PDA

View Full Version : Tell me why your DL will be great in '06

TJKDone
5/11/2006, 05:41 PM
Will someone be able to replace Dusty and play on his same level? Is Thib really a great player? Are you going to be relying on redshirt or true freshmen in the starting rotation?

I am told by many that your D will be back to OU of old. Tell me of your DL's strengths. Inquiring rivals want to know.

Hook'em

NickZeppelin
5/11/2006, 05:46 PM
I don't know if it'll be great. But the ends are probably the best under Stoops on paper. The tackles are unproven outside of Pendelton who is a 3 year starter and its 6-6 300 lbs. We do have 2 highly touted guys in Granger and McCoy coming in but it's hard to tell how good either of em are.

Jello Biafra
5/11/2006, 06:11 PM
I don't know if it'll be great. But the ends are probably the best under Stoops on paper. The tackles are unproven outside of Pendelton who is a 3 year starter and its 6-6 300 lbs. We do have 2 highly touted guys in Granger and McCoy coming in but it's hard to tell how good either of em are.

shaddup nick you too nice to the orange bloods.......

pick up a copy of soonertimes if you want to get the lowdown on how many different ways our dline is gonna put your qb in the buck next year. btw, just because we are "relying" on a true and redshirt freshman, don't think we will be awesome. we have a history of starting some very fine freshman lineman. think about it and get back to me if you think you have an argument......

Rooster
5/11/2006, 06:24 PM
How come i dont have one of those neg speckers, where do i get one?

BASSooner
5/11/2006, 06:34 PM
well OUr defensive ends explain more than half of it. Ah You, Thibs, Williams, and Birdine are the finest DEs in america and losing dusty doesn't really do anything. we just have more depth at DT with cory bennet and pendleton with experience. Oh and granger and mccy are going to be spectacular even as freshmen even though granger was redshirted. This duo will be just like the Patterson/Cody duo at USC

Jello Biafra
5/11/2006, 06:41 PM
How come i dont have one of those neg speckers, where do i get one?

you doan want one bra.....you need to go to walgreens to get some powder afterwords......

Jello Biafra
5/11/2006, 06:43 PM
well OUr defensive ends explain more than half of it. Ah You, Thibs, Williams, and Birdine are the finest DEs in america and losing dusty doesn't really do anything. we just have more depth at DT with cory bennet and pendleton with experience. Oh and granger and mccy are going to be spectacular even as freshmen even though granger was redshirted. This duo will be just like the Patterson/Cody duo at USC

or think of it this way. this years line will be the line of Cody/Harris/Dvorcek of a few years ago...

NickZeppelin
5/11/2006, 08:20 PM
I don't know if you can say our DTs are deeper. We don't know that. Granger and McCoy could both be flops for all we know.

Soonerman08
5/11/2006, 08:22 PM
I don't know if you can say our DTs are deeper. We don't know that. Granger and McCoy could both be flops for all we know.

Not likely retard!

BASSooner
5/11/2006, 08:24 PM
well we saw what granger did in the spring and McCoy was ranked #1 DT in the country by all polls and #4 player in the country by most polls thus him being THE best defensive player in the country so I'm thinking he is a guaranteed impact on the team

NickZeppelin
5/11/2006, 08:48 PM
Wasn't Dampeer the top ranked DT in the country out of HS?

Scott D
5/11/2006, 08:54 PM
sounds like you are questioning the work ethic of one Gerald McCoy.

NickZeppelin
5/11/2006, 09:02 PM
I don't know enough about it. Just like I don't know enough about Granger. Neither one have yet to play a down at OU.

okienole3
5/11/2006, 09:04 PM

If not, he was close to it. I wouldn't say he was a bust. He was good when he played, he was just a head case.

TJKDone
5/11/2006, 09:13 PM

Have any of the DE's been 1st team all Big 12? Are any of them pre-season All American's?

NickZeppelin
5/11/2006, 09:30 PM
Thibideaux was 2nd in the Big 12 in the Big 12 in sacks. And tied for first among Big 12 DLinemen. He had 9.5 sacks according to Big 12 Sports.com. CJ Ah You had 6.5 sacks per game. I'll look for Birdine's numbers as a backup in 2003 and 2004.

NickZeppelin
5/11/2006, 09:33 PM
Okay Birdine had 7 sacks in 2004, 4 sacks in 2003. Has started 1 career game in the last 3 seasons.

Scott D
5/11/2006, 09:41 PM
Have any of the DE's been 1st team all Big 12? Are any of them pre-season All American's?

no offense, but we've seen over the course of the last 3+ years about how both pre-season (justifably) and especially post-season 'All Big-12' selections are more about reputation than production on the field.

Jello Biafra
5/11/2006, 09:43 PM
I don't know enough about it. Just like I don't know enough about Granger. Neither one have yet to play a down at OU.

suprise suprise!!! this statement shows it's ugly head again. If you don't "know enough about it" how can you talk about it? again, this is why people fart in your general direction while yer mouth is open.....

yes. dampeer was a top 5 recruit and he was NOT a bust. he was a damn fine player when he was playing. his problem was not being able to keep the twinkies out of his belly. much like you can't seem to keep your self shut up with subjects you know nothing about.

Mccoy was named the top defensive player in oklahoma. the top rated DT in the nation and was named defensive MVP in the ARMY all american game. again, he was named a defensive MVP in an ALL star game..... i think we know where this is going right? or do you want me to connect the dots for you?

granger has yet to prove anything. ill give you that but, he has lost weight, has been on record as saying he wants to make this defense one of the most feared in the nation and has the size to do the job. if he is dusty to mccoys harris, we'll be fine. we already have arguably the toughest dend rotation in the nation so if ONE of the two freshman become stars next year, we'll be better off than the last couple.

