PDA

View Full Version : 'American Idol' voting mix-up?

SeattleOUstudent
5/12/2006, 12:36 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12748906/

"American Idol" sent rocker Chris Daughtry home Wednesday night, but Daughtry's fans aren't quite ready to let him go. At least one online petition, with more than 16,000 names attached, is calling for a recount of the "American Idol" votes.

MSNBC.com has received numerous e-mails and bulletin board posts claiming that voters who dialed the first of Daughtry's two phone numbers were greeted by a recorded message from "Idol" singer Katharine McPhee, thanking the caller for voting for her. According to Wednesday night's show, McPhee received the second-lowest number of votes, after Daughtry. The Associated Press cited Tracey Adams, a family friend of Daughtry's, saying that fans from his North Carolina hometown were among those who heard another contestant's voice when calling for Daughtry.

One fan who wrote to MSNBC.com said: "They had another voting mess-up. When I called to vote for Chris, Katharine says Thanks for voting for me. I thought I dialed the wrong number, so I tried again to hear Katharine, again. People were trying to vote for Chris...not Katharine! That's why Chris went home......GRRRR...REDO please!”

Other voters claimed that they were able to get through on both of Daughtry's numbers and heard his voice, not McPhee's. Still others said that despite calling solidly for two hours, they were never able to get through and place a vote for Daughtry.

FOX was not able to immediately respond to a request for comment Friday morning.

Bulletin boards, of course, also offer up their share of inaccurate information. Some Thursday and Friday postings claimed that Ryan Seacrest had made an announcement that he had read incorrect phone numbers, and that because of this, Daughtry would be returned to the show. A replay of the Tuesday-night show does not appear to show any incorrect numbers given, nor has Daughtry been returned to the show as of late Thursday.

The news wasn't all bad for Daughtry this week. Thursday night he was offered a job with the band Fuel. Bass player Jeff Abercrombie and guitarist Carl Bell made their pitch on the TV show “Extra.”

“Chris, if you are watching, we’ve talked about this before, and if you want to entertain it again we’ll take it and go,” Abercrombie said. The buzz around Daughtry for weeks has been that he could end up the band’s lead singer. He performed the band’s song “Hemorrhage” on a recent “Idol” show. “Daughtry did not appear to respond to the band’s offer. His wife, Deanna, has been quoted as saying she’s not sure what her husband will decide.

pb4ou
5/12/2006, 12:38 PM
For some reason there is something familar about all this...

pb4ou
5/12/2006, 12:38 PM
hanging chads maybe?

Jimminy Crimson
5/12/2006, 12:41 PM
hanging chads maybe?

Hanging Daughtrys? :confused: ;)

Okla-homey
5/12/2006, 12:41 PM
hanging chads maybe?

naw, they got rid of Chad in week two.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
5/12/2006, 12:47 PM
naw, they hung Chad in week two.improved

SeattleOUstudent
5/12/2006, 12:51 PM
Id be puh-issed

BigRedJed
5/12/2006, 12:55 PM
hanging chads maybe?
Wha...?

Jimminy Crimson
5/12/2006, 12:58 PM
Wha...?

:les: NEWS TO YOU!

OU-HSV
5/12/2006, 06:45 PM
So has anyone heard if Chris took the Fuel offer??

Osce0la
5/12/2006, 07:27 PM
So has anyone heard if Chris took the Fuel offer??
he hasn't said yet

OU-HSV
5/12/2006, 07:40 PM
he hasn't said yet
Cool, thanks. All I know is that wherever he goes, I'm buying the album.

handcrafted
5/12/2006, 09:09 PM
Here is one music fan who will start buying Fuel CDs if he takes the job.

Chris should just short-circuit this whole mess, and become the new Fuel frontman. No voting controversy, no mess, no nuthin'. Just rock.

Scott D
5/12/2006, 09:12 PM
seriously, this was the best thing for him..being the winner of AI has got to be the lamest job in this country..outside of the guy who cleans out garbage trucks.

