PDA

View Full Version : this oklahoman article is pathetic...

PDXsooner
5/15/2006, 01:54 PM
they're making the argument that taylor being suspended is good for OU? that is the most pathetic thing i've ever heard. i don't think teams look at suspensions or injuries as a good thing, and if you do you're a *****.

http://newsok.com/article/1844209/

MamaMia
5/15/2006, 02:12 PM
Since when do the Sooners need to capitalize on the misfortunes of the horns to beat them? Seems to me as if thats a need on the part of the horns.

Octavian
5/15/2006, 02:29 PM
Taylor incident gives Sooners hope

By John Helsley
The Oklahoman

Even during the lazy days of May, news ripples about the Red River Shootout.
The latest, Texas tailback Ramonce Taylor's felony bust for possession -- five pounds of weed is serious possession -- favors Oklahoma, if the charges hold.

But is it enough?

Remember, the Longhorns were 33 points better than OU last October.

Was Vince Young that good?

There's always hope in Soonerville.

Texas had 14 Rose Bowl starters returning before Taylor's arrest.

Not that the Horns don't have capable replacements. Jamaal Charles is actually UT's top returning ball carrier after rushing for 878 yards and averaging 7.4 per carry as a freshman a year ago.

But Taylor was a playmaker as a runner, receiver and returner.

He'll be missed.

And this Taylor thing could hint at potential problems in Austin. First, Young said he was returning, then he was gone.

Then Taylor was suspended for the spring semester to shore up academic issues. Now, barring botched police work, he's almost surely gone for good.

And out in Phoenix, word is big offensive lineman Justin Blalock has been living large at the Playboy All-American party.

It's a bit reminiscent of OU's offseason after the 2000 national title. The Sooners lost a great quarterback (Josh Heupel). Defensive back Michael Thompson drove into a tree off Indian Hill Road and effectively ruined the potential of a great career.

The point is, it takes good players -- and good luck -- to win a national title. Taylor's loss represents a hit to the Horns on both counts.

And suddenly idle time in Austin looks dangerous.

So we look ahead to Oct. 7 with interest, even in mid-May.

The Sooners return 13 players from the Holiday Bowl, plus 2004 regular Larry Birdine. And they might be better now than they were last October, when Young and Co. KO'd the Sooners and their Cotton Bowl dominance.

But Young is gone. And so now is Taylor.

Is it enough?

He should've just stopped w/ VY.

Romance was pretty good, but it's not like he would've put his team on his shoulders and win it for them in Dallas.

Socrefbek
5/15/2006, 02:46 PM
:rolleyes: What a trifecta the DO has ... Trammel, Helsley and Carlson :twinkies:

King Crimson
5/15/2006, 02:58 PM
that is a terrible article. i always thought Ramonce was a solid player, only the worst resentful "fan" thinks like that.

OUMonster
5/15/2006, 03:05 PM
Helsey was the main OSU writer for the last couple years and only this year has he started doing more OU stuff. It wouldn't surprise me if his loyalty still resides in Stillwater and he's just trying to paint the desperation picture upon us to make us look inferior.

Partial Qualifier
5/15/2006, 03:11 PM
Helsey was the main OSU writer for the last couple years and only this year has he started doing more OU stuff. It wouldn't surprise me if his loyalty still resides in Stillwater and he's just trying to paint the desperation picture upon us to make us look inferior.

That or he's still stuck in "little brother" mode

chriscappel
5/15/2006, 03:29 PM
yes...pretty pathetic

OUstud
5/15/2006, 03:33 PM
I was like WTF when I read that...hell I thought Taylor was a DE.

boomersooner28
5/15/2006, 03:34 PM
When I saw the title this morning, I knew it was pathetic....therefor, I did not read it.

Re Todd id

yermom
5/15/2006, 03:40 PM
yeah, because Texass RBs have caused us so much grief in the last 6 years or so

i'll be happy with a healthy Adrian Peterson

King Crimson
5/15/2006, 03:50 PM

if we had wrapped up on Jamal CHarles at the LOS, he might not have gone 60 on us.

yermom
5/15/2006, 04:00 PM
if we had wrapped up on Jamal CHarles at the LOS, he might not have gone 60 on us.

yeah, two of our LBs tackled each other on that play :(

King Crimson
5/15/2006, 04:06 PM
yeah, two of our LBs tackled each other on that play :(

that was only marginally worse than sitting in the chair i am now and saying out loud: "they will try and throw it deep once before the half ends".

