PDA

View Full Version : Josh Heupel is the Key to the National Title

starrca23
5/10/2006, 12:03 PM
I am glad no. 14 is back in the fold. I think he has the ability to help Rhett develop into the quarterback he needs to be for the Sooners to win it all. I felt that you could already see that he had an impact on Rhett in San Diego. Rhett through more touch passes in that game than he had all year. We know the recieving corp and running game is legit. and everyone knows defense is spelled S-O-O-N-E-R-S. If the o-line is average, we should be in a good place. Anyone agree?

Tear Down This Wall
5/10/2006, 12:09 PM
We all agree that Rhett should pull his head out of his arse, both off the field (alcohol infractions) and on (the stupid spike at the end of the lame duck fart of bowl game in San Diego).

starrca23
5/10/2006, 12:15 PM
Man, You in a bad mood or are you always like this, Wall?

Tear Down This Wall
5/10/2006, 12:15 PM
I need pizza.

starrca23
5/10/2006, 12:18 PM
and a bottle of vodka. Oh, wait that could be Russian, you better have a Coors so the whole communism thing doesn't get you worked up again. :)

Tear Down This Wall
5/10/2006, 12:56 PM
Pepsi

toast
5/10/2006, 01:18 PM
I certainly don't think it will hurt. However, a lot of it will depend upon Rhett and how much he wants to work and learn. Josh can't push him to work in the off-season (call the receivers together, study film). Jason made comments that it was nice to have Josh on the sidelines, we'll see if Rhett takes advantage of it as well.

NormanPride
5/10/2006, 01:23 PM
I hate to be the downer, but Josh has proved nothing as a QB coach. Heck, he didn't really prove much as a TE coach at Arizona... He's just too young to have done anything.

He's got a tough job... recruit well after a down year, and teach a cocky a-hole not to do stupid crap on and off the field. :D

Octavian
5/10/2006, 01:29 PM
imo Its all about the OLine in 06.

runner1182
5/10/2006, 01:40 PM
yeah josh will definitly help rhett especially if the sooners live up to their potential, since he has been there before and give him some helpful hints like not to make headlines for his drinking but instead for his play on the field

BASSooner
5/10/2006, 02:26 PM
the fate of the whole season is going to be determined by the OLine so i'll be watching them when i go up there in august

NickZeppelin
5/10/2006, 02:30 PM
I don't know if Josh can help Rhett anymore. But the QB play isn't as important as the defense and the line play. The last 4 games of the 2000 season our QB play wasn't that good. But we still won it all.

Partial Qualifier
5/10/2006, 02:48 PM
Oh my. Freaking God.

swardboy
5/10/2006, 03:21 PM
STop the inSanIty!!!!

sooner94
5/10/2006, 04:20 PM
I don't know if Josh can help Rhett anymore. But the QB play isn't as important as the defense and the line play. The last 4 games of the 2000 season our QB play wasn't that good. But we still won it all.

Dude, that is funny.

Was the QB play not that good or was it 7 or 8 defenders dropped back in coverage? Heupel had all day to throw but no one was open.

sooner94
5/10/2006, 04:24 PM
Heupel was like a coach on the field those 2 years he played for us. He was a great QB, despite not being very fast and not having a cannon for an arm.

Those are the kinds of players that make good coaches.

Hell, if things aren't going well we can sneak Heupel into the game wearing Bomar's jersey. Just don't call a QB run. ;)

okienole3
5/10/2006, 04:24 PM
Heupel was like a coach on the field those 2 years he played for us. He was a great QB, despite not being very fast and not having a cannon for an arm.

Those are the kinds of players that make good coaches.

