PDA

View Full Version : Another Preseason Poll

tnobis60
5/9/2006, 09:39 AM
I know most of you will hate this, but I thought it was worth a view. The only reason i like this poll is because Notre Dame isn't in the top three. Since last year the only team they beat with a winning record was UM.

http://www.statfox.com/statfoxnews/news.asp?articleid=1412&source=

2006 StatFox Preseason Top 25 College Football Teams

1. Texas Longhorns
(2005 RECORD: 13-0 (11-2 ATS), RETURNING STARTERS: O: 9 D: 7)
Vince Young may be gone, but the defending champs are still experienced and loaded. RB Jamaal Charles and new QB Jevan Sneed will be stars in this backfield by season’s end. The experience of finally getting over the hump will help too. Unless upset, the Longhorns figure to live near the top of the BCS standings all year.

2. Ohio State Buckeyes
(2005 RECORD: 10-2 (9-3 ATS), RETURNING STARTERS: O: 8 D: 2)
Ohio State has a huge retooling job on the defensive side of the ball, but word is that the incoming starters could be better than the most recent group. Plus, on offense, the Buckeyes boast a pair of Heisman candidates in QB Troy Smith and WR Ted Ginn. This team’s sights are set on another national title.

3. USC Trojans
(2005 RECORD: 12-1 (6-7 ATS), RETURNING STARTERS: O: 4 D: 6)
For the first time in several years, the USC program faces many questions, both on and off the field. However, HC Pete Carroll’s recruiting classes have been awesome though, and new stars are ready to replace the departed. QB John David Booty will be a household name by December.

4. LSU Tigers
(2005 RECORD: 11-2 (6-5 ATS), RETURNING STARTERS: O: 6 D: 5)
Having endured as much turmoil as LSU did a year ago, to finish 11-2 was a huge accomplishment. The 40-3 Peach Bowl win over Miami was a sign of what this team is capable of in 2006. The Tigers boast three all-SEC capable quarterbacks, and RB Alley Broussard should be back at 100%.

5. West Virginia Mountaineers
(2005 RECORD: 11-1 (9-2 ATS), RETURNING STARTERS: O: 7 D: 5)
Boasting a young squad in a supposed rebuilding year, West Virginia enjoyed its best season in years in 2005, winning the Big East title and the Sugar Bowl. With QB White, RB Slaton, & company a year older, we’ll see how they react to huge expectations in ’06.

6. Oklahoma Sooners
(2005 RECORD: 8-4 (6-6 ATS), RETURNING STARTERS: O: 4 D: 8)
After a slow start to the 2005 season, the Sooners looked like the team of old as year wound down. Riding the momentum of a strong finish and the legs of workhorse RB Adrian Petersen, look for Oklahoma to give Texas a run for the Big 12, and possibly national, title again.

7. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
(2005 RECORD: 9-3 (7-5 ATS), RETURNING STARTERS: O: 7 D: 9)
Was any other team more fun to watch in 2005 than Charlie Weis’ Notre Dame squad? The Irish improved by three games last year, earning a Fiesta Bowl berth. With QB Brady Quinn, a bona fide Heisman frontrunner, back for his senior year, this team expects at least another BCS appearance.

8. Auburn Tigers
(2005 RECORD: 9-3 (8-3 ATS), RETURNING STARTERS: O: 5 D: 6)
Auburn was quite possibly the best team in the SEC at the close of the 2005 campaign. The loss to Wisconsin in the Capital One Bowl should be a huge motivating factor for this team to reach elite goals in 2006. This program is slowly emerging as one of the new era Superpowers.

9. Florida Gators
(2005 RECORD: 9-3 (7-5 ATS), RETURNING STARTERS: O: 6 D: 6)
HC Urban Meyer’s last two teams took off in his second year with those programs. If the same holds true in Florida, the sky’s the limit for this team in 2006. The offense started to roll at the end of last season. With QB Chris Leak back as a senior, there’s no reason to expect that trend won’t continue.

