PDA

View Full Version : downloading music?

OUinFLA
5/15/2006, 10:11 AM
Ok, you music geeks.
Im thinkin I want to download some music off the web.
Not looking to it illegally, dont mind paying for what I get.
I just find there a a few dozen songs over the past 40 years that I would like to burn and play in my pickemup truck while Im riding to the farm.
I am not interested in buying a bunch of "Greatest Hits" albums to get one or two songs.

What site do you recommend?
What's it cost?

Hatfield
5/15/2006, 10:14 AM
you should check out itunes. it would probably be perfect for what you are wanting to do.

Sooner in Tampa
5/15/2006, 10:14 AM
What site do you recommend?
What's it cost?We use Yahoo Music Plus...it is $60 for the year and then .79 ad download. You get the Yahoo Launch Cast with this, so when you are on you computer you can listen to music (commerical free) and you can tailor your music to your choices.
We have had it for a couple of months now and so far so good.

King Crimson
5/15/2006, 10:19 AM
itunes is what i'd do.

etouffee
5/15/2006, 10:42 AM
itunes

OUDoc
5/15/2006, 10:45 AM
I use MusicMatch Jukebox, through Yahoo. $0.99 per song. Free 30-second online clips of the songs. Not bad.

Howzit
5/15/2006, 10:47 AM
OUinFla, just to let you know, I'm not sure you'll have much luck finding Lawrence Welk online.

King Crimson
5/15/2006, 10:49 AM
I use MusicMatch Jukebox, through Yahoo. $0.99 per song. Free 30-second online clips of the songs. Not bad.

i don't know about their dl service but the music match player on my Dell is too annoying for words. just to open thing (only by accident, now that i've learned) you have to click about 8 different "no, i don't want to x or y"....and the thing is hideous looking. it has all the visual grace of the inside of a Klingon ship on next generation.

King Crimson
5/15/2006, 10:51 AM
OUinFla, just to let you know, I'm not sure you'll have much luck finding Lawrence Welk online.

zat vas vonderfool. a chamink muzikal storee of ze man aand ze voman fruhm ze citee und se countree.

OUDoc
5/15/2006, 10:51 AM
i don't know about their dl service but the music match player on my Dell is too annoying for words. just to open thing (only by accident, now that i've learned) you have to click about 8 different "no, i don't want to x or y"....and the thing is hideous looking. it has all the visual grace of the inside of a Klingon ship on next generation.
Yup, mine came with my Dell, but I don't have any problem loading it.

OUAndy1807
5/15/2006, 11:38 AM
bittorrent

or some russian site

BigRedJed
5/15/2006, 12:12 PM
iTunes.

IB4OU2
5/15/2006, 12:42 PM
Itunes here...

BlondeSoonerGirl
5/15/2006, 12:55 PM
iTunes...

...bitches.

:D

BigRedJed
5/15/2006, 12:57 PM
Shouldn't this be a pole?

yermom
5/15/2006, 01:03 PM
buying individual songs is for suckers

i'm cheap, i mostly buy used CDs if i'm going to buy them, although i do pick up a few new ones occaisionally, but that is fairly rare. generally only bands i already know

for individual songs i usually use Limewire, and turn off sharing

King Crimson
5/15/2006, 01:07 PM

i kinda agree....but i get all my stuff from a friend who an international file sharing fat cat. i take him out for breakfast or lunch about once a month for the effort.

yermom
5/15/2006, 01:10 PM
the convenience is one thing, but i don't like being tied to the iPod or iTunes

if it was paying $1 for a mp3 without DRM i'd be a lot more likely to pay for it, just out of convenience

OUinFLA
5/15/2006, 02:03 PM
no one has mentioned Napster?
Are they passe`?

TopDaugIn2000
5/15/2006, 02:07 PM
I'm tempted to buy a lot of like 200 to 300 CD's off ebay and rip them into MP3s. I know there would be some I'd hate, but who knows what I might get.

something similar to this (http://cgi.ebay.com/Amazing-LARGE-CD-LOT-From-my-Personal-Collection-300-CD_W0QQitemZ4877880909QQcategoryZ31609QQrdZ1QQcmdZ ViewItem) perhaps

yermom
5/15/2006, 02:13 PM
no one has mentioned Napster?
Are they passe`?

they went to some kinda monthly pay service, i think they recently changed formats again, but i haven't kept that close with it

49r
5/15/2006, 09:02 PM

i'm cheap, i mostly buy used CDs if i'm going to buy them, although i do pick up a few new ones occaisionally, but that is fairly rare. generally only bands i already know

for individual songs i usually use Limewire, and turn off sharing

Here's a tip:

If you don't want to share, (i.e. do the stuff that the RIAA sues people for) you can tell LimeWire to share, say just one folder. Put this folder somewhere harmless, then create a .txt file in it. Copy that txt file say, a couple hundred times, then you will not be viewed on the network as a "freeloader". LimeWire disallows sharing to freeloaders by default, so once you are sharing your couple hundred .txt files (that you created yourself, so there's no copyright problems) you will have access to every other sucker's library without restriction.

Not that I know anything about this stuff or anything...

proud gonzo
5/15/2006, 09:23 PM
has anybody mentioned iTunes yet?