Kimberlyz4OU
5/12/2006, 09:37 PM
I lub Chris.......I'm in on the new album, Fuel or not, AND he will have one!

OU-HSV
5/12/2006, 10:23 PM
seriously, this was the best thing for him..being the winner of AI has got to be the lamest job in this country..outside of the guy who cleans out garbage trucks.
:O

j/k :D

booomer
5/13/2006, 01:00 AM
Wow, Fuel! He should take it and flush AI (assuming there really is a mixup and he is invited back!)

I loved his version of "Hemorrhage."

SCOUT
5/13/2006, 01:21 AM
If you think about it, this could be a win-win situation. Honestly the general audience for AI is not a typical Fuel fan. AI probably wants a different winner so they can market their pop music through their new voice. Chris didn't fit that mold.

If you were Chris, would you rather be the lead singer of Fuel with no restrictions or tied to AI for 2-3 years.

Both parties win and it wouldn't surprise me if it were arranged.

Okla-homey
5/13/2006, 06:19 AM
Honestly the general audience for AI is not a typical Fuel fan. AI probably wants a different winner so they can market their pop music through their new voice. Chris didn't fit that mold.

Of course the same thing could be said of the morbidly obese Ruben Studdard who hasn't been heard from since he won...

BTW, if Taylor wins, they oughtta just rename it Alabaman Idol -- '04 winner Ruben, '05 finalist Bo Bice, '06 winner Taylor Hicks. All from Birmingham.

http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/6577/zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz25.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
Birmingham loves its AI!

Dio
5/13/2006, 11:17 AM
Fuel gig > AI

Osce0la
5/13/2006, 11:46 AM
Of course the same thing could be said of the morbidly obese Ruben Studdard who hasn't been heard from since he won...

BTW, if Taylor wins, they oughtta just rename it Alabaman Idol -- '04 winner Ruben, '05 finalist Bo Bice, '06 winner Taylor Hicks. All from Birmingham.

http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/6577/zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz25.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
Birmingham loves its AI!
I think Ruben was '03, I believe Fantasia won it in '04.

I feel bad for even knowing that :(

Scott D
5/13/2006, 11:52 AM
That chick in the white tee needs to be led out to the pasture to graze...ywia.

Okla-homey
5/13/2006, 02:09 PM
I think Ruben was '03, I believe Fantasia won it in '04.

I feel bad for even knowing that :(

You are correct sir. Forgot about Fantasia. Perhaps b/c she didn't amount to squat.

Scott D
5/13/2006, 05:16 PM
more like her album didn't appeal to non urban audiences.

Okla-homey
5/13/2006, 05:23 PM
more like her album didn't appeal to non urban audiences.

Well sir, its 'sposed to be "American" Idol, not "Urban" or "Country" Idol. Nevertheless, folks who excel in a particular genre do win. The two who've made it big have had crossover appeal.

jk the sooner fan
5/13/2006, 05:25 PM
more like her screaming voice didn't appeal to people with ears

fixed it for you

Scott D
5/13/2006, 05:27 PM
Eh...because Clarkson plays bland pop so it's more of an appealing to everybody by appealing to nobody kind of thing. The problem is that there isn't really a good way of judging the careers of those whom appear on the show. It could be argued that William Hung is still the most famous person to ever be on AI.

Scott D
5/13/2006, 05:28 PM
fixed it for you

Eh, outside of one song I have never listened to her album, I didn't watch that show then either. However, I know that she had two or three songs that got heavy rotation on urban stations from her album.

jk the sooner fan
5/13/2006, 05:30 PM
eventually the urbanites will get tired of that screaming voice...she doesnt sing, she screams

when its all said and done, carrie underwood will be the one with the longest most successful career....

Scott D
5/13/2006, 05:36 PM
eventually the urbanites will get tired of that screaming voice...she doesnt sing, she screams

when its all said and done, carrie underwood will be the one with the longest most successful career....

I doubt it, it'll likely be someone who got bounced before the final two in any season that'll likely have the longest most successful career.