NickZeppelin
5/11/2006, 09:46 PM
None of us really know how good McCoy and Granger are yet. High school credintials don't always mean a lot.

Scott D
5/11/2006, 09:46 PM
Will someone be able to replace Dusty and play on his same level? Is Thib really a great player? Are you going to be relying on redshirt or true freshmen in the starting rotation?

I am told by many that your D will be back to OU of old. Tell me of your DL's strengths. Inquiring rivals want to know.

Hook'em

to put it on it's most basic level...our defensive line should have the one thing it lacked basically all of last season. Depth across the board.

TJKDone
5/11/2006, 09:53 PM
no offense, but we've seen over the course of the last 3+ years about how both pre-season (justifably) and especially post-season 'All Big-12' selections are more about reputation than production on the field.

If that isn't a good measure then come up with another one. Why should Bird, Thib, and You be considered the best DE rotation in the nation, or even the conference for that matter?

Hook'em

Scott D
5/11/2006, 09:55 PM
If that isn't a good measure then come up with another one. Why should Bird, Thib, and You be considered the best DE rotation in the nation, or even the conference for that matter?

Hook'em

Why should reputation define who were the individual players of the year at various positions at the end of the season? Can you seriously agree with say the selection of say Frank Okam being All Big-12 DL ahead of say 4 DL who had better seasons than him, but happen to have the misfortune of playing for Baylor, Iowa State, Kansas, and Missouri?

Jello Biafra
5/11/2006, 09:57 PM
None of us really know how good McCoy and Granger are yet. High school credintials don't always mean a lot.

/ignore

note to self: some people are just dumbasses and like nothing better than to argue. In the future, in my mind, this is what i'll see when i think of nickzepp:

http://www.lackofintellect.com/pictures/DSC01450.JPG

NickZeppelin
5/11/2006, 09:58 PM

Hook'em

Because they put up great numbers on a bad team last year. It looks like the DBs should be better. LBs should be as good. And there will be more DEs playing. The DEs at OU on paper are the best OU's had because all 3 will be first day draft picks if they stay healthy. Well maybe not Thibs because he's kinda small. But he could be drafted anyway but he'll put up around 6-10 sacks this year. And he's considered by most the 3rd best of the 3 DEs.

What could hurt our DEs is if the DTs lack production. You weren't going to get a lack of production from the DTs last year just because of DD.

Scott D
5/11/2006, 09:59 PM
Because they put up great numbers on a bad team last year. It looks like the DBs should be better. LBs should be as good. And there will be more DEs playing. The DEs at OU on paper are the best OU's had because all 3 will be first day draft picks if they stay healthy. Well maybe not Thibs because he's kinda small. But he could be drafted anyway but he'll put up around 6-10 sacks this year. And he's considered by most the 3rd best of the 3 DEs.

What could hurt our DEs is if the DTs lack production. You weren't going to get a lack of production from the DTs last year just because of DD.

Depends on what you require of your DT's.

Jello Biafra
5/11/2006, 10:03 PM
Depends on what you require of your DT's.

he's clueless and ignorant. He doesn't realize that this defense revolves around the linebackers. the dts aren't there to produce tackles. if they do.....icing on the cake. they are mainly there to occupy and control space, allow the ends to get up field to make the plays and allow the linebackers to flow. if the dts take 3 or 4 people to contain them, the plays will be made as they are designed.

NickZeppelin
5/11/2006, 10:09 PM
Actually he's completely right. But DTs have to do the job either way. We don't know what we need to get out of our DTs. But our DTs have put up good numbers when they are really good. Tommie Harris but up unbelievable numbers and DD put up some good numbers. McGruder even had some tackles in 04. In 2000 our DLinemen(even the ends most of the time) were pretty much there to take up space and let our DBs and LBs make plays. But it's not like that as much.

Jello Biafra
5/11/2006, 10:20 PM
Actually he's completely right. But DTs have to do the job either way. We don't know what we need to get out of our DTs. But our DTs have put up good numbers when they are really good. Tommie Harris but up unbelievable numbers and DD put up some good numbers. McGruder even had some tackles in 04. In 2000 our DLinemen(even the ends most of the time) were pretty much there to take up space and let our DBs and LBs make plays. But it's not like that as much.

yes we do foo! i just told you. you need them to occupy and control space IE: control the line of scrimmage.

harris and dusty both had 37 tackles in 14 games in 2003. you do the math. those are not spectacular numbers. mcgruder had 24 in 2004 in 13 games.

how do you think we have had 2 butkus winners and 2 OTHER finalists in stoops 6 years? any idea? take a guess.....

TJKDone
5/11/2006, 10:31 PM
Why should reputation define who were the individual players of the year at various positions at the end of the season? Can you seriously agree with say the selection of say Frank Okam being All Big-12 DL ahead of say 4 DL who had better seasons than him, but happen to have the misfortune of playing for Baylor, Iowa State, Kansas, and Missouri?

While I am a Longhorn and there is inherent bias in that fact, I have heard many individuals state that Fran Okam is not only worthy of 1st team all big 12, he will be a first round draft choice. IMO he has done more to merit expectation for the upcoming season than any of the returning DL from OU.

The fact that you will have more depth is the one good arguement that I've heard. But depth with good players doesn't make the postion worth of being called "the best in the nation." I also can recall even in Stoops tenure and certainly previous to him a number of teams with FAR superior players returning at the DE position than the 3 you've mentioned. I appreciate the comments by Zepp, but I respectfully disagree that all 3 will be first day draft picks. I am not sure any will be. Also, while they all may be healthy to begin the season, Larry Birdine has a injury prone tendancy, and the others have battled injuries in the past. To me it is optomistic that they will all 3 go through the season without having to miss significant time and if this does happen it will lessen the positive effect that the depth would have.

