PDA

View Full Version : BOBBY MAZE

runner1182
5/9/2006, 09:17 AM
scout.com reports that capel is going after Maze a pg who played with tony crocker and said that he played some pickup games with lebron james and some other nba guys in the interview that james hale had with him, wondering if anybody has heard of him? sounds like a good pick up for the sooners, he is 6'-2" combo guard, so he has some size too him

King Crimson
5/9/2006, 11:18 AM
hasn't taken his test. Illinois, Wake Forest, and Tennessee schools have shown interest as well. openly said he wants to play for Capel and with Crock.

just finished prep school.

yet, at this point i'm taking everything with a huge grain of salt until they are jogging out on the floor at Lloyd Noble in Novemeber. if Capel can get Hall, Maze, and Clark qualifies along with Crocker i think Coach has done pretty friggin' alright for himself in a near catastophe, handcuffed situation.

runner1182
5/9/2006, 04:31 PM
hopefully the sooners pick him up soon! sounds like a steal if we get him!

Big Red Ron
5/9/2006, 04:35 PM
Maze is corn. Just thought I'd throw that out there. ;)

runner1182
5/9/2006, 05:02 PM
maybe corn but he sounds better than any pg we have on campus! wondering in the scout article on maze it saids he hasn't been offered yet and said if he was that he would commit are the sooners waiting on scottie or what?

stoopified
5/9/2006, 05:06 PM
hasn't taken his test. Illinois, Wake Forest, and Tennessee schools have shown interest as well. openly said he wants to play for Capel and with Crock.

just finished prep school.

yet, at this point i'm taking everything with a huge grain of salt until they are jogging out on the floor at Lloyd Noble in Novemeber. if Capel can get Hall, Maze, and Clark qualifies along with Crocker i think Coach has done pretty friggin' alright for himself in a near catastophe, handcuffed situation.
True but those are big IFS.

stoopified
5/9/2006, 05:10 PM
Maze is corn. Just thought I'd throw that out there. ;)You must have him confused with Ron Maize(Maize is corn.Maze is a series of passages interlaced with deadends .:D

william_brasky
5/15/2006, 10:32 PM
Some other internet folks are saying Maze will be committing Wednesday.

runner1182
5/16/2006, 10:02 AM
scout.com reports that maze is visiting wed and he said that he will probably commit tomorrow if everything goes right and he will qualify he says

Rock Hard Corn Frog
5/16/2006, 10:39 AM
Hopefully he can find his way..

The Consumate Showman
5/16/2006, 10:33 PM
Good deal. Bring 'em on. We NEED someone!!!!!!!!!!

runner1182
5/18/2006, 09:36 AM
maze is on his official visit today! and if all goes well could commit today!

OUstud
5/18/2006, 03:56 PM
Any videos of him on rivals or something?

birddog
5/18/2006, 07:40 PM
ANY NEWS ON HIS VISIT TODAY? YES, i'M YELLING AT YOU.

william_brasky
5/19/2006, 01:36 PM
A buddy of mine just emailed me saying that he heard Maze verbally committed today.

There's some PG depth we so desperately need.

King Crimson
5/19/2006, 01:50 PM
A buddy of mine just emailed me saying that he heard Maze verbally committed today.

There's some PG depth we so desperately need.

i hope that's right. apparently it was down to OU and Wake Forest--with a heavy OU lean. but, after what we've been through.....who knows? no chickens will be counted by me before they hatch.

i'm hoping that (and hearing that) a healthy Austin Johnson will surprise people--and both he and Maze can play the 1 and 2. If Walker can give some minutes here and there.....that's not too bad.

the late signing period ended on the 17th, so a verbal is a verbal until until he's enrolled......and he does still need a test score.

Mjcpr
5/19/2006, 01:54 PM
Says so at OUInsider.....

http://mb22.scout.com/fouinsiderfrm2.showMessage?topicID=39253.topic

william_brasky
5/19/2006, 01:58 PM
awesome!

Is the kid eligible? That's a big question.

On a very positive note: can anyone here ever remember winning a recruiting battle over Wake Forest in hoops?

King Crimson
5/19/2006, 02:50 PM
awesome!

Is the kid eligible? That's a big question.

On a very positive note: can anyone here ever remember winning a recruiting battle over Wake Forest in hoops?

like i say above, he's got to take his ACT.

Wake also has a commit from a top pg for next year. name is Ishmael "something". that may have deterred Maze some.

by the same token, Wake wasn't too good last year and over the last 20-25 years i'd say OU is much the better program (despite not being Carolina and ACC "bluebloods"). while we never had Chris Paul or Tim Duncan....we've been to 2 final fours and 2 other elite eights. Wake hasn't.

OUGreg723
5/19/2006, 10:29 PM
SWEEET!

YuCatan
5/23/2006, 05:29 PM
uh oh, guess who we hear is interested in Maze?

Huggy bear.

King Crimson
5/23/2006, 05:46 PM
who's "we"?

Big Red Ron
5/23/2006, 08:36 PM
uh oh, guess who we hear is interested in Maze?

Huggy bear.Hmmmm...ksu (crap) vs. OU second only to KU in the Big XII historically....yeah, that's a toughie.:rolleyes:

YuCatan
5/23/2006, 08:57 PM
"Hmmmm...ksu (crap) vs. OU second only to KU in the Big XII historically....yeah, that's a toughie."

Wow, somebody needs a history lesson. After nearly two decades of bad basketball college hoops historians STILL consider Kansas State a better basketball program than Oklahoma's.

http://athensohio.net/sports/basketball/100-greatest/

K-State is 2nd only to Kansas is conference titles of the programs comprising the Big 12.

Get to know your history. OU has been lucky with the Sampson hire while KSU has struggled through a few bad hires. It's turning now that OU went out hired freakin' Capel after Wichita freakin' State's coach turned OU down among others. Hugs is a future hall of fame coach. K-State owned OU in hoops for quite awhile and then it changed while KSU was in transition in the late 80's and into the 90's and OU had Tubbs and then Sampson.

suncoastsooner7
5/23/2006, 09:15 PM
Turgeon did't even get a second interview which is far from turning anything down.

snp
5/23/2006, 10:13 PM
"Hmmmm...ksu (crap) vs. OU second only to KU in the Big XII historically....yeah, that's a toughie."

Wow, somebody needs a history lesson. After nearly two decades of bad basketball college hoops historians STILL consider Kansas State a better basketball program than Oklahoma's.

Wow, somebody needs a couple other lessons!

1) Learn to quote. It's the big button that says QUOTE
2) Learn to read. Historically in the BIG 12.
3) No one cares about KSU being good 30 years ago. That's like Navy having some sort of relevance now days. Although, Huggins could turn this around.

http://athensohio.net/sports/basketball/100-greatest/

http://soonerstats.com/bb/series/details.cfm?OppID=28

crawfish
5/23/2006, 10:34 PM
Although, Huggins could turn this around.

Question is, will he do it before or after putting 'em on probation?

The Consumate Showman
5/23/2006, 10:56 PM
Question is, will he do it before or after putting 'em on probation?

My money is on after he injures some poor, unsuspecting family after he gets liquored up after Self runs him into the ground a few times.....

Big Red Ron
5/24/2006, 08:15 AM
Capel > Washed up old windbag

Rock Hard Corn Frog
5/24/2006, 11:31 AM
You know I think Huggins will probably have KSU improved a lot very quickly so if I were a KSU fan I'd be pretty excited, but:

1. He probably jumps to the first good DI opening that comes up as soon as he proves he is relatively safe to hire

2. Or he gives KSU probation that ends with the whole athletic dept going to federal pound-me-in-the-azz prison

3. KSU, while bringing in several big recruits is interesting, they haven't won ANYTHING yet...so for right now YOU ARE STILL K-STATE

4. Huggins, while they were very tough several years didn't exaclty win 2-3 NCAA Championships when he was a Cincinnati so I don't expect to see KSU in the top 10 anytime soon.

