PDA

View Full Version : the movies are dead to me on Friday, Saturday night

usmc-sooner
5/14/2006, 09:44 AM
the theatres let the jr. high and high school kids run wild. It's like a cell phone ocean of lights in there.

I went to see American Haunting (which sucked) and by the end of the movie they had to bring in a police officer to get these kids quiet.

When the show first started I knew we were in for a long night. A fat obnoxious kid was standing up facing the audience talking to his friend a few rows back. An adult told the kid to sit down and be quiet. The kid waved his hand as to dimiss the guy who told him this. My blood started boiling. I told the kid very loudly to sit his fat *** down or I would come sit him down. I guess this embarrassed him and my wife thought I over-reacted. Well as the movie rolled on more and more kids piled in and it got ridiculous. People wonder why the movie industry sucks right now well it's because of ****ty movies, not controling the kids in the the theatre, and freaking cell phones.

jacru
5/14/2006, 09:47 AM
Only matinees or weeknights for me.

usmc-sooner
5/14/2006, 09:48 AM

me too. I thought about talking to the manager but I thought it wouldn't do any good. They're probably making more money off those kids than they are me and my family.

Scott D
5/14/2006, 09:59 AM
really you could have summed this whole thing up by saying the problem is 'hollywood makes too many movies that are interesting to damned kids' :)

BajaOklahoma
5/14/2006, 10:14 AM
I think it is the movies-are-a-cheap-babysitter mentality of parents that is the basic issue.

The theatres need to band together and make kids show a driver license or be accompanied by a parent for admission. Won't happen, but it would bring back having a good experience at the theatres.

usmc-sooner
5/14/2006, 10:32 AM
I think for one they need to use usher's if you're not there to watch the movie, you should be asked to leave. They should have you turn off cell phones or not bring them in. If you're cell phone lights are on during the show you should be asked to leave. How hard is it to put the phone on vibrate and walk outside to take a call. When I was in jr. high somehow I survived without a cell phone. I somehow was able to make it 2 hours without talking on the phone.

I hate seeing these young jr high kids walking around with that stupid cell phone growing out of the ear.

Scott D
5/14/2006, 11:05 AM
I think it is the movies-are-a-cheap-babysitter mentality of parents that is the basic issue.

The theatres need to band together and make kids show a driver license or be accompanied by a parent for admission. Won't happen, but it would bring back having a good experience at the theatres.

why do you hate profitability? :P

dolemitesooner
5/14/2006, 11:30 AM
I would have shut the kids the **** up. Nothing ****es me off more than idiots talking during a movie or having cell phones out

King Crimson
5/14/2006, 11:37 AM
get netflix.

oumartin
5/14/2006, 11:37 AM
We no longer have a theatre in this town of 15,000 people.

walkoffsooner
5/14/2006, 11:43 AM
That's why I passed on the concealed weapon licence.

SicEmBaylor
5/14/2006, 01:37 PM
the theatres let the jr. high and high school kids run wild. It's like a cell phone ocean of lights in there.

I went to see American Haunting (which sucked) and by the end of the movie they had to bring in a police officer to get these kids quiet.

When the show first started I knew we were in for a long night. A fat obnoxious kid was standing up facing the audience talking to his friend a few rows back. An adult told the kid to sit down and be quiet. The kid waved his hand as to dimiss the guy who told him this. My blood started boiling. I told the kid very loudly to sit his fat *** down or I would come sit him down. I guess this embarrassed him and my wife thought I over-reacted. Well as the movie rolled on more and more kids piled in and it got ridiculous. People wonder why the movie industry sucks right now well it's because of ****ty movies, not controling the kids in the the theatre, and freaking cell phones.

It's not just the movie theaters; it's almost ANYWHERE. I've always hated all of that crap even when I was that age. I can't even go to the damned mall because it just annoys the hell out of me.

And have you ever listened to their conversations (surely you have since the concept of speaking softly and using an 'inside voice' is completely foreign to them)? They talk about the most petty insignificant crap that you could imagine.

Surely there was a time when teenagers didn't act that way. I'm too young to remember such a time but surely it existed. Parents just don't raise their kids well anymore. They probably show no class, manners, or ability to behave properly around their parents so they definitely aren't going to behave well when their parents are not around.

If I were a parent and I had done such a crappy job at raising my kids then I would at least stop them from going out and forcing other good people to suffer for my parental mistakes.

Rhino
5/15/2006, 02:03 AM
I think it is the movies-are-a-cheap-babysitter mentality of parents that is the basic issue. Yep.

