PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone here been surfing?

Beano's Fourth Chin
5/11/2006, 10:13 AM
When I was about 10 or 12 years ago, a group of us (about 6 guys) went surfing down San Diego way.

We were all land lubbers and just rented the boards. By the second or third day, I could actually finally surf a little bit.

In my mind, I was really good at it. One of the dudes had a video camera and filmed a little bit of it. Turns out that the waves I was surfing were horribly tiny.

Anyway, the point of this story is that I had to leave a day earlier than everyone else because of work. So the guy that had the rental car in his name drove me back to the hotel to get my stuff and was going to take me to the airport.

Apparently, what none of us knew, was that our hotel was ground zero for some sort of nationwide bikini contest. When we drove up the freaking entire place was swarming with girls in bikinis posing for pictures. Not kidding, there were hundreds of them. There were dozens of photographers set up in stations around the place and the girls were queued up at each station getting their pictures taken. Lots of fake pictures of girls trying to look comfortable climbing a tree in their swimsuits, etc.

I almost missed my plane on account of walking around and looking at stuff.

I forget how cool I used to be.

Norm In Norman
5/11/2006, 10:14 AM
i'm surfing right now.

Osce0la
5/11/2006, 10:15 AM
i'm surfing right now.
same here, but no bikinis :(

Beano's Fourth Chin
5/11/2006, 10:15 AM
Actually, the pictures weren't fake, but the girls were pretending like they weren't uncomfortable when they were climbing the tree and sitting on the limbs and stuff.

Actually, there were only a couple of tree climbing stations, there were other stations like sitting by the pool or climbing over big landscaping rocks on the hotel property.

Beano's Fourth Chin
5/11/2006, 10:17 AM
Actually, the pictures weren't fake, but the girls were pretending like they weren't uncomfortable when they were climbing the tree and sitting on the limbs and stuff.

Actually, there were only a couple of tree climbing stations, there were other stations like sitting by the pool or climbing over big landscaping rocks on the hotel property.

Actually, I have no proof that they weren't fake. It could have all been a big scam by some rich perv guy or something. Of course, why would a perv hire people to only pretend to take pictures?

It's highly improbable that the pictures were fake.

BeetDigger
5/11/2006, 10:18 AM
I forget how cool I used to be.

We still think you're cool. It's what we talk about in our PM's to each other. "Wow, Beano is soooooo cool. He's like, totally cool. All the chicks want him, all the dudes want to be like him." :D

MamaMia
I surfed the waves at Redondo...pregnant back in the 80s. Gave birth to a healthy 6 lb. 6 oz baby girl at a private hospital in Hermosa Beach acouple of days after one of my best rides.

Mjcpr
When I was about 10 or 12 years ago, a group of us (about 6 guys) went surfing down San Diego way.

Oh man, those were the days when we were all 10 or 12 years ago weren't they?

Mjcpr
5/11/2006, 10:19 AM
I surfed the waves at Redondo...pregnant back in the 80s. Gave birth to a healthy 6 lb. 6 oz baby girl at a private hospital in Hermosa Beach 9 months after one of my best rides.

I'll bet.

:D

Beano's Fourth Chin
5/11/2006, 10:21 AM
I surfed the waves at Redondo...pregnant back in the 80s. Gave birth to a healthy 6 lb. 6 oz baby girl at a private hospital in Hermosa Beach acouple of days after one of my best rides.

Ok, now Norm's post makes more sense.

Howzit
5/11/2006, 10:26 AM
I took a surfing lesson in Hawaii about 3 years ago. It's really not like surfing on your own because the instructor takes you out, stays in the water while you are prone on the board, then gives you a push when a wave is coming in. You get the feel of what it is like to pop up and ride the wave, but when I tried it on my own I didn't have near the success rate.

MamaMia
5/11/2006, 10:26 AM
I'll bet.

:DYeah, and you know what else? I have my own boogie board and still at my age I boogie the waves at South Padre every other year. :D

IB4OU2
5/11/2006, 10:31 AM

Hey Mom, I used to stay at the Portafino Hotel all the time just south of the Cheesecake factory.......lot's of surfer folk around. That place is really built up now, you wouldn't recognize the Redondo beach Pier.

NormanPride
5/11/2006, 10:32 AM
There are waves at South Padre? :confused:

BeetDigger
5/11/2006, 10:32 AM
Yeah, and you know what else? I have my own boogie board and still at my age I boogie the waves at South Padre every other year. :D

So that's what you kids are calling it these days. :texan:

Beano's Fourth Chin
5/11/2006, 10:33 AM
I took a surfing lesson in Hawaii about 3 years ago. It's really not like surfing on your own because the instructor takes you out, stays in the water while you are prone on the board, then gives you a push when a wave is coming in. You get the feel of what it is like to pop up and ride the wave, but when I tried it on my own I didn't have near the success rate.

Do you ever listen to yourself talk, Tobias?

Mjcpr
5/11/2006, 10:33 AM
I'll bet.

What's funny is MOM's quote!!

Hahahahahahahahha

Howzit
5/11/2006, 10:38 AM
Do you ever listen to yourself talk, Tobias?

No, but I watch myself do naughty stuff in the mirror...does that count?

Beano's Fourth Chin
5/11/2006, 10:40 AM
No, but I watch myself do naughty stuff in the mirror...does that count?

If I had your body, I'd never leave the house.

Howzit
5/11/2006, 10:41 AM
If I had your body, I'd never leave the house.

Ok, you can have it. Punkin.

Fugue
Beano/Howzit-Butthole Surfers

Osce0la
heh

Boarder
5/11/2006, 10:46 AM
We surf behind the boat. Inland surfing. Same feel, no deadly shark attacks.

yermom
5/11/2006, 10:50 AM
me and doleo almost died trying to boogie board when in LA in September

it wasn't pretty

Mjcpr
5/11/2006, 10:58 AM
me and doleo almost died trying to boogie board when in LA in September

it wasn't pretty

TMI

Boarder
5/11/2006, 10:59 AM
TMI-Too much information. I used to say, "Don't go there" but that was lame.

sooneron
5/11/2006, 11:01 AM
We surf behind the boat. Inland surfing. Same feel, no deadly shark attacks.
Not so much- boarding behind a boat, you have to keep weight back, whereas, surfing, you have be more distributed to the front of the board.

I used to surf quite a bit - spent a summer at laguna, newport, huntington, cdm.. good times. Surfed a day on the honeymoon last year in Maui.

Sooner in Tampa
5/11/2006, 11:02 AM
I shred on a board, because I stayed at a Holiday in Express last night.

yermom
5/11/2006, 11:03 AM
TMI

yeah, we really should have gotten more than one board

MamaMia
5/11/2006, 11:51 AM
Hey Mom, I used to stay at the Portafino Hotel all the time just south of the Cheesecake factory.......lot's of surfer folk around. That place is really built up now, you wouldn't recognize the Redondo beach Pier.
I wouldnt recognize it. I have only been back to California the once, for the Rose Bowl and we stayed in that Universal/Beverly Hills neighborhood the whole time, except for when we were at the game.

When I lived there, there was a small quaint board walk and the pier of course. I remember all the wonderful fish they would serve with just some fruit or a green salad. You could stroll right up and down and by the pier and eat the best healthy food, prepared right there. I use to have the most wonderful days there.

Can you still do that?

slickdawg
5/11/2006, 11:53 AM
I'll bet.

Man, Mom is getting k1nky on us!

Damned tattoo bill, the world is going to hell now.

Scott D
5/11/2006, 12:25 PM
heh...surfing...that only takes me back about 17 years.

IB4OU2
5/11/2006, 12:40 PM
I wouldnt recognize it. I have only been back to California the once, for the Rose Bowl and we stayed in that Universal/Beverly Hills neighborhood the whole time, except for when we were at the game.

When I lived there, there was a small quaint board walk and the pier of course. I remember all the wonderful fish they would serve with just some fruit or a green salad. You could stroll right up and down and by the pier and eat the best healthy food, prepared right there. I use to have the most wonderful days there.

Can you still do that?

Yes, alot of those places are still there......remember Old Tony's? That place had some of the best seafood anywhere and Captian Kidd's was pretty good too.

Boarder
5/11/2006, 03:10 PM
Not so much- boarding behind a boat, you have to keep weight back, whereas, surfing, you have be more distributed to the front of the board.

I used to surf quite a bit - spent a summer at laguna, newport, huntington, cdm.. good times. Surfed a day on the honeymoon last year in Maui.
I'll take your word for it. I've never ocean surfed. I'm talking about actual surfing behind the boat, though, not wakeboarding.

http://www.alivenotdead.com/files/images/wake%20surf.preview.jpg

Mjcpr
5/11/2006, 03:12 PM
You seem to have lost weight and gained tatoos.

Boarder
5/11/2006, 03:15 PM
Well, yes, but that's not me. I have a much cooler vest/board short combo.

49r
5/12/2006, 11:31 AM
Reminds me of the scene in "Step Into Liquid" where the dudes were surfing the wakes of supertankers in Galveston bay.

Good times.

yermom
5/12/2006, 11:42 AM
Well, yes, but that's not me. I have a much cooler Crocs/vest/board short combo.

do you drink Zima when you wear that?

Boarder
5/12/2006, 01:12 PM
Only with DC. He's Dreamy.

C&CDean
5/12/2006, 01:34 PM
You know, the nerd quotient in this thread is completely off the scale. off. the. scale.

gnarly. hang ten. rip it. stoked. totally tubular. ride the curl. woodies. long boards. groovy. bitchen. beach blanket bingo. frankie. annette. big kahuna. sex wax. skag. double skags.

This vision I'm having of Beano and Howzit doubling up on a long board is cracking me the hell up.

Boarder
5/12/2006, 01:37 PM
You think totally tubular is nerdy? Pffft, what a Frankie you are.

C&CDean
5/12/2006, 01:47 PM
Oh Moondoggy, you like so thrashed it up out there.....