PDA

View Full Version : Inside scoop on the OK quarter

Okla-homey
5/14/2006, 06:53 PM
In case anyone cares...

Saturday morning before heading down to MusKogee for the Ren-Fair at The Castle, I dropped by "Tulsa Coin" on South Sheridan to look for some historic Oklahoma paper. See, I just got this righteous large-format 1895 map of the I.T./O.T. and I want to mat it with some items from the period (old cancelled checks from extinct banks in extinct Indian & Oklahoma territorial towns, envelopes with cool territorial postmarks, land deeds, warrants, and such.)

Anyhoo, I scored some sweet items for said shadowbox while there. The guy who runs the place is very nice. I just kinda off-the-cuff mentioned -- since he is a coin and stamp dealer after all, "I'm looking forward to the Sooner Quarter." I then stated "I wish what it will look like weren't such a big secret."

At that, three or four other regular customers started snickering and stuff and the owner got this silly grin on his face. He whipped out a recent 8x10 photo of him and about ten others with our "Boy Governor." :eek: Turns out he was on the committee that chose the design which was recommended to the US Mint for OUr quarter. :D

Anyhoo, sez I, "If I were in charge, it would feature Will Rogers, a land run scene with boomers runnin' hell for leather, and a scissortail."

He winks at me and says, "great minds think alike!"

That's all I got, but don't be surprised if that's what she looks like.

That is all.

SoonerBorn68
5/14/2006, 06:59 PM
sweet. I'll bet the aggots are gonna be mad there will be no sheep molestation.

royalfan5
5/14/2006, 07:01 PM
Just don't go with a phallic symbol like Nebraska. Plus we combined it of images of people leaving the state.

Okla-homey
5/14/2006, 07:04 PM
Just don't go with a phallic symbol like Nebraska. Plus we combined it of images of people leaving the state.

No phallii. OUrs is gonna have folks fightin' each other to get IN the state.:D

Big Red Ron
5/14/2006, 07:14 PM
I'd like to see "The Sooner State" on there. ;)

Okla-homey
5/14/2006, 07:25 PM
I'd like to see "The Sooner State" on there. ;)

I bet it will. I'm looking at my collection right now and vitually all of them have some kind of motto or tagline, with the notable exception of Kansas. It just has a buffalo and a sunflower. <yawn>

Anyhoo, OUrs is the first quarter for issue in 2008. Look for it in February at the latest.

Big Red Ron
5/14/2006, 07:33 PM
I just hope they don't try to placate the aggies by putting "Labor overcomes all" or whatever out state motto is.

Okla-homey
5/14/2006, 07:53 PM
I just hope they don't try to placate the aggies by putting "Labor overcomes all" or whatever out state motto is.

I personally prefer Amor Omnia Vincit to Labor Omnia Vincit anyway.:D

sooneron
5/14/2006, 08:45 PM
Anyhoo, OUrs is the first quarter for issue in 2008. Look for it in February at the latest.
Sweet! After I acquire the state Q. , I'll pop open my bottle of Quinto Do Vesuvio port. It's due to be ripe then!

Sooner24
5/14/2006, 08:50 PM
They could leave the scissortail off but it has to have the land run. I don't see how they could get both that and Will Rogers on it and make it look decent. If not the land run then Will Rogers for sure.

Sooner24
5/14/2006, 08:51 PM

Why do you think 90% of Nebraska fans don't even live in Nebraska. ;)

King Crimson
5/14/2006, 08:55 PM

no kidding.

sincerely,

Northern Colorado

royalfan5
5/14/2006, 09:40 PM
I'll probably put that up to an even 91% in a year, so you're preaching to the choir on that one.