PDA

View Full Version : Old farm magazine advertisements

royalfan5
5/11/2006, 06:57 PM
As part of my job I spent today camped out in the Ag library at UNL going looking through old farm magazines. I found some of the ads to be funny in hindsight.
Such as ads urging farmers to use asbestos instead of paint on their sheds

or big stories on how DDT was going solve world hunger and DDT could do almost anything

and corn advertisements railing on hippies.(It starts of by saying the American Farmer does not(that part was bolded and underlined) smoke Pot)

GDC
5/11/2006, 07:34 PM
I just want to say OU has the finest collection of science texts and manuscripts in the world in their History of Science Collection. It's amazing to hold and read something by a person like Galileo or Darwin in their own handwriting.

TUSooner
5/11/2006, 07:43 PM
Neato.

GottaHavePride
5/11/2006, 08:03 PM
I just want to say OU has the finest collection of science texts and manuscripts in the world in their History of Science Collection. It's amazing to hold and read something by a person like Galileo or Darwin in their own handwriting.

I keep meaning to go over there but I've never made the time.

usmc-sooner
5/11/2006, 09:27 PM
As part of my job I spent today camped out in the Ag library at UNL going looking through old farm magazines. I found some of the ads to be funny in hindsight.
Such as ads urging farmers to use asbestos instead of paint on their sheds

or big stories on how DDT was going solve world hunger and DDT could do almost anything

and corn advertisements railing on hippies.(It starts of by saying the American Farmer does not(that part was bolded and underlined) smoke Pot)

I knew a lot of farmboys who smoked the pot. :D

GDC
5/12/2006, 02:00 PM
I keep meaning to go over there but I've never made the time.

The nice thing is that the collections are available to anyone who's interested, they're not kept under glass like museum pieces.