Hell, if things aren't going well we can sneak Heupel into the game wearing Bomar's jersey. Just don't call a QB run. ;)

I think they might notice when he throws lefty.

sooner94
5/10/2006, 04:31 PM

The University of Texas wouldn't notice.:D

birddog
5/10/2006, 04:38 PM
back to your old antics huh? i forgot heupel's wrist was in terrific shape at the end of the year. that'll effect his coaching rhett i'm sure.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

NormanPride
5/10/2006, 04:48 PM
Actually, Nick's point is pretty valid, though I think he worded it poorly. QB production was lower than the beginning of the season. Partly due to defensive adjustments and partly due to Josh's health. Jason was still a great QB and an even better leader, he was just injured and people were adjusting to the system.

However, I don't agree with Josh not being able to help Rhett... Rhett has a long way to go before he's a great college QB, and I think Josh can get him there.

birddog
5/10/2006, 04:50 PM
i was just pointing out why the production wasn't there. nick never elaborates on anything AT ALL.

william_brasky
5/10/2006, 04:54 PM
If the o-line is average, we should be in a good place. Anyone agree?

I disagree.

NickZeppelin
5/10/2006, 05:00 PM
Dude, that is funny.

Was the QB play not that good or was it 7 or 8 defenders dropped back in coverage? Heupel had all day to throw but no one was open.

When you have all day to throw you'll have someone open. Heupel was hurt the last 4 games of that season. And only 2 teams really dropped back in coverage all game. Tech and OSU. KSU and FSU blitzed a lot. Heupel just couldn't be as accurate as he liked a lot of the time. Although against FSU he was pretty impressive at times still. He just wasn't as good as he was early in the season.

What made that team so great though was the defense. That's going to be what determines this years team also. Our offense needs to be about 80-90% AD.

BASSooner
5/10/2006, 05:01 PM
80-90% with JUST AD? I disagree with that.

NickZeppelin
5/10/2006, 05:03 PM
Well maybe not that much but it needs to be AD first. And he needs to get about atleast 25 carries a game IMO.

Socrefbek
5/10/2006, 05:04 PM
Please

God.

Make

It

Stop.

Rooster
5/10/2006, 05:06 PM
And only 2 teams really dropped back in coverage all game

If you knew anything about josh, you would know that he threw short passes, which he was really good at completing to set up the long pass...he wrote that in his book...if only 2 teams dropped back, then he accomplished what he set out to do...

BASSooner
5/10/2006, 05:06 PM
I think we're going to be very diverse on offense this year. AD won't only run the ball but also catch it and he won't be the only player that will get the ball but I see what you are saying that AD is a guarantee near 100% execution on plays but, I would not mainly rely on him for OUr games.

NickZeppelin
5/10/2006, 05:16 PM
If you knew anything about josh, you would know that he threw short passes, which he was really good at completing to set up the long pass...he wrote that in his book...if only 2 teams dropped back, then he accomplished what he set out to do...
I don't disagree. BTW he still threw a TD pass against OSU. And he led a 99 yard drive against them. That was one of his better games even if the stats don't show it Tech he played really bad against but he still led 2 or 3 key drives. Josh was a leader no doubt and if it weren't for him we don't go undefeated that year. But by the end of the season he wasn't the biggest part of that team. There wasn't a part of that team that was really big. It was a unit especially on defense.

If Brandon Daniels was the QB the last 4 games we still win those last 4 games. The offense alone scored 58 points the last 4 games of the season. Now throw in the points that game from the defense and it's 77. That's still under 19 a game.

Crimson Kid
5/10/2006, 05:18 PM
Nick.

Josh can teach rhett alot about the paper game, he may not have the skills rhett has, but i think he has a better understanding of the game and could still read a defence better then rhett can.

Bomar still hasd alot to learn, and josh is just the man to teach it to him.

NickZeppelin
5/10/2006, 05:20 PM
Rhett still has a long ways to go. But you think Chuck Long knows nothing about the game and how to be a QB? Chuck's credintials right now are much better then Josh's are. Maybe Josh will become a better OC/QB coach then Chuck but Rhett's been coached by a damn good QB coach the last 2 years.

Crimson Kid
5/10/2006, 05:24 PM
I hear you, but he's not here now, and just because josh don't have the record chuck does, don't mean he can't teach rhett anything.

Im sure one thing we can agree on is..

Between both chuck and josh, rhett "should" turn out to be a great QB.

sooner n houston
5/10/2006, 05:32 PM
I'm sure y'all have seen this but I'll post it here anyway! :D

Heupel settling in

By Carey Murdock, SoonerScoop.com Editor – Rivals.com

This spring was a new experience for former star quarterback Josh Heupel. Heupel was able to work his way into the staff last season when he joined the team before the Holiday Bowl.

But Heupel was able to get more involved with Rhett Bomar and he also was able to groom newcomer Joey Halzle. Heupel spoke with members of the media recently and gave his thoughts on spring practices and how everything turned out as one of the Sooners' newest assistants.

Q: How do you feel about how your quarterbacks were able to progress during the spring?
Josh Heupel: Both of them have a better understanding of what we're trying to accomplish as we went through the spring. We still have a long ways to go at the quarterback position and as an offense heading into the summer workouts. Both of them have continued to work and gotten better but we need to have great summers if we're going to end up where we need to be next fall.

Q: How about yourself and shaking off the rust of coaching quarterbacks?
Heupel: I'm glad to be back. We have a lot of great athletes here and a great, young, talented football team. Hopefully we'll be ready to go in the summer.

Q: What is the plan to get the quarterbacks ready for next year from this point on?
Heupel: The spring is really all about feeding them as much as you can to see what they can grasp and handle and to find out what they're good at and what they're not good at. We see how much they can handle before you head into fall camp so you can eliminate mistakes each and every Saturday that they come out on the football field.

This summer they'll have an opportunity to get out there with the wide receivers and we really need to get better at our timing and those guys will continue to throw 7-on-7s occasionally and they'll get a better understanding of defenses and their read progressions and they'll have a better understanding of getting rid of the ball at the right time.

Q: Were you able to make as much progress with the quarterbacks as you had hoped heading into the spring?
Heupel: We were able to implement some new schemes and some stuff with Coach Wilson. Obviously there were a bunch of changes as position coaches as well. I think those guys were able to grasp it really well and hopefully they'll continue to get better during the summer.

Those guys can really grasp a lot. For us, taking care of the football is priority number one and those guys need to continue to develop that.

Both of them are very talented. They're talented in different areas. The best thing we can do is develop our timing with our wide receivers, whether it be a curl or a corner route.

Q: I take it you were able to learn a lot more about Rhett and what makes him tick this spring as opposed to just a few practices before the bowl game?
Heupel: There's no doubt when you're a new coach and working with kids at your position, you learn as much from them as they do from you. That will only help us to continue to develop as we go through the summer.

I think you're just learning their thought process and what makes them tick, their demeanor, how they attack the day and what buttons you can and can't push with them to get them going. I think that's exciting as a coach, to find ways to motivate your players.

Q: How do you rate your progress as a coach this spring?
Heupel: The different places I've been have no doubt helped me as a coach and my development. Getting back to quarterbacks is something I've really enjoyed. Coaching the position that you played and the familiarity – the difference is you can talk about the experiences you had when you played and that's better than when you're coaching a position that you haven't played before. When situations arise you know what the feeling is and the players can feel that. All those things help you at the position.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news?slug=rivals-21124&prov=rivals&type=lgns

soonerinabilene
5/10/2006, 05:34 PM
I don't disagree. BTW he still threw a TD pass against OSU. And he led a 99 yard drive against them. That was one of his better games even if the stats don't show it Tech he played really bad against but he still led 2 or 3 key drives. Josh was a leader no doubt and if it weren't for him we don't go undefeated that year. But by the end of the season he wasn't the biggest part of that team. There wasn't a part of that team that was really big. It was a unit especially on defense.

