PDA

View Full Version : And Speaking of Bad Neighborhoods...

Viking Kitten
5/15/2006, 01:56 PM
So I'm driving down 23rd Street just now and I pass by the place where people sell plasma. The usual assortment of shady characters are hanging around out front, but standing off by herself is this sad little blonde waif of a girl, probably 7-8 months pregnant.

My first thought... That poor girl. There but for the grace of God go I.

My second thought... Man, that'd make a great "OWNED!!!" pic. Czar really needs to get me a camera phone for my birthday.

Cack
5/15/2006, 01:59 PM
GAAAAAH that's horrible ... second thought ... it's a little humorous ... ok ... very funny ... get that camera phone

Mjcpr
5/15/2006, 02:00 PM
Wouldn't she make more money hooking?

1stTimeCaller
5/15/2006, 02:02 PM
how do you know that she golfs?

Mjcpr
5/15/2006, 02:05 PM
how do you know that she golfs?

Obviously, she likes woods.

BigRedJed
5/15/2006, 02:08 PM
I'm putting that place on my Flaming Lips tour of Oklahoma City. They used to sell plasma there when they weren't on the road. Plus, it's very convenient to their first practice facilitiy, to the Blue Note (first show), to the old Rainbow Records (where Scott Booker and Jonathan Donahue worked), and Wayne's Long John Silvers.

I think I could get at least 10 people a year to pay me a couple of bucks to drive them around and show them those places.

Well, at the very least I'm certain that I could get bri come to town and pay me for a tour.

BigRedJed
5/15/2006, 02:09 PM
Actually, the more I think about it... ...bad idea.

Jimminy Crimson
5/15/2006, 02:13 PM
PLASMOWN3D!!!

slickdawg
5/15/2006, 02:14 PM
So I'm driving down 23rd Street just now and I pass by the place where people sell plasma. The usual assortment of shady characters are hanging around out front, but standing off by herself is this sad little blonde waif of a girl, probably 7-8 months pregnant.

My first thought... That poor girl. There but for the grace of God go I.

My second thought... Man, that'd make a great "OWNED!!!" pic. Czar really needs to get me a camera phone for my birthday.

OK CZAR, YOU HAVE A CLUE FOR WHAT TO GET VK FOR HER BIRTHDAY!!!!

YWIA

1stTimeCaller
5/15/2006, 02:15 PM
did you see Cedric Benson standing in line?

Viking Kitten
5/15/2006, 02:16 PM
...and Wayne's Long John Silvers.

I don't think it's just an LJS anymore, it's one of those LJS/KFC/A&W combo places. Sad how the neighborhood has changed. We should get Nickelback to write a song about it.

JohnnyMack
5/15/2006, 02:17 PM
did you see Cedric Benson standing in line?

:rolleyes:

Don't you have some white trash to throw out of your car or something?

1stTimeCaller
5/15/2006, 02:18 PM
:rolleyes:

Don't you have some white trash to throw out of your car or something?

dood, you know the arrangement is for you to drop them off and I pick 'em up.

Flagstaffsooner
Yipes, I used to live near there.

yermom
I don't think it's just an LJS anymore, it's one of those LJS/KFC/A&W combo places. Sad how the neighborhood has changed. We should get Nickelback to write a song about it.

look at this LJS... every time i do it makes me laugh

Viking Kitten
5/15/2006, 02:20 PM
Hushpuppies... hushpuppies

BigRedJed
5/15/2006, 02:21 PM
Different LJS. The one he worked at was on Classen. It's now a Vietnamese noodle shop.

"GET ON THE FLOOR MOTHER****ERS!! GET ON THE FLOOR!!"

Jimminy Crimson
5/15/2006, 02:22 PM

It's some mom and pop asian restaurant.

Czar Soonerov
5/15/2006, 02:23 PM
OK CZAR, YOU HAVE A CLUE FOR WHAT TO GET VK FOR HER BIRTHDAY!!!!

YWIA

It's 1 on a very looooong list..

SoonerInKCMO
5/15/2006, 02:23 PM
to the old Rainbow Records (where Scott Booker and Jonathan Donahue worked),

Please tell me that by "old" you don't mean "not there anymore". Please. :(

Viking Kitten
5/15/2006, 02:24 PM
It's some mom and pop asian restaurant.
Pad Thai... Pad Thai

JohnnyMack
5/15/2006, 02:25 PM
One time, in a moment of weakness, I went to one of those LJS/A&W combo places as I had a craving for that fried goodness that is LJS. I ordered a plate of fried fish/chicken/fries/hushpuppies and the chick taking my order asked if I wanted chili on any part of my order. I thought the artery clogging fried items were quite enough without the cancer causing red meat piled on. But I did have a diet coke to drink.

Czar Soonerov
5/15/2006, 02:26 PM
look at this LJS... every time i do it makes me laugh

Oh oh oh
Oh god I

BigRedJed
5/15/2006, 02:28 PM
Please tell me that by "old" you don't mean "not there anymore". Please. :(
Yep. There's still a (much downsized) Rainbow, but it's over by the **** o' the Walk on Western.

