PDA

View Full Version : I am a rubber-necker

Penguin
5/16/2006, 08:02 AM
If I see an awesome accident or pretty flashing emergency vehicle lights, I'm going to hit my brakes and get a good look!

I don't care if you're stuck behind me and in a hurry! I'm going to gawk and there's nothing you can do about it!!!!!

sanantoniosooner
5/16/2006, 08:27 AM
I expect no less out of you.

goodonya
5/16/2006, 08:35 AM
There is a bounty on your type in Houston.

1stTimeCaller
5/16/2006, 08:37 AM
I like to roll the window down and ask the Police/Paramedics/Firemen questions as I slowly roll by.

OUinFLA
5/16/2006, 08:42 AM
You drive in front of me a lot, don't you?

Osce0la
5/16/2006, 09:53 AM
Do you live in Birmingham?

proud gonzo
5/16/2006, 10:06 AM
my grandpa used to call that "owl-heading around"

colleyvillesooner
5/16/2006, 10:27 AM
I'm a break checker. I break at the slightest sign of danger. I know I do it and I hate it when others do it. But ever since I was thrown into a winshield from the passenger seat due to someone who was driving not braking fast enough, I do it. I even reach for the invisible brake in the passenger seat. :O

Stanley1
5/16/2006, 10:31 AM
I'm a break checker. I break at the slightest sign of danger. I know I do it and I hate it when others do it. But ever since I was thrown into a winshield from the passenger seat due to someone who was driving not braking fast enough, I do it. I even reach for the invisible brake in the passenger seat. :O

<Howzit> poosy </Howzit>

Osce0la
5/16/2006, 10:31 AM
I brake check people all the time when they're following to close to me. If I'm doing 70-80 I don't need you so close to my bumper that I can't even see your headlights...If I brake and you hit me, it's your fault and not my problem :D

sooneron
5/16/2006, 10:34 AM
I find it fitting that penguin is a rubber necker.

colleyvillesooner
5/16/2006, 10:36 AM
<Howzit> poosy </Howzit>

Heh, weakening the blow by stopping the rear view mirror with your face will do that to you. :D

Lucky to just walk away with a scratched nose and bruised hand (broke the windshield). Thought my seat belt was clicked in but it wasn't.

NormanPride
5/16/2006, 10:51 AM
I love those people that cut in line. They go all the way to the end of an entrance ramp and then expect to be let in. Of course, there's always some idiot down there that does. I am never that person.

I was driving home one night, and the 75-BA interchange was clogged because 75 was backed up and people were going into the interchange lane to cut ahead. I got cut off by a truck who wanted to cut in front of THREE CARS. THREE. So he jerkwad slowed down all the traffic going into the BA so he could cut in front of three flippin cars.

If you are a person who does this, shoot yourself now and save some road rager the bullets.

Osce0la
5/16/2006, 10:53 AM
I love those people that cut in line. They go all the way to the end of an entrance ramp and then expect to be let in. Of course, there's always some idiot down there that does. I am never that person.

same here

1stTimeCaller
5/16/2006, 10:56 AM
I do my best to put that person into the wall. I almost got a guy last week. He was not happy.

Osce0la
5/16/2006, 11:02 AM
I do my best to put that person into the wall. I almost got a guy last week. He was not happy.
well...neither are the people he's trying to cut off

NormanPride
5/16/2006, 11:04 AM

High-five! You get an A for effort. I never try to injure the person, but I do everything in my power to make them miss the exit. Bastages.

Boomer_Sooner_sax
5/16/2006, 12:05 PM

I was driving home one night, and the 75-BA interchange was clogged because 75 was backed up and people were going into the interchange lane to cut ahead. I got cut off by a truck who wanted to cut in front of THREE CARS. THREE. So he jerkwad slowed down all the traffic going into the BA so he could cut in front of three flippin cars.

If you are a person who does this, shoot yourself now and save some road rager the bullets.

THAT $**T PI**ES ME OFF SO BAD!!!! Ok, I feel better now. I think everyone in Houston does that!

slickdawg
5/16/2006, 12:07 PM

I HATE PEOPLE THAT DO THIS!!!! WAIT YOUR FREAKIN TURN!!!@#!@#!@$

Boarder
5/16/2006, 12:07 PM
If you don't let him in, what do you win?

Where does one pick up the "Ha Ha, you had to wait one more car" trophy?

:D

jacru
5/16/2006, 12:10 PM
I sense road rage.:eek:

NormanPride
5/16/2006, 12:13 PM

I got mine in the mail last week.. :confused:

1stTimeCaller
5/16/2006, 12:18 PM

I let folks onto the highway in front of me all of the time. It's the jackasses that are flying up the shoulder because they didn't want to merge into the lane 20 cars ago that I try to put into the wall.

