PDA

View Full Version : New phone line installation

OUDoc
5/9/2006, 08:57 AM
Anyone know how hard it is to hook up a new phone to your junction box (I guess that's what it's called for phones)? I want a phone in the laundry room, and I can easily get the wiring to the attic and over to where Cox has the phone hook-ups. Once I get there, one box is customer access and one isn't. We had our alarm hooked up last year, and the alarm guy needed a new phone line for one reason or another. He hooked into the customer access side. Should I be able to do the same? Anything I need to know?

Mjcpr
5/9/2006, 08:58 AM
Just hire it done and save yourself from falling through the ceiling.

OUinFLA
5/9/2006, 09:01 AM
If you ever have to ask "Is there anything I need to know?"
The answer is usually ............yes.

IB4OU2
5/9/2006, 09:03 AM
Why do you want a phone in the Laundry room?

1stTimeCaller
5/9/2006, 09:13 AM
so he and Pat can discuss their soap operas when he's folding clothes.

Mjcpr
5/9/2006, 09:16 AM
so he and Pat can discuss their soap operas when he's folding clothes.

Drinks tonight at Bennigans with mom and granny. Be there!!

BlondeSoonerGirl
5/9/2006, 09:18 AM
Will Aunt Momma be there?

IN!

OUDoc
5/9/2006, 09:52 AM
Why do you want a phone in the Laundry room?
We have a big laundry room with a perfect place to put our fax machine. Plus I can close the door and keep my boys from monkeying with the fax. :)

IB4OU2
5/9/2006, 10:11 AM
We have a big laundry room with a perfect place to put our fax machine. Plus I can close the door and keep my boys from monkeying with the fax. :)

Posted-NO FAXING DURING THE SPIN CYCLE!

olevetonahill
5/9/2006, 10:27 AM
If all your doing is adding an extension phone then it should be no problem . you only need to hook up 2 wires .
On the same topic . those who have a box on the O/S where your lines are connected . you should put a lock on it . An enterprizing crook can tap in to your phone line and make a lot Of 1-900 - eatme type calls and they are billed to you becuse they are dialled from "your" phone .
just sayin

SicEmBaylor
5/9/2006, 11:33 AM
An enterprizing crook can tap in to your phone line and make a lot Of 1-900 - eatme type calls....
just sayin

IN!

slickdawg
5/9/2006, 12:24 PM
Anyone know how hard it is to hook up a new phone to your junction box (I guess that's what it's called for phones)? I want a phone in the laundry room, and I can easily get the wiring to the attic and over to where Cox has the phone hook-ups. Once I get there, one box is customer access and one isn't. We had our alarm hooked up last year, and the alarm guy needed a new phone line for one reason or another. He hooked into the customer access side. Should I be able to do the same? Anything I need to know?

It's not hard at all doc, as long as you don't mind running the wires.

The customer access side is all you need to use, and remember that the
"pairs" you'll use are red+green for line 1, and yellow+black for line 2 (if you have two lines).

Mjcpr
5/9/2006, 12:25 PM
They have these phones now that don't require wires.

I can't remember what they're called though.

slickdawg
5/9/2006, 12:26 PM

Carrier pigeons?

OUDoc
5/12/2006, 07:07 PM
It's not hard at all doc, as long as you don't mind running the wires.

The customer access side is all you need to use, and remember that the
"pairs" you'll use are red+green for line 1, and yellow+black for line 2 (if you have two lines).
Just to be clear :D The external box has a red post and a black post. I connected red wire to red post and black wire to black post, but it didn't work. Inside I also connected the wires in the phone outlet so they matched the colors. Assuming all that is correct, what did I do wrong? It doesn't match your (slickdawg's) red+green for line 1 scheme. Should I attach red to red and green to black?

Wireless fax? Cool.

slickdawg
5/12/2006, 07:17 PM
Just to be clear :D The external box has a red post and a black post. I connected red wire to red post and black wire to black post, but it didn't work. Inside I also connected the wires in the phone outlet so they matched the colors. Assuming all that is correct, what did I do wrong? It doesn't match your (slickdawg's) red+green for line 1 scheme. Should I attach red to red and green to black?

