PDA

View Full Version : A night in Sallisaw

handcrafted
5/9/2006, 03:47 PM
For some strange reason I'm still not able to fathom, my employer is sending me to a meeting in Stilwell in about 10 days. I get to stay overnight in Sallisaw.

Anyone from out those parts can tell me if there's anything fun to do out there? Unless I get some advice, I'll be stuck in a hotel room for close to 24 hours (minus the meeting) and I foresee boredom on the horizon.

mdklatt
5/9/2006, 03:52 PM
I'll be stuck in a hotel room for close to 24 hours (minus the meeting) and I foresee boredom on the horizon.

I'm pretty sure there will be a Bible in the nightstand for you to read....

;)

handcrafted
5/9/2006, 03:54 PM
I'm pretty sure there will be a Bible in the nightstand for you to read....

;)

These days I doubt it. Koran and Book of Mormon, more likely. ;)

Jimminy Crimson
5/9/2006, 04:10 PM
Used to be some good cockfighting in those parts.

Still might be...

5/9/2006, 04:11 PM
After a dinner at Shad's Catfish Hole, I suggest cruising for chicks on the Carl Abert State College campus.

Or skipping rocks on the Arkansas River.

1stTimeCaller
5/9/2006, 04:11 PM
is the horse track open? Blue Ribbon Downs baby!!!!

Mjcpr
5/9/2006, 04:12 PM
is the horse track open? Blue Ribbon Downs baby!!!!

Now it's a Racino!

IB4OU2
5/9/2006, 04:14 PM
There used to be pretty good goose hunting over by Brushy, MJ would know.

1stTimeCaller
5/9/2006, 04:25 PM
Now it's a Racino!

can you call people that nowadays? not really PC.

Boarder
5/9/2006, 04:29 PM
http://www.applegatemarina.com/

Take your fishing pole and get after it.

Too bad you're not going a little later...

The 3rd Annual Luau and Pig Roast will be held May 28 and by popular demand we have booked Badger and Special Guest Steve Clark on horns.

You're Welcome

GDC
5/9/2006, 05:01 PM
Eat at Lupita's or Wild Horse Mountain BBQ.

Sooner_Bob
5/9/2006, 05:05 PM
You could just stay Tahlequah . . . eat at the Catfish Cabin, have some pickled tomaters and drive out to see Fin and Feather. :D

GDC
5/9/2006, 05:13 PM
In Stilwell, try Sarabia's. In Tahlequah Sam and Ella's, Echota House, or Fino's. Or what Bob said.

Soonrboy
5/9/2006, 05:21 PM
when's the stilwell strawberry festival?

GDC
5/9/2006, 05:21 PM
Saturday

AlbqSooner
5/9/2006, 08:35 PM
Wild Horse Mountain used to be the best BBQ in Oklahoma. The old man died and his boys took over. I have not been there since, so I can't say if the Ribs and sauce are as good as before. I did hear recently that the boys upgraded the place a lot. Hard to believe but they now have indoor restrooms. All good things go away eventually.
Give it a try. It is on Hwy 59 I think is the number. The road to Poteau or the Kerr Dam. It is on the left and is well worth the short drive to get there.

handcrafted
5/9/2006, 08:59 PM
Saturday

Well, there's bound to be some left.

handcrafted
5/9/2006, 09:00 PM
Wild Horse Mountain used to be the best BBQ in Oklahoma. The old man died and his boys took over. I have not been there since, so I can't say if the Ribs and sauce are as good as before. I did hear recently that the boys upgraded the place a lot. Hard to believe but they now have indoor restrooms. All good things go away eventually.
Give it a try. It is on Hwy 59 I think is the number. The road to Poteau or the Kerr Dam. It is on the left and is well worth the short drive to get there.

Much grass. I'll look for it. I promise spek when I get back if it RMFO. :)

olevetonahill
5/9/2006, 09:07 PM
Have to do the BBQ they even have indoor plumbing now ;)

olevetonahill
5/9/2006, 09:11 PM
Much grass. I'll look for it. I promise spek when I get back if it RMFO. :)
its about 2 miles south of Sallisaw on 59 . Not as good as when the old man made everyone poop in Outhouses . but still great . Do hit the strawberry fest ,tho I havnt been in yrs but it was fun when I was a kid

Mjcpr
5/10/2006, 08:53 AM
Have to do the BBQ they even have indoor plumbing now ;)

When I was a teenager, they had a pop machine outside that restaurant with beer in it.

