PDA

View Full Version : Professor Swank Quote on USC

soonerlaw
5/9/2006, 01:25 PM
Its a pretty good article about how USC is a bunch of cheaters, but of note is the insight from The Swank, who was one of my old profs at OU and is a helluva teacher.
__________________________________________________ _______________
Carroll, Trojans tackling challenges

LOS ANGELES (AP) - Just two weeks ago, the Southern California football program was in wonderful shape — a dynasty in the works.

Now, with allegations of NCAA violations surfacing against a pair of All-Americans and another player arrested for investigation of sexual assault, the program is under intense scrutiny.
"Without a doubt, we've been put into a light that challenges us," USC coach Pete Carroll said. "Time will sort things out. We'll see how everything comes out. No question, people will be wondering about the program a little bit."

Carroll has led the Trojans from uncharacteristic mediocrity to unprecedented success since he was an unpopular choice to succeed Paul Hackett following the 2000 season.

USC's 48-4 record the past four seasons represents one of the most impressive runs in NCAA history.

Crowds upward of 90,000 attend home games at the Los Angeles Coliseum.

The recruiting classes are rated among the country's best every year.

Even the last-minute Rose Bowl loss to Texas that ended a 34-game winning streak four months ago seemed to be nothing more than a minor glitch in the big picture.

But now, controversy. Perhaps success breeds this kind of attention. Past national champions like Clemson, Miami, Washington, Florida State and Ohio State have been targets of allegations that resulted in investigations.

Carroll isn't shying away, although he realizes the school's image has been tarnished for now. He was emphatic concerning the effort made to inform players and their families about what can go wrong.

"We've been all over this," he said. "We're trying to inform and educate better than anybody in the country. We have to send the message so clear. It's about creating a conscience with the players first.

"It starts all the way back to junior day, the first day we bring future recruits on campus. We start talking about what this all means, what this is all about, and it just goes on throughout."

Even so, Carroll said, he's ultimately responsible as the head coach.

"I'm not going to make excuses for any part of this," he said. "I'm not going to point the finger at somebody else. I'm the one who has to continue to get this done. I've got to do a better job."

The troubles began April 23, with allegations concerning the living arrangements of Heisman Trophy winner Reggie Bush's family near San Diego, and other charges that could be deemed as extra benefits.

Bush, who passed up his final year of eligibility to turn pro, was taken by the New Orleans Saints with the second pick in last weekend's NFL draft.

Carroll said he spoke with Bush and his parents several times about NCAA rules and outsiders who might entice them.

"I don't know that there is something wrong," the coach said. "You might not realize a person is trying to get after you. We have to do better with all the family members. It's not just the parents - it's aunts, uncles, cousins.

"I'm disappointed any time someone can get to our family members and take them down the wrong path. We just have to keep hammering it home. College programs don't need these kinds of associations."

The Pac-10 and NCAA are investigating. Should Bush be ruled ineligible, forfeitures are a possibility. And should it be determined he was ineligible in 2004, the national championship USC won that year could be impacted.

"With the little bits of information I have, no, I'm not worried about that one bit," Carroll said. "I'm confident that's not where this is going."

David Swank, a member of the NCAA Division I Committee on Infractions from 1990-99, said those kinds of punishments happen occasionally.

"It just depends on the nature of the violations," said Swank, a law professor at the University of Oklahoma. "You have violations of individuals providing extra benefits to athletes; allegations are made that have no basis in fact. I have no idea where this fits.

"It's pure speculation what penalty might flow from this. It depends on whether a serious violation can be proved. It takes a while to conduct an investigation. These things don't happen overnight."

Three days after the Bush allegations surfaced, redshirt freshman Mark Sanchez, a possible successor to 2004 Heisman Trophy-winning quarterback Matt Leinart, was arrested after a female student accused him of sexual assault. He was released on $200,000 bail.

Carroll said he was shocked, and couldn't speculate as to Sanchez's availability next fall. Sanchez is listed second on the depth chart, behind John David Booty, who underwent back surgery March 31.

"Hopefully the truth will come out and it will be clear what Mark's status is," Carroll said.

Sanchez is scheduled to appear in court May 17.

"Obviously, this is a very difficult time for the Sanchez family, but they have confidence that facts surrounding this matter will come to light and Mark's good name will be cleared," attorney Leonard Levine said in a statement issued this week.

Finally, questions arose last weekend concerning the living arrangement of wide receiver Dwayne Jarrett, who will be a junior next fall. USC officials are investigating whether an upscale apartment Jarrett shared with Leinart violated NCAA rules.

Carroll said he's hopeful Jarrett won't miss any playing time next season.

"I don't know how it's all going to play out. I'm hopeful that's not going to be the case," the coach said.

There have been previous problems under Carroll's watch, but the kind of things that go on at many schools.

Cornerback Eric Wright was arrested in March 2005 at a campus apartment by officers investigating reports of an assault. No charges were filed, but Wright left school amid possible disciplinary action and transferred to UNLV.

Linebacker Rey Maualuga was arrested Nov. 1 for allegedly punching a man at an off-campus party. He sat out the first half of the game against Stanford the following weekend as punishment.

Maualuga agreed this week to perform community service and attend anger management classes to resolve one count of battery.

Eleven former USC players were chosen in the NFL draft last weekend, but several went lower than anticipated, including Bush, Leinart, offensive tackle Winston Justice, running back LenDale White, safety Darnell Bing, and offensive guard Fred Matua.

Perhaps a few were overrated.

"I think people get caught up in this mock draft thing," said Gil Brandt, a longtime executive with the Dallas Cowboys who's now a senior analyst and draft guru for NFL.com. "You have people who mean well, but are probably not as knowledgeable as they should be."

