PDA

View Full Version : Blake Griffin.....

Stanley1
5/13/2006, 07:32 PM
Verballed to OU today on his unofficial visit. Nice start to the '07 class with Griffin and Davis, as well as being high on the list of Plano, TX point guard John Roberson.

crawfish
5/13/2006, 07:53 PM
Well, he can kiss the McDonald's game goodbye. :)

Great news!

King Crimson
5/13/2006, 07:54 PM
awesome. Go Coach Capel.

william_brasky
5/13/2006, 09:16 PM
OUTSTANDING!!!

stoopified
5/13/2006, 09:31 PM
Excellent

oumartin
5/13/2006, 09:44 PM
his older brother must like coach C.
No, not coach Calvin but coach Capel.

birddog
5/13/2006, 09:49 PM
it's just a matter of time before players line up to play for capel. give him a season or 2 and we'll be forgetting about the guys who jumped ship.

SoonerShark
5/13/2006, 10:00 PM
Our new coach seems like a good guy. I would not mind being around him, other than the Duke Blue Satan thing. Hopefully the kids will like him for his energy at this time and for his ability in the long run. Can he actually coach? Other Dukies have not been that successful at coaching. Maybe one of them is due.

Of course, if JC does well here, Duke will come calling someday and he is out of here. Of course, Dean Smith was from KU and stayed at UNC forever.

TopDawg
5/13/2006, 10:20 PM
it's just a matter of time before players line up to play for capel. give him a season or 2 and we'll be forgetting about the guys who jumped ship.

What guys?

william_brasky
5/13/2006, 10:32 PM
He jumps so high that opponents get an eye level shot of his buttocks. :twinkies:

http://www.phog.tv/images/nextlevel2006/griffin2.jpg

birddog
5/13/2006, 10:35 PM
What guys?
good call.

CtheB
5/14/2006, 07:30 AM
I watched Blake in an AAU practice, and he is special. Big time win for Capel, as I know that UCLA drew more than a token interest.

william_brasky
5/14/2006, 11:05 PM
Imagine the brothers Griffin and Keith Clark all in the ball game at the same time here in a couple of years.

That makes me happy.

GDC
5/16/2006, 09:13 AM
Recruiting: Top state prep prospect opts for Sooners
By GUERIN EMIG World Sports Writer
5/16/2006

Griffin's verbal commitment bolsters new coach's future.
NORMAN -- The plan was for Blake Griffin to be in Lawrence, Kan., last weekend, to play a little AAU basketball inside Allen Fieldhouse.

Instead, the most sought-after high school player in Oklahoma for the class of 2007, decided to rest his aching knee and hang out over at Lloyd Noble Center.

Kansas' loss turned out to be OU's gain.

Saturday evening, Griffin shunned scholarship offers from the Kansas, Oklahoma State, Michigan State and Illinois, plus interest from Duke, North Carolina, Connecticut and Kentucky, and verbally committed to the Sooners.

"I really didn't plan on (committing)," said Griffin, a 6-foot-8, 230-pound senior-to-be at Oklahoma Christian School rated the No. 4 prep power forward nationally by Rivals. "But I felt like that was the place for me, and so did my family.

"It's a statement, a signature commitment that will hopefully get the ball rolling for (OU coach) Jeff Capel," said Jerry Meyer, Rivals' national recruiting analyst. "It gives him a five-star recruit on the heels of losing a lot of the guys from (Kelvin) Sampson's class."

When Sampson left for Indiana last

month, the Sooners lost 2006 signees Scottie Reynolds, Damion James and Jeremy Mayfield.

While Capel scrambles to reshape his '06 class, Griffin's commitment, along with that of Elk City guard Cade Davis two weeks ago, gives OU's new coach a running start for '07.

It also must give Capel some satisfaction knowing he finished what Sampson started.

"The first person to notice Blake last year was Coach Sampson," said Tommy Griffin, Blake's father and coach at Oklahoma Christian School. "Last spring, he said, 'Blake, I'm going to offer you (a scholarship) right now, because I know you're going to blow up next year.' And he was right."

Griffin had an eye-opening AAU summer circuit, then averaged 21 points, 13 rebounds and five assists as a junior on Oklahoma Christian School's third straight state championship team. That drew some major college attention.

Last April, Griffin showcased a well-rounded, hard-nosed style of play at national AAU tournaments in Houston and Hampton, Va. His stock soared, and coaches flocked.

Duke head coach Mike Krzyzewski called and told Griffin he reminded him of Shelden Williams. Florida coach Billy Donovan joined the recruiting race. So did Kentucky coach Tubby Smith and Texas coach Rick Barnes. Bill Self of Kansas, OSU's Sean Sutton, Michigan State coach Tom Izzo and Illinois' Bruce Weber entered a long time ago.