10. Louisville Cardinals
(2005 RECORD: 9-3 (6-6 ATS), RETURNING STARTERS: O: 6 D: 6)
One of the best offenses in the country over the last few seasons figures to be just as good or better in 2006. With QB Brian Brohm and RB Micheal Bush returning, forays into the 50-point range should be regular. The Cardinals also host West Virginia in what figures to be the Big East’s biggest game.

11. Florida State Seminoles
(2005 RECORD: 8-5 (6-6 ATS), RETURNING STARTERS: O: 5 D: 4)
For the first time in several years, Florida State has a quarterback it feels it can rely on enough to compete for a national title. QB Drew Weatherford, now a sophomore, returns along with stud RB Lorenzo Booker. The schedule stacks up favorably for a title run if the Seminoles can get by Miami in week one.

12. Georgia Bulldogs
(2005 RECORD: 10-3 (6-7 ATS), RETURNING STARTERS: O: 4 D: 5)
If you recall, Georgia was forced to “reload” last season, thanks to the graduation of perhaps its best senior class ever. The result: Ten wins and another SEC Championship. Only nine starters return in 2006, but HC Mark Richt’s stellar recruiting classes are paying dividends for the Bulldogs.

13. California Golden Bears
(2005 RECORD: 8-4 (3-8 ATS), RETURNING STARTERS: O: 7 D: 8)
Running back Marshawn Lynch could put up some sick numbers in 2006. This offense simply produces. Sooner or later, perhaps HC Jeff Tedford is going get full credit for it. With three solid quarterbacks in place, and 16 starters returning, Cal has the experience and talent to have another special season.

14. Michigan Wolverines
(2005 RECORD: 7-5 (4-7 ATS), RETURNING STARTERS: O: 6 D: 8)
Michigan lost five games in a season for the first time in over two decades last year, however, all of them were by a TD or less. Being that close, and returning the skill players that the Wolverines do in 2006, you have to figure them a prime candidate for a turnaround season. Expect a run at the Big Ten title again.

15. Miami Hurricanes
(2005 RECORD: 9-3 (4-8 ATS), RETURNING STARTERS: O: 5 D: 6)
Miami changed everything but the color of its jerseys after the 40-3 Peach Bowl humiliation. Several assistant coaches and half of the team’s starting lineup will be new in 2006. However, with QB Wright & RB Moss back, the offense should be much improved, and the defense will be big, strong, and athletic as always.

16. Virginia Tech Hokies
(2005 RECORD: 11-2 (10-3 ATS), RETURNING STARTERS: O: 5 D: 5)
Two years in the ACC, nearly two conference titles. Simply put, the best team didn’t win it last year. Virginia Tech has proven comfortable in its new surroundings, in fact, leading the country in total defense last year. Only 10 starters are back, but Beamer-ball has produced double-digit win seasons regularly of late.

17. Tennessee Volunteers
(2005 RECORD: 5-6 (3-8 ATS), RETURNING STARTERS: O: 6 D: 5)
Perhaps #17 in the country is a bit overzealous of a preseason ranking for Tennessee, coming off a 5-6 season, but few programs can match this team’s success over the past decade. Always strong on defense, QB Erik Ainge figures to lead an offensive resurgence. The Vols don’t just hope to bounce back, they expect to.

18. Clemson Tigers
(2005 RECORD: 8-4 (8-4 ATS), RETURNING STARTERS: O: 9 D: 7)
With one of the most experienced teams in the ACC, Clemson figures to carryover its momentum of 2005, when it won its last four games. Sixteen starters are back, including one of the nation’s best kickers, so close games won’t be a concern. Considering the Tigers beat FSU by 21 late in the season, will there be many close games?

19. Nebraska Cornhuskers
(2005 RECORD: 8-4 (6-5 ATS), RETURNING STARTERS: O: 8 D: 7)
If the 2006 Nebraska football team is anything like the one that closed the 2005 season, fans in Lincoln could be in for a real treat. The Cornhuskers finally started to fully grasp the schemes of 2nd year HC Bill Callahan. Plus, he has recruited well so far. This team may be on the cusp of a long run of Big 12 title contending seasons.