The DT group at OU this season could be the exception, but usually when teams are relying on true or redshirt freshmen at a position, it is one of weakness. Tommie Harris was an exception being very effective as a true frosh. But he was an exceptional talent and he had a really great group around him that helped his effectiveness. Jello thinks that Gerald M, will be the second coming of Tommie H...hey he could be. However any rational analysis would conclude that the odds are against it in general and the likely hood of him having the same impact that Harris did as a Frosh are about as good as winning the Lottery even if McCoy does turn out to be a great player.

Will be fun to find out in October. That is why they play the game right!

Good luck in '06.

Hook'em

Jello Biafra
5/11/2006, 10:43 PM
While I am a Longhorn and there is inherent bias in that fact, I have heard many individuals state that Fran Okam is not only worthy of 1st team all big 12, he will be a first round draft choice.

I appreciate the comments by Zepp

1st comment. his name is frank......and he's a whorn...hes a thrid round draft pick for the east side mcdonalds drive thru window crew at best.

2nd comment. you're apparently the ONLY poster that appreciates zepp's comments so you can join him in the shutting the F up..........

3rd comment. you're not only a whorn on our board but you are clueless horn who has obviously never donned a jock strap in your life so i say this with the greatest respect i can muster......you and your opinions about football suck and you would'nt know a freshman dlineman if he was up your arse kicking field goals. ou has quite the history of playing frosh dlineman not only with stoops at the wheel but with several other coaches. don't make me look up names and make you look stupid in front of your friends.

Scott D
5/11/2006, 10:47 PM
I'd hardly call a freak bicep tear 'injury prone'. I used Okam as an example because he's the first Texas DL that came to mind out of the returning ones. You really didn't answer my question of whether or not you would have an issue with him being named All Big-12 First Team after the season if he has a season in which there were 4 other players at the same position whom had better seasons than he did but just happened to play for the 'lower tier' teams in the conference.

Scott D
5/11/2006, 10:50 PM

good numbers are subjective. I'd be content with our DT's having 20 tackles a piece with perhaps 1 or 2 sacks each if it meant that they were constantly drawing double teams if not as many as 5 guys blocking them (including the fullback).

OUTrumpet
5/11/2006, 10:51 PM
Thibideaux was 2nd in the Big 12 in the Big 12 in sacks. And tied for first among Big 12 DLinemen. He had 9.5 sacks according to Big 12 Sports.com. CJ Ah You had 6.5 sacks per game. I'll look for Birdine's numbers as a backup in 2003 and 2004.

6.5 sacks per game? :eek:

Da-humn! I thought our record was 4 sacks for a player in one game...let alone 6.5 a game...

Jello Biafra
5/11/2006, 10:52 PM
Jello thinks that Gerald M, will be the second coming of Tommie H...hey he could be. However any rational analysis would conclude that the odds are against it in general and the likely hood of him having the same impact that Harris did as a Frosh are about as good as winning the Lottery even if McCoy does turn out to be a great player.

let me re-state my point. all you need from ANY dtackle is to occupy and control space. if you do that and cause the oline to have to double team you, you win and become a man among men. nothing spectacular. you don't have to run down a filthy azzed horn down from behind all you have to do is allow the linebackers and dends to make plays. outside of two years in peewee, defense is the only thing i played and a majority of it was at dline. unlike nick and yourself, I can speak from experience.

TJKDone
5/11/2006, 10:57 PM
I'd hardly call a freak bicep tear 'injury prone'. I used Okam as an example because he's the first Texas DL that came to mind out of the returning ones. You really didn't answer my question of whether or not you would have an issue with him being named All Big-12 First Team after the season if he has a season in which there were 4 other players at the same position whom had better seasons than he did but just happened to play for the 'lower tier' teams in the conference.

The bicept wasn't Birdine's only injury problem was it? Tibs has blown out a knee hasn't he...

I would be in favor of performance determining all conference recognition. I would also note that numbers aren't the only indicator of performance. A team like OU or UT may have more difficult non conference competition or may rotate players more than lower tier teams, etc. These factors may result in inferior numbers for some players at different positions, but not neccesarily inferior seasons for those players.

Hook'em

Jello Biafra
5/11/2006, 11:03 PM
The bicept wasn't Birdine's only injury problem was it? Tibs has blown out a knee hasn't he...

I would be in favor of performance determining all conference recognition. I would also note that numbers aren't the only indicator of performance. A team like OU or UT may have more difficult non conference competition or may rotate players more than lower tier teams, etc. These factors may result in inferior numbers for some players at different positions, but not neccesarily inferior seasons for those players.

Hook'em

yeh. the BICEPT injury WAS the only injury. who gives fug about all conference recognition. all the hardware in 2003 did nothing for the team. we're talking the depth and rotation for the main purpose of maiming and destroying opponents. you guys will get the largest shot of any of the teams but make no mistake about it. these kids play well, they will be drafted.

Duke o Brewery
5/11/2006, 11:05 PM
The whole optimism about our D-Line is centered around the ends.

Yes, we have depth a tackle. Yes the top two tackles are experienced 'solid' players who aren't spectacular, but who get the job done 9 times out of 10. Yes those top two are backed up by some EXTREMELY talented, but very young #1 ranked prospects. Yes, we feel that this added first string experience, increased depth, and talented youth will fill in very nicely for the loss of Dvoracek. This is all well and good, but none of it is why we're bubbling over with optimism.

We have three highly experienced ends (Thib, Birdine, Ah You) and a fourth who isn't as seasoned, but who shows fantastic sacking potential (John Williams). Ah You, Birdine and Williams show possible first round talent and athleticism. Thib is a bit smaller, but other than that he's equally as productive. Those three seniors put up great numbers and impressive performances over the last two seasons, even last year playing with a sloppy, inexperienced secondary.

