PDA

View Full Version : The Bird Flu Threat?

dolemitesooner
5/12/2006, 03:00 PM
Is this **** really going to happen?

Here is the reason I ask.
As many of you know I work at the Marriot at the NCED.
Our building is owned by the United States Goverment and we are managed by Marriott. Yesterday we recevied a shipment of over 100,000 masks for "precautionary reasons" concerning the bird flu. It was made mandatory that the site bring them in per the Postal Officals at the NCED. I am assuming that they were told to get them by someone who knows more than they do.

Working in purchashing I saw and knew about them coming in. Over 100, 000 masks is alot of ****ing masks for somthing that "may" happen.

So I ask is this whole bird flu thing going to happen of is it a bunch of overhyped media bul****.

BlondeSoonerGirl
5/12/2006, 03:01 PM
See what Dean says.

Oh, and if it hits you it hits me - I'm right down the street.

DANG.

Osce0la
5/12/2006, 03:02 PM
Is this **** really going to happen?

Here is the reason I ask.
As many of you know I work at the Marriot at the NCED.
Our building is owned by the United States Goverment and we are managed by Marriott. Yesterday we recevied a shipment of over 100,000 masks for "precautionary reasons" concerning the bird flu. It was made mandatory that the site bring them in per the Postal Officals at the NCED. I am assuming that they were told to get them by someone who knows more than they do.

Working in purchashing I saw and knew about them coming in. Over 100, 000 masks is alot of ****ing masks for somthing that "may" happen.

So I ask is this whole bird flu thing going to happen of is it a bunch of overhyped media bul****.
overhyped.

media.

bull****.

Petro-Sooner
5/12/2006, 03:02 PM
overhyped media.........

dolemitesooner
5/12/2006, 03:03 PM
Dean might know somthing about it.

I am talking 5 ****ing pallets of masks. It was a **** load

OUDoc
5/12/2006, 03:18 PM
overhyped.

media.

bull****.
That's what I think, BUT the media will get something right eventually. Hope this isn't it.

yermom
5/12/2006, 03:20 PM
i wonder how many people would have died from SARS if it wasn't "overhyped"

Osce0la
5/12/2006, 03:23 PM
OK, so there's the one thing they got right.

Bird Flu is nothing to worry about.

Fugue
5/12/2006, 03:23 PM
well typed.

media.

bull****.

wurd

dolemitesooner
5/12/2006, 03:29 PM
I think we are all going to die

Stoop Dawg
5/12/2006, 03:29 PM

I'm not certain, but it sounds like you're comparing SARS to Bird Flu. If so, I think you should re-think that one.

Bird Flu could be bad IF it mutates to where it can be transmitted human-to-human. Since they started tracking Bird Flu NINE YEARS AGO there has been no indication of such a mutation.

So the current situation is this: don't mess around with disease-ridden birds.

Osce0la
5/12/2006, 03:30 PM
Or people

slickdawg
5/12/2006, 03:31 PM
media bull****.

LilSooner
5/12/2006, 03:34 PM
Unfortunately its not just the gummit, all hospitals are stocking up on isolation gowns, latex gloves, and masks.

C&CDean
5/12/2006, 03:38 PM
Hell yes. And why not? The last time the gummint got caught with their britches down was Katrina. By Gawd not this time. A mask for every swingin' dick out there. Gloves and a gown too. Cause we all know paper masks stop everything..........

Oh, and media bull****.

dolemitesooner
5/12/2006, 03:39 PM
It was not just paper masks we got in

yermom
5/12/2006, 03:39 PM
I'm not certain, but it sounds like you're comparing SARS to Bird Flu. If so, I think you should re-think that one.

