PDA

View Full Version : OKC Newscaster

Mjcpr
5/10/2006, 11:44 AM
I don't know the guy, but I figured some of you OKC peeps would.

Newscaster falls into coma after illness
newsok.com/article/183972...=home/main (http://newsok.com/article/1839729/?template=home/main)
By Diane Clay
The Oklahoman

Oklahoma City broadcaster Brad Edwards suffered an aneurysm and fell into a coma Tuesday after being hospitalized because of a bacterial infection of his heart.
Officials said the newsman, known for his "In Your Corner" segments on KFOR-4, had been diagnosed with endocarditis and vasculitis, which is inflammation of the heart and blood vessels caused by a bacterial infection. Left untreated, the condition is fatal.

He had said in a newscast from his hospital bed at 10 p.m. Monday that he was admitted unconscious to intensive care at the end of April.

"They had to give me a lot of antibiotics to hold off the infection, and finally brought me around. Thanks to the doctors here, I was able to pull through this weekend, because I almost didn't," he said.

Edwards said he noticed symptoms of a problem a few months ago, including a quaver in his voice.

By the end of March, he was in too much pain to walk.

"They are all curious about what this is, and why it hit so fast and what could cause that," he said.

Edwards' rare heart condition is most often caused by bacteria that find their way into the blood stream and cause infections in the heart and blood vessels.

The symptoms of endocarditis, which include muscle aches, night sweats and painless red skin spots, may develop slowly or suddenly.

According to the National Institutes of Health, while anyone is susceptible, a history of congenital heart disease, rheumatic fever, recent dental work or intravenous drug use raises the index of suspicion. A physical exam may show an enlarged spleen.

Complications of the infection can include congestive heart failure, blood clots, stroke, heart valve damage, kidney disease and jaundice.

Doctors said the earlier the problem is treated, the better the chance for good outcomes.

BlondeSoonerGirl
5/10/2006, 11:44 AM
We all need to get in Brad's corner.

BigRedJed
5/10/2006, 11:45 AM
That is the succ.

Boomer.....
5/10/2006, 04:50 PM
Bad deal! :(

sooneron
5/10/2006, 04:53 PM
That's too bad. I feel like I grew up watching he and Linda C.

BSG- that was both funny and true.

Sooner_Bob
5/10/2006, 05:03 PM
Get well Brad!!

Czar Soonerov
5/10/2006, 05:39 PM
I met him once when I worked at Sutherlands. He was looking at our carpet. He wanted to know if we installed, etc.... I thought he was going to do a report on how we ripped somebody off or something, so I was all leary talking to him. He just wanted new carpet. heh

I sure hope he recovers...

Mjcpr
5/10/2006, 06:29 PM
I met him once when I worked at Sutherlands. He was looking at our carpet.

Did you kick his ***?

BudSooner
5/10/2006, 07:16 PM
Man that sucks, is that a pretty rare thing?

walkoffsooner
5/10/2006, 07:44 PM
Say a prayer for Brad.