PDA

View Full Version : Galloway.....

Stanley1
5/14/2006, 09:18 PM
All of you that were tooting his horn earlier this year need to admit it was a little premature. While I admit to being pleasantly surprised with OU's start this year, we sure have fallen off lately.

SeattleOUstudent
5/15/2006, 12:42 AM
Yikes! So we lose one game to KSU, go on to win the series....get swept by our rival and now its time to start questioning the coaching hire? Weak sauce, stanley.

As of right now, we still carry a top 10 ranking, and I dont think its because everyone was jumping on the Golloway-wagon. I think it has more to do with the fact that we are a solid baseball team. Our bats were silent this weekend. All we have to do is get back to where we were a week ago, and we will be fine. There is a reason we play 60+ games per year.

Sunny explains it like this:“Their pitcher did a good job against our hitters,” Golloway said. “He kept us off balance. One thing about this game, you’ve got to give credit where credit is due.

“They did a good job pitching. Good pitching is going to get good hitting out.”

Excuses? No. The batting will come back. DOnt start piling it on the coach now. Its too early.

Stanley1
5/15/2006, 01:15 AM
Seattle, I also say it is too early to praise his coaching as well. Lets see how this season finishes up, how he recruits, and how next season goes. I'm not just now being critical of Sunny, I have been since the begining. I think OU will be pretty average under him. Hope I'm wrong, but I don't think I will be.

SleestakSooner
5/15/2006, 02:28 AM
Wow Stan... that post was so Nick Zepplinesque. You really hope you're wrong or are ya upset they replaced Cochell with a minority hire? SO we lost to a red hot OSU team... big deal! Getting swept by your rival does suck but you are WAY outta line with this suspicion of the leader of our Sooners. Golloway has done nothing but lead them to a way above average season and you should feel lucky to hold his jock strap you imbecile!

Sooner24
5/15/2006, 06:30 AM
Stan's just trying to rattle some cages. If he knew what he was talking about it might be a different story.

C&CDean
5/15/2006, 09:11 AM
Stan's just trying to rattle some cages. If he knew what he was talking about it might be a different story.

Truer words have never been spoken on this bbs. Ever.

OSU throws two dominating pitching performances at us - and suddenly Sunny sucks. No wait, I knew he sucked all along. Bite me Stan.

Stanley1
5/15/2006, 09:16 AM
Wow Stan... that post was so Nick Zepplinesque. You really hope you're wrong or are ya upset they replaced Cochell with a minority hire? SO we lost to a red hot OSU team... big deal! Getting swept by your rival does suck but you are WAY outta line with this suspicion of the leader of our Sooners. Golloway has done nothing but lead them to a way above average season and you should feel lucky to hold his jock strap you imbecile!

It isn't the wins and losses, the team hasn't played well since beating New Mexico. In case you are wondering, that is 3 weeks ago.

All I'm saying is, all of you people that were spouting off about how great Sunny was (based on our start to the season), better be willing to come back with how average a season we had if it doesn't turn around. This team went from a top 10 team, with potentially great things in the postseason, to a team that doesn't even look like it belongs in the postseason. And that type of play has been going on for 3 weeks now.

Sunny had it relatively easy this year. Experienced ball team, and all that. NEXT year will be the true indicator, or the year after, as to what kind of coach he'll be.

And like I said, I haven't been a big fan of this hire since day 1, so this isn't me "jumping off the bandwagon". And I should biotch slap you for suggesting this has anything to do with race. Moronic.:rolleyes:

Stanley1
5/15/2006, 09:18 AM
Truer words have never been spoken on this bbs. Ever.

OSU throws two dominating pitching performances at us - and suddenly Sunny sucks. No wait, I knew he sucked all along. Bite me Stan.

You bite me Dean. I said I was against this hire from day 1. Sunny did NOTHING to prove he was worthy of the head spot, hence the reason Joe C. looked elsewhere initially.

You say osu's pitching was great, I say OU is a team on the decline. And senior-laden teams shouldn't play like *** against the likes of WSU, KU, KSU, and osu. None of those teams are worth a crap.