Over the past several seasons we've seen one or two exceptional ends at a time..i.e. Cody-Jackson, Wilkerson-Heinecke. Lopsided combos that were very good, but not necessarily 'great'. Now, in 2006, we have a 4 end rotation that is overall the best we've had in the Stoops era. None of them are Dan Cody's just yet, but they are only a small notch below him and they're getting better every day.

Instead of one or two superstars at a time backed up by adequate talent we've got experienced runstuffers backed up by VERY talented younger tackles and we've got experienced, talented sack machines backed up by yet more talented sack machines. Our line will be rotating constantly and we will dominate offensive lines in the second half. Bet on it.

Overall, top to bottom, our D-line roster is the best its been in the Stoops era. That, whorn, is why we're so confident.

Scott D
5/11/2006, 11:10 PM

2005 - Suffered a torn left biceps muscle in a preseason drill and missed the season.

2004 - Reserve defensive end who played extensively in a three-man rotation ... second on the team with 11 tackles for loss ... dominant at Baylor with a season-high six tackles along with three for loss and one fumble forced ... also had three sacks and a forced fumble at Texas A&M.

2003 - Strong pass rusher who was in the rotation throughout his first season of eligibility ... played in all 14 games and started at Colorado ... four sacks were spread over four games ... forced a fumble against Baylor ... season-high five tackles against UCLA, including three tackles for loss.

2002 - Redshirted.

only see one injury there. With Cody, Wilkerson, Jackson among others ahead of him on the depth chart since his redshirt year is enough of an explanation for his low statistical numbers in 03 and 04.

You have the right feel for how the post-season selections should be. However, the people who vote on those awards in the Big-12 treat them pretty much like pre-season rankings in the AP/Coaches Poll. They generally can't be bothered to look very far past preseason picks when making the final picks.

Jello Biafra
5/11/2006, 11:10 PM
Overall, top to bottom, our D-line roster is the best its been in the Stoops era. That, whorn, is why we're so confident.

you guys will have a rookie QB in the cotton bowl, your team, coach, fan base, and state have been talking shiit since january and our team is now finally seasoned and ****ed.

THAT, WHOREn, is why i am so happy i could bust a growler.......... i want to see your rook take one in the shorts so hard he blows an O-ring that a whole tube of preperation H won't put back in place in a short time frame. jeeebus!!!! i can't wait!

TJKDone
5/11/2006, 11:20 PM
you guys will have a rookie QB in the cotton bowl, your team, coach, fan base, and state have been talking shiit since january and our team is now finally seasoned and ****ed.

Would that it will be enough:D

Hook'em

TJKDone
5/11/2006, 11:21 PM
/ignore

note to self: some people are just dumbasses and like nothing better than to argue. In the future, in my mind, this is what i'll see when i think of nickzepp:

http://www.lackofintellect.com/pictures/DSC01450.JPG

Oh the irony:D

Hook'em

Jello Biafra
5/11/2006, 11:22 PM
Oh the irony:D

Hook'em

lol REALLY?!?!? i guess you know this guy?

Jello Biafra
5/11/2006, 11:23 PM
Would that it will be enough:D

Hook'em

i what think indeed so.

TheGodfather889
5/11/2006, 11:29 PM
I think the defense will be pretty good next year definetely better than the last two years. OU will be able to rush the passer with Birdine,Ah You,Thibodeaux and Williams. We think Gerald Mccoy will make an instant impact like Tommie Harris did. We will need the help from Bennett,Pendleton and Granger as losing Dusty Dvoracek does hurt. The linebackers will be very strong with Rufus Alexander,Zach Latimer and Demarrio Pleasant. The secondary should be good since Reggie Smith looks like he can be a shutdown corner. So the defense should be pretty good next year.

TJKDone
5/11/2006, 11:34 PM
I think the defense will be pretty good next year definetely better than the last two years. OU will be able to rush the passer with Birdine,Ah You,Thibodeaux and Williams. We think Gerald Mccoy will make an instant impact like Tommie Harris did. We will need the help from Bennett,Pendleton and Granger as losing Dusty Dvoracek does hurt. The linebackers will be very strong with Rufus Alexander,Zach Latimer and Demarrio Pleasant. The secondary should be good since Reggie Smith looks like he can be a shutdown corner. So the defense should be pretty good next year.

Here is to "pretty good" and not Roy Williams dominant.

Hook'em

TheGodfather889
5/11/2006, 11:38 PM
I'm not going to say dominant or great about the defense until they can prove they are back to being the old OU defense of old. I have to see it in a real game before I believe it.

Jello Biafra
5/11/2006, 11:40 PM
Here is to "pretty good" and not Roy Williams dominant.

Hook'em

fortunately for us, we won't have to be Roy Williams dominant. we should be rubbing taint blisters on colt by the start of the second quarter so we will only have to be pretty good to beat youins....

TJKDone
5/11/2006, 11:44 PM
fortunately for us, we won't have to be Roy Williams dominant. we should be rubbing taint blisters on colt by the start of the second quarter so we will only have to be pretty good to beat youins....

Jallo does your experience tell you so...

8-4 sounds about right.

Hook'em

Jello Biafra
5/11/2006, 11:47 PM
Jallo does your experience tell you so...

8-4 sounds about right.

Hook'em

no homo, the bible tells me so.....

i bet you a date with yer grandmammy that we will have a better record than you this year...... want some?

TJKDone
5/11/2006, 11:51 PM
no homo, the bible tells me so.....

i bet you a date with yer grandmammy that we will have a better record than you this year...... want some?