5. See #3, KSU hasn't been good in almost 30 days and they've beaten their instate rival ONE FREAKING TIME since all the current players on campus were out of diapers.

6. No offense to Iowa St but this would be like Iowa St football fans looking to buy tickets to the Fiesta Bowl because they just hired Rick Neuheisel or Jackie Sherrill.

YuCatan
5/24/2006, 12:54 PM
Oh good lord this stuff is good.

- First of all, to the poster who suggests nobody cares about K-State...well when Huggins is whipping your asses all over the court you most certainly will care because it is going to happen.

- To the individual who posted that Huggins will jump ship to the "first good D-1 offer"...nope, why would he leave a top 22 program all-time? He will finish his career in Manhattan and by the time he is done will move KSU into the top 15 programs of all time.

- "Huggins will leave KSU on probation"....he never broke the rules at Cincinnati...look it up. Hugs was part of the rules committee for the NCAA...Hugs is as clean as a whistle. I would look in the mirror at OU's dirty hoops program before pointing fingers at a guy who has been clean his entire career.

Nice try ladies but Huggins will own the Sooners.

One other thing....Turgeon was offered the Oklahoma job and EVERYONE in Kansas knows the story. We heard how it went down. Or do you still believe Castiglione wanted freakin' Capel over Turgeon???

Collier11
5/24/2006, 01:10 PM
Huggins never got in ncaa trouble, but his graduation rate was the worst in the NCAA for several years, but I think youre wrong about Huggins staying at KSU, thats not gonna happen. If you remember yucatan, huggins record in the ncaa tourney is pretty pathetic as far as getting out of the 1st or 2nd round, but Im not sure if he can get ksu there anyways...we will see

crawfish
5/24/2006, 01:13 PM
- "Huggins will leave KSU on probation"....he never broke the rules at Cincinnati...look it up. Hugs was part of the rules committee for the NCAA...Hugs is as clean as a whistle. I would look in the mirror at OU's dirty hoops program before pointing fingers at a guy who has been clean his entire career.

What part of "lack of institutional control" is confusing you?

jdsooner
5/24/2006, 01:17 PM

One other thing....Turgeon was offered the Oklahoma job and EVERYONE in Kansas knows the story. We heard how it went down. Or do you still believe Castiglione wanted freakin' Capel over Turgeon???

Yeah, Huggins will own KU too, for sure.:rolleyes:

Maybe Turgeon turned us down. If he did, I hope he is happy as a Shocker. I think that we will be happy with Capel as well. He is doing a good job with recruiting given the circumstances he has faced. Huggins is a good hire, but don't count your championships before you win them.:P

starrca23
5/24/2006, 01:27 PM
Nice argument Yucatan. Huggins can breat the law, just not NCAA violations? That is an interesting way to define "clean." I'm glad you are happy though.

SoonerShark
5/24/2006, 01:47 PM
Wasn't Kelvin the winningest basketball coach in Big 12 history? I don't remember K-State being good in basketball, though they did go to the Sweet 16 or the Elite Eight in 1988. I do remember them being one of the all-time worst football programs except for a slight glitch in the 90s and one fluke, perfect night (for them) in KC in '03. They wear purple.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
5/24/2006, 02:31 PM

- First of all, to the poster who suggests nobody cares about K-State...well when Huggins is whipping your asses all over the court you most certainly will care because it is going to happen.

- To the individual who posted that Huggins will jump ship to the "first good D-1 offer"...nope, why would he leave a top 22 program all-time? He will finish his career in Manhattan and by the time he is done will move KSU into the top 15 programs of all time.

Top 22 program all-time. Picked a nice round number out of you alpha there did you? Is that according to the Manhattan Cornholer Herald? Are the other 21 teams the teams that can beat their in-state rival more than once every 15 years? If KSU won the next 2 national titles they wouldn't be in the top 15 programs all-time. Kansas St isn't in the TOP 40 in wins or in winning % and has finished in the top 25 ONCE since 1977.

