PDA

View Full Version : Survivor's first winner sentenced to 51 months in federal prison

Rhino
5/16/2006, 11:32 PM
Yikes.

"Survivor" champ sentenced in tax evasion case (http://today.reuters.com/news/newsArticle.aspx?type=topNews&storyID=2006-05-16T174343Z_01_N16208378_RTRUKOC_0_US-SURVIVOR.xml&archived=False)

PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island (Reuters) - Richard Hatch, the first winner of the hit reality-television show "Survivor," was sentenced on Tuesday to four years and three months in federal prison for tax evasion.

Once described by a fellow contestant as a "snake," the $1 million jackpot winner on "Survivor" in 2000 also was ordered to undergo psychological counseling upon release and file amended income tax returns for 2000 and 2001 that fully reflect his winnings.

U.S. District Court Judge Ernest Torres said he had increased the sentence above a term suggested in a January trial because he determined Hatch had lied repeatedly about his earnings, taxes, use of charitable funds and extent of property.

"His testimony is replete with statements that are flatly contradicted by credible witnesses and documented evidence," Torres told the courtroom.

Hatch, wearing a prison-issued orange jumpsuit with his legs shackled but his hands uncuffed, said he could explain every statement he made during the trial.

"I believe I've been completely truthful and completely forthcoming throughout this entire process," he said.

It was unclear whether Hatch would appeal the punishment.

He was acquitted in January on seven of 10 counts brought against him, including bank, mail and wire fraud charges. The 45-year-old Newport, Rhode Island, native could have faced a maximum fine of $1.35 million and 73 years in prison if he had been convicted on all counts.

The motivational speaker was found guilty of failing to pay taxes on $1.43 million he earned from "Survivor" and about half a dozen other sources.

Hatch, who frequently paraded around nude on the reality show set on a South Pacific island, was viewed by some as a brash, manipulative schemer, but grudgingly admired by others for his savvy and determination to win.

He and other contestants on the first "Survivor" helped launch reality shows as a TV phenomenon.

A grand jury investigation began in March 2005 when Hatch backed out of a deal with prosecutors to plead guilty to two tax evasion charges that carried a maximum 10-year prison sentence and a $500,000 fine.

His lawyers had said CBS, which broadcast the show, should have withheld federal taxes because the network should have classified him as an employee under California law. He said the federal government also must shoulder some blame.

CBS has said Hatch was responsible for declaring his winnings and paying his taxes. http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/2652/richardhatch8lq.jpg

LoyalFan
5/16/2006, 11:40 PM
He oughta be happy there. I'll betcha that, within two weeks, he'll have a fundament yew kin park a Suburban (With luggage rack) in.
Couldn't happen to a nicer que...uhhh...person of non-traditional sexual orientation.

LF
Voted off the island before filming began.

Jimminy Crimson
5/16/2006, 11:45 PM
You know, due to him enjoying what supposedly happens in prison, they should send him to a womens facility. :texan:

yermom
5/17/2006, 12:03 AM
His lawyers had said CBS, which broadcast the show, should have withheld federal taxes because the network should have classified him as an employee under California law. He said the federal government also must shoulder some blame.

are his lawyers that dumb?

Mongo
5/17/2006, 12:07 AM
I can smell the astroglide from here.

Mjcpr
5/17/2006, 08:00 AM
If it's Federal 'Pound Me in the ***' Prison, it will hardly seem like punishment at all for him.

jk the sooner fan
5/17/2006, 08:03 AM
moral of the story? pay the man.......always, pay.the.man....

Mjcpr
5/17/2006, 08:05 AM
They made a reference to that when they awarded the $1 million on Sunday.

slickdawg
5/17/2006, 08:24 AM
I'm sure he'd prefer to go to the penal farm.

Fugue
5/17/2006, 09:10 AM
I'm sure he'd prefer to go to the penal farm.

I believe he is. :eddie:

TUSooner
5/17/2006, 10:07 AM
Here is exactly what NOT to say to the judge before he or she sentences you:

"I believe I've been completely truthful and completely forthcoming throughout this entire process."

Let's say it just doesn't "resonate" after a conviction for a fraud-type offense.

critical_phil
5/17/2006, 10:18 AM
Here is exactly what NOT to say to the judge before he or she sentences you:

"I believe I've been completely truthful and completely forthcoming throughout this entire process."

Let's say it just doesn't "resonate" after a conviction for a fraud-type offense.

especially if there's substantial proof otherwise. looks like much more than a simple error on a 1040 here........

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/0516061hatch1.html

"Our nation's federal tax system is not a reality show to be outwitted, it is a reality, period."