And the trophy can be picked up at the local DPS.

Boarder
5/16/2006, 12:40 PM
I used to be that way. Now, I'm like, "Eh. Doesn't affect me one way or the other. They're the ones who have to live with themselves"

Stoop Dawg
5/16/2006, 12:42 PM
How dare people go to the END of the entrance ramp before merging!! When I see a long line of cars and I'm trying to get on the highway I actually drive in reverse all the way back up the shoulder to get to the end of the line so I can wait my turn.

You guys are probably the same ones that think that merging a half mile before a lane ends will prevent a traffic jam. Pssssst, it just moves the traffic jam a half mile up the road!

1stTimeCaller
5/16/2006, 12:44 PM
If you're driving on the shoulder and not in a lane or in the merge area, I'm gonna put you into either the wall or the ditch. Merge where you're supposed to so people don't have to come to a complete stop when you jump in front of them.

NormanPride
5/16/2006, 12:47 PM
Are you kidding? All you're doing is slowing down everyone behind you. Do you go to theme parks and cut in line? No! Because that would p!ss people off and you'd get kicked out of the park. Why the hell do you do it on the road? Do you think you're better than everyone else there?

I'm not talking about free-flowing traffic, I'm talking stalled bumper-to-bumper where you move three feet and then stop. If you wait unitl the end there, you're being a jerk to everyone else behind you that had the courtesy to wait in line.

And as for merging before the lane ends, if you do it properly, it DOES prevent a lot of traffic jams. I've been in many areas where people are courteous drivers, and I never even notice lane endings because people know to drop speed a little, get over, and just keep going. But if you go to the end and wait for an opening, it causes the person behind you to slow down, which causes a chain reaction down the line, and THAT is what causes the traffic jam.

slickdawg
5/16/2006, 12:49 PM
Are you kidding? All you're doing is slowing down everyone behind you. Do you go to theme parks and cut in line? No! Because that would p!ss people off and you'd get kicked out of the park. Why the hell do you do it on the road? Do you think you're better than everyone else there?

I'm not talking about free-flowing traffic, I'm talking stalled bumper-to-bumper where you move three feet and then stop. If you wait unitl the end there, you're being a jerk to everyone else behind you that had the courtesy to wait in line.

And as for merging before the lane ends, if you do it properly, it DOES prevent a lot of traffic jams. I've been in many areas where people are courteous drivers, and I never even notice lane endings because people know to drop speed a little, get over, and just keep going. But if you go to the end and wait for an opening, it causes the person behind you to slow down, which causes a chain reaction down the line, and THAT is what causes the traffic jam.

YEAH BAYBEE - GET OUT OF THE CAR AND PUT SIX ROUNDS IN THEIR CHEST@!$@$#

Make an example out of a few, and the others will fall into line.

NormanPride
5/16/2006, 12:55 PM
YEAH BAYBEE - GET OUT OF THE CAR AND PUT SIX ROUNDS IN THEIR CHEST@!$@$#

Make an example out of a few, and the others will fall into line.

:les: YEAH!

tbl
5/16/2006, 12:55 PM
One thing that ticks me off is when I'm in a row of cars that gets on the hiway, there's a super slow vehicle in front of me, then I turn my blinker on and proceed to the next lane over (provided there isn't a car already on the hiway that is going at full speed)... then some jerkhead that got on the ramp behind me tries to cut me off and steal my lane.

Same thing for when we're all going a relative speed and I put my blinker on, then get over, then have some yahoo speed up on me, acting like he didn't see my blinker.

Now this is a new one for me since moving to Georgia. In Texas and Oklahoma (and the rest of the USA for that matter), when the electricity goes out and the lights on the major road are flashing yellow and the side road are flashing red, the people on the major road do NOT stop. The people at the flashing red light have to find their way out there (as they always do with no problems). Here in Atlanta, they treat it like a 4 way stop and you can get MILES of backup, all b/c some moron starts the cycle of stopping at the yellow light. Again, I'm talking major state hiway and a standard cross street... Morans.

There are probably 30 more things, but I'm getting frustrated just typing it and realizing I'm going to have to deal with most of this here in an hour or so.

tbl
5/16/2006, 12:59 PM
Oh, also the guy that speeds up when you're going to pass him. Or the guy that slows down after he passes you. Or the guy that doesn't use his cruise control. I want to smack all 3 of these people.

