PDA

View Full Version : Tonight I am going to see Bob Dylan...

OUinFLA
5/10/2006, 01:58 PM
at the University of South Florida Sun Dome in Tampa.

Ironically, he was at his peak when I was a student at OU.
We would sit around in a less than straight mental state and try to decipher what he actually meant by the words to his songs.

Years later in an interview on TV, he informed everyone that those who would come up to him and say " I understand your music and I realize what you are trying to convey..." really had no clue as to what was in his head.

If only he had told me that years ago, I could have not wasted so many nights being wasted trying to "get it".

IB4OU2
5/10/2006, 02:11 PM
at the University of South Florida Sun Dome in Tampa.

Ironically, he was at his peak when I was a student at OU.
We would sit around in a less than straight mental state and try to decipher what he actually meant by the words to his songs.

Years later in an interview on TV, he informed everyone that those who would come up to him and say " I understand your music and I realize what you are trying to convey..." really had no clue as to what was in his head.

If only he had told me that years ago, I could have not wasted so many nights being wasted trying to "get it".

Cool Fla.! 'Most of Time'........ I was.......'Tangled up in Blue'......too.....after listening to some of his songs.....:)

My favorite though is 'Girl from the North Country', not much of the music of my generation compares to Dylan..... toke-toke-cough-cough. :P

TUSooner
5/10/2006, 02:11 PM
Ask him if he has a house across the street from Audubon Park near Tulane. Everybody says so, but I won't believe it unless he says so.
I'll wait here for your answer.

sooneron
5/10/2006, 02:12 PM
I hope they have subtitles for the crowd.

OUinFLA
5/10/2006, 02:12 PM
my answer? or his?

Heck, Im afraid to talk to the man, you can't understand him anyway.

lexsooner
5/10/2006, 02:14 PM
Once upon a time - you feel so fine - in your prime - Al Goldstein - doin a line - holding a sign - asking for a dime . . . . .

The same with John Lennon. There's this story about some who dude once went to his estate (not to kill him) but sort of like a pilgrimage to Mecca. Lennon came out and the dude was in awe and full of praise for the deep meaning of Lennon's lyrics. Lennon was dumbfounded and replied in his nasely Northern English accent, "They're just words, man."

TUSooner
5/10/2006, 02:24 PM
I hope they have subtitles for the crowd.
Somebody I know, who is obviously much cooler than I am because he went to Jazzfest and i didn't, said Dylan's performance there was great and that he was coherent and laughing and talking with the crowd. I hope he's that way inTampa

sooneron
5/10/2006, 02:48 PM
Once upon a time - you feel so fine - in your prime - Al Goldstein - doin a line - holding a sign - asking for a dime . . . . .

The same with John Lennon. There's this story about some who dude once went to his estate (not to kill him) but sort of like a pilgrimage to Mecca. Lennon came out and the dude was in awe and full of praise for the deep meaning of Lennon's lyrics. Lennon was dumbfounded and replied in his nasely Northern English accent, "They're just words, man."
That, in a nutshell, is why I liked JL.

OUAndy1807
5/10/2006, 06:40 PM
be prepared to be disapointed.

he's worth seeing because of who he is, but I've been less than happy every time I've seen him live.

etouffee
5/10/2006, 06:42 PM
be prepared to be disapointed.

he's worth seeing because of who he is, but I've been less than happy every time I've seen him live.ditto. seen him twice, haven't been impressed either time. also, the shows were really short both times, as concerts go.

OUAndy1807
5/10/2006, 06:44 PM
you know how when a band tours for a while, they start changing up the tunes a little just to make it interesting? Imagine 30 years of changes on top of changes. I'm a big Dylan fan, but I had trouble recognizing some of the tunes.

etouffee
5/10/2006, 06:48 PM
you know how when a band tours for a while, they start changing up the tunes a little just to make it interesting? Imagine 30 years of changes on top of changes. I'm a big Dylan fan, but I had trouble recognizing some of the tunes.
You mean musical changes, right? Cuz it's not like anyone would notice if he changed all the words around, since nobody knows what the hell the words were in the first place. :D

King Crimson
5/10/2006, 07:12 PM
"Johnny's in the basement, mixing up the medicine..."
to the thoughtful:

i'm not on board with calling subterranean homesick blues: "nonsense".

