 10:56 AM
i think we'll be good.

if peterson stays healthy and the OL collectively decides to block someone, i think we'll be dangerous.

NormanPride
5/17/2006, 11:01 AM
Yeah, the D should be stout as hell. If the OLine gels and we avoid injuries or desertion (:mad:) we should be tough to take down.

LSUdeek
5/17/2006, 11:04 AM
11-1, Big XII champs. :42:

stoops the eternal pimp
5/17/2006, 11:09 AM
Certainly, want to come out and play in a big way

Cack
5/17/2006, 11:12 AM
i think we'll be good.

if peterson stays healthy and the OL collectively decides to block someone, i think we'll be dangerous.

that's our question also ... if our O-Line can open holes for Cory Boyd, Mike Davis, and Bobby Wallace those 3 can do some damage ... if they can block for Blake and give him time to throw to Sidney Rice and our orther Wideouts we can also be dangerous ... D is a big question mark also ... we lost a 1st round corner and should have been higher safety in KO Simpson ... lost our 7 top tacklers from last years shakey D

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
5/17/2006, 11:46 AM
with our schedule, 8-4 would be about where we should be. stoops has had a tendency to overacheive with difficult schedules however...

rainiersooner
5/17/2006, 12:16 PM
with our schedule, 8-4 would be about where we should be. stoops has had a tendency to overacheive with difficult schedules however...

Who are those losses to you in your opinion?

MiccoMacey
5/17/2006, 12:19 PM
stoops has had a tendency to overacheive with difficult schedules however...

So he went:
13-0 in 2000 (playing in a NC title game)
11-2 in 2001
12-2 in 2002
12-2 in 2003 (playing in a NC title game)
12-1 in 2004 (playing in a NC title game)

and 8-4 in last year's season with the toughest schedule...

and he UNDERachieves???

:D

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
5/17/2006, 12:20 PM
at oregon
texas
at aTm
at mizzou or pokey state

the end of the season is brutal. we lose confidence and this could be a 6-6 season.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
5/17/2006, 12:23 PM
hmm, my wording is poor. stoops has tended to overacheive in general, especially given his talent level. he has also lost to a team he shouldn't have in about 1/2 of the years he has been here...

Octavian
5/17/2006, 12:25 PM
at oregon
texas
at aTm
at mizzou or pokey state

the end of the season is brutal. we lose confidence and this could be a 6-6 season.

I respect your football IQ so I hope you're setting the bar low in your own mind so you're not crushed if everything goes sour. I sometimes do that (though usually not w/ football).

I think we go 10-2.

sooneron
5/17/2006, 12:28 PM
I think we'll be pretty darn good. Salty on D and dangerous on O.

MiccoMacey
5/17/2006, 12:31 PM
he has also lost to a team he shouldn't have in about 1/2 of the years he has been here...

Thanks.. I thought I was mis-reading your intent.

MiccoMacey
5/17/2006, 12:33 PM
Plus, I note you believe our losses will all be on the road.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
5/17/2006, 12:36 PM
well, our two losses under stoops at home have been game plan related (PT at QB last year and mangino's run hybl with a concussion plan in 2001). our issues have been on the road.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
5/17/2006, 12:41 PM
I respect your football IQ so I hope you're setting the bar low in your own mind so you're not crushed if everything goes sour. I sometimes do that (though usually not w/ football).

I think we go 10-2.

eh, its no big deal. i just personally think we are going to have to up the ante on our TO margin to get to double digit wins. this team is in many respects similar to the 2001 team. that team generated over 40 turnovers and massively overacheived. can this team do that?

Octavian
5/17/2006, 12:56 PM
eh, its no big deal. i just personally think we are going to have to up the ante on our TO margin to get to double digit wins. this team is in many respects similar to the 2001 team. that team generated over 40 turnovers and massively overacheived. can this team do that?

yeah, and greatly improve special teams play in returns and FGs.

The 01 team didn't have the luxury of AD though. The decoy possibilities are limitless for the passing game.

The D will be solid but of course not 01 material. The other thing is, the conference was freakin rock solid in the early part of this decade. Neither us nor Texas will face a team w/ remotely the same talent level after the RRS.

JohnnyMack
5/17/2006, 01:00 PM
mangino's run hybl with a concussion plan in 2001

Pfft, they never saw it coming. It was greatness I tell you. He weebled and he wobbled and then got knocked the **** out.

sooneron
5/17/2006, 01:03 PM
I say, 2-3 losses. If we play well at Ore., I think we lose only 1 game.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
5/17/2006, 01:05 PM
yeah, and greatly improve special teams play in returns and FGs.

The 01 team didn't have the luxury of AD though. The decoy possibilities are limitless for the passing game.

The D will be solid but of course not 01 material. The other thing is, the conference was freakin rock solid in the early part of this decade. Neither us nor Texas will face a team w/ remotely the same talent level after the RRS.

but they did have Q who was a much better fit for an inexperienced OL than peterson is.

Cack
5/17/2006, 01:13 PM
so i'm assuming everyone is chalking up the Texas game as a L??

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
5/17/2006, 01:15 PM

i doubt everyone is. personally, i consider it a slight lean to texas at this point. the history of the series is about streaks - kids knowing they are going to win and kids feeling they are going to lose. i'm just not overly confident that the kids on campus have put together the desire and confidence that they are going to win this game.

Octavian
5/17/2006, 01:17 PM
good point.

Our passing game must be enough of a threat to stop opposing D's from loading the box...I like the idea of rolling Bomar to the edges more and utilizing his diversity.

I think attitude will be a lot to a young team coming off an 8-4 year. The game in Eugene could be the difference between a championship run and a big dissapointment. We'll see, I still think the conference is weaker than it was 5 years ago.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
5/17/2006, 01:21 PM
good point.

Our passing game must be enough of a threat to stop opposing D's from loading the box...I like the idea of rolling Bomar to the edges more and utilizing his diversity.

I think attitude will be a lot to a young team coming off an 8-4 year. The game in Eugene could be the difference between a championship run and a big dissapointment. We'll see, I still think the conference is weaker than it was 5 years ago.

we'll see. i just haven't seen the willingness to expose the QB to harm the last couple of years. having no backups tend to do that ;)

Octavian
5/17/2006, 01:27 PM

I think they're in the same boat as us. We lose at Oregon and we'll probably lose in Dallas.

Win w/out Vince against tOSU and they'll come to Dallas w/ supreme confidence. Lose early (in Austin) and the "was really all Vince all along?" media talk w/ immediately hover over the entire program like a black cloud.

Best case scenario for us is we beat Oregon and they lose to the Buckeyes. That'd go along to erasing the thoughts of 05.

Partial Qualifier
5/17/2006, 01:28 PM
Seriously - all homerism aside, I don't see us losing to A&M or Texas. We'll see about Oregon on the road, but I'm optimistic about that one too.

Texas has alot of returning starters but if you give me a freshman QB and a Stoops/Venables-coached defense, my money's on Stoops/Venables. UT's D will be awfully good but I don't think we'll have to score a whole lot to win that game. Just my ininformed opinion of course.

Octavian
5/17/2006, 01:32 PM
we'll see. i just haven't seen the willingness to expose the QB to harm the last couple of years. having no backups tend to do that ;)

Put in Rawls!! :D

In this case though, we're trying to get him out of the pocket so he wont be as exposed to harm. Scary but maybe necessary.

toast
5/17/2006, 01:57 PM

Another 8-4??? Say it ain't so Joe!

SoonersEnFuego
5/17/2006, 02:05 PM
No way we lose to Texas this year!
I'm more worried about A&M this year, because we play down there, and their back-up QB did more damage than McNeal last year.
But, we will still handle our bidness.

Herr Scholz
5/17/2006, 02:13 PM
Win w/out Vince against tOSU and they'll come to Dallas w/ supreme confidence. Lose early (in Austin) and the "was really all Vince all along?" media talk w/ immediately hover over the entire program like a black cloud.
Absolutely true. And the Greg Davis couldn't coach his way out of a paper bag talk will start again too.

MiccoMacey
5/17/2006, 02:25 PM
Absolutely true. And the Greg Davis couldn't coach his way out of a paper bag talk will start again too.

THIS is the reason we will beat Texas.

