PDA

View Full Version : President Bush's Immigration Speech

colleyvillesooner
5/16/2006, 09:20 AM
So, what did everyone think?

I snickered everytime he said MEX-E-CO.

I thought it was alright. Short and to the point.

ALL ABOARD!!!! :D

http://www.uwbg.org/tools/workplace/tool_6UwN6Qucp5/links/Merry%20Go%20round.jpg

TopDaugIn2000
5/16/2006, 09:21 AM
didn't watch. on purpose.

Hatfield
5/16/2006, 09:24 AM
didn't watch. on accident.

JohnnyMack
5/16/2006, 09:25 AM
I think he's gotten stuck in the middle. I don't think 6k troops is enough to really do anything, but on the other hand I applaud his efforts at at least doing something. He'll get crucified by the right for pushing for easier naturalization and he'll get hammered by the left for putting troops on the border.

critical_phil
5/16/2006, 09:27 AM
didn't watch. on purpose.

seriously.

the administration should've thought a little harder about the time slot. W was up against Back to the Future on ABCFamily.

Stanley1
5/16/2006, 09:29 AM
Tough situation for him to be in. Something I thought was funny though, as soon as he was done, the lead in to the news down here was that some citizen had video taped a group of hispanic City employees taking a 2.5 hour lunch break, and drinking beer while on the job. :)

GDC
5/16/2006, 09:31 AM
Nice job Bush and Fox News, keep us distracted with Britney Spears, American Idol and Mexicans while we can't rebuild New Orleans, there's a war going on, and the deficit spirals out of control.

Hatfield
5/16/2006, 09:34 AM
wait till the mid terms heat up and they get us outraged at homosexuals trying to adopt

TopDaugIn2000
5/16/2006, 09:35 AM
Nice job Bush and Fox News, keep us distracted with Britney Spears, American Idol and Mexicans while we can't rebuild New Orleans, there's a war going on, and the deficit spirals out of control.

word

IB4OU2
5/16/2006, 09:35 AM
Good God! Self serve chips and salsa will soon be mandatory.........:mad:

TopDaugIn2000
5/16/2006, 09:36 AM
seriously.

the administration should've thought a little harder about the time slot. W was up against Back to the Future on ABCFamily.

well, that and "The Life of Judy Garland" which is what I watched. Much more interesting.

slickdawg
5/16/2006, 09:37 AM

Yep.

I didn't get to watch, Slickdaughter kept me occupied all evening.

She's much more fun, and certainly smarter than W.

Hamhock
5/16/2006, 09:38 AM

Was I supposed to rebuild New Orleans? Nobody told me...

Hatfield
5/16/2006, 09:39 AM

they had that at texanna reds and it wasn't so bad.

plus no matter how drunk you were...they would still serve you.

yermom
5/16/2006, 09:46 AM

i think that's the upside to all this, especially if there are tortillas involved

Veritas
5/16/2006, 09:48 AM
I was a little concerned by his touching story about the illegal alien serving in the US military. Seems like that might constitute a slight security risk.

yermom
5/16/2006, 09:53 AM
they should let random Arabs hiding out in the country join the military too

JohnnyMack
5/16/2006, 09:55 AM
I was a little concerned by his touching story about the illegal alien serving in the US military. Seems like that might constitute a slight security risk.

Why do you hate Casa Bonita?

Hatfield
5/16/2006, 09:56 AM
Why do you hate Casa Bonita?

if you want to confuse people have your flag fly half mast

mdklatt
5/16/2006, 10:02 AM
I think he's gotten stuck in the middle. I don't think 6k troops is enough to really do anything, but on the other hand I applaud his efforts at at least doing something. He'll get crucified by the right for pushing for easier naturalization and he'll get hammered by the left for putting troops on the border.

If both the leftists and the rightists are mad he's on the right track.

Putting unarmed troops on the border is nothing but a knee-jerk pander to both sides--which means neither side will be happy. I'm glad the National Guard will be leaving the law enforcement to the Border Patrol, but at the same time it seems silly to put them in harm's way unarmed. And like JohnnyMack said, 6000 troops won't do much of anything. Of course, the rest of the National Guard seems to be in Iraq right now so maybe that's all we have to spare.

How exactly is this guest worker program going to work? Will they pay income taxes? If they do, will they be eligible for welfare and food stamps and Social Security? If not, is it fair to make them pay income taxes? I used to be in favor of the idea of guest workers, but now I don't know. Because guest workers will have zero incentive to assimilate we'll see even more Mexican ghettoization than we do now. France started a guest worker program with North Africans back in the day, and look how that's turned out. Maybe things wouldn't get that bad here because we already have a large assimilated Hispanic community...and we're not as xenophobic/racist as most European countries.