47straight
5/15/2006, 05:17 PM

A-ha. That explains the aggie mentality I detected when I first read the article.

Big Red Ron
5/15/2006, 05:22 PM
that was only marginally worse than sitting in the chair i am now and saying out loud: "they will try and throw it deep once before the half ends".OMG....I told my family the same thing!

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to King Crimson again.

critical_phil
5/15/2006, 05:27 PM

i'll be happy with a healthy Adrian Peterson

correctamundo....

latersooner
5/15/2006, 09:49 PM
all Daily Oklahoman articles are pathetic.

Sooner in Tampa
5/16/2006, 05:35 AM
I started to read the article, but after two paragraphs, I couldn't stomach anymore.

Where in the hell do they find these columinsts???

sooneron
5/16/2006, 09:13 AM
That, or the RT holding the safety in plain sight 8 yards downfield!

sooneron
5/16/2006, 09:14 AM
Oh, and I e-mailed the stepchild---
John,
After reading your article about Ramonce Taylor being arrested as being good for OU, I think you should look to keeping your nose in the going's on in Stillwater. To win football games, a team certainly needs a little luck, but this is not the kind of luck that we hope for as University of Oklahoma fans. Reporting a young man's transgression with the law as a positive thing for anyone, is poor sportsmanship and classless. Taylor was a good player, but not one that OU fans think of fearfully when looking to the second Saturday in October. This sort of logic may not apply up in Stillwater, but it doesn't fly in Norman. We like to beat the best team that Texas can put on the field. There is more enjoyment in that. So, please, stick to reporting on aggy, not the Sooners. You obviously are approaching the subject with a mindset that is of an inferiority complex.

PDXsooner
5/16/2006, 10:39 AM
good letter

Sooner in Tampa
5/16/2006, 10:46 AM
Yes, a well written retort.

Octavian
5/16/2006, 11:05 AM
Oh, and I e-mailed the stepchild---
John,
After reading your article about Ramonce Taylor being arrested as being good for OU, I think you should look to keeping your nose in the going's on in Stillwater. To win football games, a team certainly needs a little luck, but this is not the kind of luck that we hope for as University of Oklahoma fans. Reporting a young man's transgression with the law as a positive thing for anyone, is poor sportsmanship and classless. Taylor was a good player, but not one that OU fans think of fearfully when looking to the second Saturday in October. This sort of logic may not apply up in Stillwater, but it doesn't fly in Norman. We like to beat the best team that Texas can put on the field. There is more enjoyment in that. So, please, stick to reporting on aggy, not the Sooners. You obviously are approaching the subject with a mindset that is of an inferiority complex.

can we co-sign?

King Crimson
5/16/2006, 12:22 PM
YMSSRA--sooneron.

footballfanatic
5/16/2006, 01:14 PM
That, or the RT holding the safety in plain sight 8 yards downfield!

Actually, it was 80.

sooneron
5/16/2006, 01:17 PM
Actually, it was 80.
So you're saying it was 80 yards downfield??:confused:

whatever whorn

Statalyzer
5/16/2006, 07:57 PM

Classic "if my aunt had balls" comment.

Of course, Jamaal had absolutely nothing to do with any of the missed tackles.

King Crimson
5/16/2006, 08:05 PM
Classic "if my aunt had balls" comment.

Of course, Jamaal had absolutely nothing to do with any of the missed tackles.

i can't help but reflect, my dear auntie, on the number of threads at hornfans.com about how UT was "2 or 3" plays away from winning the 65-13 game.

too bad you don't have em either.

badger
5/16/2006, 08:10 PM
John sure writes like Jenny Carlson. Do you think she pinned this on somebody else because it was so questionable?

MamaMia
5/17/2006, 10:12 AM
Great letter sooneron. I feel the same way.