PDA

View Full Version : Paging OUDoc or anyone that might help.

oumartin
5/10/2006, 08:43 PM
my three year old was on the trampoline today and jumping up and landing on his back. only he was hitting his head more than anything.. he never acted hurt or anything. but this evening he has puked 5 times. could he have made himself sick? a concussion? anything else?

olevetonahill
5/10/2006, 08:47 PM
my three year old was on the trampoline today and jumping up and landing on his back. only he was hitting his head more than anything.. he never acted hurt or anything. but this evening he has puked 5 times. could he have made himself sick? a concussion? anything else?
Dude hes 3 take his azz to the ER . then let us know

BudSooner
5/10/2006, 08:49 PM
Seriously get him to the er, it sounds like a concussion.

BoogercountySooner
5/10/2006, 08:52 PM
Yip ASAP

OKC-SLC
5/10/2006, 08:53 PM
martin, it's probably nothing. Maybe unrelated. And even if it were a concussion, it's highly likely they'll have you take him home and wake him up every hour tonight and make sure he's still ok.

But I wouldn't chance it; i'd take him in. Concussion is often a diagnosis of exclusion, and if he has any neuro deficits there could be something else going on.

sooneron
5/10/2006, 08:53 PM
Concussion

oumartin
5/10/2006, 09:01 PM
I've already called the ER doc. says its not a concussion. he might have made himself dizzy. he didn't hit anything hard. they just say to check his pupils ever little bit.
i appreciate the concern.

olevetonahill
When My kids were little I made a brazilion trips to the ER , the younguns cant really tell ya whats wrong. Id rather pay the er fee and look like an idiot to the er staff and be safe. Than take a chance

BigRedJed
Not a doc, but also wanted to point out that it might be as simple as motion sickness (http://www.umm.edu/altmed/ConsConditions/MotionSicknesscc.html), so don't have a freakout. That said, everyone's advice to take him in is correct, IMO.

When I was a kid (one who really never got motion sickness, BTW), I rode a roller coaster about a dozen times one afternoon and barfed for the next two or three hours. Sometimes the body can just take so much of that type stimulation.

BigRedJed
5/10/2006, 09:02 PM
Oops. Guess you heard from a doc while I was composing. Good advice, too. My guess would be dizzy/motion sickness.

nmsoonergirl
5/10/2006, 09:03 PM
Martin--yes, sounds like a concussion, and yes, you should take him to the ER. They may or may not do a CT scan on him, but if he were my patient, I would definitely want him evaluated ASAP..

Sorry the kiddo isn't feeling well. Let us know how it turns out.

olevetonahill
5/10/2006, 09:03 PM
I've already called the ER doc. says its not a concussion. he might have made himself dizzy. he didn't hit anything hard. they just say to check his pupils ever little bit.
i appreciate the concern.
K so how long has he been off the tramp ? and when did the heaving start ? shouldnt be dizzy for very long after he stopped .

nmsoonergirl
5/10/2006, 09:05 PM
Oh, I just reread your post--I thought he had hit his head on the bar of the trampoline--if he was just hitting on the trampoline, it is definitely less likely to be a concussion. Still, I'd err on the side of overreacting...

slickdawg
ER, without exception. You only have to be wrong ONCE!

oumartin
well, i am having the wife get him ready and she's gonna take him in.
he has been off the tramp for a couple three hours. he never said he was dizzy and he never acted funny. he just puked, said he didnt' feel good. puked again and again. said he felt better. 10 minutes later. he puked one more time. then went and laid down. he's up now and says he feels alot better

BigRedJed
5/10/2006, 09:13 PM
Sounds just lke what happened to me with the roller coaster. I'm not at all disagreeing with the idea of taking him in, just saying don't get overwrought with worry until you know what the problem is.

Penguin
5/10/2006, 09:19 PM
When I was a kid, I fell 6 feet and hit my head. I felt fine for a while but then I started puking about 4 hours later.

I insisted that was I still feeling just fine until the ER doctor asked me what year it was. I didn't know. Turns out I had a concussion. Six years later I lost my virginity. The end.

BigRedJed
5/10/2006, 09:24 PM
After reading a bit into it, apparently the motion sickness can actually be caused by getting off the trampoline. That is, the body and inner-ear has adjusted to the motion, and has to re-adjust to no longer moving like that. That explains why it can come on after getting off the tramp.

BigRedJed
5/10/2006, 09:26 PM
And again, not saying it couldn't be a concussion. Get it checked out.

olevetonahill
5/10/2006, 09:38 PM
When I was a kid, I fell 6 feet and hit my head. I felt fine for a while but then I started puking about 4 hours later.

I insisted that was I still feeling just fine until the ER doctor asked me what year it was. I didn't know. Turns out I had a concussion. Six years later I lost my virginity. The end.
Hey I think lil martin might be a tad young at 9 to lose his tho :eek:

oumartin
5/10/2006, 10:37 PM
okay, update. I took him in to the ER. he checked out fine..
there will be no more trampoline for him however. I don't like the damn things anyhow.

Thank you all for your concern and its very appreciated!!!!!!!!!!

GottaHavePride
5/10/2006, 10:38 PM
After reading a bit into it, apparently the motion sickness can actually be caused by getting off the trampoline. That is, the body and inner-ear has adjusted to the motion, and has to re-adjust to no longer moving like that. That explains why it can come on after getting off the tramp.

Sounds like what happens to sailors when they come ashore.

OKC-SLC
5/10/2006, 10:40 PM
trampolines are of the devil.

sounds like he's fine, and that's great news. Ready to lose his virginity in 6 years Penguin style, I bet.

sooneron
5/10/2006, 10:40 PM
Glad to hear the fella's OK.

OKC-SLC
5/10/2006, 10:41 PM
Sounds like what happens to sailors when they come ashore.
NTTAWWT.

oumartin
5/10/2006, 10:44 PM
u guys can twist anything you sickos!!!!

thats why I love you all.

usmc-sooner
5/10/2006, 10:53 PM
rub some dirt on it

don't raise your kid to be a pansy.

just kidding

olevetonahill
5/11/2006, 12:30 AM
u guys can twist anything you sickos!!!!

thats why I love you all.
speaking of twisting things I like your new avvie ;)
Oh and glad hes Ok let him play on that trampoline as long as you or mom are right there with him

LoyalFan
5/11/2006, 04:59 AM
http://search.netscape.com/ns/boomframe.jsp?query=trampoline+injuries&page=1&offset=1&result_url=redir%3Fsrc%3Dwebsearch%26requestId%3D1 74254dee95679aa%26clickedItemRank%3D3%26userQuery% 3Dtrampoline%2Binjuries%26clickedItemURN%3Dhttp%25 3A%252F%252Fwww.med.umich.edu%252F1libr%252Fpa%252 Fpa_trampinj_hhg.htm%26invocationType%3D-%26fromPage%3DNSCPTop%26amp%3BampTest%3D1&remove_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.med.umich.edu%2F1libr% 2Fpa%2Fpa_trampinj_hhg.htm

'Nuff sed!

Glad the lad is OK.

LF

Okla-homey
5/11/2006, 05:18 AM
okay, update. I took him in to the ER. he checked out fine..
there will be no more trampoline for him however. I don't like the damn things anyhow.

Thank you all for your concern and its very appreciated!!!!!!!!!!

Good. I'm glad he's OK.

I hate tramps too. An awful lot of people have been badly hurt on them. Not as bad as motorcycles, but right up there. BTW, one of my undergrad classmates broke his neck (literally) on one when we were second-semester seniors. He ended up a paraplegic. Good news is Marty managed to graduate three years later. He got a standing o when he rolled across the stage in his wheelchair.