Bob Huggin's sells catnip to middle school students EVERYONE in Ohio knows that story. The dude can coach and he is an upgrade over Jay Burson...err I mean Jim Woolridge. KSU will improve, no doubt. I just think all this smack coming from a school that has been PWNED by the league for the last 30 years is funny.

Dude you are KANSAS STATE! You apparently admire your team from afar and have never been to Manhattan, Kansas. You are Tina, the Big 12 is Ike.

stonecoldsoonerfan
5/25/2006, 12:56 PM

dude, you guys haven't been good since you had mitch richmond. that was what? 1988?

ummm, not sure what math you're using, but it looks like your "top 22 program" is actually 44th in total all-time wins. probably even lower than that in winning percentage.

http://www.ncaa.org/stats/m_basketball/all_time_wins/2004_all_time_wins.pdf

Rock Hard Corn Frog
5/25/2006, 01:33 PM
Yeah, anyone but the biggest brainwashed KSU homer couldn't begin to believe that KSU is an all-time top 25 program just because they were (barely) a top 25 program several times in the 50's and 60's and that they made the final four in 58 & 64. They are at best 5th best in the Big 12 alone behind KU, OU, OSU and Hook 'em. Top 40 program all-time? maybe neck and neck with MU.

I think in win % they were in the 50-60 range in rank. Accoring to stone colds link it was .577 after the 2004 season. So it is worse than that now.

Really if I were a KSU fan I would be excited but I'd also remember that I am FREAKING KSU and would remember that my team has been putting the lotion in the basket for the last 30 years before I start calling people out.

Dio
5/25/2006, 01:52 PM
and that's another Kansas State ..... FIRST DOWN!!!

whoop-dee-freakin-do

YuCatan
5/25/2006, 06:39 PM
It seems as if I have stumbled upon some very stupid and ignorant fans.

The link I provided was STREET & SMITH's rankings all-time. You know, the publication that has been covering college sports for decades? Something tells me they were not "biased" or "KSU homer"s. They listed the criteria w/ which they based their rankings.

KSU has FOUR Final 4's, not two. Check your bad info again...KSU was in the final 4 in '48, '51, '58, and '64.

I don't care what the "all-time wins" read...programs play MORE games now than what were played 20-30-40-50 years ago.

Kansas State STILL, STILL has more conference titles in Men's hoops than EVERY other Big 12 program not named KU. STILL, after nearly two decades of sub par hoops.

KSU has 16 sweet 16's, 11 elite 8's, and 4 Final 4s.

On the eve of the elite 8 match up w/ KU in 1988 the tale of the tape between Kansas and Kansas State looked very even...

NCAA Appearances: KSU 18 - KU 18
Sweet 16: KSU 16 - KU 13
Elite 8: KSU 11 - KU 11
Final 4: KSU 4 - KU 6
Nat'l Champ: KSU 0 - KU 1
Weeks in Top 5: KSU 62 - KU 49
Weeks in Top 10: KSU 89 - KU 139
Final Top 10: KSU 7 - KU 10
Final #1: KSU 1 - KU 0
Big 8 Champs: KSU 10 - KU 8
Big 7 Champs: KSU 5 - KU 5
KSU vs KU (Big 8): 39-37
KSU vs KU (Big 7): 13-15

KU then got very lucky and made the right hire in UNC asst Roy Williams. KSU was not so fortunate on their next few hirings. Good luck to OU in finding another Sampson.

YuCatan
5/25/2006, 06:43 PM
Did you get that? 62 freakin' weeks ranked in the top 5 by 1988 and some bum on this board says, "a few top 25 rankings 30 years ago".