Stanley1
5/15/2006, 09:19 AM

Sorry, I forgot what kind of baseball stud you are. :rolleyes:

C&CDean
5/15/2006, 09:21 AM
How cute. Now Stan's all in a tizzy.

soonerjoker
5/15/2006, 09:26 AM
remember, sonny was not (near) the first choice.

Sooner in Tampa
5/15/2006, 09:33 AM
How cute. Now Stan's all in a tizzy.Stan has been on the edge lately...he used to be soooo funny. What happened??? You would think that he would be in a really good mood...I mean tax time is over and all.:D

Stanley1
5/15/2006, 09:36 AM
For the record, I'm not saying that Sonny sucks, and obviously I hope he succeeds (b/c I want OU baseball to succeed). I'm just saying that all the premature "See, I told you Sonny would be good" crap was a little too soon. This is a senior-laden team that was handed to him. Lets see if he actually increases the talent on the team through recruiting, and can get us back to being competitive year in and year out. That is all I was saying.

C&CDean
5/15/2006, 09:43 AM
Dammit Stan. It's SUNNY GOLLOWAY. You're gonna give him a Calvin Simpson complex.

I ain't disagreeing with you (about waiting a while to check this team out), but I'm assuming you've played ball before. And with a 60+ game season, you have slumps. The best teams do it. Maybe the little ****in' contest at the end of Sunday's game will be what it takes to slap the Sooners upside the head and break them out of the funk. But saying Sunny sucks is pretty much like the people saying Sunny rocks. Nobody knows yet.

Stanley1
5/15/2006, 10:03 AM
Dammit Stan. It's SUNNY GOLLOWAY. You're gonna give him a Calvin Simpson complex.

I ain't disagreeing with you (about waiting a while to check this team out), but I'm assuming you've played ball before. And with a 60+ game season, you have slumps. The best teams do it. Maybe the little ****in' contest at the end of Sunday's game will be what it takes to slap the Sooners upside the head and break them out of the funk. But saying Sunny sucks is pretty much like the people saying Sunny rocks. Nobody knows yet.

I never said he sucked.

leftfield
5/15/2006, 10:08 AM

what happened?

C&CDean
5/15/2006, 10:10 AM
what happened?

Some aggot popped off and almost got his *** beat. Sunny threatened to beat the other coach's *** if he didn't get the hell out of there.

You know, the usual.

leftfield
5/15/2006, 10:15 AM
Some aggot popped off and almost got his *** beat. Sunny threatened to beat the other coach's *** if he didn't get the hell out of there.

You know, the usual.

oh, thanks...the aggots have a tendency to do this, I remember a pretty big brawl they had with A&M when an aggot spit on homeplate and basically stomped on it.

I used to think basebrawls were kinda cool, till a couple of weeks ago. Pretty scary stuff to be in the middle of, gotta keep your head on a swivel.

David Earl
5/15/2006, 12:39 PM
You bite me Dean.

Dude, you talkin' to a moderator this way don't sit well with this moderator. I'm letting this be because I assume you are joking with Dean. If you are serious, you need to cool it.

David Earl
5/15/2006, 12:41 PM
Wow Stan... you imbecile!

Cool it with the name calling.

Sooner24
5/15/2006, 12:44 PM
Sorry, I forgot what kind of baseball stud you are.

And don't you forget it! :D

Collier11
5/15/2006, 03:43 PM
Im pretty sure we played one of the tougher schedules in the nation and came away witha damn good record, we can still get 2nd place in the conference, and he has put together a pretty good recruiting class which includes the no. 1 outfielder in the nation...So I dont think one three game losing streak is even worth questioning, As I recall OU wasnt even ranked preseason and we are in the TOp 10 now with wins over no. 1 rice and and several ranked teams. Come on Stan get with it

Taxman71
5/15/2006, 04:43 PM
Agreed, the only possible complaint about this season is losing to the pukes and whining about their mascot. Everything else in 2006 has been much much better than expected.

runner1182
5/15/2006, 04:50 PM
come on now! we lost to a hated rival! that sucks! but we still can heal the pain alittle by beating up some cornhuskers! so we had a bad game three days in a row it happens! rarely but it happens to good teams.