I worked at a small five-house movie theatre in high school and the first part of college. We never really had problems with kids in the 16-21 range, but always with kids in the 12-15 range. Parents would drop them off at 6:30 and some wouldn't go home until 11:30. It was ridiculous. Most of the time, the kids had been kicked out of the theatre for a couple hours before their ride even showed.

We averaged 2000 people a night (1000 per showing) on Friday and Saturday nights. We usually had 12-15 employees, two managers and an off-duty cop working on those nights. And we never really averaged under ten complaints a night from people about the teenagers. We'd kick them out in bunches, but it never really much matter because there was always a new bunch somewhere or a kid with a lazer pointer or a drink spill in an aisle or a screaming baby or an overflowing trash can, etc. And, like I said, this was a small, five-house movie theatre. I can't imagine the headaches that go on at the megaplexes.

Blame the irresponsible parents with the "they'll be entertained and safe with the pack of wolves" mentality.

Vaevictis
5/15/2006, 04:12 AM
We deal with those kids by throwing half-eaten candy at the backs of their heads. Preferably half-eaten candy that will get all gummed up in their hair upon contact.

Usually, they get the point by the second or third time they spend 10 minutes getting it out.

stonecoldsoonerfan
5/16/2006, 12:11 PM
i went into quail springs to buy tix in advance for a movie on a saturday. long story short, it didn't take me 30 seconds (no exageration) for this teenage bikerb***h wannabe to get in a screaming match with me in front of a PACKED mall because she bumped into me and i had the audacity to put my hand on her back (not shoving) to let her know she was about to run over me. there were just a TON-i mean a TON-of teens there trying to look like gang members. all of them were running in packs of 5-6 or so.

i emailed the mall manager to let him know how i felt about letting the teens take over the mall and how rude they were. we only go into quail if it's absolutely necessary now (we live in edmond). we only go to matinees now and that's at penn square (not perfect, but better than quail). more than anything, we just rent movies now when we watch.

it's getting scary out there now. it really is. nobody has any manners anymore. if i acted like that growing up, my father would have put his size 12 1/2 up my butt to get his point across. nobody does that anymore.

White House Boy
5/16/2006, 12:13 PM
Word.

NormanPride
5/16/2006, 12:20 PM
These damn kids and their newfangled technology! Running around making noise! Don't they know you shouldn't have fun in public?! :mad:

Seriously, guys. Chill. You all sound like the crotchety old geezer that doesn't want the neighborhood boys playing football on his lawn. :D

sooneron
5/16/2006, 12:30 PM
These damn kids and their newfangled technology! Running around making noise! Don't they know you shouldn't have fun in public?! :mad:

Seriously, guys. Chill. You all sound like the crotchety old geezer that doesn't want the neighborhood boys playing football on his lawn. :D
Uh, no, there is having fun with friends and there is being ****ty. I used to hang out at the mall or Stubbeman Vill. back in the day. We would maybe act up a little- loud or whatever, but we sort of policed ourselves, nowhere near what these little ****s do today. Usually, when one of the little *******s does something to **** me off and acts like "what are you going to do about it?" I tell them they should go home and thank their parents for doing such a ****ty job of raising them. That shuts them up pretty fast. If they have anything to say back about that, I tell them that's the impression I got from their craptastic behavior.

Mjcpr
5/16/2006, 12:34 PM

That would be me. :O

GottaHavePride
5/16/2006, 12:35 PM
Manatees only from now on!

I can't wait for Bill Warren's new theater to go up in Moore.

White House Boy
5/16/2006, 12:36 PM

If I'm paying $9 to watch a crappy movie, by God, I want to hear every bit of the crappy dialogue and crappy sound effects.

Viking Kitten
5/16/2006, 12:49 PM
We've solved this whole problem by going only to movies that no teenager in his or her right mind would have any desire to see.

I think the last movie we saw in the theatre was Match Point.

Teenagers hate Woody Allen. Little f**kers.

NormanPride
5/16/2006, 12:53 PM
Man, I've never had kids be a problem in the theaters. Usually they're too dumb to think outside the realm of "Movie on. Watch movie. Eat popcorn. Try to grope girlfriend."

Mjcpr
5/16/2006, 12:57 PM

So does humanity.

Viking Kitten
5/16/2006, 01:00 PM
Especially Czar. Hee hee.

slickdawg
5/16/2006, 01:00 PM
We've solved this whole problem by going only to movies that no teenager in his or her right mind would have any desire to see.

I think the last movie we saw in the theatre was Match Point.

Conversely, Woody Allen likes to **** little teenagers.

NormanPride
5/16/2006, 01:11 PM
Especially Czar. Hee hee.

Humanity hates him? Or he thinks like those teenagers? If that's the case, then remind me to NEVER go to a movie with you two. :eek: