PDA

View Full Version : Ramonce Taylor arrested

AustinTXHorn
5/14/2006, 01:28 PM
Probably going to need a login: http://www.statesman.com/news/content/sports/stories/longhorns/05/15ramonce.html

University of Texas running back Ramonce Taylor was arrested early Sunday after Bell County sheriff's deputies found a backpack containing about five pounds of marijuana in the rear of his vehicle.

According to the Bell County sheriff's office, a live 40-caliber round of ammunition also was found in the center console of the vehicle.
While interviewing Taylor, sheriff's officials learned that Taylor had threatened to return to the fight with a firearm and might be armed.

Taylor told the deputies that he was not in possession of any weapons and gave them permission to search his vehicle, sheriff's officials said.
Obviously I'm not glad that the kid got arrested and is threatening to go back to fights with a loaded gun, but it doesn't make me mad that he will be off of the team. Knowing some people that know him, I've never really liked him. He needs to get his act straight, and if he doesn't hurry up, he'll be doing it in jail for a long, long time. This is certainly not the first incident like this one.

He was already out because of grades and probably wasn't going to make it back regardless. Hopefully he gets his life back in order...just not on the team here.

Also, is there anything dumber than reporting a crime when you have five pounds of marijuana and a gun in your car? Not only that, but letting the cops search it!

The Consumate Showman
5/14/2006, 01:35 PM
sounds like another PrentASS Elliott to me......

47straight
5/14/2006, 01:48 PM
Rule 1. Never, ever consent to search.

Rule 0. Don't break the law by having 5 pounds of pot in your car.

Horns suck, but it's hard for me to jump on this one. Kid messed up bad, and I hope he can pull his head out of his *** to make something of his life.

MiccoMacey
5/14/2006, 01:50 PM
I am a HUGE Ramonce fan, and I hate to see that for him.

But now, after Mack kicks him off the team, maybe we can offer him a "second chance" in life. ;)

KC//CRIMSON
5/14/2006, 01:56 PM
Probably going to need a login: http://www.statesman.com/news/content/sports/stories/longhorns/05/15ramonce.html

Obviously I'm not glad that the kid got arrested and is threatening to go back to fights with a loaded gun, but it doesn't make me mad that he will be off of the team. Knowing some people that know him, I've never really liked him. He needs to get his act straight, and if he doesn't hurry up, he'll be doing it in jail for a long, long time. This is certainly not the first incident like this one.

He was already out because of grades and probably wasn't going to make it back regardless. Hopefully he gets his life back in order...just not on the team here.

Also, is there anything dumber than reporting a crime when you have five pounds of marijuana and a gun in your car? Not only that, but letting the cops search it!

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f358/calixua2/earlhookem.jpg

Frozen Sooner
5/14/2006, 02:05 PM
Rule -1: Don't get into a 100 man fight at a pecan farm.

soonerhubs
5/14/2006, 02:11 PM
Mack needs to regain Institutional control :D

oumartin
5/14/2006, 02:13 PM
who was he hangin' with? Terrell Everett?

OUGreg723
5/14/2006, 02:46 PM
This is really sad, Rivalry aside. This young man has an opportunity that anyone would kill for at one of the better universities in the country. To see anyone throw their life away like this is just sad. Hopefully The University of Texas will stick by the kid in some sort of way to see that he gets help.

Not good.

OUGreg723
5/14/2006, 02:47 PM
Oh, and I forgot...TEXAS SUCKS!

TheGodfather889
5/14/2006, 02:49 PM
So I'm guessing he won't be on the Texas football team anymore?:D

oumartin
5/14/2006, 02:56 PM
booted off the football team. Will enroll this fall at Indiana and try out for.

freshchris05
5/14/2006, 03:28 PM
I am a HUGE Ramonce fan, and I hate to see that for him.

But now, after Mack kicks him off the team, maybe we can offer him a "second chance" in life. ;)

i hope your joking...

sooner518
5/14/2006, 04:10 PM

What happens if you do not consent to a search? Can't they pretty much search it anyways?

soonerhubs
5/14/2006, 04:12 PM
What happens if you do not consent to a search? Can't they pretty much search it anyways?
I think the rule is, Not without probable cause. But that can be interpreted quite loosely I assume.

CrimsonChampion
5/14/2006, 04:15 PM
Wasn't this one of the guys that was arrested for felony assault and robbery charges leading up to the NC title game? I heard he was from a 'horn fan I know. Not knocking on anyone, I just hope nobody decides to bring up Dusty's second chance, he was a model student and also made a mistake, but he like most Sooners made the best of his second chance.

I hope Taylor can get his stuff together, it's sad to see this kinda thing happen. P. Elliot was just an idiot gangbanger, so I heard on the sports animal. Hopefully both these guys can eventually just decide to git r' done without all the b.s. on the side.

snp
5/14/2006, 04:16 PM
His sister is pleading for his innocence on one of the UT boards

People this is rt sister he was at a party and the people said ******s was not allowed they proceed to jump him and busted n vandalize his truck he went to the local store to call police and they came they ask if they could search he said they found the weed n a back pack where the window was busted. So please keep us n ur prayers cause it was a set up.

