View Full Version : Hornets owner Shinn: "OKC Flag-Waving and God-Fearing"

SoonerShark
5/9/2006, 08:13 AM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12694093/

Hornets owner not sure about Big Easy return
Shinn says New Orleans still has too many ‘question marks’
The Associated Press
Updated: 9:07 p.m. ET May 8, 2006

OKLAHOMA CITY - New Orleans is making discouragingly slow progress toward showing it can support the Hornets, owner George Shinn said Monday.

In an interview with The Associated Press, Shinn again said the Hornets plan to honor their lease at the New Orleans Arena but said that many “question marks” remain before he can determine whether that’s a sound option.

“I’ve been back to New Orleans probably a half-dozen times since the storm, and each time we go back, I have a car there and we go back through the areas,” Shinn said. “I hear all the politicians talk about all the great things that’s happening: ‘We’ll be back in a year. We’ll be back in five months.’ You know, crazy stuff.

“I have seen virtually very, very little improvement and it’s very discouraging and very depressing.”

Shinn spoke of visiting areas of New Orleans that do not have grocery stores open, which in turn creates long lines at the stores that are open. On Monday, the city opened a portion of the Lower Ninth Ward for the first time — a 10-block area that has had water, electricity and sewage services restored. The rest of the area, which was the hardest hit by Katrina, remains closed.

“It’s very difficult to try to live there because with the traffic the way it is and because the areas that are damaged and destroyed, people just don’t go through there,” Shinn said. “Stop lights don’t work. They don’t have electricity there.”

After averaging 18,717 fans at their home games in Oklahoma City this season, the Hornets will again play 35 games in the city next season. In the meantime, Shinn said the Hornets will try to determine whether people are interested in the team returning to New Orleans by taking 25 percent deposits toward 41-game season-ticket plans for 2007-08.

“That’s going to tell us a lot,” Shinn said.

Even before Katrina hit in August, the Hornets averaged a league-low 14,221 fans in 2004-05 as the team went 18-64. When the team made the playoffs the year before, the Hornets average attendance was 14,332.

“If you look at our gross before and now our gross here from the arena standpoint is almost double what it was in New Orleans. As a matter of fact, it is double,” Shinn said.

“From a pure business model, if I was just a cold-hearted businessman the decision would be pretty easy but I’ve got to make the decision based on my head and my heart. I really do. I think it’s very important to use good judgment. And if the state’s willing to protect us, make sure we don’t get hit hard, I’ll ride it out.”

However, Shinn said he doesn’t think that Louisiana should offer to write the Hornets a check to ensure their financial success.

“I don’t think they should do that because to me there are more important things to get done than having a basketball team. I think they’ve got to get the families back first and then worry about a basketball team,” Shinn said. “That’s my opinion, but I’m not one of the politicians in Louisiana.”

Shinn said he pays attention to how the Saints are doing — they’re currently reporting season-ticket sales on a record pace — but believes prospects of New Orleans supporting eight football games, mostly on weekends, are different than filling up New Orleans Arena for home 41 basketball games.

Two of the team’s three Hornets’ games in New Orleans in March were sellouts.

“New Orleans is a great city. The architecture there is beautiful. I love it. I think it’s got great history,” Shinn said. “To me, it is a great event town. I mean, Jazz Fest, things that are there for a short period of time and they do it annually.

“That’s one of the reasons football has a better chance than basketball. Baseball would be another one that would be a problem because of an 80-something game schedule.”

Shinn said he has received positive feedback about Oklahoma City from employees, who have said “they’ve got a great school system, the place is very clean and the people are very nice.”

“In New Orleans, you’ve got high crime, you’ve got a bad educational system. Because of all the tourists, it’s hard to keep the city clean. It’s just hard. It’s entirely two different markets,” Shinn said. “They couldn’t survive without tourists. The whole city is built on it, and you’re not. You’re built to draw people that want to grow families.

“And a couple things impressed me, I’m a person of faith and I love this country. I’ve seen more flag-wavers here and more people that are God-fearing than any part of the country.”

Shinn said he figures a decision about the 2007-08 season would need to be made by December or January, so the team can start selling season tickets.

“I know we’ll be here next year,” Shinn said. “The year after that, who knows? I don’t know the answer to that question. I’m not about to even predict it because I don’t know at this point.”

BOOMERBRADLEY
5/9/2006, 08:40 AM
He's correct

SoonerShark
5/9/2006, 08:51 AM
It is nice that the employees of the Hornets are so happy here. I hope that includes the players and their families. The more I go to other large cities, the more I like Oklahoma City and Tulsa.

TheHumanAlphabet
5/9/2006, 11:58 AM
“In New Orleans, you’ve got high crime, you’ve got a bad educational system.”

:rcmad: Not anymore, they all moved to Houston and we are having to deal with them...

suncoastsooner7
5/9/2006, 12:41 PM
:rcmad: Not anymore, they all moved to Houston and we are having to deal with them...

You say this as though Houston didn't over take New Jersey years before Katrina as the car theft capital of the world. Houston has had problems with crime for as long as I can remember. It's probably worse now though with the influx or Orleanians. Sorry man... I would move.

Jimminy Crimson
5/9/2006, 03:13 PM
I hope that includes the players and their families.

It does. Trust me.

TheHumanAlphabet
5/9/2006, 03:18 PM
You say this as though Houston didn't over take New Jersey years before Katrina as the car theft capital of the world. Houston has had problems with crime for as long as I can remember. It's probably worse now though with the influx or Orleanians. Sorry man... I would move.

Houston is a great place to live, except if you are in the crime addled apartments where the NOLA's relocated. They have parked a special police command van last week in the southwest area of town where they settled. We got the gangs and the thugs from NOLA, though the crime hasn't moved far from the apartments.

As for the cars, my 15 year old Honda needing a paint job ain't prime stealing material. As long as you don't have a large SUV or an expensive sport car, your probably not going to find your car stolen and taken to Messico...

starclassic tama
5/9/2006, 11:30 PM
is god-fearing a compliment to most people?

Jimminy Crimson
5/9/2006, 11:45 PM
is god-fearing a compliment to most people?

Absolutely!

How could it not be?

Big Red Ron
5/10/2006, 02:10 AM
is god-fearing a compliment to most people?Beats devil worshiping people by a long shot.

starclassic tama
5/10/2006, 10:30 AM
Absolutely!

How could it not be?

the fact that people choose their faith out of fear and let it control their life... not a compliment to me

Big Red Ron
5/10/2006, 10:37 AM
the fact that people choose their faith out of fear and let it control their life... not a compliment to meDude, you need to study up on your philosophy and bush up on your religious slang. That is a term like a black guy calling another the n word. Not intended to be interpreted litterally. If, you are a Christian, you have nothing to fear.

Partial Qualifier
5/10/2006, 01:20 PM
Wow, New Orleans' public school system must REALLY be bad ;)

SoonerInKCMO
5/10/2006, 01:26 PM
The guys on PTI talked about this yesterday and were in agreement that they thought it best for the team to stay in OKC - and Wilbon has been especially critical of Shinn in the past when he moved the team out of Charlotte. Like Shinn, they didn't think that NOLA would be ready to support the team for 41 games.

starclassic tama
5/10/2006, 11:08 PM
That is a term like a black guy calling another the n word.

......? if christians have nothing to fear, why is being called god-fearing a compliment?

Jimminy Crimson
5/10/2006, 11:22 PM
......? if christians have nothing to fear, why is being called god-fearing a compliment?

It's not a literal translation.

It's like saying you're head over heels in love with some girl; you're not actually hanging upside down.

He basically means we're respectful, believe in a higher power, and have morals.

starclassic tama
5/11/2006, 02:07 PM
ok that makes sense... see big red ron you can get your point across and still be a polite nice young man =)

soonerbub
5/11/2006, 11:54 PM
The guys on PTI talked about this yesterday and were in agreement that they thought it best for the team to stay in OKC - and Wilbon has been especially critical of Shinn in the past when he moved the team out of Charlotte. Like Shinn, they didn't think that NOLA would be ready to support the team for 41 games.

I would be cool the year after next with a split between OKC and NO for home games. Then everyone gets an equal chance to support em. If we do better (like we can and would) they should stay.