Done...when will we know. I bet it will be before October.:D

Hook'em

Jello Biafra
5/11/2006, 11:54 PM
Done...when will we know. I bet it will be before October.:D

Hook'em
we DEFINATELY will know by then. you so smart.......since you will go into the RRS with 2 losses and come out with 3

TJKDone
5/11/2006, 11:56 PM
we DEFINATELY will know by then. you so smart.......since you will go into the RRS with 2 losses and come out with 3

Bold:eek:

smarter than some:D

Hook'em

Jello Biafra
5/12/2006, 12:00 AM
Bold:eek:

smarter than some:D

Hook'em

two things of note. i went to your "official athletics site"

grats on the number 2 team in the nation getting swept in the softball version of the BIG XII. we seemed to have put a stank *** whoppin on your skanks....

tell mack and the crew congrats on those gay *** orange dog tags that say national championships. i like young showing off those rings. we still have kids on our team who have more rings than he does. be he got his g on in front of tha cameras

TJKDone
5/12/2006, 12:05 AM
two things of note. i went to your "official athletics site"

grats on the number 2 team in the nation getting swept in the softball version of the BIG XII. we seemed to have put a stank *** whoppin on your skanks....

tell mack and the crew congrats on those gay *** orange dog tags that say national championships. i like young showing off those rings. we still have kids on our team who have more rings than he does. be he got his g on in front of tha cameras

Noteworthy only to a Sooner:D

Hook'em

soonerspiff
5/12/2006, 12:35 AM
I'd prefer we didn't do the whole pre-season taunting. I know it's all just for fun and stuff, but I just think it's kinda stupid to make judgements about a game that is five months away, before a single regular season game has been played to base anything on... Texas is going to be good fella's, it's going to be a really good game.

But so far, I admit I'd give us a slight edge. Oh yeah, I think our DL should be better than last year. Depth is quite helpful.

47straight
5/12/2006, 12:50 AM
Noteworthy only to a Sooner:D

Hook'em

Is that why your softball team is on the front page of the Daily Texan all the time? Including *today*?

Don't go spouting off the breadth of your athletic program (swimming and diving championships oh my) and then act like it aint no big deal when your precious, precious, precious Catherine Ostertag gets her *** handed to her.

If you're going to light the tower with random numbers and random arrangments at random times, then deal with it. Otherwise, turn off the ****ing lights and save some ****ing energy.

47straight
5/12/2006, 12:55 AM
Oh yeah - and to address your question of credentials about DE's...

C.J. Ah You was the Big 12 defensive newcomer of the year, and honorable mention all-big 12.

SicEmBaylor
5/12/2006, 12:57 AM
I have nothing of substance to add to this conversation except to say that Dampeer was fun to watch play. The guy had heart and apparently one hell of an apetite. I really hated to see the guy not obtain the success he could have with some more focus and self restraint.

Big Red Ron
5/12/2006, 07:22 AM
Seriously?

Big Red Ron
5/12/2006, 07:29 AM
Granger was the #1 DT recruit in 2004-05
McCoy was the #1 DT recruit in 2005-06

And they aren't full time starters yet.

Our DE's are freaking awesome with three Seniors looking to get drafted.

crimson&cream
5/12/2006, 09:26 AM
yep and when he did play I saw teams double and triple team him, they couldn't handle him. He just couldn't get out of Stoops doghouse long enough to be a consistant starter.Mainly his weight and work ethic , but when he did play even being overweight he was pretty darn good. A crowd favortie.

Herr Scholz
5/12/2006, 10:19 AM
pick up a copy of soonertimes if you want to get the lowdown on how many different ways our dline is gonna put your qb in the buck next year.
I think you are confusing our OL with yours. ;)

Also, in reference to the UT softball team going 2 and BBQ at the Big XII tourney, they still won the Big XII regular season championship and will still be a top 8 seed going into the CWS. They'll be OK. I would also like to point out that they swept your Sooners in Norman this season.

starrca23
5/12/2006, 10:34 AM
To answer the original question, " Why will your DL be great in '06?" Allow me to answer with object fact:
BECAUSE WE ARE OU.

starrca23
5/12/2006, 10:35 AM
Why will our DL be good?
BECAUSE WE ARE OU.

sooneron
5/12/2006, 10:56 AM
yep and when he did play I saw teams double and triple team him, they couldn't handle him. He just couldn't get out of Stoops doghouse long enough to be a consistant starter.Mainly his weight and work ethic , but when he did play even being overweight he was pretty darn good. A crowd favortie.
Incorrect, he was #2 as per rivals.

arlington
5/12/2006, 01:41 PM
I think DT like RB are positions in which young talented guys have proven taht they can step in immediately and be difference makers, thus assuming that both Granger AND MCCoy are going to be very big contributors from day 1 is a good assumption..Names like Dvoracek, Harris, Rod Wright, Okam, Lokey all have contributed from the get go..

NickZeppelin
5/12/2006, 03:25 PM
Dusty contributed as a freshman but didn't play the first few games. I think Texas was about the first time I remember seeing him that year. And he was about 260 lbs.

Jello Biafra
5/12/2006, 04:41 PM
I think you are confusing our OL with yours. ;)

Also, in reference to the UT softball team going 2 and BBQ at the Big XII tourney, they still won the Big XII regular season championship and will still be a top 8 seed going into the CWS. They'll be OK. I would also like to point out that they swept your Sooners in Norman this season.

pfft... fuggin softball smack......

august will not get here fast enough....

o yeh??? our gymnastics team will kick the brut off of your diving team. you hairy fairy bastids.....

Herr Scholz
5/12/2006, 04:45 PM
pfft... fuggin softball smack......

My post was merely in rebuttal to yours. You brought it up.