Word to be wise...gather the facts before sounding like an idiot.

crawfish
5/25/2006, 06:51 PM
Harvard is also one of the greatest all-time football programs, too. :rolleyes:

birddog
5/25/2006, 07:03 PM
why are you here again? 1988? are you serious? i hope you're joking.

sooner518
5/25/2006, 07:33 PM
Harvard is also one of the greatest all-time football programs, too. :rolleyes:
Princeton is like the KSU of the football world! They've gotta be a top 5 all time football program.

National Champions:
1869, 1870, 1872, 1873, 1874, 1875, 1877,
1878,1879,1880, 1881, 1884, 1885, 1886,
1889,1893, 1894,1896, 1898, 1899, 1903,
1906, 1911, 1920,1922, 1933, 1935, 1950

Makes OU's 7 NC's look downright pathetic.

Partial Qualifier
5/25/2006, 10:15 PM
Dude you are KANSAS STATE! You apparently admire your team from afar and have never been to Manhattan, Kansas. You are Tina, the Big 12 is Ike.

PFFFFBWAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Partial Qualifier
5/25/2006, 10:15 PM

oh and spek

TopDawg
5/25/2006, 10:54 PM
YuCatan brings up some valid points, but as far as this conversation goes the fact still remains that since Bobby Maze was born OU has been significantly better than KSU. I mean, maybe Huggy can parlay that 1948 Final Four apperance into a Maze signing, but I doubt Maze puts much weight in it.

YuCatan
5/26/2006, 12:28 AM
TopDawg,

And Cincinnati had not won much of anything since the Oscar Robertson years when Huggins showed up there. He had a tougher hill to climb there than he does in Manhattan. He will finish top 4-5 in year one given what he has coming back and what he will add and then in two years with all of the big time studs coming in, forget it.

Good stuff with some of the kids trying to compare KSU hoops to Princeton football. It has not been 50 years more like 15 years.

birddog
5/26/2006, 01:03 AM
so maze will come to ksu because you were in the final in 1964? your argument is complete crap. how about your football team? you were considered to have the worst football team in the history of college football. you got decent in the 90's and have begun to decline again. do you think you have a top 20 football team in the history of the ncaa because you had 15 good years recently? you can't have it both ways.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
5/26/2006, 08:58 AM
It seems as if I have stumbled upon some very stupid and ignorant fans.

The link I provided was STREET & SMITH's rankings all-time. You know, the publication that has been covering college sports for decades? Something tells me they were not "biased" or "KSU homer"s. They listed the criteria w/ which they based their rankings.

KSU has FOUR Final 4's, not two. Check your bad info again...KSU was in the final 4 in '48, '51, '58, and '64.

I don't care what the "all-time wins" read...programs play MORE games now than what were played 20-30-40-50 years ago.

Kansas State STILL, STILL has more conference titles in Men's hoops than EVERY other Big 12 program not named KU. STILL, after nearly two decades of sub par hoops.

KSU has 16 sweet 16's, 11 elite 8's, and 4 Final 4s.

On the eve of the elite 8 match up w/ KU in 1988 the tale of the tape between Kansas and Kansas State looked very even...

NCAA Appearances: KSU 18 - KU 18
Sweet 16: KSU 16 - KU 13
Elite 8: KSU 11 - KU 11
Final 4: KSU 4 - KU 6
Nat'l Champ: KSU 0 - KU 1
Weeks in Top 5: KSU 62 - KU 49
Weeks in Top 10: KSU 89 - KU 139
Final Top 10: KSU 7 - KU 10
Final #1: KSU 1 - KU 0
Big 8 Champs: KSU 10 - KU 8
Big 7 Champs: KSU 5 - KU 5
KSU vs KU (Big 8): 39-37
KSU vs KU (Big 7): 13-15
NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS KU 2 KSU 0

KU then got very lucky and made the right hire in UNC asst Roy Williams. KSU was not so fortunate on their next few hirings. Good luck to OU in finding another Sampson.

I have the Street & Smith article. First of all it is 5-6 years old now and second it was a joke when it came out. Wyoming is #42 and Virginia #56. Western Kentucky #31 and Memphis #61, Creighton #45 and Florida #96.

I love the Sunflower aggie logic to ignore any hard statistics and point to a messed up subjective ranking from several years ago and then tries to cite a comparison to KU pre-1988 like the 18 seasons since are irrelevant. The same KSU fan will have you believe that college football began about 1992.

If Sunflower Aggie's argument was the KSU was a top 25 program up until about 1977, I would buy that. But in the last 30 years overall KSU hasn't even been a top 75 program, and the 1988 team is what gets them even that high.

Also if you think Huggins record at Cincy is anywhere close to the run they had at Cincy from 58-66 then you have been inhaling too much ethanol.

Now go make me a sammich.

TopDawg
5/26/2006, 11:42 AM
TopDawg,

And Cincinnati had not won much of anything since the Oscar Robertson years when Huggins showed up there. He had a tougher hill to climb there than he does in Manhattan. He will finish top 4-5 in year one given what he has coming back and what he will add and then in two years with all of the big time studs coming in, forget it.

Good stuff with some of the kids trying to compare KSU hoops to Princeton football. It has not been 50 years more like 15 years.

Huggy might do wonderful things at KSU, sure. And maybe if Maze was a year younger and had one year to see what Huggins can do at KSU, he would go there. But your argument as it concerns the topic being discussed (Maze's recruitment right now) is pretty weak. Both schools have coaches new to their school coming in with questions (Capel-first big time program, Huggy-can he do it on the up-and-up in a major conference). So for Maze, I bet OU's success during his lifetime carries more weight than KSU's success (mostly) 20 years or longer before he was born.

birddog
5/26/2006, 11:57 AM
thank you.

King Crimson
5/27/2006, 10:05 AM
i can't remember the last time i saw KSU on a weekend network game or Big Monday even.....while OU is a staple on Big Monday and consistantly on the weekend network national games at least 2-4 times a year (keep in mind i live in Colorado so i'm out of the immediate Oklahoma TV region). the chances Bobby Maze has ever EVEN seen KSU play on TV are pretty slim. and while that may seem a superficial criteria.....with all the money spent by advertisers/network demographic people....teams (especially ranked teams) are on TV for a reason and that's because they draw viewers.

sounds to me that Yucatan is deep in the throes of what they are calling at MU's Tigerboard.....a Huggasm.

Big Red Ron
5/27/2006, 11:20 AM
Huggie just lost two of his best players...good luck with that the hoaggie.

LINDSAYB1312
6/9/2006, 01:03 PM
bobby is taking test this weekend to get qualified, and is planning on attending ou with crocker. Even though I tried getting him to go to wake

The Consumate Showman
6/9/2006, 03:09 PM
Princeton is like the KSU of the football world! They've gotta be a top 5 all time football program.

National Champions:
1869, 1870, 1872, 1873, 1874, 1875, 1877,
1878,1879,1880, 1881, 1884, 1885, 1886,
1889,1893, 1894,1896, 1898, 1899, 1903,
1906, 1911, 1920,1922, 1933, 1935, 1950

Makes OU's 7 NC's look downright pathetic.

That's great! Good info 518.........:twinkies:

Rock Hard Corn Frog
7/6/2006, 08:17 AM
Huggie just lost two of his best players...good luck with that the hoaggie.

Looks like they will be holding the Mayo too.

Word is that O.J. Mayo is going to USC. So it looks like some potential KSU recruits are learning that they would have to live in Manhattan.

LINDSAYB1312
7/7/2006, 12:18 PM
BOBBY just got qualified... he got his score on act so he will be a sooner soon

chbrew09
7/7/2006, 05:36 PM
mayo isnt going to usc...that was a rumor and he denied it...its still between USC, KSU and Florida

Rock Hard Corn Frog
7/10/2006, 03:50 PM
mayo isnt going to usc...that was a rumor and he denied it...its still between USC, KSU and Florida

That is a little like saying Mayo has a choice of who he wants to spend two hours in a hot tub with and it is Jessica Alba, Hacksaw Jim Duggan or Jessica Biel.