If Brandon Daniels was the QB the last 4 games we still win those last 4 games. The offense alone scored 58 points the last 4 games of the season. Now throw in the points that game from the defense and it's 77. That's still under 19 a game.

wow. just wow. heupels leadership and brains didnt win those games?? you think daniels would have called or made that 4th down option play against ksu in the ccg? im not doubting that the defense was a big part, but josh was THE leader of the entire TEAM, not just the offense. without him, we lose the ccg, maybe the osu game, and not even go to the mnc game.

MamaMia
5/10/2006, 05:52 PM
Josh Heupel is the Key to the National Title That may be true grasshopper, but it will take the whole team to open the door. ;)

Crimson Kid
5/10/2006, 06:11 PM
That may be true grasshopper, but it will take the whole team to open the door. ;)

Master!! :D

Big Red Ron
5/10/2006, 06:25 PM
didn't josh handle much of the qb coaching while long was here and jw was at the helm?

toast
5/10/2006, 06:28 PM
Josh was a GA with the o-line, correct? He was on the sidelines during the games and interacted with the QBs while Long was up in the booth.

FaninAma
5/10/2006, 06:53 PM
and a bottle of vodka. Oh, wait that could be Russian, you better have a Coors so the whole communism thing doesn't get you worked up again. :)

Speaking of vodka, has anyone tried the Absolut vanilla vodka with Coke?

sooner n houston
5/10/2006, 06:58 PM
Nevermind! :D

Big Red Ron
5/10/2006, 07:02 PM
Speaking of vodka, has anyone tried the Absolut vanilla vodka with Coke?What a darn good idea! BRB!:D

NickZeppelin
5/10/2006, 07:20 PM
wow. just wow. heupels leadership and brains didnt win those games?? you think daniels would have called or made that 4th down option play against ksu in the ccg? im not doubting that the defense was a big part, but josh was THE leader of the entire TEAM, not just the offense. without him, we lose the ccg, maybe the osu game, and not even go to the mnc game.
The defense is what won those games not the QB play or the offense. I agree we aren't gonna win an NC that year without Josh. But the last 4 games was all defense. Again the offense scored 14.5 ppg the last 4 games that season. Our defense gave up like 6 a game or something rediculous if you take out the turnovers that we gave teams from our offense.

FaninAma
5/10/2006, 07:25 PM
Everyone has already stated the obvious: if the OL comes together and pass blocks as well as the 2000 offensive line did then Rhett and OU are going to rock and roll. If the OL comes together and run blocks as well as the 2002 line did for Q then AD and OU will rock and roll. If the OL can do both then we're talking about a very special season.

Half a Hundred
5/10/2006, 09:05 PM
Can we change the maximum negspek description from "one bad dude" to "so and so is dumber than NickZeppelin"? 'Cause that would be awesome.

goingoneight
5/10/2006, 10:08 PM

And Heupel actually knows how to freaking slide or get out of bounds...

olevetonahill
5/10/2006, 10:35 PM
Joshs QB production those last few games was limited by his elbow on his throwing arm . Anyone remember seeing that picture where it had swelled to almost grapefruit size ? I know that hurt , cause not long after I hurt my elbow and it only swelled to about a goose egg size and I almost cried like a nick . But josh just kept on doing his job .
So yes I also think he will be a great influence on R.B
I look for this season to be as magical as the 2000 :)
Opposing Ds will key on AD and Bomar will year em up , they try to stop the pass and AD will tear em up :cool:
all said aint it great to be a SOONER

NickZeppelin
5/10/2006, 10:37 PM
Joshs QB production those last few games was limited by his elbow on his throwing arm . Anyone remember seeing that picture where it had swelled to almost grapefruit size ? I know that hurt , cause not long after I hurt my elbow and it only swelled to about a goose egg size and I almost cried like a nick . But josh just kept on doing his job .

That's what I've been trying to say olevet.