Jello Biafra
5/12/2006, 04:53 PM
My post was merely in rebuttal to yours. You brought it
up.

o yeh?

http://static.flickr.com/34/72451442_2463c26daa_m.jpg

get some, fruit fly

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
5/12/2006, 04:57 PM
it doesn't matter whether we have the "best DL in the nation." what matters is that we have the best DL possible for our defense. when looking at the DL's numbers last year, you have to take into account that the coaches cut the DL loose to help protect the secondary. if our secondary returns to anything resembling solid, then we will be back to our conservative DL play.

All_Day_28
5/12/2006, 07:48 PM
everyone on here saying McCoy might flop are crazy... this guy is an absolute beast...

NickZeppelin
5/12/2006, 08:10 PM
everyone on here saying McCoy might flop are crazy... this guy is an absolute beast...

Anyone says McCoy will for sure be great is crazy too. There's no way to know how good he'll be in college right now. He's yet to step on campus.

XingTheRubicon
5/12/2006, 08:48 PM
http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/6204/250pxracheldratchdebbie2zh.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Jello Biafra
5/12/2006, 09:17 PM
Anyone says McCoy will for sure be great is crazy too. There's no way to know how good he'll be in college right now. He's yet to step on campus.

i think you are just incapable of looking into the future and having to wear shades. if you know that reference, Ill pay lidihaters mother via paypal to come to your house and STEAL your virginity from you. :)

All_Day_28
5/12/2006, 10:17 PM
he's a beast!! go kick rocks fu*k boy...

NickZeppelin
5/12/2006, 10:20 PM
I don't care what he looks like or what he did in HS. College and HS aren't the same level.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
5/12/2006, 10:36 PM
I don't care what he looks like or what he did in HS. College and HS aren't the same level.

i don't know about that, i mean you barely got out of one and barely got into the other...

NickZeppelin
5/12/2006, 10:54 PM
I quit believing in hyping HS players since James Allen.

Scott D
5/12/2006, 11:29 PM
he's no Sidd Finch, that's for sure.

Jello Biafra
5/12/2006, 11:56 PM

roflmao all the way back to the thunder and lightning days eh?

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
5/13/2006, 12:36 AM

james allen? he is in the top 12 ALL TIME at OU in rushing and he spent 5 years in the league.

2,438 James Allen RB 1993-96 563 4.33 7

was he as good as he could have been? nope. the gary gibbs years were proof that no matter how much talent you have, if you don't coach or condition them, they aren't going to be as good as they could be.

olevetonahill
5/13/2006, 12:54 AM
In an easy answer for the :texan: Our DL and every thing else will be great in 06 because we are OU:cool:

NickZeppelin
5/13/2006, 01:22 AM
james allen? he is in the top 12 ALL TIME at OU in rushing and he spent 5 years in the league.

was he as good as he could have been? nope. the gary gibbs years were proof that no matter how much talent you have, if you don't coach or condition them, they aren't going to be as good as they could be.

He was never as good as the hype. He had his redemption against Texas but he was never better then average at OU.

Big Red Ron
5/13/2006, 01:29 AM
He was never as good as the hype. He had his redemption against Texas but he was never better then average at OU.:rolleyes: what were you like five or ten?:rolleyes:

You realize he shared a back field with a first round draft choice?

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
5/13/2006, 01:30 AM
this is a list of the guys he is in front of on the career rushing list at OU

2,431 Kenny King RB 1975-78 391 6.22 10
2,425 Spencer Tillman RB 1983-86 456 5.32 22
2,404 Jim Grisham RB 1962-64 474 5.07 18
2,298 Dewell Brewer RB 1988-92 447 5.14 18
2,231 George Thomas RB 1946-49 368 6.06 34
2,201 Clendon Thomas RB 1955-57 323 6.81 31
2,163 Elvis Peacock RB 1974-77 352 6.14 28
2,153 Billy Vessels RB 1950-52 346 6.22 31
2,145 Thomas Lott QB 1975-78 442 4.85 30
2,124 Steve Davis QB 1973-75 534 3.98 34
2,119 Leon Crosswhite RB 1970-72 468 4.53 11
2,111 Jerald Moore RB 1993-95 388 5.44 25
2,025 Jack Mildren QB 1969-71 541 3.74 32
2,018 Leon Heath RB 1948-50 287 7.03 17
2,016 Leon Perry RB 1985-89 423 4.77 21

were they all average?

NickZeppelin
5/13/2006, 01:30 AM
When? OU had 1 first round pick in the 90's and it wasn't on the offensive side of the ball

Big Red Ron
5/13/2006, 01:31 AM
When? OU had 1 first round pick in the 90's and it wasn't on the offensive side of the ballWrong again, Gumbo Fazand...San Diego.

NickZeppelin
5/13/2006, 01:32 AM
this is a list of the guys he is in front of on the career rushing list at OU

2,431 Kenny King RB 1975-78 391 6.22 10
2,425 Spencer Tillman RB 1983-86 456 5.32 22
2,404 Jim Grisham RB 1962-64 474 5.07 18
2,298 Dewell Brewer RB 1988-92 447 5.14 18
2,231 George Thomas RB 1946-49 368 6.06 34
2,201 Clendon Thomas RB 1955-57 323 6.81 31
2,163 Elvis Peacock RB 1974-77 352 6.14 28
2,153 Billy Vessels RB 1950-52 346 6.22 31
2,145 Thomas Lott QB 1975-78 442 4.85 30
2,124 Steve Davis QB 1973-75 534 3.98 34
2,119 Leon Crosswhite RB 1970-72 468 4.53 11
2,025 Jack Mildren QB 1969-71 541 3.74 32
2,018 Leon Heath RB 1948-50 287 7.03 17
2,016 Leon Perry RB 1985-89 423 4.77 21

were they all average?

No he put up numbers but he was a disappointemnt in college and anyone that says different is kidding themselves. Out of HS he was getting hyped as one of the greatest ever. He was never close to that.