BigRedJed
5/15/2006, 02:28 PM
Heh. "**** o' the Walk."

LilSooner
5/15/2006, 03:44 PM
Ohhh! We went by Wayne's house this weekend looking at neighborhoods cause how cool would it be to live next to Wayne? Then we realized where he lived and fled.

His house is very awesome though.

BigRedJed
5/15/2006, 03:50 PM
See? I told you...

Gatewood (my old neighborhood) is actually awesome. The only problem is that it is across the street from Classen-10-Penn.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
5/15/2006, 03:54 PM
See? I told you...

Gatewood (my old neighborhood) is actually awesome. The only problem is that it is across the street from Classen-10-Penn.But Classen-10-Penn is on the historical register isn't it? Maybe they have just asked to be. . .

hurricane'bone
5/15/2006, 03:55 PM
I'm putting that place on my Flaming Lips tour of Oklahoma City. They used to sell plasma there when they weren't on the road. Plus, it's very convenient to their first practice facilitiy, to the Blue Note (first show), to the old Rainbow Records (where Scott Booker and Jonathan Donahue worked), and Wayne's Long John Silvers.

I think I could get at least 10 people a year to pay me a couple of bucks to drive them around and show them those places.

Well, at the very least I'm certain that I could get bri come to town and pay me for a tour.

I'd give you a Hamilton or two.

sooneron
5/15/2006, 03:59 PM
The inside of Wayne's house is... well... eclectic as you would expect.

Mjcpr
5/15/2006, 04:03 PM
I'm sure this has been discussed a thousand times but.....

WhoTF is Wayne Cohen?

yermom
5/15/2006, 04:05 PM

WhoTF is Wayne Cohen?

BRJ's boyfriend

BlondeSoonerGirl
5/15/2006, 04:08 PM

WhoTF is Wayne Cohen?

He's not in Don Williams' band.

You wouldn't know him.

:D

Mjcpr
5/15/2006, 04:09 PM
I wouldn't know him then either.

sooneron
5/15/2006, 04:18 PM
I think Wayne Cohen is some jewish country singer.

KC//CRIMSON
5/15/2006, 04:23 PM

WhoTF is Wayne Cohen?

He's a famous movie director. Here's a list of some of his movies.

Fargo
The Big Lebowski
Oh Brother Where Art Thou?
Raising Arizona

ring a bell?

silverwheels
5/15/2006, 04:23 PM
I think Wayne Cohen is some jewish country singer.

Yeah, he's not an actual Jew. He's Jewish.

LilSooner
5/15/2006, 05:28 PM

WhoTF is Wayne Cohen?

I hate you so much right now! ARRRRGH!!!

BRJ we didn't go through gatewood because we A5sumed it was like that all over. I LOVE mesta park and I soooo wanna marry it.

proud gonzo
5/15/2006, 05:43 PM
He's a famous movie director. Here's a list of some of his movies.

Fargo
The Big Lebowski
Oh Brother Where Art Thou?
Raising Arizona

ring a bell?

WRONG

BigRedJed
5/15/2006, 05:55 PM
I hate you so much right now! ARRRRGH!!!

BRJ we didn't go through gatewood because we A5sumed it was like that all over. I LOVE mesta park and I soooo wanna marry it.
You should have gone through Gatewood. NOT a bad neighborhood.

Well, the eastern half is kind of sketchy, between Carey Place and Classen. The last two or three blocks immediately west of Classen are really quite nice. Pretty much the entire western half is stable, and very nice. In some cases downright swanky.

It should be noted that Gatewood is by far the largest defined neigborhood in OKC. So if half of it is crap, it is still a long way from much of the other half.

And SBSB, Gatewood is a National Register of Historic Places district, Classen-10-Penn is not.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
5/15/2006, 11:05 PM
You should have gone through Gatewood. NOT a bad neighborhood.

Well, the eastern half is kind of sketchy, between Carey Place and Classen. The last two or three blocks immediately west of Classen are really quite nice. Pretty much the entire western half is stable, and very nice. In some cases downright swanky.

It should be noted that Gatewood is by far the largest defined neigborhood in OKC. So if half of it is crap, it is still a long way from much of the other half.

And SBSB, Gatewood is a National Register of Historic Places district, Classen-10-Penn is not.You are right. I wasn't certain. I had looked at a survey on the neighborhood at SHPO but I forgot what it said.

Jimminy Crimson
5/15/2006, 11:09 PM
You are right.

Is the Secretary ever wrong? :cool:

BigRedJed
5/15/2006, 11:14 PM
That's Mayor to you. Behave, or I won't let you be vice-Mayor anymore.

Jimminy Crimson
5/15/2006, 11:20 PM
That's Mayor to you. Behave, or I won't let you be vice-Mayor anymore.

:cool: