PDA

View Full Version : So, I got a pet complaint from my Apartment office

colleyvillesooner
5/11/2006, 08:42 AM
This morning while I was getting ready, a note was slipped in between my door. I opened it and it said a complaint had been filed about my dog(s). It didn't say what the issue was, just that it was our responsibility to keep the dogs under control, inside or outside. They then attached a copy of the pet lease we signed, and highlighted the part that said (best I can remember) "you agree to remove all pets immediately upon complaints." I think it means multiple complaints and a problem is obvious.

Our dogs do not really bark. They are both small dogs, 14 weeks and 1 year. The only thing I can think of is we are crate training our puppy and she was whining for a while late Monday night. That's the first time since the 3 months we have been there that this has happened. The year old dog barks at other dogs outside, but she is never out there for more than 5 mins alone, and if she starts barking, we go get her and tell her to shut up, and put her back in side. I know I am biased, but I know what a dog is like when they bark all the time, and this is not it.

My girlfriend is going to write a nice letter to the only neighbor that shares a common wall with out town home, saying if there is a problem, please let us know what it is so we can correct it. She will also let her know about the puppy and the crate. Since Monday, she whines for 5 secs, I hit the side of the cage, and she goes right back to sleep.

Anyone else ever dealt with something like this? How much would i take for them to ask us to remove the pets? Wouldn't they have to prove something? IF she just doesn't like dogs, couldn't she just say to them that they bark all night, and it would be her word against ours?

TIA ;)

Mjcpr
5/11/2006, 08:45 AM
This could easily be settled with a 5 iron.

TUSooner
5/11/2006, 08:47 AM
It kinda sounds like the the apartment managers were dropping you a relatively innocuous note just so they could tell the complainer that they "took action" and to cover their a$$e$.

Osce0la
5/11/2006, 08:47 AM
This could easily be settled with a 5 iron.
I was thinking a 7, but I haven't played in a while.

Taxman71
5/11/2006, 08:48 AM
What I would do, in order:

1. Buy an electronic collar. Seems bad, but they work like charms.
2. Move.
3. Nail a dead rat to your neighbor's door.

OU4LIFE
5/11/2006, 08:50 AM
5 iron for you, wedge for me.

colleyvillesooner
5/11/2006, 08:53 AM
I'm gonna call the office at 9 when they open. I know they won't be able to tell me who complained, but at least they could tell me what the complaint was. How else could I fix the problem.

Scott D
5/11/2006, 08:54 AM
You could buy a ball gag for Stanley that should solve the noise complaint ;)

Mjcpr
5/11/2006, 08:54 AM
5 iron for you, wedge for me.

Doesn't matter......I can't hit an iron, again. Right now I'm more likely (and have) to par a hole by hitting driver-7 wood than I am hitting driver-PW.

BeetDigger
5/11/2006, 09:02 AM
Doesn't matter......I can't hit an iron, again. Right now I'm more likely (and have) to par a hole by hitting driver-7 wood than I am hitting driver-PW.

You mean: I'm more likely (and have) to have a triple bogey on a hole by hitting driver-7 wood-five iron-7 iron- putter (from on the apron) than I am hitting driver-7 wood-five iron-7 iron- PW(from on the apron).:texan:

colleyvillesooner
5/11/2006, 09:10 AM
Please go golf up another thread. ;)

colleyvillesooner
5/11/2006, 09:32 AM
Okay, I called and they said my apartment and the apartment two doors down both received letters. That pretty much lets me know which neighbor it was. The guy said it was not a formal violation or anything, just a note.

They said it was the dogs barking at each other. They dogs play, but they hardly ever bark at each other. The 14 week old barely knows how to bark. We've decided against the letter to the neighbor. Just gonna try and keep the dogs from barking when we are there and put them in separate crates when we're gone.

crawfish
5/11/2006, 09:39 AM
When the dogs start to make noise, just turn the stereo up so loud it drowns them out. Then the neighbor can't complain about the dogs.

colleyvillesooner
5/11/2006, 09:47 AM
That sir, is why you get paid the big bucks.

picasso
5/11/2006, 09:51 AM
you've got dogs living with you inside an apartment? brave person.

kind of dogs are they?

usmc-sooner
5/11/2006, 09:52 AM
are any of your neighbors Korean?

tbl
5/11/2006, 09:53 AM
Further proof that cats are the dominant pets...

BeetDigger
5/11/2006, 09:57 AM
Okay, I called and they said my apartment and the apartment two doors down both received letters. That pretty much lets me know which neighbor it was. The guy said it was not a formal violation or anything, just a note.

They said it was the dogs barking at each other. They dogs play, but they hardly ever bark at each other. The 14 week old barely knows how to bark. We've decided against the letter to the neighbor. Just gonna try and keep the dogs from barking when we are there and put them in separate crates when we're gone.

Apartment living is the ****zzzzz. From their perpective, they probably hear the dogs and are just tired of them as they probably don't have one. That's the problem.

sooner n houston
5/11/2006, 10:13 AM
Move to a house!

MamaMia
5/11/2006, 10:13 AM
Screw him! I'd give the neighbor a copy of 'Dick and Jane' and hilite the "Here Spot bark" line, and remind him of the fact that barking is what dogs do. I would tell him that as long as your dogs bark the normal amount, and not to an excess, that you plan on doing nothing. Then I would hand him a copy of the classifieds with the names of all the townhouses that are not dooggie friendly circled in red.

Osce0la
5/11/2006, 10:25 AM
Screw him! I'd give the neighbor a copy of 'Dick and Jane' and hilite the "Here Spot bark" line, and remind him of the fact that barking is what dogs do. I would tell him that as long as your dogs bark the normal amount, and not to an excess, that you plan on doing nothing. Then I would hand him a copy of the classifieds with the names of all the townhouses that are not dooggie friendly circled in red.
:D heh no wonder those Dick and Jane books never work...

NormanPride
5/11/2006, 10:29 AM

Doleo and Jane? ;)

colleyvillesooner
5/11/2006, 10:31 AM
you've got dogs living with you inside an apartment? brave person.

kind of dogs are they?

The 1 year old is a half pug/half boston terrier. The 14 week is a boston terrier. It's a 1400 sq ft, town home, so it's not so bad space wise.

hurricane'bone
5/11/2006, 10:37 AM
http://www.fakecrap.com/images/jokes/dog_doo_hard.jpg
+
http://www.anbg.gov.au/fire_ecology/fire.jpg
+
http://www.vanessanoel.com/front%20door.JPG
=
Good Times.

TexasLidig8r
5/11/2006, 10:52 AM
. . . My girlfriend is going to write a nice letter to the only neighbor that shares a common wall with ou town home, . . .
TIA ;)

Perhaps it is not really the dog issue. Perhaps.. they are just offended.. OFFENDED I say, that you would choose to live in a state of moral turpitude.. Yay VERILY I say... living in sin as God, and the Good Book did NOT intend. Remember.. lust is one of the seven deadly sins which would relegate you to the second level of Dante's hell!!!

No I say.. NO.. Repent your sins! Make an honest woman out of her! REPENT! REPENT!

colleyvillesooner
5/11/2006, 10:58 AM
Don't make me snap your bowtie, mister.

All in due time.

NormanPride
5/11/2006, 11:02 AM
I'd go with the dead rat option. Since there were two notices, there'd be no way of knowing who did it. :D

OU4LIFE
5/11/2006, 11:03 AM

descending blow, Squeek. Descending blow.

BlondeSoonerGirl
5/11/2006, 11:32 AM
I am disappointed in the constitution of that sorry excuse for a turd up there.

BOOOOOO!

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
5/11/2006, 11:37 AM
They may be louder than you think when you aren't home. When I was in college, I brought my dog to my apartment from my parents' house when they went out of town. She was quiet when I was there, but when I left to take some things to the car, I could hear her bark all the way in the parking lot.

ChickSoonerFan
5/11/2006, 11:39 AM
Don't make me snap your bowtie, mister.

All in due time.

