PDA

View Full Version : AVG Grisoft/lavasoft?

achiro
5/16/2006, 11:22 AM
Ayone use these programs? There is a free download available and I thought I'd try them but didn't want to be screwed by some sort of trojan injector.

SCOUT
5/16/2006, 11:23 AM
Ayone use these programs? There is a free download available and I thought I'd try them but didn't want to be screwed by some sort of trojan injector.

I am currently using free AVG software and have had it for about 4 months. I haven't had any problems with it.

King Crimson
5/16/2006, 11:24 AM
i've got it too. updates itself alot. no problems.

SoonerBorn68
5/16/2006, 11:25 AM
I use both. Good programs to have.

Mjcpr
5/16/2006, 11:25 AM

I got yer trojan injector right here.

achiro
5/16/2006, 11:26 AM
I got yer trojan injector right here.
Aren't you a chick?

SoonerBorn68
5/16/2006, 11:28 AM
The only problem I've found with AVG, at least on my laptop, is that when it scans your system it takes up a lot of your resources & slows everything down.

yermom
i haven't used Lavasoft's Adaware in a while, i'm still using the MS one, it seems to work pretty well

i use the free AVG at home, i like it ok, but it could be better

they both should be safe though, they aren't like Spy Sherriff or something

slickdawg
I paid $30 for Webroot's Spy Sweeper, it's well worth the money.
No spyware problems. I highly recommend it.

SoonerBorn
5/16/2006, 11:49 AM
AVG seems to work fine. You can turn off the daily scan, which gets you away from the "surprise" slowdowns. I usually go into the e-mail scanner and untick the "certification" settings - otherwise all your outbound e-mails from Outlook will have a message from AVG in it.

yermom
5/16/2006, 11:50 AM
i try to have it scan every day, some time when i'm not going to be around

tough on a laptop though

Widescreen
5/16/2006, 11:52 AM
I've used AVG for about 3 years. It works very well. In fact, it identified a virus on my main system just this morning. I must not have something set right though because I had to actually check the test results log to see that the PC was infected (it had actually detected it for the last 3 days without me knowing it).

I have it scan every night in the middle of the night so it doesn't get in the way.

NormanPride
5/16/2006, 11:53 AM
Yeah, I just have it scan at like 3 AM, and I never notice it's there.

King Crimson
5/16/2006, 11:57 AM
Yeah, I just have it scan at like 3 AM, and I never notice it's there.

yup. me too.

SOONER44EVER
5/16/2006, 05:14 PM
AVG is fine unless you have a downloader.tibs virus. It won't fix it. Trust me.

yermom
5/16/2006, 05:17 PM
weird.

another thing would be to use the free one from trendmicro here: http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

if you think something is acting strange, that is a good way to check it out, or just periodically or something

there are some viruses that will disable installed virus protection software, going through the web can help with that