I dont know if i mention that he gave the police permission to search so please dont start assuming just pray 4 us

Quite understandable. Everyone knows that if you really want someone in trouble, you should waste several thousand dollars on him.

Screw leaving a gram or an ounce behind. That's weak.

fadada1
5/14/2006, 04:38 PM
top notch grammar there - too bad ramonce didn't share any of his learnin' from ut.

Scott D
5/14/2006, 04:56 PM
University of Texas running back Ramonce Taylor was arrested early Sunday after Bell County sheriff's deputies found a backpack containing about five pounds of marijuana in the rear of his vehicle.

According to the Bell County sheriff's office, a live 40-caliber round of ammunition also was found in the center console of the vehicle.
While interviewing Taylor, sheriff's officials learned that Taylor had threatened to return to the fight with a firearm and might be armed.

Taylor told the deputies that he was not in possession of any weapons and gave them permission to search his vehicle, sheriff's officials said.

When questioned about the marijuana, Taylor told the deputies that it was not his and that they should be able to figure out who it belonged to since the backpack had the initials RW on it.

:D

soonerhubs
5/14/2006, 05:10 PM
Well, all joking aside, I hope he can turn it all around.

sooner94
5/14/2006, 05:25 PM
Quote:
People this is rt sister he was at a party and the people said ******s was not allowed they proceed to jump him and busted n vandalize his truck he went to the local store to call police and they came they ask if they could search he said they found the weed n a back pack where the window was busted. So please keep us n ur prayers cause it was a set up.

I dont know if i mention that he gave the police permission to search so please dont start assuming just pray 4 us

Nate Newton also had his van broken into a couple of times, and they stashed 1000 pounds of marijauna.

snp
5/14/2006, 05:30 PM
Well, all joking aside, I hope he can turn it all around.

Why? Because he's good at football? He's a pos thug.

TexasLidig8r
5/14/2006, 05:30 PM
Nate Newton also had his van broken into a couple of times, and they stashed 1000 pounds of marijauna.

Hell Nate was innocent. He just thought all that green stuff was lettuce for his cheeseburgers.

Gandalf_The_Grey
5/14/2006, 05:42 PM
When questioned about the marijuana, Taylor told the deputies that it was not his and that they should be able to figure out who it belonged to since the backpack had the initials RW on it.

Rodrique Wright?? ;)

sooner94
5/14/2006, 05:55 PM
Quote:

I actually heard that it was a suitcase, not a back pack. Ramonce Taylor told the police that it probably belongs to a person with the last name Samsonite.

jk the sooner fan
5/14/2006, 05:58 PM
i scored more busts on consent searches than i ever did on warrant searches

i never figured out why people would consent knowing i was going to find the goods..

and if you decline on a consent, the officer cant search without a warrant....but he can hold you there while he tries to get one!

47straight
5/14/2006, 06:25 PM

There's nothing good for you that can come of consenting to search. By refusing, you do make it a lot harder, though they do have a lot of leeway under "probable cause."

If you do have something in there (like a gun, all you hillbillies), they *will* find it. If you refuse to consent to search, and they go ahead without probable cause, you at least have an argument later to have the search thrown out. If you consent - then you have no argument, because the cop just asked and you let him.

If you don't have anything in there, your best case scenario to consenting is killing a half hour while the cop wants to rumamge around in your shiz. I personally *hate* other people wasting my time (I can waste it on my own thank you very much). The worst case scenario is that something gets planted, however rare that would be. Why bother with it all if you have to?

In Ramonce's case, however, the cop prolly could have gotten probable cause because of his alleged threat to return with a gun. That is a pretty specific piece of information, and the cop would probably have had grounds to make sure that he wasn't armed before letting him go on his way.

BOOMERBRADLEY
5/14/2006, 06:52 PM
I haven't read every post, but if one rejects a consent to search the cop will simply say "okay, hang on a sec while I call the K9" When the K9 gets a hit then they can search away

GrapevineSooner
5/14/2006, 06:59 PM
Taylor's lawyer (surprise) says the pot wasn't his (http://www.wfaa.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/stories/051506dnspoutarrest.3fd23d48.html).

By CHIP BROWN / The Dallas Morning News

AUSTIN – The attorney for Texas running back Ramonce Taylor, the all-purpose yardage leader for the national champion Longhorns in 2005, says marijuana found in Taylor's car early Sunday morning, resulting in Taylor's arrest and jailing, didn't belong to Taylor.

Attorney Buck Harris of Killeen said Taylor "did exactly what we teach our children to do" when he called 911 at about 1:30 a.m. Sunday to report that someone had broken out the back window of his sports utility vehicle while leaving a fight at a party in the Central Texas town of Little River.

"Rarely do people who have large quantities of controlled substance call the police and or offer the right for them to search their car," Harris said. "Generally the last person you want to see at that point is an officer searching your vehicle. I'm not trying to beg the question, I'm just trying to say, this is not a routine traffic stop."

jk the sooner fan
5/14/2006, 07:00 PM
I haven't read every post, but if one rejects a consent to search the cop will simply say "okay, hang on a sec while I call the K9" When the K9 gets a hit then they can search away

not until he gets a warrant, the dog only gives them probable cause to get the warrant

nothing good can come from a consent? not true

TheHumanAlphabet
5/14/2006, 07:05 PM
Here's the Houston Chronicle story...

Tokum U at it again!!! (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/3862550.html)

Scott D
5/14/2006, 07:11 PM
Taylor's lawyer (surprise) says the pot wasn't his (http://www.wfaa.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/stories/051506dnspoutarrest.3fd23d48.html).

I established that fact earlier in the thread...it belonged to the mysterious RW. ;)

1991SOONER
5/14/2006, 07:49 PM

Of course it isn't:rolleyes:

soonerlaw
5/14/2006, 07:58 PM
I heard he is going to withdraw from school and go play in the CFL... oh wait......

snp
5/14/2006, 07:58 PM
nothing good can come from a consent? not true

I'm curious. What good could come from allowing a search? Maybe if there was a neglible amount of contraband the cop would take some leniancy or something?

It's worked and failed for me in the past.

SoonerShark
5/14/2006, 08:04 PM
who was he hangin' with? Terrell Everett?

Nope. JamesOn Curry. Terrell was a user not a dope pusher.

SoonerShark
5/14/2006, 08:08 PM

Not without probable cause, but today in the US, being a breathing human is good enough. Judge's use the Constitution for toilet paper nowadays and many sound like press agents for the D.A.'s office.

SoonerShark
5/14/2006, 08:09 PM
Funny. The Longhorns are being paid in grass.

footballfanatic
5/14/2006, 08:37 PM
It's hard to feel too sorry for him. Taylor is a guy with multiple run-ins with the law. He had a couple last year. He has had at least two chances to get things in order. He's had opportunities because of his physical talent that most guys wth his background would never get. Mack won't give up on him--he rarely does, out of loyalty to the players he recruited, but RT is on his last chance.

jk the sooner fan
5/14/2006, 08:37 PM
I'm curious. What good could come from allowing a search? Maybe if there was a neglible amount of contraband the cop would take some leniancy or something?

It's worked and failed for me in the past.

the cop doesnt have the discretion, nor authority to grant you leniency, only the courts can do that

cooperation with the police CAN work in your favor with the DA

Mixer!
5/14/2006, 08:58 PM
I established that fact earlier in the thread...it belonged to the mysterious RW. ;)

http://img234.imageshack.us/img234/3938/rickydorsetta6wh.jpg

:texan:

soonerlaw
5/15/2006, 08:37 AM
Well, the police are saying there were a couple of other guys in the car; so the backpack and the weed may have belonged to one of them...possibly. I don't practice much crim pro, but if there are four guys in the car, do all of them have to consent to the search of the car, or only the driver/owner? Once they found the pot it would give them prob. cause to search each and every one of them, but initially, I can't remember who needs to give consent.

SoonerShark
5/15/2006, 08:38 AM
http://img234.imageshack.us/img234/3938/rickydorsetta6wh.jpg

:texan:

"I's forgotted da ball ain'ts no good place ta hides da weed."

SoonerShark
5/15/2006, 08:38 AM
Turns out he was just carrying for Ricky Williams.

Hatfield
5/15/2006, 08:47 AM

Horns suck, but it's hard for me to jump on this one. Kid messed up bad, and I hope he can pull his head out of his *** to make something of his life.

actually rule 1 should be don't call the cops on yourself.

SoonerShark
5/15/2006, 08:47 AM
Well, the police are saying there were a couple of other guys in the car; so the backpack and the weed may have belonged to one of them...possibly. I don't practice much crim pro, but if there are four guys in the car, do all of them have to consent to the search of the car, or only the driver/owner? Once they found the pot it would give them prob. cause to search each and every one of them, but initially, I can't remember who needs to give consent.

In a recent search of a residence, only the owner or an actual resident therein could claim the rights at one time guaranteed by the 4th amendment in a search of the residence. The owner claimed it and the court allowed it. A person spending the night there claimed it, and the court allowed it. The other guests were banged by the court due to lack of standing. Of course, if the present administration has its way the 4th amendment will be done away with since the President quit doing cocaine in the 70s or early 80s.

The private backpack would be held until an allegedly unbiased magistrate issued a warrant to search it since probable cause is cheap today. It would only have been a matter of time. Nowadays, most judges seem like an arm of the D.A.’s office so it will not matter anyway.

JohnnyMack
5/15/2006, 09:08 AM
So that means that Saxet has Jamaal Charles to tote the rock and that's about it?

I like our chances in Oct. even more than I already did.

Thanks for being a stupid weed head wanna be gang-star.

soonerjoker
5/15/2006, 09:50 AM
he'll get out of this. he plays FOOTBALL.

TexasLidig8r
5/15/2006, 09:51 AM
So that means that Saxet has Jamaal Charles to tote the rock and that's about it?

I like our chances in Oct. even more than I already did.

Thanks for being a stupid weed head wanna be gang-star.