Stoop Dawg
5/16/2006, 12:59 PM

Good analogy. Except that an amusement park only has one "end of the line" while a highway has many on-ramps. Weren't we talking about entering the highway in the middle of a traffic jam? Yes, I believe we were. So if the amusement park has a "on-ramp" near the front of the line, I'll take it. Wait, they do, it's those "get your ticket in advance and you don't have to wait in line" things. And no, I've never been thrown out for using their system. Weird, huh?

Too many cars for too few lanes is what causes traffic jams. The fact that you've been on a road where a lane ended but there weren't enough cars to create a jam has absolutely no bearing on this discussion. If you've got 3 full lanes and one of them ends, you will have a traffic jam. Period.

Boarder
5/16/2006, 01:00 PM
If everyone had more patience, there'd never be a problem.

sanantoniosooner
5/16/2006, 01:09 PM
I wish license plates were also the phone number to the car.

I also wish my horn sounded like "HEYYYYYYYYY!!!!!"

NormanPride
5/16/2006, 01:09 PM
Good analogy. Except that an amusement park only has one "end of the line" while a highway has many on-ramps. Weren't we talking about entering the highway in the middle of a traffic jam? Yes, I believe we were. So if the amusement park has a "on-ramp" near the front of the line, I'll take it. Wait, they do, it's those "get your ticket in advance and you don't have to wait in line" things. And no, I've never been thrown out for using their system. Weird, huh?

Actually, my original post was about moving from one highway to another, with people cutting in front of the line. Now I'm not sure what you're talking about. And I think 1TC is talking about people coming up the shoulder on an on-ramp, which is illegal and dangerous. I'm just talking about people being jerkwads by cutting in front of a line of cars and slowing them all down.

Too many cars for too few lanes is what causes traffic jams. The fact that you've been on a road where a lane ended but there weren't enough cars to create a jam has absolutely no bearing on this discussion. If you've got 3 full lanes and one of them ends, you will have a traffic jam. Period.

If the lanes are so full that you're going to have a traffic jam anyway, then yes. I have no problem with people merging at the end there, as they have no choice. But the place I get frustrated with is when there's little enough traffic that if people merge within, say a quarter mile at least, that a traffic jam could be avoided. Instead, there are always the few idiots that zoom towards the end, wait at the cones until someone lets them in, thereby slowing down everyone behind them and causing traffic to back up.

I would also like to point out that the drivers who let them in are just as at fault.

Boarder
5/16/2006, 01:10 PM
I don't rush up to the front of the line. But, it doesn't bother me that people do.

sanantoniosooner
5/16/2006, 01:13 PM
I don't rush up to the front of the line. But, it doesn't bother me that people do.
I edited. I realized it's wan't you commiting the horrible act.

You are the zen master of the interstate.:D

Boarder
5/16/2006, 01:14 PM
I credit XM Chill.

Jimminy Crimson
5/16/2006, 01:20 PM
I believe there was a law passed not too long ago that earns you a ticket (if youre within sight of a cop) if you don't merge within something like 500ft? of the end lane. It might be more. I fo'get.

Mjcpr
5/16/2006, 01:22 PM

It's flat-out Bedlam up there.

BlondeSoonerGirl
5/16/2006, 01:28 PM
This...thread...is...angering...me...

soonerhubs
5/16/2006, 01:28 PM
I got tired of being angry on the road about the time 4 cars full of individuals got out of their cars at the traffic light and tried to call me on when I honked at one of them.

These days I just slow down and get in the far right lane. If I'm late I'm late, better late than dead. :)

Plus soft rock helps. Seriously.

critical_phil
5/16/2006, 01:31 PM
many a person has taken an unintentional trip on I40 East to downton OKC because they couldn't play by the rules on I44 West.

i look at it as my public duty....................

sooneron
5/16/2006, 01:32 PM
Last minute mergers are the suck. They are all over the place up here. I was driving in NC one time and I saw a sign that said Right Lane ends 1/2 mile. People started to immediately get over. They do it right. Must be a nascar thing.

It doesn't necessarily have to do with more traffic than lanes can handle. Last second idiot tries to rush ahead- he gets there with no real slot and slows down, he then finds a slot and cuts in - already going slower than the lane he is merging into, this causes the driver that is cut off to slow down and then, everybody has to hit their brakes.

soonerhubs
5/16/2006, 01:38 PM
About my last post. I suppose it's still okay to honk at people on the free way as long as the traffic as moving at a "can't get out of the car with 6 other pansies" speed.

NormanPride
5/16/2006, 01:43 PM
When I was in Miami people honked all the time. I think in some cities it's just another way of communicating.

slickdawg
5/16/2006, 01:45 PM

talk to your :chicken: about stress relief.

