PDA

View Full Version : When did OU start giving out football scholliies?

stoopified
5/9/2006, 05:19 PM
I have never read anything about when OU or any schools for that matter started the practice of athletic scholarships.Does anyone know?I would be curious to find out what school and sport started it all.

stoopified
5/11/2006, 04:41 PM
JKM I thought this aws something you might know.Does anyone know?

1stTimeCaller
5/11/2006, 04:56 PM
1969ish for black kids at the University of Texas. ;)

John Kochtoston
5/11/2006, 05:13 PM
Dunno about OU specifically, but the idea of athletic scholarships began in the early part of the 20th Century as a way to curb the use of ringers and the inducements given to said ringers. The forerunner to the NCAA passed rules that said players on college teams had to attend the college the represented and could only receive education-related money and benefits. This program was a rousing success and completely eliminated all cheating in college athletic recruiting.

sooner94
5/11/2006, 07:07 PM
Dunno about OU specifically, but the idea of athletic scholarships began in the early part of the 20th Century as a way to curb the use of ringers and the inducements given to said ringers. The forerunner to the NCAA passed rules that said players on college teams had to attend the college the represented and could only receive education-related money and benefits. This program was a rousing success and completely eliminated all cheating in college athletic recruiting.

:D