Jello Biafra
5/13/2006, 01:33 AM
He was never as good as the hype. He had his redemption against Texas but he was never better then average at OU.

you've said some stupid things over the last couple of months but........

do you even realize the type of runningbacks that have rolled through norman in the last 60 or so years? 12 on the list? i remember a backfield that had overstreet, lott, watts, simms, king the next year (or two) peacock and rhymes.......i REALLY don't think you think before you type. number 12 is pretty far up there. switzer had a minimum of 4 running backs every year that were producing close to 700 per year

NickZeppelin
Wrong again, Gumbo Fazand...San Diego.

2nd round pick.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi

whose career intersected with

3,403 De'Mond Parker RB 1996-98 579 5.88 21

fazande and rasheed were in there as well, but i don't have time to look up their stats...

Big Red Ron
5/13/2006, 01:34 AM
No he put up numbers but he was a disappointemnt in college and anyone that says different is kidding themselves. Out of HS he was getting hyped as one of the greatest ever. He was never close to that.So, if he was only considered a really good back out of HS he would be one of the greatest ever?

Big Red Ron
5/13/2006, 01:35 AM
2nd round pick.Whatever, the point is the same. He shared the ball with some very solid backs.

NickZeppelin
5/13/2006, 01:36 AM
you've said some stupid things over the last couple of months but........

do you even realize the type of runningbacks that have rolled through norman in the last 60 or so years? 12 on the list? i remember a backfield that had overstreet, lott, watts, simms, king the next year (or two) peacock and rhymes.......i REALLY don't think you think before you type. number 12 is pretty far up there. switzer had a minimum of 4 running backs every year that were producing close to 700 per year

Which actually kind helps my point. Because we used more then 2 backs most of the time the numbers by those listed aren't gonna be as good as Allen's. Now Allen's last couple years he shared the ball some with Moore and Parker. But he still was the primary guy for some bad offenses.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
5/13/2006, 01:36 AM
No he put up numbers but he was a disappointemnt in college and anyone that says different is kidding themselves. Out of HS he was getting hyped as one of the greatest ever. He was never close to that.

uh, how else do you rate a running back if not by numbers?

as for high school hype, no he wasn't. he wasn't even the highest rated tailback out of high school that year. he was like the 5th or 6th albeit the #1 player in the state of oklahoma.

NickZeppelin
5/13/2006, 01:37 AM
Whatever, the point is the same. He shared the ball with some very solid backs.

Fazande and solid back shouldn't be used in the same sentence. Now Moore and Parker were solid backs.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
5/13/2006, 01:37 AM
Which actually kind helps my point. Because we used more then 2 backs most of the time the numbers by those listed aren't gonna be as good as Allen's. Now Allen's last couple years he shared the ball some with Moore and Parker. But he still was the primary guy for some bad offenses.

he shared the ball with 2 backs that had over 5,000 YARDS rushing between them and he managed almost 2500 YARDS himself.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
5/13/2006, 01:39 AM
Fazande and solid back shouldn't be used in the same sentence. Now Moore and Parker were solid backs.

dude, i'm about to ban you for being an idiot. a 2nd ROUND NFL DRAFT CHOICE doesn't qualify as even remotely solid?

NickZeppelin
5/13/2006, 01:40 AM
How many yards rushing did those backs have those seasons?

Big Red Ron
5/13/2006, 01:41 AM
Fazande and solid back shouldn't be used in the same sentence. Now Moore and Parker were solid backs.He played FB at OU because we were so loaded at TB. He was drafted and played TB in the NFL.

NickZeppelin
5/13/2006, 01:42 AM
he shared the ball with 2 backs that had over 5,000 YARDS rushing between them and he managed almost 2500 YARDS himself.

Parker had about 2500 yards without Allen so how many yards did those 2 backs that he "shared" with have in those seasons? I think Parker had 1200 or so in 96. I don't know how many Moore had.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
5/13/2006, 01:42 AM
dude, i'm about to ban you for being an idiot. a 2nd ROUND NFL DRAFT CHOICE doesn't qualify as even remotely solid?

heh, i threatened to ban someone :twinkies:

Big Red Ron
5/13/2006, 01:44 AM
Parker had about 2500 yards without Allen so how many yards did those 2 backs that he "shared" with have in those seasons? I think Parker had 1200 or so in 96. I don't know how many Moore had.Didn't 1200 yards earn C. Benson the Doak his senior year?Hook 'em

NickZeppelin
5/13/2006, 01:45 AM

He was a 2nd round draft choice because the Chargers owner was an idiot. What did Fazande ever really do here compared to Parker, Allen, or whatever other back he played with then. He was a fullback and not a full back like Kenny King was or Carr was. He was a fullback that didn't get the ball a lot.

Big Red Ron
heh, i threatened to ban someone :twinkies:What would "Dirty Harry" say?

Jello Biafra

NUKE EM!!!!!

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
5/13/2006, 01:48 AM
Jerald Moore 1995 1,001
De'Mond Parker 1996 1,184

fazande is the big question mark, but soonersports isn't responding right now

olevetonahill
5/13/2006, 01:54 AM
Good jorb ! now geterdone :)

NickZeppelin
5/13/2006, 02:11 AM
Jerald Moore 1995 1,001
De'Mond Parker 1996 1,184

fazande is the big question mark, but soonersports isn't responding right now

I couldn 't find the numbers on Moore. That sounds about right. I can get Fazande's numbers but it'll have to be tomorrow. It's too late for me to look it up tonight.

David Earl
5/13/2006, 08:32 AM
I couldn 't find the numbers on Moore. That sounds about right. I can get Fazande's numbers but it'll have to be tomorrow. It's too late for me to look it up tonight.