JMHO.

olevetonahill
5/10/2006, 07:20 PM
I always took his song Lay Lady Lay to heart , Im still working on geting the Ladies laid down On my Big brass bed .;)

AlbqSooner
5/10/2006, 07:47 PM
I think I saw Dylan at OU in like '78 or '79. Someone help me out here. Was that a vivid hallucination or did he play Lloyd Noble around that time?

olevetonahill
5/10/2006, 08:34 PM
I think I saw Dylan at OU in like '78 or '79. Someone help me out here. Was that a vivid hallucination or did he play Lloyd Noble around that time?
you kids still dropped acid in the late 70s ? hell I quit in 69 ;)

OUAndy1807
5/10/2006, 10:10 PM
Song for Woody is my fav.

sooneron
5/10/2006, 10:30 PM
Pretty much anything off Blood On The Tracks RMFO.

King Crimson
5/10/2006, 10:39 PM
meet me in the morning is a good one on Blood/tracks.

Blonde on Blonde is my personal favorite along with bringing it all back home and Highway 69....and Nashville Skyline is real good but it's about 31 minutes long. freewheelin' is great, but you might as well just listen to woody. some of the Dylan Bootleg series released int eh late 80's and later is pretty fantastic. basement tapes with the Band has some great moments, too.

i read an interesting review with Johnny Marr he said he couldn't make that noise on how soon is now again if i had to......he'd used a butter knife or something in the studio along with the delay.

sooneron
5/10/2006, 10:42 PM
i read an interesting review with Johnny Marr he said he couldn't make that noise on how soon is now again if i had to......he'd used a butter knife or something in the studio along with the delay.
Sweet! I'll get to work on that with one of our's and my Ibanez!

King Crimson
5/10/2006, 10:46 PM
might be a little $ in it fer ya.....

OUAndy1807
5/10/2006, 10:48 PM
some of the Dylan Bootleg series released int eh late 80's and later is pretty fantastic. basement tapes with the Band has some great moments, too.

word.

sooneron
5/10/2006, 10:49 PM
Damn YOU! Now I'm over on Guitaretab looking at Smiths tabs! Lost sleep, yet again!

picasso
5/10/2006, 10:53 PM
great painting music.

sooneron
5/10/2006, 10:54 PM
I think Carol Beasley used to crank some Bob back in Life Drawing days.

OUinFLA
5/10/2006, 11:04 PM
Ok, just got back from the Sun Dome:

If you had told me 40 years ago that someday I would go to a Dylan concert with a Country Band being the opening act, I would have laughed my butt off at the thought!

Well tonight, Merle Haggard was the opening act for Dylan, and I've got to say it was fantastic hearing "The Hag". For an old guy, his voice is unbelievably strong! The crowd loved him, he played for about 45 minutes with a back up group called "The Strangers"

Dylan was Dylan as you would expect. His band was great, as was to be expected. Dylan only played the keyboard tonight, with his trademark harmonica on half the songs.

He played a lot of his old stuff, but he has upgraded all his music, the inflections, rhythms, and style are quite different from the original tunes. Someone suggested that in a previous post above. My wife, said, I liked the originals better, and I replied: we like what we used to hear, and he probably gets kinda tired of playing the same 100 or so songs the same way after 40 years and just upgraded his tunes. Actually, if you can believe this, I only recognized some of the songs when I could catch a phrase I would recognize, then the song begin to fit in better with my memory of the original tune. None of his current renditions are the same as the originals.

As always over the past 40 years, "subtitles" would have been a great boon to figuring out exactly what he was playing.

I also understand the post above regarding the dissappointment of his concerts, I went because I have never seen the man play live, and no matter what you think of his music, then and now, the man is a genius and a legend that shouldn't be missed in your lifetime. I doubt I'd go see another, but I will cherish the memory of finally seeing the musician that was so contributory to the industry for several decades.

All in all, a great evening. Next concert is Steely Dan along with Michael McDonald in August.

etouffee
5/10/2006, 11:16 PM
steely dan is touring again? awesome. last time i saw them was in dallas 4 or 5 years ago. great show.

OUAndy1807
5/10/2006, 11:29 PM
I also understand the post above regarding the dissappointment of his concerts, I went because I have never seen the man play live, and no matter what you think of his music, then and now, the man is a genius and a legend that shouldn't be missed in your lifetime. I doubt I'd go see another, but I will cherish the memory of finally seeing the musician that was so contributory to the industry for several decades.
don't let the stuff I said above fool you, I go see him anytime he's within driving distance. It is Dylan afterall.

Flagstaffsooner
5/11/2006, 12:28 AM
I hope you were in a "Rainy Day Women" frame of mind.:D