PDA

View Full Version : Halo for PC

OUDoc
5/13/2006, 09:24 PM
This MICROSOFT product won't run on my MICROSOFT Windows PC. It offers the suggestion that I try a "clean boot". Here's the error message:

"Setup was unable to find(or could not read) the language specific setup resource dll, unable to continue. Please reboot and try again."

Here's the planned fix:

Restart the computer by using a clean boot procedure
When you start Windows, typically there are a number of programs that start automatically and run in the background that may interfere with the game. These programs may include antivirus and system utility programs. When you perform a clean boot, you prevent these programs from starting automatically. You must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group to complete this procedure. If your computer is connected to a network, network policy settings may also prevent you from completing this procedure.

To restart your computer by using a clean boot procedure, follow these steps when you are using Windows XP.

Note You may experience a temporary loss of some services functionality when you follow these steps. Restoring the settings restores the functionality, but may result in the return of the original error message or behavior.
1. Click Start, click Run, type msconfig in the Open box, and then click OK.
2. On the General tab, click Selective Startup.
3. Under Selective Startup, click to clear the following check boxes:
• Process SYSTEM.INI File
• Process WIN.INI File
• Load Startup Items
4. On the Services tab, click to select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box, and then click Disable All.
5. Click OK, and then click Restart.

Can anyone tell me why I shouldn't demand my money back for this piece of sh!t?

birddog
5/13/2006, 09:26 PM
that's like me telling a customer "i may have wizzed in your brisket."

SicEmBaylor
5/13/2006, 09:32 PM
This MICROSOFT product won't run on my MICROSOFT Windows PC. It offers the suggestion that I try a "clean boot". Here's the error message:

Here's the planned fix:

Can anyone tell me why I shouldn't demand my money back for this piece of sh!t?

You'll never get your money back. Stores won't exchange games for money (I was told by a pimple faced Best Buy guy that it was against the law) they won't even give you in-store credit. All they'll apparently do is let you exchange that game for the exact same one.

OUDoc
5/13/2006, 09:34 PM
You'll never get your money back. Stores won't exchange games for money (I was told by a pimple faced Best Buy guy that it was against the law) they won't even give you in-store credit. All they'll apparently do is let you exchange that game for the exact same one.
Well then, can I count on you for bail money? I'll pay you back, I swear. ;)

SicEmBaylor
5/13/2006, 09:39 PM
Well then, can I count on you for bail money? I'll pay you back, I swear. ;)

Go on, I've got your back. :D

GottaHavePride
5/13/2006, 10:42 PM
While Halo does indeed rock, I can't see the point of playing it on a PC when there are perfectly good X-Boxes around.

PrideTuba
5/14/2006, 12:56 AM
With a little trickery you can take the game back. I bought Battlefield 1942 a few years ago, but my PC didnt have the right requirements to play it, so I tried taking it back. Well the people said they couldnt do anything but exchange it for the same game, even though they knew I couldnt run the game. Well what I did was take a piece of clear box tape and cut a circle out of it and resealed the box, had my friend take it back and I got my money back. So if all else fails you might try that.

Vaevictis
5/14/2006, 01:10 AM
Stores won't exchange games for money (I was told by a pimple faced Best Buy guy that it was against the law) they won't even give you in-store credit. All they'll apparently do is let you exchange that game for the exact same one.

Pimple faced best buy guy is a liar. They just don't want to do it because they're afraid of piracy.

Double check your EULA. Many of them include a clause which permits you to refuse the license and get a refund. If so, exercise your right to do so.

OUDoc
5/15/2006, 10:49 AM
I finally got it working. I had to delete some files out of the temp folder. Makes no sense to me, but it worked. :confused:

nanimonai
5/15/2006, 10:57 AM
While Halo does indeed rock, I can't see the point of playing it on a PC when there are perfectly good X-Boxes around.

Yep, spend two thousand bucks for a gaming PC that MAYBE will run your games smoothly or just pick up an Xbox.
I'm not much of a gamer though so what the heck do I know;)