Wireless fax? Cool.

While it is red+black on the box outside, it needs to be red + green on the
jack inside. That's yer problem.

OUDoc
5/12/2006, 07:28 PM
While it is red+black on the box outside, it needs to be red + green on the
jack inside. That's yer problem.
If I connect red+black to the posts outside (red wire to red post, black wire to black post), the jack inside still should have the corresponding color wires to their color counterparts? That's how I've done it. No go.

slickdawg
5/12/2006, 08:00 PM
If I connect red+black to the posts outside (red wire to red post, black wire to black post), the jack inside still should have the corresponding color wires to their color counterparts? That's how I've done it. No go.

Negatory.

They've used non-standard wiring codes on the outside of your house.

The matching pairs are red+green
and yellow+black

The jack you bought for the fax machine has four screws on the back with four wires, right? yellow, red, green, and black

red and green are the main line - which will be the two conductors for the
center of the plug.

Hook up red to red and GREEN to black outside, and leave inside alone.

Newbomb Turk
5/12/2006, 08:02 PM
Good grief. YOUR A FREEKIN DOCTOR!!!??!?

Hire somebody to do it right!!

;)

OUDoc
5/12/2006, 08:05 PM
Good grief. YOUR A FREEKIN DOCTOR!!!??!?

Hire somebody to do it right!!

;)
I like to do it myself!

Thanks, slickdawg. I thought that's what you were saying, I just wanted to make sure. I'll give it another try this weekend.

Sooner24
5/12/2006, 08:08 PM
IT IS THIS WEEKEND!

Newbomb Turk
5/12/2006, 08:08 PM
I like to do it myself!

I'd like to perform surgery on myself, but I know better....I think :D

Penguin
5/12/2006, 08:11 PM
I keep my fax machine in the bathroom.

That reminds me, I still need to fax my stool sample over to you, Doc. What's your number?

OUDoc
5/12/2006, 08:11 PM
I'm on call, but I'll probably try tomorrow.

Perform surgery on yourself. Dean gave himself a heart/lung transplant and went to work the next day.

OUDoc
5/12/2006, 08:12 PM
I keep my fax machine in the bathroom.

That reminds me, I still need to fax my stool sample over to you, Doc. What's your number?
You'll have to wait until Monday. I don't want that fax stinking up the office all weekend.

Newbomb Turk
5/12/2006, 08:13 PM
Perform surgery on yourself. Dean gave himself a heart/lung transplant and went to work the next day.

Well...yeah! But I'm no Dean.

thank God

OUDoc
5/12/2006, 08:14 PM
An enterprizing crook can tap in to your phone line and make a lot Of 1-900 - eatme type calls and they are billed to you becuse they are dialled from "your" phone .
just sayin
I wondered why Pat was in my backyard sprouting wood. I thought I just looked particularly handsome that evening. :(

Newbomb Turk
5/12/2006, 08:16 PM
I wondered why Pat was in my backyard sprouting wood.

you have binoculars or a telescope?

OUDoc
5/12/2006, 08:24 PM
Microscope.

Newbomb Turk
5/12/2006, 08:36 PM
<slaps head>

a doctor - I should have known.

Widescreen
5/12/2006, 11:28 PM
Dean gave himself a heart/lung transplant and went to work the next day.
That's truly amazing.

I mean the part about Dean having a heart.

Badabing!

olevetonahill
5/13/2006, 01:44 AM
I wondered why Pat was in my backyard sprouting wood. I thought I just looked particularly handsome that evening. :(
Slick has it nailed the red and green are the only 2 you need to hook up .
Now when you get done LOCK that box
Serious I can take a cheap phone and hook into your line and call the world
Doesnt happen often but once is more than enough :eek:

OUDoc
5/17/2006, 09:26 PM
It works. Thanks, guys. :D

slickdawg
5/17/2006, 09:34 PM
I love success stories! :D

Sooner24
5/17/2006, 09:56 PM
I just hope it doesn't take him that many attempts to have a successful surgery. ;)