The telltale sign for me was CP getting his trophy in OKC--if they make the playoffs next year they're stayin' :twinkies:

Jimminy Crimson
5/12/2006, 01:34 AM
I would be cool the year after next with a split between OKC and NO for home games. Then everyone gets an equal chance to support em. If we do better (like we can and would) they should stay.

Everyone loses in that scenario.

No way the NBA or team would let that happen. You'd pretty much have a 81 game road schedule.

Grimey
5/12/2006, 02:06 PM

fearing is kind of a funny word for it. What is meant is great respect or awe for.

I asked my Dad the same question once, because I didnt want to be afraid too. That was how it was explained to me.:)

scotplum
5/12/2006, 02:18 PM
fearing is kind of a funny word for it. What is meant is great respect or awe for.

In that case, I'm assuming you are a good Scott-Fearing person as well. ;)

Grimey
5/12/2006, 02:46 PM
In that case, I'm assuming you are a good Scott-Fearing person as well. ;)

you got me:D

you're like me. Don't post for a long time, then just come out of nowhere.

Okieflyer
5/12/2006, 02:55 PM

When you understand what the word fear means to a Christian or a Jew, then it makes perfect sense. Fear in the bible is a translated word. In the original Hebrew, arabic or greek, it means to be in awe of, ultimate respect. I hope this helps.

And yes it is a compliment. :D

scotplum
5/12/2006, 03:05 PM
you got me:D

you're like me. Don't post for a long time, then just come out of nowhere.

You're darn right! :D

I hear congrats are in order!

Grimey
5/12/2006, 03:15 PM
I hear congrats are in order!

For what? Oh you mean for not falling asleep at the wheel or at my desk because I was up the previous night listening to Lucas cry? Then yes, I should say congrats are in order:O

Lucas Charles Burton, born April 18 at 12:34 PM. Or as I like to call him, OU's punter of the future.:D

http://img126.imageshack.us/img126/2669/closeup8xy.th.jpg (http://img126.imageshack.us/my.php?image=closeup8xy.jpg)
click to enlarge

hurricane'bone
5/12/2006, 11:42 PM
Shinn's lawyer: Build gym or else

By Berry Tramel
The Oklahoman

George Shinn’s New Orleans lawyer said Thursday that if the state of Louisiana does not build an $8.5 million practice facility for the Hornets, relocation of the NBA franchise is a certainty.

However, Bill Hines told The Associated Press he was confident the state would not renege on the commitment, which was part of the 2002 deal that brought the Hornets from Charlotte, N.C.

Louisiana Gov. Kathleen Blanco did not return phone messages to the AP.

If the plan to return to New Orleans fell through, Shinn said, he would consider his franchise a “free agent” that could relocate to any city. However, sources say Shinn has said at several functions he plans to remain permanently in Oklahoma.

The Hornets, who have prospered in Oklahoma City since relocating in September after Hurricane Katrina, are scheduled to play 35 games in OKC next season and six in New Orleans. The Hornets have a lease with the New Orleans through 2012.

Oklahoma City mayor Mick Cornett said Thursday the city would not get into a competition with New Orleans, and any decision about building an OKC practice facility for the Hornets would be independent of the situation in Louisiana.

But multiple sources said Hornet officials and city officials have talked about a practice facility, should the NBA franchise relocate to Oklahoma City permanently.

“I understand there’s a package of things a major-league franchise expects,” Cornett said. “We are willing and able to make some capital improvements for the NBA.

“It’s never been relayed to me (by the Hornets) that you have to do that. But smart cities and smart markets keep up their arenas.”

A Hornet official several weeks ago laid out four requirements of New Thursday night, but Michael Thompson, the Hornets director of corporate communications, said “NBA teams certainly need a place to practice, but we are not in negotiations in Oklahoma or Oklahoma City about anything beyond 2006-07.“

A Hornet official several weeks ago laid out four requirements of New Orleans for the franchise to return. The Hornets now have gone public with two of those: the practice facility, which is tied to the lease, and a season-ticket commitment.

Shinn, the Hornets’ owner, said earlier this week he would ask New Orleans fans for a 25-percent down payment on 2007-08 tickets as a gauge for interest in the team’s return.

The other two requirements, according to the Hornets insider, are local investors - Shinn says he is talking with potential partners in both Oklahoma City and New Orleans - and major sponsors.

“If we get the investor group and sell the tickets and sponsorships, I have no doubt the team is coming back here ... so it’s ours to lose,” Hines told The Associated Press.

The Louisiana Stadium and Exposition Commission, which oversees the New Orleans Arena, is ready to meet with the Hornets to discuss a practice facility, commission chairman Tim Coulon told AP, “if in fact they have now become paramount to the future of the Hornets.

“It was never an issue before.” Coulon told AP, referring to negotiations that allowed the Hornets out of their lease for the 2006-07 season but not beyond.

Coulon said he does not believe the Hornets can break the lease, which runs through 2012, even if there is no practice facility built, but he said the commission wants the Hornets to be successful in Louisiana and therefore is willing to talk about it.

That’s not what Shinn’s lawyer said.

“If the state decides not to build the practice facility, it’s all over,” Hines told AP. “We fought really hard to get this team. It would be a shame.”

The state spent about $110 million to build the New Orleans Arena, which opened in October 1999 as the home of a minor league hockey team. However, the arena was designed for the NBA, and millions more were spent on upgrades to suites, locker rooms, scoreboards, lighting and sound systems after the Hornets decided to come to New Orleans.

As part of the deal, the city of New Orleans pledged to reimburse the state for $6.5 million of the cost of new practice courts and team offices, and mayor Ray Nagin has said recently that the money set aside for that purpose remains in an account, ready for release to the state when the deal on the facility is done.

Hines said he did not want to get into specific legal questions about the New Orleans Arena lease. However, he said if Louisiana builds the practice facility, it could be difficult for the Hornets to get out of their lease if the state decides not to let them buy their way out of it.

“The only thing (Gov. Blanco) owes the team right now is to build them a practice facility,“ Hines told AP. “The rest is not her problem.

“We need to step up and support our investment or frankly we were crazy to build that arena,” said Hines, who led the effort to lure the Hornets from Charlotte when he chaired the economic development arm of the local chamber of commerce.

Earlier Thursday, Shinn reiterated that his harsh criticism this week of New Orleans’ recovery from Hurricane Katrina stemmed from pent-up frustration with the slow flow of government aid needed to help the hardest hit storm victims rebuild.

Shinn met with potential Oklahoma City investors on Tuesday night as part of a celebration for Chris Paul’s Rookie of the Year award, and Shinn did the same Wednesday night with potential New Orleans investors.

Shinn called the meeting “a major step. Quite frankly, I feel pumped up.”

However, Shinn said he also wants to see the state commit to the practice facility and he’ll be monitoring commitments from season ticket holders.

In addition, Shinn told the AP that the approaching hurricane season, which begins June 1, “is frightening ... it’s going to scare us all to death.”

Hines said the investment group in New Orleans is a diverse group of current residents and some nonresidents with strong ties to the city. They have the money to buy the entire team if Shinn wanted to sell it, but would be willing to settle for being limited partners.

“It’s a business deal, but they made it very clear last night that they would primarily be doing this” as a civic gesture, Hines told AP. “The money’s real.”

Shinn said he has nondisclosure agreements with potential investors in both New Orleans and Oklahoma City, meaning their names cannot be announced until an agreement is reached.

An Oklahoma City group, Oklahoma Professional Sports, LLC., partnered with the city and state in providing revenue guarantees for the Hornets’ temporary relocation, and its spokesman, Clay Bennett, has said the group is interested in partnering with Shinn.

Hines said the New Orleans investors “are politically connected, they’re economically connected, they’re socially connected in different groups, and when it comes to selling sponsorships and tickets, that’s going to be a critical piece and that’s what they think they can bring to bear here.”

Shinn has been seeking investors to help him pay down a debt of at least $67 million he acquired to buy out his former partner, Ray Wooldridge, in early 2005.

http://newsok.com/article/1841402/?template=

SoonerShark
5/13/2006, 12:41 PM
Our best hope is that the folks who need to put 25% down in New Orleans for 2007-08 so early fail to do so. That or the New Orleans folks actually commit to the proper things rather than giving Shinn his $8-million practice erection.

Hopefully, a practice facilty will be no problem for OKC. Isn't I-40 moving south? With that and other consideration, a facility nearby should be no problem.