PDA

View Full Version : Destin

Hamhock
5/12/2006, 09:16 AM
Taking the family there in a few weeks.

What should we do there? (besides the ocean)

critical_phil
5/12/2006, 09:17 AM
ahhhh, my old stomping grounds.

if you're taking the fam, i have no suggestions other than the beach.

Hamhock
5/12/2006, 09:20 AM
ahhhh, my old stomping grounds.

if you're taking the fam, i have no suggestions other than the beach.

thanks. very helpful

I hope this thread proves 1/2 as useful as my thread about tankless hot water heaters.

OKLA21FAN
5/12/2006, 09:27 AM
the navel air station in pensacola has a really nice museum if you are into vintage military aricraft.

http://naval.aviation.museum/museum.html

also that is home of the blue angels, i am not sure which days of the month, but they give free practice demonstrations.

if you are trying to save a buck, and need a kill an afternoon it might be something fun to do.

oumartin
5/12/2006, 09:32 AM
i was gonna say the naval air station as well. Although I've never been I've heard its a good place to visit.
I've never been to destin but hear its lovely. We did navarre beach and so far my kids and wife like it better than anything with disney in it.

critical_phil
5/12/2006, 09:40 AM
thanks. very helpful

I hope this thread proves 1/2 as useful as my thread about tankless hot water heaters.

well, you said family.

is that mrs. hock? mrs. hock and hocklings? your grandparents?

destin is a great place to dive, play golf, fish, and eat. if you're into it, it's also a great place to get lit up and laid (just a vague recollection). how many of those things can you do with the fam?

enjoy the seafood....

Hamhock
5/12/2006, 11:22 AM
This was dangerously close to going to page 2.

I know there are tons of people who want to help, but will lose the opportunity if it falls into page 2 abyss.

ywia

Okla-homey
5/12/2006, 12:47 PM
the navel air station in pensacola has a really nice museum if you are into vintage military aricraft.

http://naval.aviation.museum/museum.html

also that is home of the blue angels, i am not sure which days of the month, but they give free practice demonstrations.

if you are trying to save a buck, and need a kill an afternoon it might be something fun to do.

ditto, although I assume its re-opened after the thrashing it took from katrina.

also aboard NAS Pensacola, and lots of turistas don't know it, Fort Barrancas NHS. Its polly the best preserved 19th century masonry fort in North America. Kids will dig it too. Very cool.

Okla-homey
5/12/2006, 12:50 PM
I almost forgot, check out the outlet shops at nearby Sandestin. Unlike many so-called outlet malls where all they have is towels and plates, this place has some great chit cheap...Bose, Brooks Bros, Dooney&Burke, etc.

White House Boy
5/12/2006, 12:54 PM
There are MANY great places to eat in Destin: Chops, SeaGars, Beach Walk Cafe, Marlin Grille, Marina Cafe, Ruth's Chris Steakhouse, Rutherfords, etc.

If you like to golf, Destin is loaded with good courses. Regatta Bay has an excellent course.

There are also many upscale shopping centers, Bay Towne, Silver Sands, and Destin Commons. At Destin Commons there is also a Bass Pro Shop, and they have a Rave Theatre there if you want to catch a flick.

You also will find the customary tourist go-cart/video arcade/water slide parks.

Hamhock
5/12/2006, 10:16 PM
One last chance...