Fast forward to about 1994. Our daughter broke her leg when she was 8 on a tramp. She somehow managed to land between the tramp surface and the metal frame.

achiro
5/11/2006, 06:38 AM
DANG man! NSFW!!!!!:mad:

You may just get a vacation for that one!;)

OUDoc
5/11/2006, 08:28 AM
Sorry, martin, I wasn't around last night.
You did the right thing by taking him to the ER. I would have worried about concussion as well. If he hit his head, then started vomiting alot, I'm not sure you would come to any other conclusion. I'm glad he's okay.

oumartin
5/11/2006, 09:19 AM
dang homey,,, sorry about your daughter getting hurt..

Also, its cool Doc, I didn't know we had a couple more docs on this board..

You guys aint all the big arseholes you pretend to be.!!!!!

OUDoc
5/11/2006, 09:27 AM
**** off, dip****. ;)

Osce0la
5/11/2006, 09:27 AM
dang homey,,, sorry about your daughter getting hurt..

Also, its cool Doc, I didn't know we had a couple more docs on this board..

Everyone probably is, just not when it comes to children and their safety...

MamaMia
5/11/2006, 09:39 AM
i appreciate the concern.I know that you are aware of the fact that the Woodward ER is not real 'health friendly', so to speak.

Second opinions are a good thing.

oumartin
5/11/2006, 09:46 AM
yeah mom, i know. but the nurse was very good it seemed last night and the doc just came in and verified what she said..
he was acting very good by that time so I spect he must of just gotten a little sick.. he's been going 90 to nothing since.

Beano's Fourth Chin
5/11/2006, 09:47 AM
Now that all the doctors are in one place, I have a crick in my neck. Make it go away please.

I got it by making a really mean "bad guy" face while I was pretending to be captain hook this morning. I tightened my neck and shoulder muscles for effect and ting there it was a crick. A bad one too.

oumartin
5/11/2006, 09:52 AM
a little protein rub will do the trick..
at least it appears to make my wife move better after i hear.
"not tonight my neck hurts" then i wait for her to fall asleep and give her the protein rub and wake her up..
shes generally mad as heck but moving nicely.

Beano's Fourth Chin
5/11/2006, 09:54 AM
Role of the Arabidopsis RING-H2 Protein RBX1 in RUB Modification and SCF Function
William M. Gray1, Hanjo Hellmann, Sunethra Dharmasiri2 and Mark Estelle2,3

Molecular, Cell, and Developmental Biology Section, The University of Texas, Austin, Texas 78712

3 To whom correspondence should be addressed. E-mail [email protected]; fax 812-855-6082

The ubiquitin-related protein RUB/Nedd8 is conjugated to members of the cullin family of proteins in plants, animals, and fungi. In Arabidopsis, the RUB conjugation pathway consists of a heterodimeric E1 (AXR1-ECR1) and a RUB-E2 called RCE1. The cullin CUL1 is a subunit in SCF-type ubiquitin protein ligases (E3s), including the SCFTIR1 complex, which is required for response to the plant hormone auxin. Our previous studies showed that conjugation of RUB to CUL1 is required for normal SCFTIR1 function. The RING-H2 finger protein RBX1 is a subunit of SCF complexes in fungi and animals. The function of RBX1 is to bind the ubiquitin-conjugating enzyme E2 and bring it into close proximity with the E3 substrate. We have identified two Arabidopsis genes encoding RING-H2 proteins related to human RBX1. Studies of one of these proteins indicate that, as in animals and fungi, Arabidopsis RBX1 is an SCF subunit. Reduced RBX1 levels result in severe defects in growth and development. Overexpression of RBX1 increases RUB modification of CUL1. This effect is associated with reduced auxin response and severe growth defects similar to those observed in axr1 mutants. As in the axr1 mutants, RBX1 overexpression stabilizes the SCFTIR1 substrate AXR2/IAA7. The RBX1 protein is a component of SCF complexes in Arabidopsis. In addition to its direct role in SCF E3 ligase activity, RBX1 promotes the RUB modification of CUL1 and probably functions as an E3 ligase in the RUB pathway. Hypermodification of CUL1 disrupts SCFTIR1 function, suggesting that cycles of RUB conjugation and removal are important for SCF activity.