PDA

View Full Version : Jeremy Mayfield to UAB

jdsooner
5/15/2006, 06:26 PM
According to Dean Blevins.:confused:

Rhino
5/15/2006, 06:42 PM
Yep. He signed a binding letter-of-intent with them.

Which, of course, means he's free to leave anytime he wants.

Jimminy Crimson
5/15/2006, 07:23 PM
I wonder who he'll choose next month :confused: :D

OUstud
5/15/2006, 08:37 PM
Wow, great move. Have fun being on ESPN maybe once a season and having no one know who you are.

The Consumate Showman
5/15/2006, 09:44 PM
What an idiot!!! I don't think coach Capel is THAT bad. He may be new, but c'mon ya little moron....

YOU COULD HAVE POSSIBLY STARTED OR GOT EXTENSIVE PLAYING TIME AND BEEN PLAYING IN THE BIG XII......what a wetawd!!!!!

OUGreg723
5/15/2006, 10:14 PM
HAHA!! I'm sorry....WHAT AN IDIOT! I know he's just a kid, but jeeze louise!

SoonerShark
5/15/2006, 10:16 PM
Maybe he wants to play on ESPN3.

Soonerwake
5/15/2006, 10:41 PM
Maybe he wants to play on ESPN3.

I think you mean ESPN8, The Ocho. They'll play immediately following the dodgeball championships.

NUSooner
5/16/2006, 03:01 AM
kinda interesting that he goes to play for the coach that Kelvin replaced.

GDC
5/16/2006, 09:15 AM
Former Oklahoma signee chooses UAB
By GUERIN EMIG World Sports Writer
5/16/2006

NORMAN -- Former Oklahoma basketball signee Jeremy Mayfield has signed a letter of intent with Alabama-Birmingham.

Mayfield, the 6-foot-10 prospect who was rated the nation's No. 4 post-graduate player last year with God's Academy in Dallas, signed with the Sooners last November, but requested his release after Kelvin Sampson left for Indiana last month.

OU granted Mayfield's request May 3, freeing him to re-sign with another school without losing eligibility.

Mayfield wound up signing with UAB coach Mike Davis, whose resignation from Indiana last February cleared the way for Sampson to leave OU.

Scottie Reynolds and Damion James, two other nationally-touted OU signees from last November, have also been released from their letters of intent. Though neither has re-signed with a different school, it is expected that both will do so..

The Consumate Showman
5/16/2006, 10:03 AM
I hate to be ill-willed toward people, especially young kids, but I hope all three of these jackasses never see any national spotlight. Even if Scottie chose to come back to OU, I wouldn't be cheering on the little prick. If he thinks he is bigger than his word, let him go down in flames...

NormanPride
5/16/2006, 10:19 AM
I hate to be ill-willed toward people, especially young kids, but I hope all three of these jackasses never see any national spotlight. Even if Scottie chose to come back to OU, I wouldn't be cheering on the little prick. If he thinks he is bigger than his word, let him go down in flames...

I feel the same way. I wouldn't normally, but Scottie's been the ringleader on this one, really. I don't feel as bad towards Mayfield, but both Reynolds and James said repeatedly how excited they were to come play for Capel. That deception is what ticks me off. I hope their indecision and inability to be truthful to everyone around them bites them in the ***.

jccouger
5/16/2006, 02:14 PM
I hate UAB and Jeremy Mayfield now.

Who will be next on my list?

FroggyStyle22
5/16/2006, 02:35 PM

I've got an idea. Let's post hateful remarks about an 18 year old kid who changed his mind after the situation he got into changed drastically. I mean he is such a jerk for wanting to do what is best for him for the next four years. I understand that he gave his word to play ball for OU but Sampson also gave his word that he would be his coach. If you are gonna post hate towards anyone post it toward the adult who really started this mess.

Soonerwolf
5/16/2006, 03:01 PM
I've got an idea. Let's post hateful remarks about an 18 year old kid who changed his mind after the situation he got into changed drastically. I mean he is such a jerk for wanting to do what is best for him for the next four years. I understand that he gave his word to play ball for OU but Sampson also gave his word that he would be his coach. If you are gonna post hate towards anyone post it toward the adult who really started this mess.

This is a very good point. Yes the 3 kids acted like, well kids. In the end you can't blame them entirely for the situation OU b-ball faces this upcoming season (the 07-08 season already looks promising).

I hope that in the end IU does exercise it's clause to remove KS from his "dream job". His actions and deceptions have done in the b-ball program for the short run.

:chicken:

JohnnyMack
5/16/2006, 03:13 PM
Why all the fuss over a NASCAR driver who isn't all that good anyway?

The Consumate Showman
5/16/2006, 10:29 PM

Listen, these kids have got to start acting more like adults. Would you quit your job because your boss left for what he thought were greener pastures?