Brandt said Justice, Bing and Matua would have been better off staying in school for their final year of eligibility.

soonerlaw
5/9/2006, 01:31 PM
Please note that I said he was a helluva teacher. I'll leave it at that.

Octavian
5/9/2006, 01:45 PM
Please note that I said he was a helluva teacher. I'll leave it at that.

good idea ;)

sanantoniosooner
5/9/2006, 01:48 PM
A good read, even for someone who is wore out on the story.

Taxman71
5/9/2006, 01:48 PM
Yes, but his 8 hour final was ridiculous.

Phil
5/9/2006, 02:57 PM
Well, he was the dean when I was there, and he ran off the King. He's Aggy, to boot. Swank has been dead to me for a long time.

Dio
5/9/2006, 03:15 PM
Swank still sucks.

JohnnyMack
5/9/2006, 04:49 PM
Swank can suck my wank.

Taxman71
5/9/2006, 04:54 PM
I always thought Swank got too much blame for ousting the King while Donnie Duncan got too little. If I recall correctly, DD has the final word and let Switzer hang before Swank et al. He also:

1. Hired Drunkenberger (hence, the dark 90's); and
2. Helped found the Big 12 (hence, allowing the state of Texass to stay alive).

Does he go down as the worst ex-Sooner in history (ahead of DKR or JJ) in terms of damaging the program?

Big Red Ron
5/9/2006, 06:38 PM
Swank is a wank. I just hope he has friends in the NCAA that will hold SUC to the same standard of punishment as they held us to.

rainiersooner
5/9/2006, 07:42 PM
It will be interesting to see how Swank will act now that the International Shoe is on the other foot.

The Consumate Showman
5/9/2006, 08:26 PM
I always thought Swank got too much blame for ousting the King while Donnie Duncan got too little. If I recall correctly, DD has the final word and let Switzer hang before Swank et al. He also:

1. Hired Drunkenberger (hence, the dark 90's); and
2. Helped found the Big 12 (hence, allowing the state of Texass to stay alive).

Does he go down as the worst ex-Sooner in history (ahead of DKR or JJ) in terms of damaging the program?

I say DKR first...then Swank.

SoonerShark
5/9/2006, 08:41 PM
Well, he was the dean when I was there, and he ran off the King. He's Aggy, to boot. Swank has been dead to me for a long time.

I liked him personally; however, I did think he was a bit gutless in 1989...or for sale to the NCAA whores. Why would the wishbone era Sooners try to buy a wide receiver, Heartless Sleaze Dykes? They would not.

soonerjoker
5/10/2006, 09:34 AM
who could OU have hired in place of ***************, with a better record. OU was down @ the time. snelly had a NC @ miami.

Taxman71
5/10/2006, 10:11 AM
who could OU have hired in place of ***************, with a better record. OU was down @ the time. snelly had a NC @ miami.

What was drunkenberger's record post-1983 (i.e. - 12 years before OU hired him)? He was relic football coach in a basketball town and state still living off the early 70's Dolphins and the 1983 squad.

MiccoMacey
5/10/2006, 10:27 AM
I won't be popular, but I don't care.

David Swank was my landlord and a heck of a guy. That's all I know about him and all I want to know about him. We still keep in touch with Christmas letters and stuff and try to swing by and see he and his wife when in Norman.

Think what you want about his decisions with regards to Switzer, but he's a good friend to have.

Big Red Ron
5/10/2006, 10:27 AM
I dunno what his record was at Lousiville but he took another nothing program and made them pretty darn impressive. His record of turning crap into something better was the appeal. I was all for it until I realized he was a drunk.

Big Red Ron
5/10/2006, 10:29 AM
Duncan also fired his *** after one season.

Taxman71
5/10/2006, 10:49 AM
I, too, like Swank. Very fair professor and a good guy (especially if you talk about hunting).

As for smelly, I don't think he turned any program around post-Miami. Being somewhat competitive at Louisville does not warrant the head job at a power like OU. Plus, I think Boren was the spearhead for his firing due to the Ailey lawsuit. No way would Duncan have the stones to fire "his big hire" one year into the deal. Notice how he left town shortlyafter Howard did.

Big Red Ron
5/10/2006, 11:00 AM
Well he did take UL to two of their only five Bowl games at the time and beat Bama in the Fiesta Bowl in 1990, he also beat Mich. State in the other bowl.

What he did at Miami was Snider like or vice-versa.

Taxman71
5/10/2006, 11:11 AM
I give him credit for the Miami thing, although all 3 Fla. schools were inexpicably sucky during those years despite the level of high school talent available nearby. Interesting how all 3 got going around the same time. Snyder's job at KState is unmatched considering the lack of talent, facilities and fan support at the time he got there. Howard just had to put the keys in the ignition.

His tenure at Louisville was like Eddie Sutton at OSU. Easy, low-stress retirement job in your quasi-homestate that is rabid about a different sport. Obviously, the Cardinals never sniffed football's equivalent to the final 4.

Salt City Sooner
5/10/2006, 01:18 PM
"I dunno what his record was at Lousiville"
54 wins, 56 losses, 2 ties.

1985- 2-9
1986- 3-8
1987- 3-7-1
1988- 8-3
1989- 6-5
1990- 10-1-1 (won Fiesta Bowl, 34-7 over 'Bama)
1991- 2-9
1992- 5-6
1993- 9-3 (won Liberty Bowl, 18-7 over Michigan St.)
1994- 6-5

Dio
5/10/2006, 05:29 PM
Did I mention David Swank still sucks?