VY could nullify the GD factor. McCoy/Snead will not be able to overcome GD's vanilla playbook. As good as the Texas defense will be, we won't need to score a ton of points.

I see this game played out much like 2001.

NormanPride
5/17/2006, 02:27 PM

It stopped? :D

Back to Sooner football, though, I think we lose two: Oregon and one of A&M or Mizzou. I, however, am sort of on optimist. I saw good things from our secondary in the spring, but I worry about the DTs. The LBs are still iffy in coverage but dynamite in run support... The O looks ready to explode if we can get everyone on the same page... I fear that Wilson has the tendency to play more risks at the expense of rythm and confidence, though.

The thing about this team is that the D will be very different from last years. All the things I've read have lead me to believe we'll run more nickel and 4-2-5 stuff, which completely changes the core capabilities of the D.

I don't remember a year where we've had capable players at every position on D so that we really could run what we want... The only weaknesses I see right now are at DT and S, which could mean poor run D early on if the LBs aren't just lights out.

MiccoMacey
5/17/2006, 02:32 PM
The only weaknesses I see right now are at DT and S, which could mean poor run D early on if the LBs aren't just lights out.

I thought the OU defense is predicated to having adequate DT's stop up holes so the LBs can take out the RBs, all the while letting our DEs run havoc on the QB.

Seriously.

OUstudent4life
5/17/2006, 02:34 PM
9-3.

But I know nothing, and am just guessing :D.

Really, I just wanted to sound barely more optimistic than jkm.

Herr Scholz
5/17/2006, 02:35 PM
It stopped? :D

He just got a raise and nobody complained. ;)

Cack
5/17/2006, 02:46 PM
ok i've seen this name a few times ... Mizzou ... what makes ya'll worried about them ... the QB is gone ... we played them in the Inpend. Bowl and SHOULD HAVE blown them out of the water ... and was ... but then we forgot how to tackle and the O-Line died ... i would figure OU SHOULD kill Mizzou ... or is that just a team the historically plays OU tough??

Octavian
5/17/2006, 02:50 PM
ok i've seen this name a few times ... Mizzou ... what makes ya'll worried about them ... the QB is gone ... we played them in the Inpend. Bowl and SHOULD HAVE blown them out of the water ... and was ... but then we forgot how to tackle and the O-Line died ... i would figure OU SHOULD kill Mizzou ... or is that just a team the historically plays OU tough??

weird things happen in Columbia.

against heavyweights, they often play lights out for 38 minutes and find a way to freakishly blow it in the end.

NormanPride
5/17/2006, 02:52 PM
He just got a raise and nobody complained. ;)

Well, I've never been accused of calling whorn fans "smart"... :texan:

It's an away game with a young offense, a QB we've had very little film on (always a bad thing in my experience) and the last time we went out there we had a lot of trouble.

I'm torn on this game. On paper it looks like we should kill both A&M and Misery, but I just have bad feelings about those games. I'd add 0State to that list, but they're just going to be atrocious.

Octavian
5/17/2006, 02:52 PM
that said, my way-too-early thoughts are a double digit win OU win

Herr Scholz
5/17/2006, 02:55 PM
... Mizzou ... the QB is gone
They'll be better without Brad Smith if you ask me. That Chase Daniels is a player.

Cack
5/17/2006, 03:00 PM
weird things happen in Columbia.

against heavyweights, they often play lights out for 38 minutes and find a way to freakishly blow it in the end.

so sad ... but soooooo true :(

They'll be better without Brad Smith if you ask me. That Chase Daniels is a player.

understand completely ... our WR Sidney Rice (if you haven't heard about him ... YOU WILL) broke his thumb playing basketball a few days before the Spring Game ... all Spring Blake Mitchell (our QB) was looking great ... throwing the ball all over the field and really lookin good ... Sidney got hurt and black lost that safety net he could always fall back on and was looking a little shaky during the Spring Game ... sometimes it's better for the TEAM if the star misses a little while (when it doens't matter) or graduates

MiccoMacey
5/17/2006, 03:08 PM

I was going to say the same thing. Daniels is a better QB than Smith, although Smith could hurt you in more ways than Daniels.

I think A&M will be in the same boat. They'll be a better team offense because McNeal is gone.

