PDA

View Full Version : Katie Couric last night

walkoffsooner
5/13/2006, 07:46 AM
Did a great job at graduation.Was there any other sf members there?

VeeJay
5/13/2006, 08:31 AM
Any raspy voiced smokers' giggling?

That's what I would have gone for.

Okla-homey
5/13/2006, 09:07 AM
I read in the paper up here the crowd thought she did a good job and she got two standing o's. Apparently, she's donating her 100K+ honoraria to cancer research.

VeeJay
5/13/2006, 10:18 AM
Apparently, she's donating her 100K+ honoraria to cancer research.

If true, a great gesture on her part.

sooneron
5/13/2006, 10:21 AM
I can't believe that we stooped so low to have someone like that leftist hollyweird elite bitch speak at our beloved school's commencement! I bet she was spreading her left wing agenda!

King Crimson
5/13/2006, 10:25 AM
that "affable Eva Braun of morning TV".....said the author of a book called Slander, ironically. but as Machiavelli advises the prince: accuse your enemies of what you do.

vapid and chirpy perhaps, but a Nazi? hmmmm....probably a commie too. the affable Rosa Luxembourg or morning TV?

sanantoniosooner
5/13/2006, 10:28 AM
Katie Couric last night
Dear Wasted magazine........I never thought this would happen to me.....

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
5/13/2006, 11:23 AM
I can't believe that we stooped so low to have someone like that leftist hollyweird elite bitch speak at our beloved school's commencement! I bet she was spreading her left wing agenda!Could somebody post a transcript of her speech, pls.?

proud gonzo
5/13/2006, 12:09 PM
i don't have a transcript but it was a very nice speech. Yes, she is donating her money to cancer research (in her sister's honor)

she was witty, inspiring, and eloquent. And she made fun of OSU.

BigRedJed
5/13/2006, 12:15 PM
...And she made fun of OSU.
Oof.

dolemitesooner
5/13/2006, 12:16 PM
She still sucks the **** and ballsa

Scott D
5/13/2006, 12:20 PM
She still sucks the **** and ballsa

something you and her have in common

:eddie:

NYSooner1355
5/13/2006, 12:28 PM
I can't believe that we stooped so low to have someone like that leftist hollyweird elite bitch speak at our beloved school's commencement! I bet she was spreading her left wing agenda!

yeah, can you believe that, and all I'm going to get to hear is Hillary Clinton speak to us tomorrow at Long Island University

dolemitesooner
5/13/2006, 12:28 PM
:eddie:
:mad:

Jimminy Crimson
5/13/2006, 01:04 PM
yeah, can you believe that, and all I'm going to get to hear is Hillary Clinton speak to us tomorrow at Long Island University

:eek:

Give me Katie Couric any day over that broad.

MamaMia
5/13/2006, 01:30 PM
i don't have a transcript but it was a very nice speech. Yes, she is donating her money to cancer research (in her sister's honor)

What did she say about OSU? It would have been better if she would have made fun of Texas.

proud gonzo
5/13/2006, 01:41 PM
I thought there was a texas comment but I don't remember. SHe was quoting something Dubya said when he was speaking at lesser university or something like that.

handcrafted
5/13/2006, 01:44 PM

One gold star for that. :D

Okla-homey
5/13/2006, 01:49 PM
Allegedly she referred to Harvard as the "OU of the northeast."

Reportedly, upon hearing that, Gov Boren sported wood which tented his academic gown.;)

handcrafted
5/13/2006, 01:52 PM
Allegedly she referred to Harvard as the "OU of the northeast."

Reportedly, upon hearing that, Gov Boren sported wood which tented his academic gown.;)

He would. :D

I'm gratified that Katie felt the need to pander. It shows that her nose (button-cute as it is) is not as far into the stratosphere as I thought it was.

Okla-homey
5/13/2006, 01:55 PM
He would. :D

I'm gratified that Katie felt the need to pander. It shows that her nose (button-cute as it is) is not as far into the stratosphere as I thought it was.

yeah, and that's a major achievement for a diabetic. Just saying.;)

5/13/2006, 02:15 PM
OK, let's make with the speech transcript, already.

MamaMia
5/13/2006, 02:35 PM
OK, let's make with the speech transcript, already.You post it for us. I'll help by making a suggestion. :D

Check out the Norman Transcript, afterall, the speech was in Norman and they are named the "Transcript."

StoopTroup
5/13/2006, 02:38 PM
I think she's terrific...:D

http://www.strangepolitics.com/images/content/3568.jpg

5/13/2006, 02:48 PM
You post it for us. I'll help by making a suggestion. :D

Check out the Norman Transcript, afterall, the speech was in Norman and they are named the "Transcript."Their dot com yielded the following:
Can-do Couric

The Norman Transcript

CBS anchor encourages hard work, awareness, perseverance

By Althea Peterson

Transcript Staff Writer

When addressing graduates, television anchor Katie Couric chose to compare her situation with theirs Friday night.

Laughter, inspiration and encouragement filled Oklahoma Memorial Stadium as Couric reflected on her career and life, while using it as an example of what the University of Oklahoma 2006 graduates will face in their own lives.