20. Penn State Nittany Lions
(2005 RECORD: 11-1 (8-4 ATS), RETURNING STARTERS: O: 5 D: 4)
2005 was one of those magical seasons at State College. Everything clicked, and only a last second defeat kept the Nittany Lions from going unbeaten. HC Joe Paterno was certainly worthy of all the coaching honors he scooped up. The 2006 team will be hard pressed to match that success, but should still be quite good.

21. Iowa Hawkeyes
(2005 RECORD: 7-5 (5-6 ATS), RETURNING STARTERS: O: 7 D: 7)
The incredible linebackers that paced this defense for the past few years are gone to the NFL, but two key cornerstones of recent Iowa success are still in place. HC Kirk Ferentz declined offers from the NFL, and former conference MVP QB Drew Tate returns. He could single handedly keep this team in Big Ten contention.

22. Arizona State Sun Devils
(2005 RECORD: 7-5 (6-6 ATS), RETURNING STARTERS: O: 10 D: 5)
With two of the nation’s top 5 passers last season returning for 2006, Arizona State’s offense will put up some prolific numbers. Sam Keller & Rudy Carpenter are both capable of leading this team to a special season. If the defense holds up its end of the bargain, the Sun Devils could threaten USC’s Pac 10 supremacy.

23. TCU Horned Frogs
(2005 RECORD: 11-1 (9-3 ATS), RETURNING STARTERS: O: 10 D: 7)
A lackadaisical loss to SMU in week two was the only thing that stood between TCU and a perfect season in 2005. Had the Horned Frogs won that contest, they would have landed in one of the elite BCS bowl games. Instead, after settling for a MWC title, this veteran team will have the motivation to take it a step further in 2006.

24. Boston College Golden Eagles
(2005 RECORD: 9-3 (7-5 ATS), RETURNING STARTERS: O: 6 D: 6)
Back-to-back 9-win seasons and six consecutive bowl game victories are sure-fire signs that Boston College has emerged as a national power. The ACC is all the better for it. The Eagles lose a lot of production from last year’s squad, but the hard-nosed, physical brand of football seems to be a good fit for their new surroundings.

25. Texas Tech Red Raiders
(2005 RECORD: 9-3 (4-6 ATS), RETURNING STARTERS: O: 8 D: 5)
Texas Tech was finally able to take a step up the ladder of the Big 12 South standings in 2005, overtaking Oklahoma for 2nd place. Sure, the Sooners may have been down, but the Red Raiders were much improved, particularly on defense. It was HC Mike Leach’s best team ever. They could be as good or better in ’06.

snp
5/9/2006, 09:46 AM
No way, no how, nuh-uh Texas is preseason number 1.

Also, we only return 4 starters on offense? Don't think so.

critical_phil
5/9/2006, 09:58 AM
why would anyone hate it? it's a ****ing pre-season poll......

BASSooner
5/9/2006, 09:59 AM
If I was a coach and lost my whole entire offense, I wouldn't even rank myself #3

sooneron
5/9/2006, 10:03 AM
I don't have have a big problem with UTerus being pre-season numbah one. I've always believed that you stay there til someone knocks you off. Of course, I think we have a good shot at knocking them off. That will make it all the more sweet! I'd still feel better if there were more doubters in the media and we were around 10-12 (Do not ask me who I think should be ahead of us, I don't know). That would give the team a little more fire.

Sooner in Tampa
5/9/2006, 10:15 AM
I don't have have a big problem with UTerus being pre-season numbah one. I've always believed that you stay there til someone knocks you off. I agree...who cares who you lost to graduation, early release, or injury.
Pre-Season polls are total Bull$hit anyway...they are/should be for entertainment only. They are fodder for message boards. :D
There is no way in hell folks can convince me that tOSu has a BETTER defense than the one they had last year...the LB's alone are a huge loss. :rolleyes: Someone is sippin on the sauce.

sooneron
5/9/2006, 10:22 AM
If you know someone doesn't belong there, it just makes it funnier when they go down like a hooker during fleet week!

sooner13f
5/9/2006, 10:38 AM
Wow with that poll #1 vs #2 game two looks pretty good. I don't think we will play an undefeated UT.