Herr Scholz
5/17/2006, 03:10 PM
I think A&M will be in the same boat. They'll be a better team offense because McNeal is gone.
Exactly.

MiccoMacey
5/17/2006, 03:12 PM
Plus, I like the fire of that kid. He's Major Applewhite in maroon.

Herr Scholz
5/17/2006, 03:24 PM
Plus, I like the fire of that kid. He's Major Applewhite in maroon.
He's a lot more athletic than the Major ever was.

Octavian
5/17/2006, 03:28 PM
he's got a long way to go before it can be said he's a leader the caliber of Applewhite though...for Fran's sake, he'd better have a banner year

aggy's el salvador is on the hot seat

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
5/17/2006, 03:31 PM
the last time we played at mizzou the grass was 12 feet tall and icy...

MiccoMacey
5/17/2006, 03:39 PM
he's got a long way to go before it can be said he's a leader the caliber of Applewhite though...

He seemed to have the offense's attention when in there. I agree, he's got to prove himself more, but I think he could be salty in this conference.

TexasLidig8r
5/17/2006, 03:57 PM
With all due respect, you f'in' hillbillies need to TAP THE BRAKES regarding aggy.

First, aggy's beloved QB has basically played 6 quarters of football. That's it. Does he even have 200 yards in passing for his playing career? Keep in mind that defensive coordinators will have all spring/summer to break down those 6 quarters PLUS the games he plays early in the fall. I'm not as convinced as you that the kid isn't merely the next alleged big thing to come out of Collie Station.

Second... keep in mind who their defensive coordinator is... Gary Friggin' Arnell..a man who perhaps was the most inept defensive coordinator in the last 40 years at UT. He has changed aggy to a 4 - 2 - 5 and thus, went away from arguably aggy's strength, their linebacking corp, and is placing too much pressure and emphasis on aggy's horrendous defensive backs.

aggy's joke of a non-conference schedule will give them 4 easy wins before conference play starts but, once it comes nut cuttin' time, aggy will certainly lose to you, to sand aggy, to us in Austin and probably one other conference game.. at the least.

Crimson Kid
5/17/2006, 03:58 PM
When you have sooner, stitched across your jersey, every team is out to hurt you and play you like it's the NC.

I don't count any team out, not after last season, i think we should win atleast one more then last season, two more would be nice.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
5/17/2006, 04:05 PM
although stoops has been pretty successful against aTm, he has had some serious dogfights at kyle.

Crimson Kid
5/17/2006, 04:05 PM
With all due respect, you f'in' hillbillies need to TAP THE BRAKES regarding aggy.

once it comes nut cuttin' time, aggy will certainly lose to you, to sand aggy, to us in Austin and probably one other conference game.. at the least.

Well, every dog has thier day, you guys had yours last year, lol. :D

But i dought okie lite beats them, lol.

MiccoMacey
5/17/2006, 04:06 PM

First, aggy's beloved QB has basically played 6 quarters of football. That's it. Does he even have 200 yards in passing for his playing career? Keep in mind that defensive coordinators will have all spring/summer to break down those 6 quarters PLUS the games he plays early in the fall. I'm not as convinced as you that the kid isn't merely the next alleged big thing to come out of Collie Station.

Second... keep in mind who their defensive coordinator is... Gary Friggin' Arnell..a man who perhaps was the most inept defensive coordinator in the last 40 years at UT. He has changed aggy to a 4 - 2 - 5 and thus, went away from arguably aggy's strength, their linebacking corp, and is placing too much pressure and emphasis on aggy's horrendous defensive backs.

aggy's joke of a non-conference schedule will give them 4 easy wins before conference play starts but, once it comes nut cuttin' time, aggy will certainly lose to you, to sand aggy, to us in Austin and probably one other conference game.. at the least.

Whoa...whoa, there Stedman.

I'm not saying anything about any player from A&M except their QB. But from what I saw in his six quarters as the A&M QB, he's got fire. That's all I'm sayin'. And he's got the same fire I saw in Major Applewhite, which is a compliment to the Major.

Plus, that's six more quarters than any Texas QB has. ;)

toast
5/17/2006, 04:19 PM
Plus, that's six more quarters than any Texas QB has. ;)

Nice :D