PDA

View Full Version : Explain this "warp drive" stuff

Penguin
5/11/2006, 06:02 PM
How is it possible to go faster than the speed of light? And why isn't NASA building warp ships?

mdklatt
5/11/2006, 06:07 PM
There's a good explanation online, but it's in Klingon.

proud gonzo
5/11/2006, 06:18 PM
well, first you go really fast, and then you speed up until you're going the same as light, and then you go a little faster.

Penguin
5/11/2006, 06:19 PM
What happens if you're driving the speed of light and then you turn on your headlights?

yermom
5/11/2006, 06:19 PM
first R2D2 has to fix the Hyperdrive though

jrsooner
5/11/2006, 06:26 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warp_drive

a little lighthearted reading....someone else had toooo much time on their hands.

GottaHavePride
5/11/2006, 07:58 PM
First you have to fool the universe into thinking you have no mass. After that, you can go as fast as you want, provided you don't do anything to attract the universe's attention again. Because as soon as the universe looks back over and says "what the hell do you think you're doing?" you're screwed.

Much easier to get an infinite improbablility drive, I'm thinking.

Okla-homey
5/11/2006, 08:13 PM
NASA lost me as an advocate when they ceased to have a goal. When I was a kid, the "space race" was the coolest. It was about Americans beating the godless commies to the moon. I have no idea what its about now, other than shooting lots of money into space for no apparent reason.

I say they just need to set a goal, like "Mars and Back" by 2015 and I'm "in." Until then, I say no mo money.

GottaHavePride
5/11/2006, 08:16 PM
True. Although I would hate to see us give up on space exploration completely. I mean, how else are we going to get into a gigantic intergalactic war with ****ed off aliens?

OUDoc
5/11/2006, 08:23 PM
well, first you go really fast, and then you speed up until you're going the same as light, and then you go a little faster.
If a tree gets in your way, turn.

proud gonzo
5/11/2006, 08:23 PM
True. Although I would hate to see us give up on space exploration completely. I mean, how else are we going to get into a gigantic intergalactic war with ****ed off aliens?
Hey, there's always the mexican space program

GottaHavePride
5/11/2006, 08:26 PM
Si, fly.

Penguin
5/11/2006, 08:33 PM
Personally, I wish that we would concentrate our efforts on building a gigantic space station. Make it our new moon. And on this station, we will put one kick-*** ion cannon that could destroy planets.

And I shall call this technological terror the "The Gaylord Family Memorial Death Star"

OUinFLA
5/11/2006, 09:02 PM
Oh good, a Gay Star.

handcrafted
5/11/2006, 09:29 PM
"Two to the power of 1 million, seven hundred thousand fifty, and falling..."

handcrafted
5/11/2006, 09:30 PM
Nasa warp drive linky (http://www.nasa.gov/centers/glenn/research/warp/warp.html)

Skysooner
5/11/2006, 09:51 PM
Go this way....really fast. If something gets in your way......turn.

pb4ou
5/11/2006, 10:25 PM
heh, on one ski also

handcrafted
5/13/2006, 01:29 PM
bumpage

yermom
5/13/2006, 01:55 PM
Go this way....really fast. If something gets in your way......turn.

do you know what the street value of this mountain is??

StoopTroup
5/13/2006, 02:23 PM
Can we do it?

http://www.nasa.gov/centers/glenn/images/content/84504main_warp03.gif

The 3 Breakthroughs needed...
1) Discover new propulsion methods that eliminate or dramatically reduce the need for propellant. This implies discovering fundamentally new ways to create motion, presumably by manipulating gravity or inertia or by manipulating any other interactions between matter and spacetime.
2) Discover how to attain the ultimate achievable transit speeds to dramatically reduce deep space travel times. This implies discovering a means to move a vehicle at or near the actual maximum speed limit for motion through space or through the modification of spacetime itself.
3) Discover fundamentally new on-board energy production methods to power propulsion devices. This third goal is included in the program since the first two goals could require breakthroughs in energy generation to power them and since the physics underlying the propulsion goals is closely linked to energy physics.

TOTP Beyonces!