Bird Flu could be bad IF it mutates to where it can be transmitted human-to-human. Since they started tracking Bird Flu NINE YEARS AGO there has been no indication of such a mutation.

stranger things have happened... i'm not stocking up on water and masks under my bed or anything, but it seems a bit hasty to just shrug it off as media bull****

dolemitesooner
5/12/2006, 03:41 PM
**** stocking up...hell yes i am

When mad cow was around I did not eat beef for 2 and half years

Gandalf_The_Grey
5/12/2006, 03:44 PM
Well I died from Sars...West Nile Virus...The killer ants and bees from Mexico, anything I missed that we are all going to die from...oh Anthrax!

LilSooner
5/12/2006, 03:59 PM
Just so you know I'm stocking up on N95 partical masks and isolation gowns. I'm gonna start an online bizzness and make BILLIONS!

and by billions I mean nothing because we aren't gonna get hit with no bird flu.

yermom
5/12/2006, 04:02 PM
obviously we don't have to get hit by it for people to buy it ;)

you just need to know someone that works at a federal building/hotel thingy

dolemitesooner
5/12/2006, 04:05 PM
like me

Sooner_Bob
5/12/2006, 05:39 PM
With the migratory patterns of birds it will eventually find it's way to the states.

We're actually putting together response plans and encouraging tribes in the state to do the same.

If you want some real facts visit www.pandemicflu.gov and browse the info there.

OUDoc
5/12/2006, 07:13 PM
This is how I'll deal with those damn birds.

http://www.usna.edu/Users/history/scallaha/USMC-HC_files/Solomons%20Flamethrower.jpg

Or maybe a 9-iron. :D

Gandalf_The_Grey
5/12/2006, 07:16 PM
This is how I'll deal with those damn birds.

http://www.usna.edu/Users/history/scallaha/USMC-HC_files/Solomons%20Flamethrower.jpg

It's hard to take your opinion seriously...I mean what do you think you are...a doctor or something!!

OUDoc
5/12/2006, 07:49 PM
In all seriousness, it seems (IMO) everyone's blowing this way out of proportion, just like the "flesh-eating bacteria", anthrax, "killer pit bulls" and "Fat like me". They all exist, but aren't beating down your door to kill you. Very few people have died from avian influenza relative to the world's population. If you get it, it's pretty fatal (~50%). Until/if it can learn to travel person-to-person, it's less of a pandemic threat.

CONFIRMED and REPORTED cases- 208.
Deaths- 115.
http://www.info.gov.hk/info/flu/eng/global.htm
World population- 6,515,501,154.
http://www.census.gov/ipc/www/world.html
Seems like a small number of cases and deaths to me. I'll worry if it ever really takes off. It is great that others are watching out for us, it's never too early to think about it. The current reality is: It's not an immediate threat.

Gandalf_The_Grey
5/12/2006, 07:57 PM
Plus I would like to know where those 115 deaths are...Probably East Crapzackastan!

Penguin
5/12/2006, 08:48 PM
media bull****

But, just in case, I'm loading up on plastic sheets and duct tape. I'm also going to start stocking up on gas masks. (http://cgi.ebay.com/Russian-GP-5-Gas-Mask-Size-L-Nuke-Chem-Bio-Flu-NIB-NR_W0QQitemZ6628044053QQcategoryZ135QQrdZ1QQcmdZVi ewItem)

sooner_born_1960
5/12/2006, 09:06 PM
I hope something comes of this one. I still got all that duct tape left over from the anthrax threat.

OKC Sooner
5/12/2006, 09:24 PM
I'm not worried yet. If Halliburton suddenly decides to get into the flu innoculation business, however, I'll start to be concerned.

opksooner
5/12/2006, 09:27 PM
Not to worry. W has the situation well in hand. He is going to bomb the Canary Islands. Turkey is next.

Don't worry 'bout nuthin, cause nuthin's gonna be all right. Oh.....wait...........

......never mind.

proud gonzo
5/12/2006, 10:52 PM
dude, didn't you hear? the bird flu's already hitting trailer parks

http://img133.imageshack.us/img133/2885/birdflutrailerpark1zf.png

Melo
5/13/2006, 12:39 AM

:eek:

:mad: :mad: