PDA

View Full Version : Well, We Almost Got Him...

SicEmBaylor
5/14/2006, 01:04 PM
http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/05/14/D8HJDVA86.html

A plane carrying U.S. Sen. Edward M. Kennedy from western Massachusetts to his home on the coast was struck by lightning Saturday and had to be diverted to New Haven, Conn., his spokeswoman said.

The eight-seat Cessna Citation 550 plane lost all electrical power, including communications, and the pilot had to fly the plane manually, according to spokeswoman Melissa Wagoner. No one was hurt.

The Democrat had just delivered the commencement address at the Massachusetts College of Liberal Arts in North Adams and was on his way to his Cape Cod home when the plane was struck around 4 p.m., she said.

The jet landed safely at New Haven at 4:11 p.m., said Federal Aviation Administration spokeswoman Arlene Murray. A report was filed with the agency, which will look into the incident, she said.

Kennedy planned to stay in Connecticut overnight because he was scheduled to return to western Massachusetts on Sunday to deliver a commencement address at Springfield College, Wagoner said.

oumartin
5/14/2006, 01:11 PM
God was toying with him cuz if god doesn't miss if he wants to take you out!!!!
;)

soonerhubs
5/14/2006, 01:22 PM
God was toying with him cuz if god doesn't miss if he wants to take you out!!!!
;)
Coulda had ya! Just a reminder, fata**:D

Okla-homey
5/14/2006, 01:42 PM
They build some danged tough aerial vee-hicles in Witch-a-tittay I tell ya.

Them Kansas folks build crap built to last.

oumartin
5/14/2006, 02:16 PM
that cessna might be built down in independence Ks. there homey.

oumartin
5/14/2006, 02:18 PM
Coulda had ya!

Coulda had me? You never had your car! ;)

soonerhubs
5/14/2006, 02:27 PM
Coulda had me? You never had your car! ;)
Help me out here. I'm a little slow.

Ohhh... Not you. I was quoting deity talking to Edward.

oumartin
5/14/2006, 02:29 PM
oh, anytime anyone says something like that a line from the fast and the furious comes to mind.
you're not slow, your mormon! :D

soonerhubs
5/14/2006, 02:30 PM
oh, anytime anyone says something like that a line from the fast and the furious comes to mind.
you're not slow, your mormon! :D
Gotcha! I still need to watch that movie. After I pick up Twister first though. :D

oumartin
5/14/2006, 02:37 PM
I recommend Fast and the Fuious. I achieved the O when watching the little Oriental Chick exiting the car in white thigh highs and a black and white plaid skirt!!!

Okla-homey
5/14/2006, 03:04 PM
that cessna might be built down in independence Ks. there homey.

I think they just build piston-engined craft in Independence (Skyhawks, etc.)

oumartin
5/14/2006, 03:07 PM
you're probably right! :D
I don't know the difference in types of Cessnas. I just know they make alot of them puppies in Indy.

Okla-homey
5/14/2006, 03:19 PM
I don't know the difference in types of Cessnas. I just know they make alot of them puppies in Indy.

The new Cessna Skyhawk. Built in Independence KS!

http://img172.imageshack.us/img172/5812/zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz2.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Photo however, NOT taken in Independence KS, as evidenced by the terrain in the background.

Jimminy Crimson
5/14/2006, 03:28 PM
The new Cessna Skyhawk. Built in Independence KS!

http://img172.imageshack.us/img172/5812/zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz2.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Photo however, NOT taken in Independence KS, as evidenced by the terrain in the background.

Those aren't the 'scenic hills' of Wichita? :confused: ;)

oumartin
5/14/2006, 03:43 PM
OH, and to make you guys feel comfy. I've known some of the people that work at the Indy cessna plant.. you don't wanna be flying one of those they've helped put together..

Jerk
5/14/2006, 03:48 PM

Been to Independence, martin?

I've been there many a time back when I used to do some outlaw truckin'

A load paid about $130 and we did it twice a day, but we had to falsify logs...not a bad gig for a 27 year old who previously made about 11 bucks an hour. Had fun doing it...Independece, though....err..I'm glad I don't live there.

Okla-homey
5/14/2006, 03:52 PM
OH, and to make you guys feel comfy. I've known some of the people that work at the Indy cessna plant.. you don't wanna be flying one of those they've helped put together..

Meth addicts are reportedly very adaptable to repetitive tasks but their attendance is often a problem. ;)

soonerhubs
5/14/2006, 03:57 PM
I need to learn how to fly a plane. Fascinating things. My BIL and his fam came to town from Oregon to Utah on one of those smaller planes. They also had an emergency stop, but it was bowel induced. Can you imagine that? "Uh honey I know we just got in the air, but I really really gotta go!"

oumartin
5/14/2006, 04:09 PM
no meth heads but lots of heavy drinkers Homey,
Jerk, I used to live in Caney which is Close to Indy.
I worked in the lovely city of Coffeyville

StoopTroup
5/14/2006, 04:23 PM
I took a tour of the Independence plant once. The plane starts out at one end of the building with a box full of parts and at the other end is a new airplane ready to be painted.

There were 3 different lines going at the same time then.

Off to one side was a huge stack of Lycoming Engines in boxes.

Avoid the cafeteria IMO. ;)

Jerk
5/14/2006, 04:34 PM
Jerk, I used to live in Caney which is Close to Indy.
I worked in the lovely city of Coffeyville

Been through Caney many times. I used to have to stop at the little scalehouse just south of town on 75.

yermom
5/14/2006, 04:38 PM
I recommend Fast and the Fuious. I achieved the O when watching the little Oriental Chick exiting the car in white thigh highs and a black and white plaid skirt!!!

isn't that 2 Fast 2 Furious? :O

oh and TMI :eek:

Okla-homey
5/14/2006, 04:42 PM

Be honest, if you lived in Independence KS wouldn't you drink? ;)

http://img484.imageshack.us/img484/9161/zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz17.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

StoopTroup
5/14/2006, 04:42 PM
Most definitely.

fadada1
5/14/2006, 04:54 PM
i noticed that sfter said lightning strike, the pilot had to "fly the plane manually"......

now, i'm no plane expert.... but i've never heard of a small plane flying itself. maybe i'm missing something here - possibly the auto pilot ala the movie "airplane".

is kennedy that much of a threat that all his planes are flown via remote????

oumartin
5/14/2006, 04:59 PM
to be honest Homey I love that part of the state better than where I live. AT least you can drive to Bartlesville, Tulsa, Joplin and its alot prettier country. I didnt' care for independence. its laid out weird but I would move back to that area in a heartbeat

Jerk
5/14/2006, 05:05 PM
i noticed that sfter said lightning strike, the pilot had to "fly the plane manually"......

now, i'm no plane expert.... but i've never heard of a small plane flying itself. maybe i'm missing something here - possibly the auto pilot ala the movie "airplane".

Shoot...they got autopilots now that can be slaved to a GPS and the pilot has his hands off the controls probably 90% of the time. It's direct route from point A to point B, unlike the old VOR system. It makes flying a matter of babysitting. ps- a multi-million dollar jet is going to have a kick-arse avionics package in it.

Homey - can they do GPS approaches now? Didn't they start doing that in the late 90s? Or do they still use ILS? I can't wait until GPS drives my truck and I'll I have to do is sit there....wait...then what would they need me for?

SicEmBaylor
5/14/2006, 05:12 PM
Homey - can they do GPS approaches now? Didn't they start doing that in the late 90s? Or do they still use ILS? I can't wait until GPS drives my truck and I'll I have to do is sit there....wait...then what would they need me for?

To stop from crashing into other cars/trucks. :D
Cause the GPS system will know where you are but it won't know if anybody else is where you are too unless there's a system that solves that problem (and I'm sure there is).

fadada1
5/14/2006, 05:18 PM
To stop from crashing into other cars/trucks. :D
Cause the GPS system will know where you are but it won't know if anybody else is where you are too unless there's a system that solves that problem (and I'm sure there is).
clearly, you went to baylor. we OU grads would've never thought of that:D

Okla-homey
5/14/2006, 06:37 PM

A Citation 500 is a six passenger two-engine business jet. They have auto-pilot systems. Basically all these systems do is maintain altitude, heading and airspeed once you get it set-up. It really helps fight pilot fatigue on long flights. They may have civilian systems which are slaved to the nav system and thus will turn at programmed waypoints, but I wouldn't use that feature if I had it.

Big Red Ron
5/14/2006, 06:46 PM
The Kennedy Family must be on the way to the poor house if he's slummin in one of those planes.

Have you seen the Mathis Bro's Jet? My buddie is their personal pilot, he had to get a commercial licence to fly it.

Okla-homey
5/14/2006, 07:00 PM
The Kennedy Family must be on the way to the poor house if he's slummin in one of those planes.

Have you seen the Mathis Bro's Jet? My buddie is their personal pilot, he had to get a commercial licence to fly it.

If you fly folks or stuff for pay, generally, you must have an air transport pilot (ATP) certificate. Makes no diff on the size of the plane.

Those Mathis Bros are no doubt well-off, but I wouldn't want to trade places with them. <shivver>

Big Red Ron
5/14/2006, 07:07 PM
If you fly folks or stuff for pay, generally, you must have an air transport pilot (ATP) certificate. Makes no diff on the size of the plane.

Those Mathis Bros are no doubt well-off, but I wouldn't want to trade places with them. <shivver>Actually, he had to get a new licence to fly the new jet. I may not have the term correct but he can fly any commercial passenger jet for any major airline now. Where before he was limited to smaller prop planes and smaller jets.

He only flies for them. They live in Malibu, CA during the winter.

BigRedJed
5/14/2006, 07:18 PM
Those aren't the 'scenic hills' of Wichita? :confused: ;)
Nope. Here's a picture of the scenic hills around Wichita:

http://www.hannush.com/trip/2003/res_images/day03/flat_kansas.jpg

BigRedJed
5/14/2006, 07:20 PM
Actually, this is a little better view:

http://www.geocities.com/omni_2019/roaster_trip/Flat_Kansas.JPG

BigRedJed
5/14/2006, 07:21 PM
See, there's also a forest in that one.

Okla-homey
5/14/2006, 07:28 PM
Serious bidness. I think the Flint Hills country of Kansas is just about some of the prettiest country the good Lord ever made. Absolutely stunningly picturesque on a brilliant sunny morning or late in the afternoon.

BigRedJed
5/14/2006, 07:42 PM
I grew up in Kansas. I used to get vertigo when I stood on a step ladder.