PDA

View Full Version : Here's to you, Aggy Construction Management program

1stTimeCaller
5/17/2006, 09:17 AM
The guy that graduated Numero Uno in his class doesn't know North from East.

I know the kid and worked for his dad as an intern a few years ago.

The kid was laying out a sports complex in Chickasha, softball fields and stuff, and he laid out the project 90 degrees off. Here's to you Aggy for teaching your students how to survey and use simple math.

That's like building a house with the front door facing the neighbor's side yard.

Mjcpr
5/17/2006, 09:18 AM
All aggy sports complexes are supposed to run east - west, everyone knows that.

royalfan5
5/17/2006, 09:18 AM
Did they build the whole thing wrong, or did they catch it. It seems to me you would catch that mistake at sunpoint, because the sun would seem out place when you were working in the morning.

1stTimeCaller
5/17/2006, 09:21 AM
The dirt guy caught the mistake after his company had spent about 3 weeks grading the site wrong because Numero Uno Aggy told them where to grade it.

Mjcpr
5/17/2006, 09:28 AM
The kid was laying out a sports complex in Chickasha, softball fields and stuff, and he laid out the project 90 degrees off.

Speaking of 90 degrees......it's supposed to be in the 90's this weekend.

OUAndy1807
5/17/2006, 10:05 AM
ooooh, but it's an engineering school so it's so much better. There are very few OSU CM grads I have met that impressed me.

IronSooner
5/17/2006, 10:13 AM
Nothing like getting owned by the dirt guy. Hope that aggie diploma's not the centerpiece of your trophy room.

SoonerInKCMO
5/17/2006, 10:19 AM
Far be it for me to defend an aggy... but how can there be a 'right' direction to lay out a field? It's not like every football field but aggy's runs north-south or that every base/softball field but these align the same way.

IB4OU2
5/17/2006, 10:25 AM
I'm thinking their new 'Athelitic Village' will look kinda like the old 'Dogpatch, USA'. :D

1stTimeCaller
5/17/2006, 10:32 AM
Far be it for me to defend an aggy... but how can there be a 'right' direction to lay out a field? It's not like every football field but aggy's runs north-south or that every base/softball field but these align the same way.

The way the site is laid out on the drawing by the architect or engineer is the way the contractor is supposed to build it. The architect works with the owner and says 'is this what you want?' the owner says yes then hires a contractor to build what the architect drew up. The way the roads come into and around the site is a factor on how the fields and concession stands are laid out.

What this guy did is no different than you hiring a contractor to build you a house in a neighborhood and he puts your front door facing the neighbor's side yard and not the street like the house was drawn.

How you screw this up is beyond me.

sooneron
5/17/2006, 10:32 AM
Well, if you're batting, you don't want to be looking into the sun. Just a thought..

SoonerInKCMO
5/17/2006, 10:54 AM
The way the site is laid out on the drawing by the architect or engineer is the way the contractor is supposed to build it.

Oh - that's what the problem was. I didn't get the "he couldn't follow directions" part from the original post. I just thought we were talking about there being a right and wrong direction to lay out fields.

sooneron
5/17/2006, 10:59 AM
Oh - that's what the problem was. I didn't get the "he couldn't follow directions" part from the original post. I just thought we were talking about there being a right and wrong direction to lay out fields.
For baseball fields in general, (not being part of a bunch of fields, just one major field) they almost always have right field due east or so from the plate. Once again, it's a sun thing.

This is even the case with the juice box down in Houston.