PDA

View Full Version : Tennis anyone?

royalfan5
5/14/2006, 07:21 PM
I am picking up a tennis racket for the first time in 4 years. Should be interesting, as I wasn't very good before I took a break and I will be playing against a guy that competed at the collegiate level. I just hope not to injure myself.

King Crimson
5/14/2006, 07:26 PM
tennis is a good game. i had some friends who solid class 5A high school players and i took many a beating at their hands in hs.

good luck!

sooneron
5/14/2006, 08:50 PM
Frank Barry rules!

King Crimson
5/14/2006, 08:52 PM
Frank Barry rules!

ha! LOL. i didn't have him, but he taught science at Whittier. my uncle was one the better players in the state for a while and he and Frank used to play quite a bit.

Tailwind
5/14/2006, 08:57 PM
Picking up the raquet is the easy part. Not hurling it at your opponent when you screw up....now that's a different story. :D

sooneron
5/14/2006, 08:57 PM
He was coach when I was on the team, so to speak. I pretty much treated the time on the courts as talk to the hotties time. Lisa Grubb, for one...

royalfan5
5/14/2006, 08:58 PM
I just went and dug out my racket. It's my dad's 70's era wooden one. If I start playing alot I may have to get a new one.

King Crimson
5/14/2006, 09:08 PM
He was coach when I was on the team, so to speak. I pretty much treated the time on the courts as talk to the hotties time. Lisa Grubb, for one...

that's good work. are you saying you weren't laying the lumber to Mark Fentriss? plus you were done with class way early. when i was on the golf team, i was out at like 1:30 in the spring semester or whatever it was called in HS.....even at West....

sooneron
5/14/2006, 09:19 PM
that's good work. are you saying you weren't laying the lumber to Mark Fentriss? plus you were done with class way early. when i was on the golf team, i was out at like 1:30 in the spring semester or whatever it was called in HS.....even at West....
No comment on Fentriss. His wife is hawt, tho.
Being out early in the spring ruled!
Plus, when I was a freshman, we were relelgated to Whittier courts- NO SUPERVISION. I was riding a teammate's Yamaha Enduro 175 on the berm over there!

King Crimson
5/14/2006, 09:33 PM
that whole backside of Whittier was like the dark side of the moon. you could do anything back there. between the school and those apartments where you'd hear foghat blaring and we'd walk through there sometimes at lunch to go to schlotsky's or this defunct place that ruled: PS coney island....and there would be skanks in bikini tops sitting in lawn chairs "sunbathing" smoking kool menthols and people throwing empty beer cans at you. just great.

they closed the whittier campus at lunch after my year.

sanantoniosooner
5/14/2006, 09:41 PM
At least you dont have to worry about tennis players shaving their sak on your couch.

They prefer fuzzy balls.

sooneron
5/14/2006, 09:45 PM
that whole backside of Whittier was like the dark side of the moon. you could do anything back there. between the school and those apartments where you'd hear foghat blaring and we'd walk through there sometimes at lunch to go to schlotsky's or this defunct place that ruled: PS coney island....and there would be skanks in bikini tops sitting in lawn chairs "sunbathing" smoking kool menthols and people throwing empty beer cans at you. just great.

they closed the whittier campus at lunch after my year.
There always was the sweet hole in the fence over there. My Moms would never spring for the full time off campus pass. I had to do the note thing or sneak when she wasn't feeling charitable. I think I got caught a few times. That old dude has his days over there. I think I still have a pic of him from the last day of 8th grade.

King Crimson
5/14/2006, 09:59 PM
There always was the sweet hole in the fence over there. My Moms would never spring for the full time off campus pass. I had to do the note thing or sneak when she wasn't feeling charitable. I think I got caught a few times. That old dude has his days over there. I think I still have a pic of him from the last day of 8th grade.

hole in the fence: exactly. that old guy....standing out there on the McGee corner of the whittier acerage...checking passes. oh man. i had the full pass in 8th grade and did note in 7th, like twice a week or something Mom's would sign on for it. 10$ a week for lunch in 8th grade. which was alright, but if you wanted to go out with some girls you had to go to boomerang and that was like 3 fitty for the basic burger basket so one day you were hurting. a couple bean burritos at taco bell was like 1.50.

i can't believe tha 7-11 on mcgee went under and now it's new life center.....when a 7-11 goes under it's like finding a dead cockroach....you kinda wonder what killed it.

AllAboutThe'O'
5/14/2006, 10:03 PM
I grew up across the street from a tennis court and would go there every once in a while. Pretty fun sport if you ask me. Sometimes, I would assume the role of Tom Hanks' character in "Bachelor Party" and just hit the ball over the big fence just for kicks.

But it's been a while since I picked up a racket and the tennis court across from my old house has now been razed because they're building a new high school on that property.

sooneron
5/14/2006, 10:41 PM
hole in the fence: exactly. that old guy....standing out there on the McGee corner of the whittier acerage...checking passes. oh man. i had the full pass in 8th grade and did note in 7th, like twice a week or something Mom's would sign on for it. 10$ a week for lunch in 8th grade. which was alright, but if you wanted to go out with some girls you had to go to boomerang and that was like 3 fitty for the basic burger basket so one day you were hurting. a couple bean burritos at taco bell was like 1.50.

i can't believe tha 7-11 on mcgee went under and now it's new life center.....when a 7-11 goes under it's like finding a dead cockroach....you kinda wonder what killed it.
Mmm, the old boomerang - theta burger! I think I usually had the one with hickory sauce on it!
I remember hearing the 7-11 got busted for selling to underage kids or something. I stole a bag of ice from there in 87. Not proud, but, it was a bag of ice. I guess we had spent all our money on beer.
Speaking of old school tennis days, I'm thinking of single handedly bringing these bad boys back-
http://www.shoes.com/product.asp?p=5012282%7EMens%7CAthletic%7ETRETN&sc=MENS&variant_id=27892

King Crimson
5/14/2006, 10:58 PM
i saw a wicked girl fight at that 7-11, some chicks pulling out another girl's teeth with pliers. no joke. the onion rings at THAT boomerang has spoiled me forever. the gas station on Main and Chatauqua would sell beer to a 8 year old (inna day). Many quarts of Black Label....

i was always a Stan Smith's guy.

sooneron
5/14/2006, 11:01 PM
I saw quite a few good fights at 7 11.
I jumped around a lot in tennis shoes.
NB, Bata (yes, Bata!), K Swiss, Tretorn, Fred Perry (back in vogue ala the DJ scene), and 1 pair of Stans.

King Crimson
5/14/2006, 11:07 PM
did you ever play missle command or defender at that 7-11?

i think that place was the first to have them both, outside Odyssey in Stubbeman village.