Now, I am in NO way of saying that I was lovin' Sampson at all. Frankly, I thought it might have been time for a change. But it's like I said before and I'll say it again. Hypothetical situation (God forbid!): Sampson is at OU awaiting the arrival of his three mega star recruits. He is driving home one night and he accidentally hits a tree and dies. In the aftermath, the three so-called mega stars opt out of their LOI's to OU to puruse other avenues.

I would love to see how many people would be up in arms about, "OU couldn't help it that a tragedy happened. These kids are being a$$e$ about not honoring their LOI's."

All I am saying is that OU, the school those three said they wanted to play for, could NOT help or forsee, neither could Sampson, that our coach would be leaving. We have found a youthful and energetic coach from a storied program that played under argueable the third best college hoops coach ever.

What does OU have to do to prove themselves to these kids is my question? We have met them half way...they chose to turn around. I know they're kids and just 18, but you have to mature sometime and be a man and honor your word. PERIOD.

The Consumate Showman
5/16/2006, 10:30 PM
Why all the fuss over a NASCAR driver who isn't all that good anyway?

awesome :twinkies:

stoops the eternal pimp
5/16/2006, 10:35 PM
I hate UAB and Jeremy Mayfield now.

May Stoops show no mercy on their miserable souls

The Consumate Showman
5/16/2006, 10:37 PM
May Stoops show no mercy on their miserable souls

Mack Brown, Jr, is going down....

A season beating the hell outta both Brown's...ahhhhhhh, refreshing!!!!!!!!!!

sooner518
5/17/2006, 12:05 AM
mighty UAB! have fun dude.

at least he actually decided on something and cut the suspense early. Im ready for the other 2 tools to make a choice already and quit stringing us along.

suncoastsooner7
5/17/2006, 03:53 PM
Jeremy Mayfield and UAB will go no where. Anderson and his predecessors have made their way at UAB by dominating the Florida JUCO market (for the most part) and it is my understanding that MD has already ****ed off a number of the coaches down here in the JUCO ranks such as Chipola and PJC. I know for a fact that he is on thin ice with the Okaloosa-Walton coaching staff already as well. You lose out on Chipola and OWC and UAB will fade into obscurity while South Florida laughs to the bank. Funny thing is that USF was the team that it came down to for Mayfield against the Sooners. Kind of fitting or ironic.

Just some food for thought on the issue a few years ago UAB made the sweet 16 and without OWC, Chipola, and PJC kids they would have been short three of their starters and two reserves, including their two best players in the twins.

FroggyStyle22
5/17/2006, 04:10 PM
Listen, these kids have got to start acting more like adults. Would you quit your job because your boss left for what he thought were greener pastures?

Now, I am in NO way of saying that I was lovin' Sampson at all. Frankly, I thought it might have been time for a change. But it's like I said before and I'll say it again. Hypothetical situation (God forbid!): Sampson is at OU awaiting the arrival of his three mega star recruits. He is driving home one night and he accidentally hits a tree and dies. In the aftermath, the three so-called mega stars opt out of their LOI's to OU to puruse other avenues.

I would love to see how many people would be up in arms about, "OU couldn't help it that a tragedy happened. These kids are being a$$e$ about not honoring their LOI's."

All I am saying is that OU, the school those three said they wanted to play for, could NOT help or forsee, neither could Sampson, that our coach would be leaving. We have found a youthful and energetic coach from a storied program that played under argueable the third best college hoops coach ever.

What does OU have to do to prove themselves to these kids is my question? We have met them half way...they chose to turn around. I know they're kids and just 18, but you have to mature sometime and be a man and honor your word. PERIOD.

Look at the graduation rates for basketball players. Almost NO college recruit chooses a school. They choose a basketball program and a coach. You may not like it but that is reality.

Plus your argument about leaving a job just because the boss leaves is not even analogous to this situation. It would be more like you went on a job interview and loved the job and the boss, but then that boss left before you started the job and they hired someone who you feel for whatever reason you could not work with. Now imagine that someone else offered you a job that had a boss that you got along better with and now thought that provided you with greater opportunities for you and your family. What would you do? If you say stay at the other job and miss out on what you feel are better opportunities I would say you are being untruthful.

You are looking at this from the perspective of a fan and not someone who cares about this kid personally. I don't really blame anyone for this because we are all fans, but calling them a prick for watching out for their own *** and disapointing you is a little immature.

JohnnyMack
5/17/2006, 04:50 PM
Look at the graduation rates for basketball players. Almost NO college recruit chooses a school. They choose a basketball program and a coach. You may not like it but that is reality.

Yup.

The combination of Coach + Program = Professional playing career in these kids' minds.

Once the balance of Coach + Program has been upset, it's only natural to make sure that you feel like the Coach + Program you end up with has the best opportunity for you to make it to a professional playing career.

I for one don't blame these kids for second guessing their decision.

However it's hard to say what outside influences (parents, parents relationship with coach, "agents", etc.) play in the decision making process as well.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/17/2006, 11:45 PM
I guess Reynolds and James are going to commit to Connors now