In the end, however, the Sooners held the trump card.

Capel.

"He charmed the basketball shorts off of Blake," Tommy Griffin said. And Taylor Griffin, the Sooners' forward and Blake's older brother.

"I talked to him quite a bit the past couple weeks. He had a pretty big influence on me," Blake said. "I trust him completely, and he thought (OU) would be a great place for me to go.

"We talked about Coach Capel and what they were doing. (Taylor) loves working with him and Coach (Mark) Cline. Every body's so excited.

"(Taylor) thinks they're in for a good season next year with or without those recruits."

It should be even better the season after next. By then, the Sooners will have weathered the Reynolds-James-Mayfield storm, with the Griffins playing together.

It's something everyone started thinking about last Saturday night.

"When I called and got the news, Blake and his brother were having dinner at Chili's," Tommy Griffin said. "They were celebrating."

Guerin Emig 581-8355
[email protected].

NormanPride
5/16/2006, 10:21 AM
I really think Capel won this one by winning over Taylor.

runner1182
5/16/2006, 10:28 AM
yeah taylor played a big role in this! so capel did a great job of winning over taylor and blake! brothers stick together just ask the brothers from ada! ;)

brown town sooner
5/17/2006, 10:09 PM
Capel also won this one over because the Davis kid from Elk City and B. Griffin are good friends and AAU teammates.

birddog
5/17/2006, 10:20 PM
i can't wait to see the new crop of players. sooner basketball is going to have a new look for the first time in 12 years. sounds like capel knows what he's doing.

knasmiley
5/18/2006, 07:30 PM
Nice pickup guys, Capel is righting the ship quickly for you guys. So congratulations and good luck next year, im sure you will have many more good recruits in 07 and we wish you luck. Thanks

Bleeding Hoosier Red in upstate ny

SoonerShark
5/19/2006, 02:29 AM
http://newsok.com/article/1847676/

Relationship with OU coach changed Griffin’s mind

By Brandon Chatmon
The Oklahoman

As recentas early May, the recruiting battle over Oklahoma Christian School forward Blake Griffin was “wide open”. Griffin said he wanted to visit many of the schools recruiting him - universities like Duke, North Carolina, Kansas and UConn.
Yet Griffin, a senior-to-be at OCS, committed to play basketball at Oklahoma on May 13.

What changed?

Simply put, it was the combination of a great relationship with new Oklahoma coach Jeff Capel and a growing weariness with the recruiting process.

“At first, I figured I’d wait until the end of the summer,” said Griffin, who is widely regarded as the top junior in the state. “It got to a point where I was getting kind of tired (of the recruiting process) and I was leaning toward OU. I went down and hung out with coach (Mark) Kline and coach Capel. As I was sitting there, talking to coach Capel, I realized that’s where I want to be. I felt completely comfortable with what they had to offer and what they had to say.”

Above all, it was his relationship with Capel that made Griffin decide he didn’t need to explore any other options.

“Coach Capel and I have a lot in common,” Griffin said. “It’s like he’s one of my teammates. If he was my age, he’d probably be one of my best friends. We share common interests and passion for basketball. His love of the game is so high, he’s just fun to be around.”

Did the rumor of OCS head coach and Blake’s father Tommy being added to the coaching staff at Oklahoma have anything to do with Blake’s change of heart?

“A lot of people are saying that, but my dad hasn’t heard anything,” Griffin said. “So far, those are just rumors. That’s not the reason I committed, I just felt OU was the right place for me.”

Added to the equation is the opportunity to stay close to home and play with his big brother, Taylor - a freshman forward for the Sooners last season.

“My brother said he’d love to play with me again,” said Griffin, who is ranked No. 18 on the Rivals Top 150 players in the nation. “I think once we start playing together, people will see that we bring different things to the table. I’m not just a younger version of him.”

Ultimately, though, it is the idea of playing for Capel that excited Blake Griffin enough to make him orally commit to Oklahoma. When asked if he would have committed if Kelvin Sampson was still in Norman, Blake was hesitant.

“I’m not sure,” he said. “I like Coach Sampson, don’t get me wrong, it’s just a little different with Coach Capel. I probably would rather play Coach Capel’s style. He wants his players to actually be players, not just play a position. He wants his big men to be able to handle the ball and shoot. And he loves to run.”

It’s hard to imagine turning down the likes of Duke, North Carolina and UConn for an Oklahoma, a school known for its football prowess. Yet that’s exactly what Griffin did.

“We’re trying to change that,” Griffin said. “OU football has had a lot of success. Coach Capel is trying to build something like that and win a national championship. If we do that, people will stop talking about how much of a football school OU is.

“I’m just looking to change that, change people’s minds and give people a different view of OU basketball.”