And Selvin Young.. and Henry Melton...

Dang well dressed, f'in' hillbilly, Doogie Howser look alike! ;)

soonerjoker
5/15/2006, 09:57 AM
will he have to repay his "signing bonus" ???

colleyvillesooner
5/15/2006, 09:57 AM

Selvin doesn't scare me, and since you won't sniff the 5 yard line, neither does Melton. ;)

Herr Scholz
5/15/2006, 09:59 AM
If he truly called the cops on himself, and then allowed them to search the car knowing what was in there, then it's truly natural selection at work here. Hopefully it wasn't his. Doubt he makes it back to the team regardless. Stupid kid with wasted potential.

As far as football goes, Jamaal Charles just won the 100 at the Big XII track championships. He and Selvin will do well with more touches. Not worried at RB.

JohnnyMack
5/15/2006, 10:02 AM

I'll take my chances with your lack of experience at QB, your lack of an everydown RB and the skillets you parade as WR's against our D.

Herr Scholz
5/15/2006, 10:29 AM
your lack of an everydown RB
Agree to disagree here.

and the skillets you parade as WR's against our D.
I thought the only reason Vince was good was because our WRs went up and grabbed all of his lobbed jump balls? ;)

JohnnyMack
5/15/2006, 10:33 AM
Agree to disagree here.

I thought the only reason Vince was good was because our WRs went up and grabbed all of his lobbed jump balls? ;)

We don't really know if you have someone that can be an everydown back. Time will tell on that one.

Sweed is schizophrenic. Really good or really bad. Doesn't seem to be an in between.

As to why your WR's were so open most of last year, I think the fact that most D's cheated a S up to try and keep VY in line led to a lot of man situations where your guys got open. Not sure if that'll be the case next year once Radio is getting knocked silly in Nashville.

Herr Scholz
5/15/2006, 10:42 AM
As to why your WR's were so open most of last year, I think the fact that most D's cheated a S up to try and keep VY in line led to a lot of man situations where your guys got open. Not sure if that'll be the case next year once Radio is getting knocked silly in Nashville.
You have a point here, but our WRs are plenty talented. They might not be as open this year due to a diminished threat at QB (as you mentioned above), but to call them skillets is unfair. They're all fast and talented. Jordan Shipley will wow you this year with his hands if he can stay healthy. Sweed does lose focus sometimes it seems, but he can be great sometimes too. Pittman, Cosby and Jones are all very good. Jermichael Finley is a gamebreaker at TE. I've got to say I hate losing Ramonce Taylor though. He was electric.

Now, the question you might ask is if Greg Davis squanders this talent like in the past with the sideways passing game. I think we've gotten over that hump but time will tell on that one as well.

stonecoldsoonerfan
5/15/2006, 11:03 AM
You have a point here, but our WRs are plenty talented. They might not be as open this year due to a diminished threat at QB (as you mentioned above), but to call them skillets is unfair. They're all fast and talented. Jordan Shipley will wow you this year with his hands if he can stay healthy. Sweed does lose focus sometimes it seems, but he can be great sometimes too. Pittman, Cosby and Jones are all very good. Jermichael Finley is a gamebreaker at TE. I've got to say I hate losing Ramonce Taylor though. He was electric.

Now, the question you might ask is if Greg Davis squanders this talent like in the past with the sideways passing game. I think we've gotten over that hump but time will tell on that one as well.

you have 2 qb's that have absolutely NO experience (unless you want to call a bit of mopup duty by mccoy "experience"). after personally watching them both in the texas spring game, neither of them come anywhere near as close as vince to being athletic in their scrambling ability. iow's, they are the equivalent of bomar in that area. we have the best tailback in college football and we still couldn't overcome our qb's shortcomings. do you really think that your wr's are going to overcome the lack of qb experience you're going to have against us or ohio state? do you remember how vince sucked against OU in his first 2 games against us? you guys sound like alot of OU fans on this board last year (including me).

it's not going to happen. your qb's, while talented, are going to suck due to their lack of experience. your wr's, o-line, and greg davis (BWAHAHAHA!) are NOT going to be enough to overcome that. period. end of story. Hook 'em

JohnnyMack
5/15/2006, 11:09 AM
I think next season could be a very strong argument as to why VY should have won the Heisman.

5/15/2006, 11:14 AM
Really, who among us hasn't been caught with 5 lbs. of weed at some point?

Herr Scholz
5/15/2006, 11:21 AM
you have 2 qb's that have absolutely NO experience (unless you want to call a bit of mopup duty by mccoy "experience").
The mopup duty last year was Matt McCoy (walkon). Colt McCoy hasn't taken a college snap. He redshirted. FYI.

after personally watching them both in the texas spring game, neither of them come anywhere near as close as vince to being athletic in their scrambling ability. iow's, they are the equivalent of bomar in that area.
I agree. They're more athletic than people give them credit for though. They both pass very well and are both sub 4.7 runners. Snead is the more athletic of the two.

we have the best tailback in college football and we still couldn't overcome our qb's shortcomings.
AD was hurt a lot of last year and you had OL issues. We have a deep and talented OL and several experienced RBs and WRs. I think either of our new QBs is in a better position to succeed than Bomar was in '05.

do you really think that your wr's are going to overcome the lack of qb experience you're going to have against us or ohio state?
Maybe not. We'll see. We have a lot coming back though. OU and tOSU both have issues of their own as well. Also, UT's D has stifled your Sooners the past two years, don't forget that. You've scored one TD against us in each of the past two games.

stonecoldsoonerfan
5/15/2006, 11:34 AM
sir, i knew vince young. i served with vince young. i partied with vince young. i chased women with vince young. i smoked dope with vince young. vince young was a friend of mine. and [next tejas qb], you aren't any vince young.

kinda funny how skipped over the fact that greg davis doesn't bring something positive to the table. yeah, your o-line is better this fall than what ours was last fall, but we've faced that before more than once this decade. did it make a difference? no. we still canned applejuice, phil's boy more than once, and radio more than once. so what? ALL of those guys were better than what you have taking snaps under center when they played OU and it didn't make a difference, did it? :texan: was roy williams and company a better wr core than what you have now? yes. and did that make a difference? no.

you guys really have nothing better than you've had in the past against us and we beat you then. the liabilities at qb for OU are MUCH smaller than last year. we (finally) have a o-coord. that will tailor the offense around the players than the players around the system. you won't see peterson left, right, pass on 3rd and long, and then punt this fall. you guys on the other hand, have a greg davis offense WITHOUT the ONLY TRUE thing that made it successful last year. and after losing a couple of guys on your d-line, a lb, and the best d-back in college last year, you're comments on the defense are nothing but reminiscing about the good ol' days that only lasted one season.

it's going to be comical watching the implosion of horns when they find out they're right back in the same boat against OU they were in the first 5 games this decade. Hook 'em

Herr Scholz
5/15/2006, 11:56 AM
kinda funny how skipped over the fact that greg davis doesn't bring something positive to the table.
We'll see. I think he gets a bad rap. 3 of his past 4 QBs are playing pro ball now and one's a 27-year old Div 1-A offensive coordinator. Not too shabby. I think a lot of Simms' choking gets laid at his feet unfairly.

ALL of those guys were better than what you have taking snaps under center when they played OU and it didn't make a difference, did it?
How can you make that statement when they haven't even played? Applewhite beat OU as a freshman BTW, as did James Brown and Pete Gardere. We've been in this situation before and came out on top. Will our offense be as potent without VY? Of course not but to make a blanket statement that OU will shut down all of our very talented skill players is a bit naive.

and after losing a couple of guys on your d-line, a lb, and the best d-back in college last year, you're comments on the defense are nothing but reminiscing about the good ol' days that only lasted one season.
This is just wrong. Our D will be very salty this year. Top 10 again.

it's going to be comical watching the implosion of horns when they find out they're right back in the same boat against OU this decade they were in the first 5 games this decade. Hook 'em
That would definitely be disheartening for us. I see it playing out differently though. I'll take our inexperience at QB vs. your inexperience at OL. The games are won in the trenches and I don't think you have the horses just yet at OL. The implosion will be just as great with your fanbase if you discover things aren't "back to normal" as you guys put it after 10/7. Stoops would take some real criticism from the OU fans maybe for the first time.

snp
5/15/2006, 12:00 PM
the cop doesnt have the discretion, nor authority to grant you leniency, only the courts can do that

cooperation with the police CAN work in your favor with the DA

I meant if the cop found something he might be more inclined to let you dispose of it rather then bust you for it.

jk the sooner fan
5/15/2006, 12:16 PM
I meant if the cop found something he might be more inclined to let you dispose of it rather then bust you for it.

um not no but hell no

thats called destroying evidence and is grounds for dismissal.....

TexasLidig8r
5/15/2006, 12:28 PM
um not no but hell no

.... and criminal indictment.

Mjcpr
5/15/2006, 12:29 PM

Not all cops, but probably 99.7% of them would.

soonerinabilene
5/15/2006, 12:38 PM
in abilene, it is widely known that if you get caught with something as small as a joint or a one hitter, the cops will confiscate it and let you go IF you have no priors. if you do have a record, then they will enforce the law. of course, there is big difference between a j and 5 lbs of weed. like the whole intent to sale thing.(by the way, its abilene texass, not kansas, so that may be why also)

Salt City Sooner
5/15/2006, 12:54 PM

Heard some murmurs that Melton was going to DE. Has that experiment been shut down for now?

Flagstaffsooner
5/15/2006, 12:59 PM
http://forums.hornfans.com/php/wwwthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=football&Number=4211326&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=0&fpart=

Herr Scholz
5/15/2006, 01:26 PM
Heard some murmurs that Melton was going to DE. Has that experiment been shut down for now?
Apparently. He only played RB in the Spring game.

KC//CRIMSON
5/15/2006, 02:23 PM
http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/1606/ramonce9io.jpg

from the oui board.

Tear Down This Wall
5/15/2006, 03:35 PM
We don't really know if you have someone that can be an everydown back. Time will tell on that one.

Sweed is schizophrenic. Really good or really bad. Doesn't seem to be an in between.

As to why your WR's were so open most of last year, Bob Stoops forgot to sign enough corners from 2001-2004 and had to run a third string tailback out there at CB last year. He also couldn't get any of his 1,001 safety recruits to win one of the safety positions, so he moved a backup linebacker into the secondary.

Fixed

Tear Down This Wall
5/15/2006, 03:36 PM
I thought the best part of the Dallas Morning News story was that Mack Brown said Taylor had been "excused from the team" this spring to work on academics. Sounds like Oklahoma State/Rose State College type of stuff.

caphorns
5/15/2006, 04:07 PM
Mack usually doesn't suspend players from the team to work on their studies. There was always more to this IMO than just academics. I'm pretty sure RT is gone. I hope for his sake that he is not guilty of this crime and can dig his way out - find better friends - and get back on the field for somebody some day. He was an excellent talent. But I'm not keen on bringing him back to the 40 Acres.

This will have no effect on the Melton to DE stuff. We added a RB or 2 in the offseason that can come in and play some minutes. Melton either learns to lower his head and deliver the boom as a runner or he is better off giving it a go at DE IMO. Nothing to do with RT. Two completely different style runners.

snp
5/15/2006, 04:24 PM
um not no but hell no

Yea, but a lot of cops do this. Still haven't said why consenting to a search is beneficial.

jk the sooner fan
5/15/2006, 04:31 PM
Yea, but a lot of cops do this. Still haven't said why consenting to a search is beneficial.

sure i have, but you wont see it from my side

1stTimeCaller
5/15/2006, 05:10 PM
so why is it beneficial for a person to consent to the police searching their vehicle?

I see the benefits on the police side but not the person's.

47straight
5/15/2006, 05:28 PM
We'll see. I think he gets a bad rap. 3 of his past 4 QBs are playing pro ball now and one's a 27-year old Div 1-A offensive coordinator. Not too shabby. I think a lot of Simms' choking gets laid at his feet unfairly.

Doesn't the fact that he was unable to capitalize on those prove he deserves said bad rap?

Big Red Ron
5/15/2006, 06:00 PM
so why is it beneficial for a person to consent to the police searching their vehicle?

I see the benefits on the police side but not the person's.There isn't. On a side note, it is never a good idea to explain to a cop that you know your rights. Good way to get you *** kicked.

For all of the praise I have for the American Justice system, I'll never understand why (or how to fix the fact) the lowest man on the "Judicial totem pole" (the police) are also the most powerful in terms of conviction are the LEAST educated.

No offense to any coppers here but man I've known about ten cops and I'm not impressed. That said, I know there are good ones but they move out of the Black and Whites ASAP.

jk the sooner fan
5/15/2006, 06:47 PM
wow......

anyway, ask a defense attorney if they've ever gotten any consideration from a DA because their client cooperated.......i'll just be the answer would be yes

MiccoMacey
5/15/2006, 07:06 PM
anyway, ask a defense attorney if they've ever gotten any consideration from a DA because their client cooperated.......i'll just be the answer would be yes

I can see where, once you've consented to the police, this could help you.

But why consent in the first place? It seems as if you don't consent, they have no case against you for you to cooperate to.

I read the posts that say they will get the backpack in the end anyways, but if they detain you or the backpack for an unreasonable time, doesn't that give you room to have the case dismissed in the first place?

BTW, I would always consent because I believe in the goodness of the police. My argument is just a rebuttal to what has been said.

Big Red Ron
5/15/2006, 07:15 PM
wow......

anyway, ask a defense attorney if they've ever gotten any consideration from a DA because their client cooperated.......I'll just be the answer would be yesMaybe I just have had bad luck. I got beaten badly by two policemen while I was in HS. I had done nothing wrong and stated my innocence and rights. These guys laughed and locked me in the back of a police van while cuffed behind my back. I sued and they lied. If a video tape of the incident hadn't surfaced, they would have gotten away with it. Sorry, jk I shouldn't paint with such a broad brush. My story, however, is not unique.

jk the sooner fan
5/15/2006, 07:33 PM
i bet there are less of you with your story than there are those with it

thats a HUGE brush you paint with, while i understand and appreciate your experience, its a slap in the face to the thousands of SMART and hard working cops who obey the rules while working everyday

so all the cops you meet are idiots, i guess its your superior intellect that just puts them down a few notches on the food chain

micco - cops dont ask EVERY SINGLE person they stop for a consent......they normally ask for a consent for a reason....they've normally got a hunch, stupid as we all are, we tend to get it right more times than not

so you say no to the consent, sure thats an option, but its a bit of a gamble.....if the cop calls for k-9 and the dog alerts on the car, they'll get that warrant, and now your name has appeared on a legal document before you've ever been arrested

define an unreasonable amount of time? they can detain you long enough to conduct an investigation...which includes bring the dog out, once they have PC, you arent going anywhere

i'm not suggesting that if you've got 5 pounds of dope in your car that you just roll over and give it up.....but i am saying that when it gets to the DA, it CAN be a benefit

Big Red Ron
5/15/2006, 07:40 PM
Like I said, "sorry to paint with such a broad brush."

In a perfect world the Gov. would pay enough and require enough education minimum to weed out the bad apples.

jk the sooner fan
5/15/2006, 07:42 PM
the dallas pd requires a college degree......not every department can do that obviously, the smaller rural ones just dont have the $$

look i know there are bad cops.......but there are more good ones

Big Red Ron
5/15/2006, 07:47 PM
the dallas pd requires a college degree......not every department can do that obviously, the smaller rural ones just dont have the $$

look i know there are bad cops.......but there are more good onesI agree about the ratio of good to bad but there are too many. Norman also requires a college degree but not in OKC or most major cities. Since they are supposed to enforce the law, a law degree would be nice.

101sooner
5/15/2006, 08:44 PM
5 pounds.

In 1987 dollars that's over $10.000 ;) if you figure $40.00 per quarter ounce (best I can remember).

If that was a set up, they must have been REALLY ****ed off at R.T. to have tossed 1 billion 1987 dollars into the back of that vehicle just to set him up.

Less than one pound would have had the same result.

MiccoMacey
5/15/2006, 08:51 PM
micco - cops dont ask EVERY SINGLE person they stop for a consent......they normally ask for a consent for a reason....they've normally got a hunch, stupid as we all are, we tend to get it right more times than not

so you say no to the consent, sure thats an option, but its a bit of a gamble.....if the cop calls for k-9 and the dog alerts on the car, they'll get that warrant, and now your name has appeared on a legal document before you've ever been arrested

define an unreasonable amount of time? they can detain you long enough to conduct an investigation...which includes bring the dog out, once they have PC, you arent going anywhere

i'm not suggesting that if you've got 5 pounds of dope in your car that you just roll over and give it up.....but i am saying that when it gets to the DA, it CAN be a benefit

Hey, I appreciate you guys. I'm sorry if I came off as trying to put down the police. Like I said, I'd consent if asked.

But there's no way you guys are more smarter than us firefighters. ;)

goingoneight
5/15/2006, 09:27 PM
So I'm guessing he won't be on the Texas football team anymore?:D

He did manage to play the MNC after armed robbery charges! :D

goingoneight
5/15/2006, 09:36 PM
If he truly called the cops on himself, and then allowed them to search the car knowing what was in there, then it's truly natural selection at work here. Hopefully it wasn't his. Doubt he makes it back to the team regardless. Stupid kid with wasted potential.

As far as football goes, Jamaal Charles just won the 100 at the Big XII track championships. He and Selvin will do well with more touches. Not worried at RB.

You worried about OUr RB??? :D

goingoneight
5/15/2006, 09:42 PM
you have 2 qb's that have absolutely NO experience (unless you want to call a bit of mopup duty by mccoy "experience"). after personally watching them both in the texas spring game, neither of them come anywhere near as close as vince to being athletic in their scrambling ability. iow's, they are the equivalent of bomar in that area. we have the best tailback in college football and we still couldn't overcome our qb's shortcomings. do you really think that your wr's are going to overcome the lack of qb experience you're going to have against us or ohio state? do you remember how vince sucked against OU in his first 2 games against us? you guys sound like alot of OU fans on this board last year (including me).

it's not going to happen. your qb's, while talented, are going to suck due to their lack of experience. your wr's, o-line, and greg davis (BWAHAHAHA!) are NOT going to be enough to overcome that. period. end of story. Hook 'em

I agree that UT WRs are very talented... anyone of two special WRs to play for a major D1 name is something to consider a threat. The freshmen QBs will burn you, if not against us... against someone. It always happens to Freshmen.
However, not every freshmen will have a flop on the OL like Bomar did, so if McCoy has five to seven seconds of time per down like VY did, it should ease the freshmen jitters.

the word "freshmen" should give anyone a fright who is defending an MNC.

Desert Sapper
5/16/2006, 03:16 AM
How can you make that statement when they haven't even played? Applewhite beat OU as a freshman BTW, as did James Brown and Pete Gardere. We've been in this situation before and came out on top.

You've made this claim before. That doesn't mean OUr defense this year will look like our defenses did when Applewhite (who Mack buttf***ed out of a starting job), Brown, and Gardere won the Red River War as freshmen. When OUr defense has been great (as it will be again this year -- possibly top 5), and OUr offense hasn't screwed us out of good field position (as it did again and again and again last year), we've crushed you. When OUr offense has been rocking (as it may be again this year), we've made you look like a 5th grade girls soccer team. No matter how you look at it, this year will look much, much different than last year. Prepare yourself. Hook 'em

snp
5/16/2006, 03:40 AM
i bet there are less of you with your story than there are those with it

Hah. Lord knows I have had my fair share run-ins with the police, as well as my friends. And NO, there are much more stories about officers abusing their powers and taking advantage of the situation then showing restraint and compassion.

In MY experience, consenting usually doesn't help out. Perhaps for when you patrolled the streets, since you seem like a decent dude. But we're on totally different end of the spectrum, man.