AllAboutThe'O'
5/10/2006, 06:12 PM
For some strange reason I'm still not able to fathom, my employer is sending me to a meeting in Stilwell in about 10 days. I get to stay overnight in Sallisaw.

Anyone from out those parts can tell me if there's anything fun to do out there? Unless I get some advice, I'll be stuck in a hotel room for close to 24 hours (minus the meeting) and I foresee boredom on the horizon.
Maybe a little too late in the game to mention it, but Fort Smith's a half-hour away from Sallisaw.

King Crimson
5/10/2006, 06:16 PM
one night in Sallisaw and the world's yer oyster?

TopDaugIn2000
5/10/2006, 08:17 PM
yes, eat at Wild Horse Mt BBQ.

BRD to go if you like racing. It's ok. Small track. It's where my grandpa spent the last 20 years of his life playin the ponies.

ahhhhhh memories. He'd take me for a sammich at WHMBBQ and then we'd head to the stables to see his horses, then on to the track.

TopDaugIn2000
5/10/2006, 08:18 PM
and if you happen to find youself in Van Buren go have a steak at Big Jakes. that is if it's still there.

And there's a catfish place by the damn (less than 10 minutes from sallisaw). Used to be called "Skinny's" but the name has been changed since then.

walkoffsooner
5/10/2006, 08:23 PM
Go read the historical marker.

AllAboutThe'O'
5/10/2006, 11:04 PM
and if you happen to find youself in Van Buren go have a steak at Big Jakes. that is if it's still there.

And there's a catfish place by the damn (less than 10 minutes from sallisaw). Used to be called "Skinny's" but the name has been changed since then.
Yes, Big Jake's is still around. So is that catfish place. There's another all-you-can-eat catfish place on Hwy. 112 between Pocola and Cameron called "The Barn," but it's open Thursday-Saturday nights.

TopDaugIn2000
5/11/2006, 08:25 AM
Yes, Big Jake's is still around. So is that catfish place. There's another all-you-can-eat catfish place on Hwy. 112 between Pocola and Cameron called "The Barn," but it's open Thursday-Saturday nights.
yeah, I've heard of that one too. Think I went there several years ago.

Ole Feed House and Catfish Cove in FSM are still my favorites though.

Headed home this weekend, might just have to hit one of those. mmmmm

handcrafted
5/17/2006, 03:31 PM
Everyone who recommended Wild Horse Mountain has been spekked. It RMFO.

Those weren't just ribs, they were porkchops, man!!! Had me a beef sammich and some beans, too. Hot BBQ sauce. Good eats.

I'm probably gonna have to go out there again in a month or two. I'll try Shad's Catfish Hole then.

AllAboutThe'O'
5/17/2006, 03:45 PM
yeah, I've heard of that one too. Think I went there several years ago.

Ole Feed House and Catfish Cove in FSM are still my favorites though.

Headed home this weekend, might just have to hit one of those. mmmmm
I sort of like Catfish Cove, though it's a little too pricey.
Incidentally, my favorite Mexican joints in town are La Huerta and Mi Pueblito, both on Towson Ave.
And I like Jerry Neel's BBQ on Phoenix.

TopDaugIn2000
5/17/2006, 03:56 PM
yeah, I really like La Huerta too.

Jerry Neels is good, but no Wildhorse ;)

TopDaugIn2000
5/17/2006, 03:57 PM
Everyone who recommended Wild Horse Mountain has been spekked. It RMFO.

Those weren't just ribs, they were porkchops, man!!! Had me a beef sammich and some beans, too. Hot BBQ sauce. Good eats.

I'm probably gonna have to go out there again in a month or two. I'll try Shad's Catfish Hole then.

glad you enjoyed it. It's some goooood eatin.

GDC
5/17/2006, 04:41 PM
Go see Sequoyah's home and Pretty Boy Floyd's grave, and throw a line out at Kerr or Brushy Lake.

olevetonahill
5/17/2006, 06:34 PM
glad you enjoyed it. It's some goooood eatin.
I drove by there Monday evening , it was closed
I think handcraft burnt it or sompun :eek:

TopDaugIn2000
5/17/2006, 09:55 PM
it was hoppin when I went by on sunday late afternoon.

TopDaugIn2000
5/17/2006, 09:56 PM
Go see Sequoyah's home and Pretty Boy Floyd's grave, and throw a line out at Kerr or Brushy Lake.

my 8th grade english teacher was a relative of Pretty Boy Floyd. She had LOTS of stories and old stuff of his.