Opposing Ds will key on AD and Bomar will year em up , they try to stop the pass and AD will tear em up :cool:
all said aint it great to be a SOONER

I'm not so sure if Bomar is ready to step it up like that yet. He's not shown he can. But maybe he can prove that he's different this year.

olevetonahill
5/10/2006, 11:54 PM
That's what I've been trying to say olevet.

I'm not so sure if Bomar is ready to step it up like that yet. He's not shown he can. But maybe he can prove that he's different this year.
You didnt say he waas hurt you said he didnt perform
Rhett Bomar will be just fine , AD wins the heisman this year RB the next book it ;)

starrca23
5/11/2006, 08:36 AM
Sometimes it is not what is said that makes a difference as much as who says it. I think Josh has more credibility with Rhett than did Chuck just beacuse Rhett actually saw Josh play. Not that Josh is a better coach, he just relates a little better.
I personally would like to see Rhett throws a better deep ball. Similar to what No. 14 did back in the day. I don't think our o-line has to be spectacular. Rhett has good feet, and I heard the running back is pretty good as well. We don't need 7 seconds to throw or a whole the size of Ricky Williams pot stash to run through.
The biggest thing that Rhett needs to learn is that a quarterback doesn't have to be the playmaker, he just sets up others to make those plays. With our recievers he doesn't have to be perfect, just get it close and let them make a play.

MikeInNorman
5/11/2006, 01:08 PM
didn't josh handle much of the qb coaching while long was here and jw was at the helm?

No.

NormanPride
5/11/2006, 01:25 PM
Rhett didn't really get much time with Chuck his RS year. Chuck was concentrating on running the offense and preparing white. Then in the summer and fall Rhett split time with ENA. This will be the first year he's been #1 the whole time and gone through all the training being the #1 guy. That makes a huge difference as far as the learning curve.

stonecoldsoonerfan
5/11/2006, 04:11 PM

two or three more posts by you and i think i'll be able to isolate the defective gene that makes you post such idiotic things.

starrca23
12/13/2006, 09:27 AM
Well, Rhett blew the point of this thread, but I think we can all agree, looking back that Josh was a huge help this year with PT. It will be neat to see what he can do with the young guys next year.

sooner518
12/13/2006, 10:44 AM
there was an article in the Tulsa World yesterday talking about our QB situation for next year. Sure sounded like Heupel was pimping Halzle over Bradford at the moment.

SoonerStormchaser
12/13/2006, 10:45 AM
Sure we can't find one more year of eligibility left for Jason?

sooner n houston
12/13/2006, 10:48 AM
Well, Rhett blew the point of this thread, but I think we can all agree, looking back that Josh was a huge help this year with PT. It will be neat to see what he can do with the young guys next year.

And I think we can all agree, thank God Nick is gone! :D

yermom
12/13/2006, 01:16 PM
He's got a tough job... recruit well after a down year, and teach a cocky a-hole not to do stupid crap on and off the field. :D

heh. too late.

Egeo
12/13/2006, 01:44 PM
And I think we can all agree, thank God Nick is gone! :D
just looking at this last page... the defense was the key in 2000 (late in the year)

starrca23
12/13/2006, 01:50 PM
Defense is always the key. But we can also agree that Heupel did a great job of taking what the defense gave, and not getting picked off.

Seamus
12/13/2006, 02:39 PM
Good thread, but it dredged up Das Nick. :eek:

starrca23
12/13/2006, 03:35 PM
I was too young in those days to know of the dreaded Nicholas. I guess he wasn't too nice.

soonerhubs
12/14/2006, 01:00 AM
I was too young in those days to know of the dreaded Nicholas. I guess he wasn't too nice.

The moron thought Stoops should be fired. It's not that he was mean, he was just obscenely stupid. And NZ if you're lurking and reading this, than I'll say you're just obscenely stupid.

starrca23
12/14/2006, 10:04 AM
Fire Stoops?! I bet that is the easiest way to get banned around here.