PDA

View Full Version : I have a little problem...

Melo
5/15/2006, 05:24 PM
The original problem was finding a place to hire me. I applied back at that little chinese place, just because I knew theyd hire me until I could find something else that would give me more hours.

So they called me in to an interveiw tomorrow. I turned in an application to this dress shop today, and they have given me an interveiw. I just got a phone call from yet another place where I applied, but the time they wanted me in wasnt going to work out.

So here is the problem: I have too many places wanting to hire me. The chinese place will hire me, but they wont give me the hours I want. But I am afraid to turn them down, just in case the other ones dont work out. But if I go ahead and start working for them, then interveiw wih someone else, who will give me way better hours... how am I supposed to do that? Do I juggle two jobs? Tell the better place I am working two jobs? The bad thing with that is that the reason th other, better places are calling me back is because I told them I can work any hours. Which conflicts with the other job.

Ok, SO of infinite wisdom... what is the best course of action?

TIA.

Beano's Fourth Chin
5/15/2006, 05:27 PM
You could always get a job with the military as one of those wind talker types.

All the terrorists would be, like, "I DO NOT RECOGNIZE THIS CODE WHAT IS THIS CODE THE AMERICANS HAVE A BRAND NEW CODE THAT IS VIRTUALLY UNCRACKABLE IT APPEARS TO MAKE NO SENSE WHATSOEVER!!!"

NormanPride
5/15/2006, 05:32 PM
Can you not tell the Chinese place that you're waiting on other offers? Is there a possibility that they'll fill the positions before you hear back from your other possible employers?

Melo
5/15/2006, 05:35 PM
Is it ok to do that? To tell someplace that youre waiting on other offers?

NormanPride
5/15/2006, 05:37 PM
Well, it's never your best option, but if you're absolutely sure that the Chinese place will hire you, then wouldn't they wait for a bit? Worst case you can stall by saying you have to get your finances in line or something. :D

proud gonzo
5/15/2006, 05:37 PM
why wouldn't it be? tell them you applied several places and are waiting to hear back before you accept anything.

Jimminy Crimson
5/15/2006, 05:41 PM
I'm weighing my options/offers and I'll get back with you as soon as possible.

If they say no can do, tell them: like marie antoinette, you're history! see yaaaaa!

Beano's Fourth Chin
5/15/2006, 05:41 PM
If you spell dolemite backwards, you get:

etimelod

coincidence? I think not.

birddog
5/15/2006, 06:14 PM
go with the chinese gig for now. it's a sure thing and you'll get some food grubbins.

Mjcpr
5/15/2006, 06:18 PM
I don't want any round eye cooking up my Moo Goo Gai Pan....what are you going to be doing there?

oumartin
5/15/2006, 06:19 PM
Don't bring your problems here! ;)

bri
5/15/2006, 06:25 PM
Sting the Chinese place along. Be vague. SECRETIVE, even.

But then, I'm shifty and evil.

jk the sooner fan
5/15/2006, 06:42 PM
you're what.......19? i doubt you need to worry about the job hopping thing at your age, but i doubt if you tell the china buffet that your'e holding out for another job, that they'll say "oh sure, take your time and pick whats best for you"

my advice is take whatever you can now, start earning a paycheck and if something better comes along, go do it.....you're not juggling the choice between two executive careers here...

Stanley1
5/15/2006, 06:56 PM
you're what.......19? i doubt you need to worry about the job hopping thing at your age, but i doubt if you tell the china buffet that your'e holding out for another job, that they'll say "oh sure, take your time and pick whats best for you"

my advice is take whatever you can now, start earning a paycheck and if something better comes along, go do it.....you're not juggling the choice between two executive careers here...

Coming from a job hopper himself. :D ;)

Melo
5/15/2006, 07:21 PM

I'd be a hostess at a pretty nice restaruant.

The thing is... More hours = more money, and money is what I need. Not to spend on myself, but for college next year. The more I can make now, the less I have to worry about it in the future. Exectutive careers or not, this is important for my future. Because if I dont come up with the money, no one else will.

That being said... Yes, The hostess job will bring money now, but not enough in the long run. I just dont want to burn any bridges.

I think I am just going to take PG's, JC's an Norman Pride's advice on this one. Thanks guys.

If you spell dolemite backwards, you get:

etimelod

coincidence? I think not.

Yea, and if you spell Beano backwards, you get:

onaeb

And by 'onaeb', I mean 'mean guy who picks on little girls.'

Melo
5/15/2006, 07:23 PM
I don't want any round eye cooking up my Moo Goo Gai Pan....what are you going to be doing there?

I'd be a hostess. Smiling at customers, ansering questions, seating them, bringing them drinks, putting orders in the kitchen and working the cash register. And eating fortune cookies. :)

Jimminy Crimson
5/15/2006, 07:25 PM
I always feel shortchanged at hibachi restaurants when our dinner hostess is a 'round-eye' wearing a kimono.

It's just not authentic enough for me.

:texan:

jk the sooner fan
5/15/2006, 07:26 PM
Coming from a job hopper himself. :D ;)

yeah you know me, the guy with 2 jobs in the last 24 years.....

Stanley1
5/15/2006, 07:27 PM
yeah you know me, the guy with 2 jobs in the last 24 years.....

Soon to be 3 though, thats what pushed you into "job hopper" category. ;)

Howzit
5/15/2006, 07:31 PM
Do You Ever Feel Melo was sung by Olivia Newton John.

Olivia Newton John is Australian.

Australia has aborigine people.

Aboriginie people go on walkabout for moths at a time to figure stuff like this out.

So do that.

jk the sooner fan
5/15/2006, 07:35 PM
Soon to be 3 though

god willing, i hope you're right.........you can call me whatever you want if i get a new job

Jimminy Crimson
5/15/2006, 07:39 PM
Aboriginie people go on walkabout for moths at a time to figure stuff like this out.

Unless you're a gringo in a wheelchair. They won't let you go on said walkabout.

Howzit
5/15/2006, 07:40 PM
Detals.

Oldnslo
5/15/2006, 09:11 PM
Do You Ever Feel Melo was sung by Olivia Newton John.

Olivia Newton John is Australian.

Australia has aborigine people.

So do that.
Sit down before you hurt yourself.

Oh, Melo? The "weighing options" answer is the correct one. YWIA.

proud gonzo
5/15/2006, 09:12 PM

yeah, sometimes even BUTTERFLIES. :eek:

IB4OU2
5/15/2006, 10:01 PM

All the terrorists would be, like, "I DO NOT RECOGNIZE THIS CODE WHAT IS THIS CODE THE AMERICANS HAVE A BRAND NEW CODE THAT IS VIRTUALLY UNCRACKABLE IT APPEARS TO MAKE NO SENSE WHATSOEVER!!!"

Yes and we'll call it woman speak! Brilliant! ;)

Howzit
5/15/2006, 10:10 PM
Sit down before you hurt yourself.

I think I strained something.

Sooner24
5/15/2006, 10:37 PM

I think they were just watching music videos on BET. :rolleyes:

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
5/15/2006, 10:49 PM
I always feel shortchanged at hibachi restaurants when our dinner hostess is a 'round-eye' wearing a kimono.

It's just not authentic enough for me.

:texan:Worst Chinese food experience evar was when I walked in and every single person working there was white. Suckiest Chinese food ever.

Jimminy Crimson
5/15/2006, 10:52 PM
Worst Chinese food experience evar was when I walked in and every single person working there was white. Suckiest Chinese food ever.

If all the employees were white, maybe it really was 'Chinese' food. :eek: ;)

olevetonahill
5/16/2006, 12:39 AM
Tell em all " I can start in two weeks " Problem solved

TheHumanAlphabet
5/16/2006, 03:51 AM
Worst Chinese food experience evar was when I walked in and every single person working there was white. Suckiest Chinese food ever.

You KNOW that ain't a good sign...I would have walked out.

etouffee
5/16/2006, 06:02 AM
Take a job now to start earning money. If a better offer comes along, quit and take the better job. Don't ever feel guilty about quitting a job or feel that you have some moral obligation or debt of loyalty to an employer; you employer would terminate you in a heartbeat if it was advantageous to the business. They will always do what's best for them, you, likewise, must do what is best for you.