Stanley1
5/15/2006, 04:54 PM
Guys, my opinion has little to do with losing 3 to osu. And it is more than a 3 game losing streak, it is TWO 3 game losing streaks with two wins (one pretty lucky) against a bad KSU team sandwiched in between.

Like I said, we'll see what kind of coach he is in the coming years. I'm just pointing out all the "Golloway is great" talk is WAY too soon. WAY, too soon.

Stanley1
5/15/2006, 04:58 PM
and he has put together a pretty good recruiting class which includes the no. 1 outfielder in the nation

Link?

Collier11
5/15/2006, 05:30 PM
I think a legit complaint could be with the pitching staff...we hired corale who is supposed to be one of the best pitching coaches in the country and besides McCutcheon and guerra, our staff has been bad, just look at the ERA's

Stanley, im looking for the recruiting link, I cant remember where I saw it but ill post it when I find it

Collier11
5/15/2006, 05:33 PM
NORMAN, Okla. -- Oklahoma baseball head coach Sunny Golloway announced the signing of 11 baseball players for the 2007 season to national letters of intent on Tuesday. The class, Golloway’s first as the head coach at OU, features seven athletes that come from the high school ranks and four others from the junior college level.

The Sooners once again brought in talented prospects from the state of Oklahoma with four of the area’s top recruits. Golloway also signed two student-athletes from California, two from Arizona and one player each from Texas, Illinois and British Columbia.

In the two previous seasons, OU’s recruiting classes, under then-associate coach Sunny Golloway, were ranked among the top 10 in the nation and this year’s class appears to be headed in the same direction.

“We are extremely pleased and excited about the potential of the 2007 class,” said Golloway. “We feel we have filled the immediate needs for next year’s team along with adding depth to key positions. This incoming class ranks right up there, if not higher, with the previous two groups and that bodes well for the future of our program.

“I would also like to recognize the outstanding efforts of our recruiting coordinator, Tim Tadlock, and assistant coach Fred Corral for signing such a talented incoming class. Many hours of work go into each signing in order to assure that we have landed the best student-athletes to represent the University of Oklahoma and the future of the Sooner baseball program.”

A bulk of the class features six pitchers and they are right-handers Andrew Doyle (Rock Island, Ill./Alleman HS), Chad Lee (Oklahoma City/Barton County Community College), Garrett Richards (Edmond, Okla./Edmond Memorial HS) and Tyson Seng (Enid, Okla./Enid HS) and left-handers Tanner Chitwood (Sulphur, Okla./Sulphur HS) and Brandon Thomson (Gilbert, Ariz./Chandler Gilbert Community College).

Seng, who is also a talented defender, will be joined in the infield by three players including Bryant Hernandez (Oxnard, Calif./St. Bonaventure HS), Mike Gosse (British Columbia/New Mexico Junior College) and Vincent Biancamano (Glendale, Ariz./Chandler Gilbert Community College/Arizona State).

Aaron Baker (Denton, Texas/Denton HS) is the only catcher on the list and Devin Shepherd (Agoura Hills, Calif./Oxnard HS) concludes the 2007 class as the lone outfielder.

Five of the Sooners’ signees (Baker, Chitwood, Doyle, Seng and Shepherd) have appeared in the Baseball America/Perfect Game USA Prospects Plus National Top 300 in the past two years.

Shepherd, ranked No. 16 on this year’s list by Baseball America/Perfect Game, garnered the most valuable honors at the Third Annual Aflac All-American High School Baseball Classic in August. The California native (6-4, 230) is the second highest ranked player at his position on Baseball America’s list.

Seng also appears on this year’s list at No. 212. The Enid, Okla., native is a multi-sport star that had potential not only to play baseball in the college ranks but also in the sport of basketball. Seng batted .407 last season and held down a 0.64 ERA and was the second-leading scorer in Class 6A basketball in the state.

“There is no doubt that this is a very talented group of athletes,” added Golloway. “The coaching staff knows that the 2007 class has the potential to lose multiple players to the draft (MLB) in June, but when you go after players that professional teams also seek, that provides your program with the talent necessary to achieve the goal of winning championships.”