Sooner95
5/9/2006, 10:46 AM
I just don't see how anyone could rank Texas #1. This team took some big hits in the NFL draft, including their main playmaker. #1 in the Nation? They might want to try and win the Big12 South first, which will be tough with A&M and OU...

Ohio State, will be very good next yr, ND, tho I hate them, will be there as well...

snp
5/9/2006, 11:04 AM
They might want to try and win the Big12 South first, which will be tough with A&M and OU...

What on earth makes you think that Fran is turning things around down in cultsville?

They had a defense that ranked 107 last year and lost a couple key players from that.

And they also lost a 4 year starting QB to a one-trick pony.

Their RB's should be good, but that's about it.

Rogue
5/9/2006, 11:18 AM
I agree that the defending champs should start the year as #1.
Several 3 & 4 loss teams in the top 20. Even a 5 and a 6 loss team ahead of last year's 11-1 Penn St!

soonerinabilene
5/9/2006, 11:52 AM
i think west virginia is way overhyped. big east schedule really helps them out, but i wouldnt put them over us, florida, or nd.

tnobis60
5/9/2006, 12:49 PM
You can say what you want, but the idea of A&M being the other threat in the Big 12 besides OU and Texas is just retarded. Did you not watch the past two seasons? If anything, the humps in the Big 12 south would be OU and Tech, but A&M? Plus, we play Aggie in Austin this year.

Sooner95
5/9/2006, 01:23 PM
Man, did I hosed that... I ment Tech (whom went 9-3, 6-2 in conf).. not A&M, who won 3 games in conf??

Either way, my point was Texass will have a hard enuff time grabbing the Big12 South, with OU, and Tech their.

Course, others would agree, who wins the South, will prob represent the Conf in BSC.. as the North looks to field a bunch of avg teams again.

West Virg, their Big East Sched does help them out, that Conf is not what is used to be..

AzianSooner
5/9/2006, 08:43 PM
where the hell is Oregon.

goingoneight
5/9/2006, 09:41 PM
Man, did I hosed that... I ment Tech (whom went 8-4, 5-3 in conf).. not A&M, who won 3 games in conf??

Either way, my point was Texass will have a hard enuff time grabbing the Big12 South, with OU, and Tech their.

Course, others would agree, who wins the South, will prob represent the Conf in BSC.. as the North looks to field a bunch of avg teams again.

West Virg, their Big East Sched does help them out, that Conf is not what is used to be..

Fixed. :mad:

Sooner95
5/10/2006, 11:56 AM
Fixed. :mad:

Uh, before you go "fixing" posts, you might want to verify your information.

Texas Tech went 9-3 6-2 in conf...

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/clubhouse?teamId=2641

You can also verify the team schedule for 2005

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/teamsched?teamId=2641&year=2005

The Consumate Showman
5/10/2006, 12:34 PM
Oregon should be in the top 20 AT LEAST....

If you look at the top 10, OU returns the most starters on D besides Chucky's sorry azz D with the Domers. We will be extremely tough on D which should lighten the load for our O to carry each game.

Total_Ignorance_Hour
5/10/2006, 03:03 PM
Uh, before you go "fixing" posts, you might want to verify your information.

Texas Tech went 9-3 6-2 in conf...

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/clubhouse?teamId=2641

You can also verify the team schedule for 2005

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/teamsched?teamId=2641&year=2005

I think he was referring to the crap officiating in Lubbock last year in changing the Raiders record.

oumartin
5/10/2006, 03:29 PM
we bitched about it after winning the N.C. if you end the year #1 you should start #1.. Whats good for the sooners is good for them limp wristed whorns.

Sooner95
5/10/2006, 03:30 PM
I think he was referring to the crap officiating in Lubbock last year in changing the Raiders record.

Ahh, ok... well based on that, then yes... 8-4 4-4 in conf for the Raidahs..

sorry bud, no offense..