PDA

View Full Version : HEY LAWYERS!

TUSooner
5/12/2006, 09:56 AM
I'm at a CLE. The panel includes some big-time jury consultants, including a lady hired by Michael Jackson and some guys involved with Enron (or something).

It's a bit interesting, but, like 99% of CLE, totally irrelevant to my work. Thankfully, the W hotel has groovy wireless innerweb so I can goof off efficiently, and even do some work.

BTW - they agree that written jury questionnaires are good because potrential jurors are not truthful at voir dire.

I think the lady nexxt to me is reading this.

Viking Kitten
5/12/2006, 09:59 AM
HEY LADY NEXT TO TU:

MIND YOUR BUSINESS.

olevetonahill
5/12/2006, 10:01 AM
Is she HAWT

TUSooner
5/12/2006, 10:01 AM
HEY LADY NEXT TO TU:

MIND YOUR BUSINESS.
You made me SNORT out loud (but nothing came out of my nose)! :D :D

TUSooner
5/12/2006, 10:03 AM
Is she HAWT
She seems "pleasant" at least.

Hatfield
5/12/2006, 10:06 AM
is pleasant code for frumpy and insecure?

TUSooner
5/12/2006, 10:06 AM
Expert: Jurors 27 and younger are much less concerned with civil liberties than older jurors. Very interesting !

(In civil case, they - generally - seem most likely to side with defendants.)

TUSooner
5/12/2006, 10:09 AM
Tthe Expert also says that younger jurors have "CSI Symdrome" - they want to see the DNA and cool forensic stuff. Apparently they also like graphics and despie "technological troglodytes." Luddites, too, I suppose.

Pleasant - as in OK. no more, no less

TUSooner
5/12/2006, 10:10 AM
is pleasant code for frumpy and insecure?
ehhh maybe

olevetonahill
5/12/2006, 10:18 AM
ehhh maybe
then we dont want pics

Viking Kitten
5/12/2006, 10:20 AM
Does Louisiana not offer CLE that's in any way relevant to what you do? :D

Viking Kitten
5/12/2006, 10:28 AM
Because, knowing what you do and all, I'm thinking the only time you ever see a jury is when you watch reruns of Matlock.

TUSooner
5/12/2006, 10:36 AM
then we dont want pics
You don't.

TUSooner
5/12/2006, 10:41 AM
Because, knowing what you do and all, I'm thinking the only time you ever see a jury is when you watch reruns of Matlock.

actually, the last jury I saw was on Law & Order. :D

I never tried a case, but I helped another lawyer on one, and I saw 1 or 2 small cases when I clerked at the USDC - EDLA.

The next session is "Trial Presentation Technology" <yawn>

Viking Kitten
5/12/2006, 10:46 AM
Why in the name of all things holy would you take this particular CLE? Are you late for 2005 or something?

frankensooner
5/12/2006, 10:51 AM
Heck that sounds like an Interesting CLE, I usually get mine out of the way at the Sovereignty Symposium, I've gone for the last 3 or 4 years.

TUSooner
5/12/2006, 10:54 AM
Why in the name of all things holy would you take this particular CLE? Are you late for 2005 or something?
It's cheap, convenient, and it least it has SOMETHING to do with criminal law. And I think we get lunch ;)

Our court usually puts on a big CLE in February that takes care of all our CLE requirements and has some relevance. Katrina screwed that up this year, so we had to look elsewhere. There are a few criminal-law things out there that are a little helpful. And every year the Federal Judicial Center puts out a good broadcast of the a summary of the Supreme Court term. We get CLE credit for that.

Now they're showing us some examples of incriminating emails....neato

OCUDad
5/12/2006, 10:57 AM
Aren't there antibiotics available to prevent CLE?

Hatfield
5/12/2006, 11:02 AM
lots of prosecutors are hating on the csi effect. making their job much more difficult in that they aren't operating in hollywood fantasy land.

TUSooner
5/12/2006, 11:04 AM
lots of prosecutors are hating on the csi effect. making their job much more difficult in that they aren't operating in hollywood fantasy land.
Are you here in this room?

TUSooner
5/12/2006, 11:17 AM
Latest lesson: Virtually everything you do on a computer is traceable. (Not new, but still...)
Corollary - Using "Evidience Elimnator" software right after your computer is subpoenaed is not smart. :)

Hatfield
5/12/2006, 11:18 AM
Are you here in this room?

see that fat guy with glass over your right shoulder.....

that isn't me.

TUSooner
5/12/2006, 11:58 AM
They are showing some pretty cool stuff about how they traced McVeigh after the Bombing. There were some chilling shots of the Ryder truck across from another building until it was moved to the Murrah Bldg just 5 minutes before 9:02.

TUSooner
5/12/2006, 12:01 PM
Really neat how they used technology to cut & paste letters to show that McVeigh was the "Robert D. Kling" who rented the truck.

Okla-homey
5/12/2006, 12:40 PM
Please raise your hand and ask him if jurors pay any attention to instructions from the judge or if they have already made their mind up when hizzoner holds forth.

I have a theory that the whole juror instruction dealio is a collossal waste of everyone's time.

TIA

TexasLidig8r
5/12/2006, 12:43 PM
A jury wants to be entertained now. (thank you friggin The Practice and Boston Legal). They want to be shown graphics and powerpoint programs and exciting closing arguments.

Okla-homey
5/12/2006, 12:51 PM
A jury wants to be entertained now. (thank you friggin The Practice and Boston Legal). They want to be shown graphics and powerpoint programs and exciting closing arguments.

...and cleavage. Don't forget the cleavage.

TUSooner
5/12/2006, 01:50 PM
Good lunch, better lunchtime speaker: LCDR Charles Swift, JAG, USN. He's the lawyer for Hamdan in Hamdan v Rumsfeld which challenges the military tribunal dealio. Now we're on to a review of some SCOTUS cases frm thge past year.

TUSooner
5/12/2006, 03:28 PM
Please raise your hand and ask him if jurors pay any attention to instructions from the judge or if they have already made their mind up when hizzoner holds forth.

I have a theory that the whole juror instruction dealio is a collossal waste of everyone's time.

TIA
I didn't ask, but the subject came up in a joking fashion concerning an instruction that the jury shouod "unhear" some evidence or consider it only for some other purpose. Many chuckles were heard.

Got a USMC JAG dude talking about military law & the death penalty

TUSooner
5/12/2006, 06:13 PM
7.5 hours of CLE in the books.

It's not quite as fun as it sounds.

:rolleyes:

Thus ends one of the dullest threads evar.

AlbqSooner
5/12/2006, 10:08 PM
Aren't there antibiotics available to prevent CLE?
Licensed in Florida, living in New Mexico, not practicing in Florida during the year = immune from CLE. I ain't the heat, it's the humidity.