The Sooners went 35-26 in 2005 and made the program’s second consecutive NCAA regional appearance, a first since the 1997-98 seasons, after putting together a successful run at the end of the regular season with a 10-2 mark.

The following is a brief rundown (in alphabetical order) of the Sooners’ incoming class.

AARON BAKER
C - 6-3 - 220 - L/R
Denton, Texas (Denton HS)

• Very physical athlete, tremendous power from the left side of the plate
• Plays for Marty Green at Denton High School
• Area Code Games participant in 2005
• 2005 stats: .474 batting average, 4 HR, 31 RBI
• Class 5-4A Offensive Player of the Year
• Chose OU over Arkansas and TCU
• Son of Austin and Sherri Baker

VINCENT BIANCAMANO
IF - 6-0 - 190 - R/R
Glendale, Ariz. (Chandler Gilbert Community College - Arizona State University - Cactus HS)

• Fits the mold of a very offensive middle infielder
• Will play for Doyle Wilson at Chandler Gilbert CC in spring of 2006
• Selected in the 2004 MLB Amateur Draft by the Kansas City Royals in the 35th round
• Played in 27 games and started 11 contests during his freshman year at Arizona State
• Earned honorable mention All-State his senior season (.485, 3 HR, 13 RBI)
• Chose OU over Clemson and Oral Roberts
• Son of Vinny Sr. and Donna Biancamano

TANNER CHITWOOD
LHP - 6-3 - 220 - L/L
Sulphur, Okla. (Sulphur HS)

• Tall, physical power with a left-handed arm
• Coached by Jerry Sanford at Sulphur HS
• Led team to state championship in 2004 and runner-up finish in 2005
• 2005 stats: led state with 113 strikeouts and went 8-2
• Played in the summer for Burkburnett Black Sox coached by Don Patty
• Chose OU over Oklahoma State and Missouri
• Son of Fred and Pam Chitwood

ANDREW DOYLE
RHP - 6-3 - 205 - R/R
Rock Island, Ill. (Alleman High School)

• Very athletic, physical, potential weekend starter
• Plays for Chris Lemon at Alleman HS; also the starting quarterback for the football team
• Led baseball team to regional championship in 2005
• 2005 stats: Made 17 appearances (12 starts), struck out 79 over 62 innings pitched
• Area Code Games participant in 2005
• Chose OU over Notre Dame, Illinois, Georgia Tech and Tennessee
• Son of Peter and Laurie Doyle

MIKE GOSSE
IF - 5-9 - 170 - L/R
Pitt Meadows, B.C. Canada (New Mexico Junior College)

• Outstanding hitter that will bat for high average
• Plays for Ray Birmingham at New Mexico JC
• Led team to junior college national championship in 2005
• 2005 stats: .468 batting average, 7 HR, 78 RBI, 24 2B, 6 3B
• Honored as an all-region infielder last season
• OU was first choice
• Son of Mike and Susan Gosse

BRYANT HERNANDEZ
IF - 5-9 - 161 - R/R
Oxnard, Calif. (St. Bonaventure HS)

• Outstanding defensive infielder, hits for average
• Coached by Raul Camacho at St. Bonaventure HS
• Area Code Games Participant in 2005
• 2005 stats: .410 batting average, 28 runs, 16 stolen bases
• Chose OU over Cal State Fullerton, USC, UCLA, LSU, Georgia Tech and Texas A&M
• Son of Albert and Cecilia Hernandez

CHAD LEE
RHP - 6-3 - 190 - R/R
Oklahoma City (Barton County Community College - Putnam City HS)

• Made great strides in last year with velocity, has developed into a power pitcher
• Coached by Mike Warren at BCCC in Kansas
• Played for Steve Wisely at Putnam City North
• 2005 stats: 11 appearances - six starts, 2-2 record, 29 strikeouts in 29.1 innings pitched
• Chose OU over Oklahoma State and Missouri
• Son of Preston and Cathy Lee

GARRETT RICHARDS
RHP - 6-3 - 185 - R/R
Edmond, Okla. (Edmond Memorial)

• Great control pitcher with high ceiling
• Coached by Kyle Roberts at Edmond Memorial HS
• 2005 All-Edmond Second Team
• 2005 stats: 2.97 ERA, 8-5 record, 106 strikeouts, 27 walks
• Chose OU over Wichita State
• Son of Tommy and Terri Richards

TYSON SENG
IF/RHP - 6-0 - 165 - R/R
Enid, Okla. (Enid HS)

• Exceptional all-around athlete, will compete for multiple starting positions
• Plays for Scott Baugh at Enid HS, also stars on the basketball team
• Led Enid Legion Team to first ever World Series Championship in 2005, coached by Bill Mayberry
• 2005 high school stats: .407 batting average, 22 stolen bases, 0.64 ERA and 40 strikeouts in 43 innings pitched
• 2005 summer stats: .325 batting average, 10-1 record with 2.48 ERA
• Chose OU over Oklahoma State and Wichita State
• Son of Tom and Julie Seng

DEVIN SHEPHERD
OF - 6-4 - 230 - R/R
Agoura Hills, Calif. (Oxnard HS)

• Possibly best high school outfielder in the country, five-tool player
• Coached by Alfred Tarazon at Oxnard HS
• 2005 Aflac All-American Game MVP
• 2005 stats: .444 batting average, eight doubles, four HR, 18 RBI
• Invited to try out for USA National Team in 2004, competed in USA Baseball Junior Olympics
• Chose OU over UCLA, USC, LSU, Georgia Tech and Miami
• Son of Stephanie Hall

BRANDON THOMSON
LHP - 5-11 - 190 - L/L
Gilbert, Ariz. (Chandler Gilbert Community College - Gilbert HS)

• Left-handed arm with power, will likely be drafted high in June
• Plays for Doyle Wilson at Chandler Gilbert Community College
• Selected in the 2004 MLB Amateur Draft by the San Diego Padres in the 15th round
• 2005 stats: 8-1 record, 2.20 ERA
• Member of the 2004 Connie Mack World Series All-Tournament Team
• Chose OU over Clemson, Arizona and Arizona State
• Son of Lynn and Peggy Thomson

birddog
5/15/2006, 06:01 PM
so, what the hell is it an "o" or an "a"?

Sooner24
5/15/2006, 06:05 PM
It's a "u".

Big Red Ron
5/15/2006, 06:12 PM
Stan, I'm sorry but Sonny has proven he is a quality HC. I remember his teams beating Cochell's Sooners on a fairly regular basis.

Do you think Cochell would have gotten this team in a better position than Sonny?

Stanley1
5/15/2006, 06:43 PM
Do you think Cochell would have gotten this team in a better position than Sonny?

No, I think he had ran his course at OU too. I was ready for a change, but thought it needed to come from outside the program.

I wasn't aware that he signed such a highly regarded class. Like I said, I'm not saying he isn't going to be a good coach, I don't know. I'm just sick of all the talk that makes it sound like he can do no wrong, and has proven anything yet. I just don't see it that way. I'll reserve my judgement for at least another year. If he is bringing in that kind of talent, no excuses not to win at a high level.

SeattleOUstudent
5/15/2006, 07:25 PM
It isn't the wins and losses, the team hasn't played well since beating New Mexico. In case you are wondering, that is 3 weeks ago.

All I'm saying is, all of you people that were spouting off about how great Sunny was (based on our start to the season), better be willing to come back with how average a season we had if it doesn't turn around. This team went from a top 10 team, with potentially great things in the postseason, to a team that doesn't even look like it belongs in the postseason. And that type of play has been going on for 3 weeks now.

Sunny had it relatively easy this year. Experienced ball team, and all that. NEXT year will be the true indicator, or the year after, as to what kind of coach he'll be.

And like I said, I haven't been a big fan of this hire since day 1, so this isn't me "jumping off the bandwagon". And I should biotch slap you for suggesting this has anything to do with race. Moronic.:rolleyes:

Okay Stan. I think I get it. You made a tongue-in-cheek post (yes, kinda Nick-esque) and we jumped on you for it. I guess the lesson learned here is LET NICK MAKE THE STUPID TONGUE-N-CHEEK POSTS.:)

Now, about the above post....You are referring to the 3 week skid by OU. In that 3 week period, OU is 5-6. This includes the 0-3 outting this last weekend with OSU. In that same 3 weeks, we have won 2 Big 12 series-inlcuding one run-rule game. I think we all feel the skid. This is a different team than the one that peaked with 13 wins in a row. This is a team that in a valley. In contrast, Nebraska in the same 3 week period is also...shocker...5-6. Do they suck? No. SHould they get rid of their coach? No. Hopefully the setback this weekend will right the ship.

Looking ahead....big series @ Nebraska. It would be nice to get 2/3 out of them. We do that, OSU loses a game, we get the #2 spot. As stated before by several people, this is why we play 60+ games. Nebraska is ranked around #10 in most polls. We are around #15 in most.

goingoneight
5/15/2006, 09:00 PM
I'm sorry, but when did losing three measley games to the cow-pokers in a 60 game season mean anything? Since when did OSU mean anything period? Do you remember the skid of a start they had this season? I do believe that OU has beaten more quality talent than loSur has, so one-twentieth of OUr season flushed means nothing. Please, this isn't really a rivalry, is it?

sportsproducer
5/15/2006, 09:55 PM
If he is bringing in that kind of talent, no excuses not to win at a high level.

So far it when looking at he bigger picture Sunny's team has not needed an excuse not to win at a high level. Why, you ask? Becasue they have won at a high level.
They made it to the regional finals last year when before he took the team over they were all but assured dead.

So far in 2006 The Sooners have won games vs.
-A 36 win Notre Dame team who had at one point a 21 game win streak.
-Two wins over a 37 win TCU team.
-Taking the series against a 33 win Baylor team who just swept Nebaraska.
-A win over a 32 win Arizona State team at Tempe. WOul dhave won two had that darn rain not come in and flooded the field because someone (wink, wink) did not realise that he biggest storm in a year was getting ready to come through Pheonix over night.
-Also this Sooner team is the first to sweep Texas Tech in Lubbock in 5 years.
-Also the Sooners where the only Big 12 team to take a series in Lawrence.

I would say with the youngsters they have coming in next fall Sunny has more than proven that he will be a force in the Big 12.

Stanley1
5/15/2006, 10:32 PM
I would say with the youngsters they have coming in next fall Sunny has more than proven that he will be a force in the Big 12.

Actually, don't we lose a TON of starters? If so, next year will be a rebuilding year in my opinion.

We lose our top 3 SP's, and our closer.

We lose Caufield, Raley, Rodriguez, Rohlinger, and Smith. That is leadoff, cleanup, and 5-hole off a team that doesn't have much power.

Gotta think we're starting over next year.

SeattleOUstudent
5/15/2006, 11:26 PM
I'm sorry, but when did losing three measley games to the cow-pokers in a 60 game season mean anything? Since when did OSU mean anything period? Do you remember the skid of a start they had this season? I do believe that OU has beaten more quality talent than loSur has, so one-twentieth of OUr season flushed means nothing. Please, this isn't really a rivalry, is it?

Gah, take off the crimson glasses! OSU is our freaking rival. Maybe not as much in football, maybe not so much in table tennis....but after what they did to us this past weekend, they at least deserve some respect for kicking our tails.

Ill agree...OSU hasnt played much in the way quality opponents this year, but they beat our quality asses this past weekend, didnt they?

SeattleOUstudent
5/15/2006, 11:28 PM
Actually, don't we lose a TON of starters? If so, next year will be a rebuilding year in my opinion.

We lose our top 3 SP's, and our closer.

We lose Caufield, Raley, Rodriguez, Rohlinger, and Smith. That is leadoff, cleanup, and 5-hole off a team that doesn't have much power.

Gotta think we're starting over next year.

Yes, we will be starting over. Itll be a tough road for Golloway. Like you, I hope he can step up and produce when he doesnt have this tallent.

SleestakSooner
5/16/2006, 08:45 PM
All I am saying is going back to last season when he became interim head coach, minus the last two weeks, tell me how these kids have responded to Golloway?

Collier11
5/16/2006, 09:00 PM
All I am saying is going back to last season when he became interim head coach, minus the last two weeks, tell me how these kids have responded to Golloway?

I believe something like 49-22...not too shabby I would say

SleestakSooner
6/6/2006, 06:28 AM
All of you that were tooting his horn earlier this year need to admit it was a little premature. While I admit to being pleasantly surprised with OU's start this year, we sure have fallen off lately.

Hmmmm... don't see you spouting off now do I champ?:rolleyes:
We have fallen off into a Super Regional match up with a team we schooled last time out. I like Sunny's chances of making you eat more crow. I will relish the day you admit you were wrong. Spek me all you like, it won't make you any more correct.

XingTheRubicon
6/6/2006, 09:42 AM
heh

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
6/6/2006, 10:51 AM
Maybe Sunny has gotten over the embarrassment of not being first choice as head coach at OU. Ya think?

C&CDean
6/6/2006, 12:26 PM
Quite possibly the gutsiest coaching call he made all year was to leave McCutcheon in after he gave up the homerun in the bottom of the 9th. When he went out there I'm going "he's gonna pull him." When he left him in I went "if we win, he's a good coach - but if we lose, everybody will be second-guessing him." We won. Sometimes the difference between being a good coach and being a bum is that small.

Collier11
6/6/2006, 12:28 PM
Maybe Sunny has gotten over the embarrassment of not being first choice as head coach at OU. Ya think?

I get the feeling you are saying that in a tounge-in-cheek manor, but even so I say that I dont think Sonny was ever embarrassed, I think he is just proud to be OU's coach. He leaves the embarrassed part to Uncle Gene

King Crimson
6/6/2006, 01:15 PM
Quite possibly the gutsiest coaching call he made all year was to leave McCutcheon in after he gave up the homerun in the bottom of the 9th. When he went out there I'm going "he's gonna pull him." When he left him in I went "if we win, he's a good coach - but if we lose, everybody will be second-guessing him." We won. Sometimes the difference between being a good coach and being a bum is that small.

that's a good point....especially, after TCU knocked McCutchen around in the 9th in the Friday game.

NormanPride
6/6/2006, 01:20 PM
What was the quote in the paper? He "that monkey off his back and flung it into the stands"? I thought that was funny. :D

1stTimeCaller
6/6/2006, 01:29 PM
I still don't like the guy. His character is meh at best.

Congratulations, let's keep winning guys!!

Collier11
6/6/2006, 01:31 PM
you people keep going after golloways character but all ive ever heard is a bunch of heresay on this board. NO one has ever given us facts as to what makes him shady, all I know is that he is a hell of a coach and his players love him

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
6/6/2006, 02:39 PM
I get the feeling you are saying that in a tounge-in-cheek manor, but even so I say that I dont think Sonny was ever embarrassed, I think he is just proud to be OU's coach. He leaves the embarrassed part to Uncle GeneI imagine he would have preferred to be first choice, but I don't really have any idea how he felt about not being. I was being tongue-in-cheek.

TopDawg
6/6/2006, 03:08 PM

yep

SleestakSooner
6/6/2006, 03:18 PM
Yeah Dean I was thinking the exact same thing as Rollinger made that grab and tossed the ball ever-so-slowly to second base! One funny hop away from bringing the boo-birds back out... but now it's crow pie for em ;)

longtimesooner
6/7/2006, 09:29 AM
I'm personally proud of the way our team has responded to Golloways coaching and he was my first choice all the way last year. He seems to have put the enthusiasm back into a club that needed it badly. I haven't necessarily agreed with every single decision he has made in games but big deal. Hind site is 20/20 and overall I am very pleased with the job he has done. It's been since '95 that I was this excited about OU baseball and I think we owe that to him and the way he relates to his players. GO SOONERS CWS baby.

oumartin
6/7/2006, 12:21 PM
oh, there are direct stories out there about some shady things he might have done in the past.. I'm all for letting the guy prove himself and he seems to have done one hell of a job this year!
Congratulations are in order!