:texan:

Boomer_Sooner_sax
5/16/2006, 02:02 PM
Another thing that angers me greatly is when the dumb@$$ pulling out of Wal-Mart pulls out in to traffic like a bat of hell less then 20 feet in front of you when you are a full speed and then does like 10mph down the road. This is the time I had a crappy car and I would plow through the stupid f***ers car!

walkoffsooner
5/16/2006, 02:41 PM

Me to I can't stand it

Stanley1
5/16/2006, 03:32 PM
Coming home from Tulsa on Easter, I encountered some of "you" people. Construction was taking the lanes down from 2 to 1. I believe the right lane ended. Well a couple of cars/trucks were trying to straddle the middle line, not letting cars go up in the right lane before merging. I was in the right lane, and it ****ed me off. We weren't 200 feet from the lane ending, we were like 3,000 feet. Finally got around one of those cars, then decided to take an exit that was about 500 feet up ahead, and before the lane ended. As I'm driving up the right hand lane, this truck acts like it is going to dart out in front of me, trying to stop me from going up that lane. I honk, the biotch in the passenger seat flips me the bird. I damn near stopped and told her I had ever right in the world to drive up that lane if I wanted to, and there was an exit I planned to take anyways. But it was Easter, so I returned the bird and drove on.

The end.

tbl
5/16/2006, 03:41 PM
I will admit to pulling up to a red light in the straight lane that the left turn lane is notoriously backed up, then eeking over once it turns green. I always do this b/c you can gaurantee that there is somebody that gives 6 car lengths between the car in front of them, so I always have room, and I never slow anything down.

I'll also do that on the right turn only when the straight lane is notoriously backed up... but I won't hold the cars up behind me that are actually turning right. If I'm stuck there and they could go, I'll turn right, bust a quick U-ey in the road, then turn back road onto my homeward path.

StoopTroup
5/16/2006, 03:47 PM
If I see an aggie or whorn in a wreck, I'll stop to make sure they are alright.

If they are unconscious or dead, I'll usually just grab their wallet or purse and throw it in my car...then call 911.

NormanPride
5/16/2006, 03:49 PM
If I see an aggie or whorn in a wreck, I'll stop to make sure they are alright.

If they are unconscious or dead, I'll usually just grab their wallet or purse and throw it in my car...then call 911.

They use veterinarians?

OUTromBoNado
5/16/2006, 05:02 PM
It's awesome when truckers pull half onto the shoulder or the other lanes to keep those a$$holes from speeding up and cutting in like that. My hat is off to those truckers.

Stanley1
5/16/2006, 05:40 PM
It's awesome when truckers pull half onto the shoulder or the other lanes to keep those a$$holes from speeding up and cutting in like that. My hat is off to those truckers.

They are breaking the law, cars that drive on an open lane of traffic do not.

sanantoniosooner
5/16/2006, 06:07 PM
I like courteous lawbreakers better than law abiding a-holes.

VeeJay
5/16/2006, 06:34 PM
You folks have no clue.

In my parts, red lights are a suggestion, not a point of instruction or societal expectation.

We have people from - ahem - south of the border, if you will, from various and sundry island nations, here, some legal, some otherwise, some insured, some not, some licensed to drive, some in stolen vehicles....creating havoc for people like me. At this point in my life, I usually let the vermin have their way on the road without even a honk of the horn, a flip-off, or a headstick out of the window with "Kawk-sugger".

Back in my day, though...

OUTromBoNado
5/16/2006, 06:47 PM
They are breaking the law, cars that drive on an open lane of traffic do not.

So, you're saying the guys that speed down the shoulders or off-road at 75 mph during a traffic jam just to get a few cars ahead are not breaking the law? That kind of driving is what causes accidents. I appreciate it when a trucker stradles the lane and the shoulder to try to prevent that kind of stuff.

The one that I always thought was funny was people driving north across the Red River in Gainesville in that contruction zone on I-35. Everybody was pulling off the highway going off-road to the service road. Little did they know the road ended in the river and U-turned back going southbound next the pr0n store. I had fun yelling at them with my window down.

"GOOD LUCK GETTING ACROSS THE RIVER A$$HOLE! FLOAT THAT HOOPTEE!"

sanantoniosooner
5/16/2006, 06:53 PM
Maybe they had a sudden need for pr0n.

critical_phil
5/16/2006, 06:57 PM
Maybe they had a sudden need for pr0n.

a sudden need?

as opposed to what- a cultivated appreciation?

pr0n is always a sudden need.