If you're in college the cops are going to screw you 6-ways from Sunday. And there's nothing we can do but bite our lip and abide. And we still get hosed.

ESPICALLY in Norman. But that's a whole other topic.

jk the sooner fan
5/16/2006, 06:40 AM
Hah. Lord knows I have had my fair share run-ins with the police, as well as my friends. And NO, there are much more stories about officers abusing their powers and taking advantage of the situation then showing restraint and compassion.

you're dead wrong, but you wouldnt know because you've only had experiences where you've been in trouble, or your friends were.......at your age, you think they're all out to "get you"

grow up a little, get out in the real world, things will look different

caphorns
5/16/2006, 09:39 AM
5 pounds.

In 1987 dollars that's over $10.000 ;) if you figure $40.00 per quarter ounce (best I can remember).

Gross, gross overestimation of street value. I say check the straps on the backpack. If the backpack don't fit, you must acquit :)

GDC
5/16/2006, 09:57 AM
It's Tuesday.

RooseveltRoughRider
5/16/2006, 11:57 AM

The reason Texas was so deadly last year was because they did not rely on a EVERY DOWN back. The Horns had different people carry the bulk different games, and several people missed games and the running backs did not miss a beat. They did not lose a rivalry game and blame it on their star RB being hurt

BOOMERBRADLEY
5/16/2006, 12:08 PM
The reason Texas was so deadly last year was because they did not rely on a EVERY DOWN back. The Horns had different people carry the bulk different games, and several people missed games and the running backs did not miss a beat. They did not lose a rivalry game and blame it on their star RB being hurt

You're kidding, right ?

VY had nothing to do with their success ? So if VY was hurt during the RRS last year and Texas lost to OU their fans would blame it on something else right :rolleyes:

sooner94
5/16/2006, 12:17 PM
Gross, gross overestimation of street value. I say check the straps on the backpack. If the backpack don't fit, you must acquit :)

lol That reminds me of when OJ "tried" to put on the gloves in court.

Herr Scholz
5/16/2006, 02:31 PM
lol That reminds me of when OJ "tried" to put on the gloves in court.
Way to suck the marrow out of that joke.

Big Red Ron
5/16/2006, 04:11 PM
The reason Texas was so deadly last year was because they did not rely on a EVERY DOWN back. The Horns had different people carry the bulk different games, and several people missed games and the running backs did not miss a beat. They did not lose a rivalry game and blame it on their star RB being hurtwhatever gets you to sleep at night.:rolleyes:

Tear Down This Wall
5/16/2006, 05:03 PM
The reason Texas got over on OU last year was that Bob Stoops didn't recruit enough cornerbacks from 2001-2004 and got caught having to use a third string tailback there as a result. The Horns had one play where an OU linebacker tried to strip the ball instead of making a tackle, it resulted in a touchdown. They did praise the Lord above when they discovered OU's strength coach ran off most of the offensive line recruits from 2001-2004 and that Adrian Peterson would be on the sideline injured. In short, Texas saw a small window of opportunity in 2005 and took it instead of choking like in years past.

Fixed.

sooner94
5/16/2006, 05:35 PM
Way to suck the marrow out of that joke.

Why do you post here?

RooseveltRoughRider
5/17/2006, 04:48 PM
If VY wa snot playing Texas still would have won, just not by as much.

1stTimeCaller
5/17/2006, 04:49 PM

If your aunt had balls she'd be your uncle.

caphorns
5/17/2006, 04:56 PM
Look, I'm generally not one to judge somebody based on a name. But what the hell is a Rough Rider exactly?

I'm actually probably sorry I asked that question.

BASSooner
5/17/2006, 05:01 PM
05 or 06 year?

Herr Scholz
5/17/2006, 05:01 PM
But what the hell is a Rough Rider exactly?

http://img.timeinc.net/time/time100/images/main_troosevelt.jpg

Herr Scholz
5/17/2006, 05:02 PM
05 or 06 year?
I can appreciate a good zinger. spek.

picasso
5/17/2006, 06:01 PM
http://img.timeinc.net/time/time100/images/main_troosevelt.jpg
bad ***.

I'll pour some beer out for Ramonce tonight yo.

footballfanatic
5/17/2006, 06:39 PM
Teddy Roosevelt was one cool guy. Still the only president to keep a loaded revolver in the oval office.

picasso
5/17/2006, 06:47 PM
Teddy Roosevelt was one cool guy. Still the only president to keep a loaded revolver in the oval office.
Clinton always kept his loaded in said room.

ba-dump crash!

MiccoMacey
5/17/2006, 07:13 PM
Clinton always kept his loaded

Until it wasn't. ;)

47straight
5/22/2006, 07:51 PM

President Logan on 24 kept one in his retreat office.

Soonerman08
5/22/2006, 08:48 PM
Roosevelt and the Rough Riders at San Juan Hill, what a great piece of American History. One of my favorite stories just showing how bad *** the American militia can be!

mOUse
5/24/2006, 10:37 PM
http://home.comcast.net/~miseys/taylor.bmp