IB4OU2
5/15/2006, 09:44 PM
has anybody mentioned iTunes yet?

Me.....I use itunes. :D

achiro
5/15/2006, 10:44 PM
I had a guy tell me today that itunes won't transfer files from other "share" programs onto your ipod. I had never heard this before, is it because it isn't true?

Beano's Fourth Chin
5/15/2006, 10:48 PM
I had a guy tell me today that itunes won't transfer files from other "share" programs onto your ipod. I had never heard this before, is it because it isn't true?

Did he do the finger quote thing when he said, "share"?

Did you punch him when he did it?

When you say share are you talking about illegal sharing programs? If you dl a mp3 from any of the illegal places, iTunes will pretty much put it on your iPod. If you buy songs from another service, iTunes won't transfer it.

tbl
5/15/2006, 10:48 PM
That is a lie my friend... sounds like an undercover music exec.

achiro
5/15/2006, 11:10 PM
Did he do the finger quote thing when he said, "share"?

Did you punch him when he did it?

When you say share are you talking about illegal sharing programs? If you dl a mp3 from any of the illegal places, iTunes will pretty much put it on your iPod. If you buy songs from another service, iTunes won't transfer it.
OK, so if I buy a song from yahoo, try to put it into itunes and it won't transfer to my ipod?

Beano's Fourth Chin
5/15/2006, 11:22 PM
OK, so if I buy a song from yahoo, try to put it into itunes and it won't transfer to my ipod?

Likely not. And even if you did get it to transfer over. It wouldn't play.

soonerhubs
5/16/2006, 12:45 AM
I think Wal-Mart's music is the cheapest at 88 cents but they're selection is atrocious. I-tunes and Sonic Stage are my two faves and they are 99 cents per song.

yermom
5/16/2006, 08:47 AM
Here's a tip:

If you don't want to share, (i.e. do the stuff that the RIAA sues people for) you can tell LimeWire to share, say just one folder. Put this folder somewhere harmless, then create a .txt file in it. Copy that txt file say, a couple hundred times, then you will not be viewed on the network as a "freeloader". LimeWire disallows sharing to freeloaders by default, so once you are sharing your couple hundred .txt files (that you created yourself, so there's no copyright problems) you will have access to every other sucker's library without restriction.

Not that I know anything about this stuff or anything...

heh, nice

i haven't really had a lot of problems with just being a leech though

OUinFLA
5/16/2006, 08:52 AM
I checked out Napster and it has a statement that confuses me.
It says you can download tunes and play them on your computer as long as you are a Napster subscriber? Does this mean that once I cancel my subscription, I can't play them anymore?
Wouldnt I be able to burn them to a CD after I download them?
Plus the $10 per month is not advantageous, but it seems easier to naviagate than Itunes.

Re: Itunes. I also went to that site and downloaded their program. All their indications are that you can download to Ipod, which I dont have, and dont want. I only want to download tunes that I can burn on a CD to play elsewhere.

hubler: tell me more about Sonic Stage?

LSUdeek
5/16/2006, 10:12 AM
It says you can download tunes and play them on your computer as long as you are a Napster subscriber? Does this mean that once I cancel my subscription, I can't play them anymore?
Plus the $10 per month is not advantageous, but it seems easier to naviagate than Itunes.

Re: Itunes. I also went to that site and downloaded their program. All their indications are that you can download to Ipod, which I dont have, and dont want. I only want to download tunes that I can burn on a CD to play elsewhere.

You can use iTunes to do what you want. It lets you burn to an audio CD.

BigRedJed
5/16/2006, 10:56 AM

I used iTunes long before I had an iPod. It's perfect for what you want.

On the other hand, you never really "own" the music from Napster and some others you really just "rent" it. Do away with your subscription on some, and you lose access to your music, too.

iTunes is like a real store in that you own the music. It is rights protected, but you can share it with a number of different computers, unlimited iPods, and can burn disks in CD format that are not rights protected, and play in any CD player.

TopDaugIn2000
5/16/2006, 10:58 AM
I'm willing to share mine if you will share yours........

yermom
5/16/2006, 11:17 AM
I'm willing to show mine if you will show me yours........

um, i think you posted in the wrong window again

TopDaugIn2000
5/16/2006, 11:18 AM
um, i think you posted in the wrong window again

I seriously almost put that, but I figured no one would understand I meant MUSIC library.

OUinFLA
5/16/2006, 11:39 AM
I'm willing to share mine if you will share yours........

be gentle with me.........
Im old..........but experienced.

scotplum
5/16/2006, 11:56 AM
Shameless Plug Warning

I thoroughly enjoy OurTracks (http://www.ourtracks.com) for all of my downloading needs. :D

Of course, we work on attracting the OK/TX/MO local bands, so if you are looking for more mainstream artists then we wouldn't be a huge help currently.

49r
5/16/2006, 12:59 PM
heh, nice

i haven't really had a lot of problems with just being a leech though

I'm usually going for obscure crap, so I need as many sources as I can get.

My text files (all 300 of them) all have one word on them. They all say "****".

But, I'm thinking of changing them to say "**** off, dip ****"...