:eek:

It is in writing on the internet now for all to see .... no backing out now.

oh...and good for you. :)

Mjcpr
5/11/2006, 11:40 AM
descending blow, Squeek. Descending blow.

Well, alright.....then will you give me a golf tip?

Veritas
5/11/2006, 11:42 AM
Man, you know I loves ya colley, but I hate it when neighbors have dogs. SBSB is right...folks don't know how damn noisy their dogs are when they leave. Our neighbor had a chihuahua that never made a peep when they were home, but about 10 minutes after they'd leave it would start whining and not stop until it heard them coming home.

bri
5/11/2006, 11:44 AM
I had a pet complaint once. It ran away. :(

Mjcpr
5/11/2006, 11:48 AM

They have to have lots of follow-up.

colleyvillesooner
5/11/2006, 11:51 AM
Man, you know I loves ya colley, but I hate it when neighbors have dogs. SBSB is right...folks don't know how damn noisy their dogs are when they leave. Our neighbor had a chihuahua that never made a peep when they were home, but about 10 minutes after they'd leave it would start whining and not stop until it heard them coming home.

Yeah, I hear ya. I'm thinking about setting up my video camera to tape what they do for those 4 hours.

BlondeSoonerGirl

You didn't let him finish did you, Clark?

colleyvillesooner
:eek:

It is in writing on the internet now for all to see .... no backing out now.

oh...and good for you. :)

Bastige. :mad:

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
Man, you know I loves ya colley, but I hate it when neighbors have dogs. SBSB is right...folks don't know how damn noisy their dogs are when they leave. Our neighbor had a chihuahua that never made a peep when they were home, but about 10 minutes after they'd leave it would start whining and not stop until it heard them coming home.I own my house, and I used to let my inside dog stay outside in the backyard if the weather was nice. All I ever saw when I came home was her at the fence to greet me, or she would be sleeping in the storage building. That all changed when my neighbor told me my dog had barked until I came home at 3 in the morning one Saturday night.

OU4LIFE
5/11/2006, 12:00 PM
Well, alright.....then will you give me a golf tip?

I'll sign you up for a lesson with Bruce.

He'll call you with a time.

TexasLidig8r
5/11/2006, 12:25 PM
Isn't it rather interesting that on the night they heard the howling of the dogs.. that said dogs were at your parent's house? :confused:

MamaMia
5/11/2006, 12:53 PM
Yeah, I hear ya. I'm thinking about setting up my video camera to tape what they do for those 4 hours.Does the complaining neighbor have a job and if so, when is he away at work?

colleyvillesooner
5/11/2006, 01:35 PM
Does the complaining neighbor have a job and if so, when is he away at work?

She travels, but when she doesn't she works from home.

It just weird that she turned in me and the person on the other side of her for "dogs bark at each other alot" at the exact same time. Maybe she doesn't know which one it is so she turned in both of them. Thing is, we told her when we first moved in that we had a dog, and if was ever a problem, please don't hesitate to let us know.

Oh, well, we're gonna try to keep it under control.

1stTimeCaller
5/11/2006, 02:02 PM
WTF is wrong with people. Why wouldn't she come say something to you first. I had a neighbor in Denver do the same thing to me. Her door still resents her for not talking to me first about my dog

BlondeSoonerGirl
5/11/2006, 02:07 PM
WTF is wrong with people. Why wouldn't she come say something to you first. I had a neighbor in Denver do the same thing to me. Her door still resents her for not talking to me first about my dog

Yeah, but you ride a Big Wheel.

:eddie:

BigRedJed
5/11/2006, 02:18 PM
I am disappointed in the constitution of that sorry excuse for a turd up there.

BOOOOOO!
www.ratemypoo.com (http://www.ratemypoo.com)

BigRedJed
5/11/2006, 02:20 PM
And seriously, shock collars aren't cruel (or painful) when used correctly. And yes, I've tried them on myself just to be sure. If it's set high enough to cause the dog to yelp or to be frightened, it's set too high.

Viking Kitten
5/11/2006, 02:31 PM
And yes, I've tried them on myself just to be sure.

That's hot.