If we're supposed to be getting serious about national security (as opposed to simply keeping out all the Mexicans) what about Canada? I bet there are more Muslims in Toronto or Montreal than all of Mexico. What's a bigger obstacle to sneaking across the border, the Sonoran Desert or a North Dakota wheat field? A couple of years ago somebody was caught trying to smuggle bomb materials across the border in Bellingham, WA. FYI, Washington doesn't border Mexico....

mdklatt
5/16/2006, 10:05 AM
some citizen had video taped a group of hispanic City employees taking a 2.5 hour lunch break, and drinking beer while on the job

I think the operative word is "City", not "Hispanic".

Stanley1
5/16/2006, 10:07 AM

Possibly, but there was nothing ironic about that. :D

JohnnyMack
5/16/2006, 10:16 AM
FYI, Washington doesn't border Mexico....

Why do you hate Carmen San Diego?

Penguin
5/16/2006, 10:47 AM
He actually sounded like a moderate. He's against mass deportation, but also against mass amnesty.

I hope this is a compromise that everyone can live with.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
5/16/2006, 11:05 AM
Window dressing stuff. This will effectively eliminate the Minutemen. At least make them inactive.

yermom
5/16/2006, 11:11 AM
good, now they can go back to work ;)

they shouldn't have had to be out there in the first place

OklahomaTuba
5/16/2006, 11:12 AM
As long it doesn't affect my cheap maid and lawn service, or my access to illegal narcotics and bargin basement medical care, its ok with me.

yermom
5/16/2006, 11:15 AM
As long it doesn't affect my cheap maid and lawn service, or my access to illegal narcotics and bargin basement medical care, its ok with me.

crap, i forgot about Lupe

i take it all back

SoonerBorn68
5/16/2006, 11:23 AM
As someone who's supported GW and taken up for his decisions, the speech last night was just lip service. Nothing's going to happen. Putting 6K troops on the borders without any power is like putting an unarmed tank in your front yard. At first it looks frightening but when you figure out it can't hurt you, you just ignore it. I do like the fact that these illegals are going to be detained instead set free with a court date.

Here's a few thoughts:

GW: immigrants should learn and write English
SB68: Great! Stop printing every frickin' gubment form in Spanish.

GW: We'll have 6K unarmed troops for legistic support on the border. The border patrol will still enforce the law.
SB68: How 'bout this? Assign a few agents to each platoon & when the armed soldiers round them up, they can arrest them.

Fox: We are uncomfortable about the human rights issues with a militarized border.
SB68: STFU! When Mexican troops leave the border, then we'll talk.

GW: vigilantes on the border
SB68: Ya know these people are coming over on privately owned land. They are tresspassers as well as illegal aliens. If hundreds of folks came onto my property every day, detroying fences, locks, etc., I'd be a little upset.

5/16/2006, 11:25 AM
good, now they can go back to work ;)

they shouldn't have had to be out there in the first placeAgreed, but I'm cynical about the new policies actually being able to significantly stop the illegals.

PhxSooner
5/16/2006, 11:32 AM
From what I'm seeing out here, honestly, I don't know what can stop illegals from coming. A fence is a good idea, but I've seen articles about the tunnels that have been discovered in border towns that lead under the border into some place in Mexico. The drug smugglers will get here no matter what.

I'm very conservative and not happy with what I'm seeing in Phoenix concerning the illegal problem, but I just can't see what the President can do without help from Congress. How would you get money for a fence without going through Congress? Could you even do that? Considering the sheer size and length of the border, what would be a realistic option? I'm more in favor of going after businesses (Tyson, for one) who seem to openly
hire illegals.

5/16/2006, 11:58 AM
I'm very conservative and not happy with what I'm seeing in Phoenix concerning the illegal problem, but I just can't see what the President can do without help from Congress. How would you get money for a fence without going through Congress? Could you even do that? Considering the sheer size and length of the border, what would be a realistic option? I'm more in favor of going after businesses (Tyson, for one) who seem to openly hire illegals. We seem to do the most good by taking this route. (put fear into the illegal community)The thing that will be a lot harder to stop is individuals and small contractors hiring illegals for domestic work, day-labor, etc.

slickdawg
5/16/2006, 11:59 AM
Until a bunch of Illegals go on a "rape and pillage" tear on his Crawford ranch,
W will not do one thing about illegals.

Stoop Dawg
5/16/2006, 12:51 PM

Not when the Hispanics are touting their work ethic. "We work hard and do the jobs that Americans won't!!!" Bah, there are plenty of Americans who will take a 2.5 hour lunch break and down a couple of beers!

JohnnyMack
5/16/2006, 12:55 PM
there are plenty of Americans who will take a 2.5 hour lunch break and down a couple of beers!

Why do you hate Pat?

Scott D
5/16/2006, 02:09 PM
Why do you hate Pat?

Three words..

smoking......camel.....toe :D