"Right now, we're about in the same boat, about to step out into the next moment of our lives," Couric said, referring to her new position as a CBS news anchor. "I'm getting ready to say good-bye to the world I've known. A ship is always safe in the harbor, but that's not what it's meant to do."

Couric recalled how she first got an internship at ABC, but she said it wasn't easy once she was there. After a poor initial showing, it would have been easy to give up, she said.

"I was told that I would never make it in TV news," Couric said. "Just where I got the confidence to stay on track, I don't know."

However, she said those who put "hurdles" in her way just made her stronger and work harder, which she encouraged graduates to do as they look to advance their careers.

"If you skip that keg party to go the extra mile at work, you'll probably feel better in the morning," Couric said, drawing laughter.

OU President David Boren said one of the most distinguishing parts of Couric's career was putting herself through colonoscopy on camera. This segment, "Confronting Colon Cancer," won a Peabody Award and led to a 20 percent increase in colon cancer screenings across the country.

Couric said she was inspired to do this after her husband died of colon cancer. She said she was more proud of the effect of the segment than any of her other journalism awards.

"If that is my legacy, I have in fact left a small impact on the world," Couric said. "All my professional accomplishments pale in comparison."

Boren said this act, along with more than 30 years of journalistic integrity, made her a worthy recipient of an honorary doctorate.

"We appreciate your use of your position to bring a positive effect to society," Boren said.

Couric also joked with graduates about her newfound knowledge of an Oklahoma "Sooner."

"But who am I to question your mascot? My university's mascot is the Wahoo, a fish capable of drinking twice its weight. In retrospect, it's quite appropriate," Couric said, drawing gradual laughter once again.

She also mentioned that when her co-host of NBC's Today show, Matt Lauer, learned she would be speaking at OU, he thought it was his alma mater, Ohio University.

"I assured his this was the OU, and this 'O' stood for Oklahoma," Couric said, drawing applause.

Finally, Couric emphasized the importance of acceptance and awareness of others and the world, despite difficult moments such as the 1995 Oklahoma City bombing and 9/11 attacks.

"The world is a scary place, but it is filled with peace loving, law abiding people. We are so much more alike than different. Celebrate our differences, but celebrate what unites us as well."

With a backdrop reminiscent of the arches around the North and South Ovals, Boren gave honorary doctorates to Couric, former Joint Chiefs of Staff Adm. W.J. Crowe and philanthropist Cy Wagner. Boren said that while Horace Calvert and Marilyn Horne could not attend the commencement, Horne would receive her honorary degree next year, while Calvert's two daughters accepted the honorary degree on his behalf.

According to a release, the spring 2006 ceremony included 4,158 bachelor's graduates, 1,672 master's graduates, 188 doctoral graduates and 626 professional graduates, for a total of 6,644 graduates. Fifty-nine of these graduates achieved perfect 4.0 grade point averages, 42 or whom are from Oklahoma.

The ceremony included a prelude by the University Chamber Ensemble and a processional by The Pipes and Drums of the Highlanders, ending with "Boomer Sooner" on the bagpipes. The Kiowa Black Leggings Society presented the colors during the national anthem.

Althea Peterson 366-3539 [email protected]

Boren thinks she has "30 years of journalistic integrity." I would like his definition of that. Consistency, maybe. Now, OUSAEMom, can you find the actual transcript? Look on OU web sites, and post.

proud gonzo
5/13/2006, 04:13 PM
Boren commented after Katie Couric finished speaking that it's not often he asks to kiss the commencement speaker, but he enjoyed that privilege this year.

HEH

TopDawg
5/13/2006, 10:36 PM
I enjoyed it.

5/13/2006, 11:44 PM
I enjoyed it.What did you enjoy?

Ike
5/14/2006, 03:17 AM
I was there for my sisters graduation. It was a good speech for the occasion really. No real effort spent to politicize anything, and instead she tried to genuinely impart a few nuggets of wisdom to the graduates and to remind them that they are living through historical times, and that their work, large or small, will help shape the world we live in...

seriously, it was a great commencement speech.

AlbqSooner
5/14/2006, 08:24 AM
No real effort spent to politicize anything, and instead she tried to genuinely impart a few nuggets of wisdom to the graduates and to remind them that they are living through historical times, and that their work, large or small, will help shape the world we live in...

seriously, it was a great commencement speech.
Unlike when John Kenneth Galbraith was the commencement speaker in '74.

BajaOklahoma
5/14/2006, 08:51 AM
In 76, it was F Lee Bailey. I sat through that one for my future husband.
As a result, I did not go to mine when it came up.

Flagstaffsooner
5/14/2006, 09:04 AM
What did she say about the agras?

starclassic tama
5/14/2006, 11:12 AM
Adrian Peterson 366-3539 [email protected]

somebody call him and ask him why it's A.D. when his initials are A.P.!

TopDawg
5/14/2006, 06:09 PM
What did you enjoy?

The whole ceremony was good. Ike summed up the speech pretty well, but I also enjoyed the rest of the festivities.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
5/14/2006, 06:24 PM
Last year it was John McCain. I looked forward to it because I like McCain, but it became a rah-rah speech for W and the war. Sounds like she at least made it applicable to the graduates.