Don't bother looking those numbers up, Nick. A quick breeze through this thread shows you railing on former players too much. You've been told over and over to not bash players or coaches. You are too arrogant to listen to anybody or any rules. You are done.

MiccoMacey
5/13/2006, 08:35 AM
How long this time?

And what does GADOCADWI mean?

sanantoniosooner
5/13/2006, 08:37 AM
Don't bother looking those numbers up, Nick. A quick breeze through this thread shows you railing on former players too much. You've been told over and over to not bash players or coaches. You are too arrogant to listen to anybody or any rules. You are done.
Now I'm going to have a neg surplus:mad:

David Earl
5/13/2006, 08:41 AM
How long this time?

I permabanned him.

And what does GADOCADWI mean?

It means AD stands for Adrian Deterson which is where you get OU ringtones.

Either that or, Get A Deck Of Cards And Deal With It

MiccoMacey
5/13/2006, 08:47 AM
Thanks for the updates.

And permabanned is way too lenient for Nick.

Jello Biafra
5/13/2006, 10:01 AM
Thanks for the updates.

And permabanned is way too lenient for Nick.\

can we find out where he lives and all meet in his front yard to hurl insults at him? :)

sanantoniosooner
5/13/2006, 10:02 AM
\

can we find out where he lives and all meet in his front yard to hurl insults at him? :)
You think NASA will fly us there?

MiccoMacey
5/13/2006, 11:00 AM
\

Look for him in the phone book under "Nick Zepplin's Mom".

He'll be there. Until after puberty. :D

SoonerAtKU
5/13/2006, 11:13 AM
Huzzah! Can we also ban any variations on the name? Zick Neppelin doesn't have much to say either, IMHO.

goingoneight
5/13/2006, 02:29 PM

Yes... In theory, yes. But note the accomplishments, the size and the speed of these guys, note that they are BOTH the #1 DT recruits of their graduating classes, and note that McCoy is touted as the best talent out of Oklahoma since the Selmon brothers. McCoy will rock and roll, as OU didn't just meet him yesterday. They've been eyeing him since he was in middle school and watching him grow as a player has been the story of his recruiting to OU. I like the bio on Granger, but he didn't really show me much in the spring games or practices in either year he's been there. Then again, Jason White looked rusty in the 2003 red/white game also. C'mon Nick, have at least a hint of confidence... ;)

goingoneight
5/13/2006, 02:38 PM

Hook'em

See: Stoops factor. See OU 1998 D vs OU 1999-2001 D.

goingoneight
5/13/2006, 02:43 PM

Bullsh!t, dude. I saw him on campus at the Red/White game. :)

picasso
5/14/2006, 10:30 PM
next time you might want to go by just more than numbers. Fazande WAS our offense in many a game here. you can't remember because you were in the 1st grade.

again, I'm all for idiots and their opinions, myself included. but this dude...

picasso
5/14/2006, 10:37 PM
Allen and Moore both played as freshmen there Rockne. which would probably mean they both shared about the same amount of carries until Moore headed for the NFL.

dmcattle
5/15/2006, 07:37 AM
Does anyone know how Auston English is coming along at DE have heard he will be in rotation this season as a soph.

BASSooner
5/15/2006, 10:12 AM
I'm not sure but I hear he was REALLY fast coming out of high school. I hope this guy turns out to be a huge star.

dmcattle
5/15/2006, 10:17 AM
I watched Auston all through his high school years and he was a very good athlete in high school hope to see him play this year.

Herr Scholz
5/15/2006, 10:27 AM
Didn't 1200 yards earn C. Benson the Doak his senior year?Hook 'em
No, he had 1834 yds. (5.6 YPC) and 19 TDs in 2004. Just an FYI. ;)

http://www.mackbrown-texasfootball.com/doc_lib/04_stats_final.HTM#TEAM.IND

Big Red Ron
5/15/2006, 10:29 AM
No, he had 1834 yds. (5.6 YPC) and 19 TDs in 2004. Just an FYI. ;)

http://www.mackbrown-texasfootball.com/doc_lib/04_stats_final.HTM#TEAM.INDNot too shabby.

Herr Scholz
5/15/2006, 10:32 AM
Not too shabby.
I'm hoping for him to have a breakout year for the Bears this year. We'll see.

Big Red Ron
5/15/2006, 10:43 AM
I'm hoping for him to have a breakout year for the Bears this year. We'll see.Well he certainly has the blocking now, so there goes that excuse. ;)

Herr Scholz
5/15/2006, 10:54 AM
Well he certainly has the blocking now, so there goes that excuse. ;)
Runnels is a very good player (I think OU is going to miss his blocking more than anyone's mentioning BTW). Ced just needs some PT now.

Big Red Ron
5/15/2006, 11:19 AM
Runnels is a very good player (I think OU is going to miss his blocking more than anyone's mentioning BTW). Ced just needs some PT now.If by "PT" you mean physical training, then I agree. :D

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
5/15/2006, 11:27 AM
Runnels is a very good player (I think OU is going to miss his blocking more than anyone's mentioning BTW).

its so sad that herr knows more about OU football than nick

Big Red Ron
5/15/2006, 11:47 AM
its so sad that herr knows more about OU football than nickSad for Nick...sorta flattering from a horn. ;)

Herr Scholz
5/15/2006, 12:00 PM
its so sad that herr knows more about OU football than nick
Keep your friends close but your enemies closer.... ;)

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y215/caffeinefirst/celebs/godfather.jpg

Salt City Sooner
5/15/2006, 12:52 PM
Runnels is a very good player (I think OU is going to miss his blocking more than anyone's mentioning BTW). Ced just needs some PT now.
Heck, I'll mention it. I'm sweating his loss more than anything that's happening on the OL.